Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Releasing Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update

Microsoft Releasing Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Later This Month

In the next week or two, Windows Update will list a new, "Important" update for you to download. It'll be called "Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7," and if you're running a bootleg copy of Windows 7, beware.

The optional update will sniff out 70 "known and potentially dangerous activation exploits" that are meant to distinguish a genuine copy of Windows 7 from a pirated one.

http://gizmodo.com/5469764/microsoft-releasing-windows-7-anti+piracy-update-later-this-month

Comments

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Will be cracked / rendered useless within a week of them releasing it.

Just watch.

-------------------------

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Just watch.

True, why do they even waste their time on this topic.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

They do this to catch the dumber theifs who won't read about the coming update and those won't find work arounds. They are also trying to scare people who might be consider downloading illegal copies in the future.

I don't see a problem. If you have a legal copy you have nothing to worry about. I'm not against companies trying to protect their product from being stolen. Provided they don't invade my privacy, hinder my experience, or compromise my security.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Im more sad that people are actually buying something that over priced. It a monopoly they control and charging 200-300$ dollars for new users. Anything that can be copy and pasted shouldn't be charge more then 60$. I know it cost them 6billion for both windows vista and windows 7 from the wiki but they made 6.6billion just off of windows 7 first quater of it release.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Devalon

Im more sad that people are actually buying something that over priced. It a monopoly they control and charging 200-300$ dollars for new users. Anything that can be copy and pasted shouldn't be charge more then 60$. I know it cost them 6billion for both windows vista and windows 7 from the wiki but they made 6.6billion just off of windows 7 first quater of it release.

$104 on newegg and $114 at the local Fry's FYI.  (Win7 Home Premium 64 bit)

As a student and part time worker, I cant justify spending more then 50$ on software.

If you think it's over priced then don't buy it. The right way to protest is to switch to something else (e.g. Linux).

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by -Jaguar-

If you think it's over priced then don't buy it. The right way to protest is to switch to something else (e.g. Linux).

thats easy for you to say i bet but then im glad not everyone is like you:P either way its easy to just not download the update once it comes if you change the settings so it does not download updates by it self like many people never think to change

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I wonder what the percentage of people who bash Apple also bash microsoft?  And from these people, what operating system they choose to run.

people loooovee to bash windows and microsoft, but tell them they have other options and they wouldnt have it any other way.  You couldnt pry their windows OS from them if you tried.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Thrift

As a student and part time worker, I cant justify spending more then 50$ on software.

If your school is offering it to you for $50, and you're a "part-time worker", how can you not justify the cost? FYI it was 29.99 for students at launch.

What is a justifyable cost, for a student and part-time worker? Free? New MMOs cost more.

They do this to catch the dumber theifs who won't read about the coming update and those won't find work arounds. They are also trying to scare people who might be consider downloading illegal copies in the future.

Not really. If they wanted to sneak an update out, they wouldn't put their PR team on announcing and discussing said update.

Said update could also do something malicious like shut down the computer immediately and at every startup, rather than simply tell the user that they're running an illegitimate copy and give them options to pays.

As it stands though, Microsoft has announced the update, exactly what it entails, and has offered it through a completely voluntary channel.

No feats of computer savvy needed to get around not installing the update and thus avoiding its penalties. But it does highlight the miserable experience for pirates who'd rather dodge security updates and service packs for the life of an operating system rather than plop down 100 dollars.

Originally posted by Raiizen
    thats easy for you to say i bet but then im glad not everyone is like you:P either way its easy to just not download the update once it comes if you change the settings so it does not download updates by it self like many people never think to change

Have fun not getting any more updates. Let's see how that works out.

Originally posted by sepher
    Not really. If they wanted to sneak an update out, they wouldn't put their PR team on announcing and discussing said update.
    Said update could also do something malicious like shut down the computer immediately and at every startup, rather than simply tell the user that they're running an illegitimate copy and give them options to pays.
    As it stands though, Microsoft has announced the update, exactly what it entails, and has offered it through a completely voluntary channel.
    No feats of computer savvy needed to get around not installing the update and thus avoiding its penalties. But it does highlight the miserable experience for pirates who'd rather dodge security updates and service packs for the life of an operating system rather than plop down 100 dollars.

Which is why I said to catch the dumber thiefs. The ones who don't keep up with the news. And like I said they are trying to deter future people from pirating by making this public.

If you are going to argue the update could cause instability or some other harm, then you are arguing against all updates. I bet you aren't against all security updates.

$100 is not too much for a piece of software that you will use everyday for many years. You pay more for an MMORPG. Also like an MMORPG, Windows is constantly being updated. I have no problem with the price point.

Im not sure you read through everything:P you can just select not to download that one certain update its not like updates come in 1 pack or anything or is this all new to you? You do know this will screw over some legit users aswell 100%? Read up on what WGA did to vista and get back to us. And i have a legit copy my self so thats no problem and its not like its not going to get cracked or anything anyways.

If your school is offering it to you for $50, and you're a "part-time worker", how can you not justify the cost? FYI it was 29.99 for students at launch.

What is a justifyable cost, for a student and part-time worker? Free? New MMOs cost more.

Where did I say my school was offering it for 50$. Im talking in general Im not going to spend more then 50$ on software, ie windows 7, microsoft office. etc

Where did I say my school was offering it for 50$. Im talking in general Im not going to spend more then 50$ on software, ie windows 7, microsoft office. etc

I said "if" your school was selling it for $50 via Microsoft's Academic Alliance. No stores certainly aren't.

And that's fine. It's up to you to decide what things are worth to you. I was just curious as to how 50 dollars was too much for a student and part-time worker, and not justifyable. Obviously though you have other reasons as to why $50 is too much for you.

Which is why I said to catch the dumber thiefs. The ones who don't keep up with the news. And like I said they are trying to deter future people from pirating by making this public.

If you are going to argue the update could cause instability or some other harm, then you are arguing against all updates. I bet you aren't against all security updates.

Yeah I agree. I was just pointing out that while some not in the know will update and get caught, it isn't exactly a trap that Microsoft is setting.

And no I wasn't arguing the update could cause instability etc. Quite the opposite, I was saying if Microsoft -did- want to do things like that, which they have done in the past with people milking betas and RCs and etc, they could've this time rather than put their PR team on education the press and pirates about the patch.

Im not sure you read through everything:P you can just select not to download that one certain update its not like updates come in 1 pack or anything or is this all new to you? You do know this will screw over some legit users aswell 100%? Read up on what WGA did to vista and get back to us. And i have a legit copy my self so thats no problem and its not like its not going to get cracked or anything anyways.

It's optional for now, but there's no reason to expect Microsoft to play softball forever. It ceases being optional if say, this update comes packaged in SP1. Then a pirate is without major system updates and changes.

How will this update screw up legit customers as well "100%"? Did WGA for Vista somehow screw it up for 100% of legit customers? I don't recall being screwed by WGA on any of my Vista systems.

And software will always be cracked. But it's quite the pitiful experience constantly watching for what updates not to get. The legitimate customers are fine, Microsoft too, in terms of user experience its always the pirates with the least enjoyable. So I'm not sure why they always feel they have the last laugh.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

$100 is not too much for a piece of software that you will use everyday for many years. You pay more for an MMORPG. Also like an MMORPG, Windows is constantly being updated. I have no problem with the price point.

I Wouldn't mind paying a 100$ for it. If i can install it on every computer in my house like I can an mmorpg. I'll have to pay atleast 300$ to install windows 7 UPGRADE on all my computer in the house(3 computers). Also an mmo doesn't have a monopoly on the gaming market.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Just watch.

your wrong !loa laporte interviewed a ms guy when they were beta testing last year

ms knew how many were illigal copy !why they let it slide then ,because they needed data more then they needed those game copy,so they let the iligal copy run and concentrated on gatering what they whated data,from old system new system thing we take for granted,now that is finally over they ll crack down on the illigal copy if you think ms

didnt add tool to manage anything you can do your wrong !you ll see !its very easy for ms to know genuine from fake!

this time around most of you havent a clue what was in vista.

ms used vista as their base then cooked the w7 version do you honestly believe all the crapp they had to put in vista is gone

hell no!im happy tho it will only get rid of pirate its pretty accurate in its ain (frighningly so im afraid byby hacker,byby pirate!

good ridance!see you all pirate in linux!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i think ms reased a version that has 3 licence in it

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

I Wouldn't mind paying a 100$ for it. If i can install it on every computer in my house like I can an mmorpg. I'll have to pay atleast 300$ to install windows 7 UPGRADE on all my computer in the house(3 computers). Also an mmo doesn't have a monopoly on the gaming market.

someone needs to spend that money on a dictionary and look up what a monopoly is

member of imminst.org

That's a shallow analogy, since installation and activation is hardly the reasons you buy software. What's important is the "uses", and you have no more concurrent users of an MMO than you do Windows 7 for 1 box. You're alloted 1 concurrent use.

The only difference you could argue is that because your one use of an account is hosted on a server, its ok for you to access it through any computer. Because your use of Windows occurs locally, that one use has to be limited to one PC; else you'd be able to go beyond that one and into a billion.

I wouldn't be offended by the common sense of licensing per PC. Most commercial software independent from an online service runs that way.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Just watch.

your wrong !loa laporte interviewed a ms guy when they were beta testing last year

ms knew how many were illigal copy !why they let it slide then ,because they needed data more then they needed those game copy,so they let the iligal copy run and concentrated on gatering what they whated data,from old system new system thing we take for granted,now that is finally over they ll crack down on the illigal copy if you think ms

didnt add tool to manage anything you can do your wrong !you ll see !its very easy for ms to know genuine from fake!

this time around most of you havent a clue what was in vista.

ms used vista as their base then cooked the w7 version do you honestly believe all the crapp they had to put in vista is gone

hell no!im happy tho it will only get rid of pirate its pretty accurate in its ain (frighningly so im afraid byby hacker,byby pirate!

good ridance!see you all pirate in linux!

System overload to much stupidity at once system shutting down......