Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much fun is being a pirate?

wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

Did the 14 day trial, wasnt fully convinced on subbing since all there seemed to do was mine and missions that involve going here, killing that. Each time i expressed interest in pvp i was told to wait because id get roflstomped into the ground and i needed a good corp and a good ship. well, if i were to join a pirate corp centered on pvp would that liven the game up?

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I hate griefers who do that to new players. They're as bad as the assholes that tell newbs to train learning skills to 5.

Short answer: train to use a Microwarp Drive, a Warp Disruptor and small guns. Get your racial frigate skill to 3. Hull upgrades to 2. Join Red vs Blue and have some fun learning to fight. You can drop out of RvB at any time, and rejoin whenever you want. It's the nearest thing EVE has to Arena PVP.

Once you've got a little PVP experience, the best way to learn to pirate is to go and pirate some.

EDIT: By the way, you will get rofflestomped quite a bit. But soon enough you'll start winning fights. You'll learn what your doing. And of course your character skills will improve, which helps.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• JDGalisJDGalis Member UncommonPosts: 143

Subject Question: Its very fun, the excitement and blood rushing of engagements can get the heart pumping. Like yesterday i was just cruising the asteroid belts looking for targets and then all of the sudden a hurricane and a hound (battlecruiser and a tech 2 frigate) warp in on me, i nearly had the hound but he got out of my scramblers range, he left the cane couldnt break my tank so he had some ecm drones to break lock on me and he managed to warp out.  ^^ we both called out fun fight in local and hell they even invited me to their corp lol.  Even though i've been playing for quite a while for new guys it can be an awesome/fun experience as well.

Post question: Yes it's always better to have fly mates & they'll show you the ropes.

Introducing the best signature ever!

[signature] Best Signature [/signature]

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

when i started pvp i became a pirate.... and never could get into any other kind of pvp. It's great, there are months though where there seems to be large gangs everywhere and bait everywhre. Piracy is hard and takes alot of isk if you solo alot, if you dont mind the sec status and can make isk some other way then i say go for it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• GrunancaGrunanca Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by wilberg

Did the 14 day trial, wasnt fully convinced on subbing since all there seemed to do was mine and missions that involve going here, killing that. Each time i expressed interest in pvp i was told to wait because id get roflstomped into the ground and i needed a good corp and a good ship. well, if i were to join a pirate corp centered on pvp would that liven the game up?

While I admit I have been in the game for almost 5 years and daily make a living pirating, I have made an alt to spy in the faction warfare. While doing this I have ended up in a couple of fights and even won most all while flying a frigate with a 2 months old char. So to sum it up, its not THAT hard to start up.

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I hate griefers who do that to new players. They're as bad as the assholes that tell newbs to train learning skills to 5.

Short answer: train to use a Microwarp Drive, a Warp Disruptor and small guns. Get your racial frigate skill to 3. Hull upgrades to 2. Join Red vs Blue and have some fun learning to fight. You can drop out of RvB at any time, and rejoin whenever you want. It's the nearest thing EVE has to Arena PVP.
    Once you've got a little PVP experience, the best way to learn to pirate is to go and pirate some.

EDIT: By the way, you will get rofflestomped quite a bit. But soon enough you'll start winning fights. You'll learn what your doing. And of course your character skills will improve, which helps.

Hah, thats funny because in the help channel and the clan i joined they all told me to skill up my learning skills to 5 AND Red vs Blue was a waste and wouldnt tell me how to join it.

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

I pirate, but in Worm Holes. No sec status loss and the targets are juicy! ( 2bil Tengu kill last night )

Most of the time we don't ransom; we / I make enough isk that we can kill whomever we want. When we do ransom / extort a corp into paying us it goes into the corp wallet.

There are plenty of WH Diving PVP corps out there; something to keep in mind when looking for a corp.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

How much fun is being a pirate?

IMHO, not much. Lots and lots of down time. Pirates are usually strictly PVP groups and don't really do much else. But, they aren't going to fight a whole lot more than the null sec alliances that aren't pirates, but they are going to have alot more fun doing the PVE in EVE and doing other things to occupy the time. If you know where to find it, there is actually some pretty damn good PVE in EVE and it's a hell of alot more profitable than anything else. All that high sec carebear lvl 4 mission stuff isn't nothing, the fun is in null sec. PVP and PVE wise.

Pirating is alot of "........................................................... I hope I see someone soon. I have to log off sometime in the next 36hrs".

Know what the best part of being an anti-pirate or just not being a pirate is? Not only do you get almost just as much action as pirates, but YOU DON'T LOSE SEC STATUS AND CAN GO TO HIGH SEC IF YOU NEED TO!

It really is a pain in the ass juggling alts or adding 30-40 jumps to a 10 jump route, just because you can't enter certain systems.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

well to have fun as a pirate you may need to team up with some other fellow that have the same intrests. in Pirat carrier ;)

The easy option is to join a corp the but they would like you to have the basic skills how to engage battle that means you need experiance both irl and the skills in game to atleast be able to shot and drive a frigate.

The experiance you get by either join a corp that is willing to take up a rockie or make some missions so meanwhile your skills grow you make missions to get some knowledge in battle/(engage combat.

without knowledge in battle you wont be that much of a pirate ;)

thats my tip..

ps.wilberg read what Malcani wrote about skills

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

The saddest PvPer in EVE pirates are. Period. If you wanna see a real pvp, go to 0.0.

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

I think this explains everything:

You are a Pirate

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

The best times I've had in this game was when I was a in a group of.....self-hired privateers.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Kshahdoo
    The saddest PvPer in EVE pirates are. Period. If you wanna see a real pvp, go to 0.0.

A+ comedy.