Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning to start this game.. a few questions....

xuitonxuiton Member Posts: 133

First off I really appreciate anybody who can help me.

1) Is it worth starting this game? I know it forces you to group which am pleased about. But I would be literally starting from level one and since this game as been out along time I think i'd run into alot of problems just trying to find a group to even begin with.

I've always wanted to try and play this game but just never got around to bothering, but I thought yesterday that I really want to give it ago at least until FF 14 is released since there are no mmos that currently interest me.

2) Any useful websites that could help me get into things if i do decide to subscribe? I am downloading the free trial as I type this.

Like I said I would appreciate any input so I know if I will be wasting my time and money.

Thanks.

P.S if anyone would also like to give me a buddy access thing so i can try for more than 14 days i'd also be very greatful

Comments

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Well the thing is that this game was released before WoW. And although a lot of content was updated since then, it just isn't really going to suit a lot of people these days after playing everything else. Just  find something else or continue playing what you have in the meantime until FFXIV is released.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• xuitonxuiton Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

Well the thing is that this game was released before WoW. And although a lot of content was updated since then, it just isn't really going to suit a lot of people these days after playing everything else. Just  find something else or continue playing what you have in the meantime until FFXIV is released.

Nah, I despise WoW and I do not want to return to my previous mmo's.

My trial has nearly finished downloading. Any server suggestions for a new EU player? preferably one that has a new players in it.

Can't really tell ya. I have a copy. Played it twice but since then I have long forgotten my PW. You can despise WoW for whatever reasons but there is less content and less to do in FFXI than in WoW. Especially if you haven't truly played the game through at least once. About a million subscribers still seem to enjoy it.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Just like I said to all the other newbies that wanted to try this game, go for it. My usual warning is that the game does take some time to get used to and it doesnt necessarily hold you hand. What your getting into is a MMO thats difficult, takes a long to learn and even longer to master. Over the years however, the game has become much more pleasant to newly started characters. If this feels like something you want to commit to then continue reading.

Of all the MMOs ive ever played (just about tried them all) this game rises above all the rest. Its a combination of an amazing community you cannot find elsewhere (you will always have asshats and 12 year olds occasionally, but the community is very mature overall), the sheer massive size of the world and what you can do in it is simply astonishing. The endgame Is merely endless with many many many events that can be done. There are many jobs to select and play as well as sub jobs (think of it as a extra class you tag on your character that is half you you current level. This gives you abilities and traits to adjust to you playstyle.)

While many will warn you of the grind, the game has gotten a lot easier for the beginners-intermediate groups as far as being able to solo longer (originally you solo your char from 1 to at least level 10 which afterward you group up in level areas and level with players). To me I never felt like this game was a grind, I simply had so much fun playing with others and enjoyed the battle system so much that it never really bored me. As far as being a new player it doesnt matter what level you are its very easy to group thanks to the level sync system : wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Level_Sync

If you want to play a game where a players skill truly applies, in a world thats vast with nearly endless content to explore in a beautiful and filled with amazing people then this game is for you. If your a WoW kiddie that takes everything for granted and likes his hand held and given free handouts, this game is not for you. For some general information where you can look at the missions and storyline of the game and its classes with other detailed information : wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Since Im unable to explain why this game gives you a feeling a atmosphere you cant find in any other mmo, i shall disclose two videos that do.  www.youtube.com/watch and www.youtube.com/watch

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

Just like I said to all the other newbies that wanted to try this game, go for it. My usual warning is that the game does take some time to get used to and it doesnt necessarily hold you hand. What your getting into is a MMO thats difficult, takes a long to learn and even longer to master. Over the years however, the game has become much more pleasant to newly started characters. If this feels like something you want to commit to then continue reading.

Of all the MMOs ive ever played (just about tried them all) this game rises above all the rest. Its a combination of an amazing community you cannot find elsewhere (you will always have asshats and 12 year olds occasionally, but the community is very mature overall), the sheer massive size of the world and what you can do in it is simply astonishing. The endgame Is merely endless with many many many events that can be done. There are many jobs to select and play as well as sub jobs (think of it as a extra class you tag on your character that is half you you current level. This gives you abilities and traits to adjust to you playstyle.)
    While many will warn you of the grind, the game has gotten a lot easier for the beginners-intermediate groups as far as being able to solo longer (originally you solo your char from 1 to at least level 10 which afterward you group up in level areas and level with players). To me I never felt like this game was a grind, I simply had so much fun playing with others and enjoyed the battle system so much that it never really bored me. As far as being a new player it doesnt matter what level you are its very easy to group thanks to the level sync system : wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Level_Sync
    If you want to play a game where a players skill truly applies, in a world thats vast with nearly endless content to explore in a beautiful and filled with amazing people then this game is for you. If your a WoW kiddie that takes everything for granted and likes his hand held and given free handouts, this game is not for you. For some general information where you can look at the missions and storyline of the game and its classes with other detailed information : wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Since Im unable to explain why this game gives you a feeling a atmosphere you cant find in any other mmo, i shall disclose two videos that do.  www.youtube.com/watch and www.youtube.com/watch

Thank you darkfalz for the information but in your opinion if you still play this game what server for a beginner would you recommend?

I'm also having trouble installing the trial, after the game is installed it keeps taking me to playonline viewer and downloading an update that apparently will take 9 hours to complete lol.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Can't really tell ya. I have a copy. Played it twice but since then I have long forgotten my PW. You can despise WoW for whatever reasons but there is less content and less to do in FFXI than in WoW. Especially if you haven't truly played the game through at least once. About a million subscribers still seem to enjoy it.

You played it twice have long forgotten the PW but feel qualified to discuss FFXI's level of content in such absolute terms.

Gotta love it.

Incidentally, r3zs1ckn3ss... I just saw this reply, by you, posted only days ago on 1/31, to someone in the WoW forums who was talking about how there's so little to do in WoW and they're bored. Below is a direct copy and paste of a response from you, in  this post, to his comments...

"This is just about all MMO's. You're limiting yourself."

Let's let that sink in and bask in the irony for a moment.

Someone plays WoW, gets at least one character to level cap, has a few other characters leveled, has gone through the dungeons many times over, and feels they've run out of fun things to do in WoW and are bored. You tell them they're "limiting them self" and provide advice that amounts to "roll alts and do it all again".

Then, you come here about 8 days later, and respond to someone asking about FFXI by admiting you played it twice before losing your password and, presumably, didn't play any further. Yet, you proceed to tell them not to bother playing, claiming there's not a lot of content.

Psst... Hey r3zs1ckn3ss... Your bias is showing.

As for WoW having more content... Ah... no. Allow me to fill you in with a few facts about FFXI's content.

Current activities available in FFXI:

1) 20 Jobs - All accessible on one character; combining with different support jobs provides variety in playstyle

2) Crafting/Synthing - Create armor, foods, potions, etc. etc.

3) Missions - The original storyline, plus 4 full expansions, plus 3 mini-expansions' worth - easily 100+ hours of content to complete those alone if you choose.

4) Battlefields: Instanced arena-type combat for anywhere from 3 to 18 players, ranging from level 20 up to level 75. Six different types, each with their own twist, including Allied Notes Notorious MonstersOrb Battles (BCNMs)Empty Notorious Monsters Imperial Standing Notorious Monsters,Stronghold Notorious Monsters and Zeni Notorious Monsters which really deserves its own category

5) Assault - short-term, goal-based missions, about 50 different mission types in all, earn status and some nice rewards

6) Besieged - help protect the city of Aht Urghan from waves of attacking beastmen

7) Campaign - 3 Different types of content in this category, Campaign Battle, Campaign Ops and Headhunting

8) Einherjiar - A large-scale multiplayer battlefield, somewhat like raid instances, but with its own rules

9) Conflict - 2 different types of "PvP-like" content, including Brenner, Ballista

10) Sky - an unlockable area of the game with a couple tiers of raid bosses to fight through

11)
    Sea - another unlockable region of the game with more challenging creatures to defeat

12) Dynamis - An alternate "dream world" version of Vana'diel; large group content where you fight through attempting to extend your time limit to reach and defeat the final boss of each area.

13) Limbus - Similar in basic concept to Dynamis, but with its own rules, areas, creatures, rewards and twists.

14) Salvage - Explore ruins with a group as you try to remove a curse placed on you and fight through to the end before time runs out

15) Nyzul Isle Investigation - An event unto itself; progress with a group through 100 floors of randomly selected layouts and challenges, from locating and activating lamps, to locating and defeating raid-type creatures, all within a time limit.

16) Garrison - Defend an outpost from up to 4 waves of attacking beastmen, with up to an alliance of other players

17) Moblin Maze Mongers - "Moblin Maze Mongers is a system that allows players to create built-to-order dungeons ("mazes") with custom settings and rules, that can be enjoyed alone or together with friends."

18) Quests - A huge number of quests broken down into 8 categories, by nation/country/etc

19)  Chocobo Raising - An entire system of raising a chocobo from an egg to full-grown chocobo you can summon to get around more quickly, which you can then race (see next item), breed with other players' chocobos, or enter in activities like "Chocobo Hot and Cold". You have control over your chocobo's strength, speed, intelligence, etc. etc. based upon how you raise it.

20) Chocobo Racing - See how well you've done in raising your chocobo by racing it against other players for prizes.

21) Pankration - Capture and customize creatures of your own and then enter them in a competition against other players' creatures for prizes.

22) Other Hobbies - Up to 7other activities you can partake in for fun or profit.

I think I might have missed one or two things... probably more.

So that's at least 22 categories of content, some with several sub-categories, and every one of them is an entire activity unto itself. Check out any one of those, and you're likely to see pages' worth of rules and information on how it works. Nothing in FFXI is done half-assed, and many qualify as entire games unto themselves.

I'd say there's a few more options than just "rolling an alt" for someone who's looking for other things to do. And, because all achievements are tied to the character and not the job (class), you don't have to repeat most of it, unless you want to.

There are many things you can criticize FFXI for... It has an obtuse interface that's difficult to learn, it runs on aging tech, etc. etc... But one thing you cannot say about FFXI is that it lacks content. No freaking way. I would go so far as to say that when it comes to pure content, FFXI is very likely at the top of the list. People who started playing the game when it launched - 8 years ago - have yet to even come close to doing everything there is to do.

Having played both extensively, I will say that no way does WoW surpass FFXI in terms of content.

In my opinion, for all its bumps and bruises and despite its age (or perhaps because of it) FFXI is one of the few remaining MMORPGs out there that *truly* deserves its RPG label and long-term value for the money.

Also, here's another great video I've always enjoyed for FFXI: Clicky!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by xuiton

Thank you darkfalz for the information but in your opinion if you still play this game what server for a beginner would you recommend?

I'm also having trouble installing the trial, after the game is installed it keeps taking me to playonline viewer and downloading an update that apparently will take 9 hours to complete lol.

FFXI can be a pain to get started with - PlayOnline isn't the most "user friendly" piece of software... They had a good idea with it, but just really poorly executed. They're doing away with it for FFXIV and will go with a more standard login system.

Just make sure you keep your PlayOnline ID and password written down and stored somewhere.. those are all you'll need if you ever need to reinstall or re-activate. Also, do *not* cancel the PlayOnline ID. If you want to take a break from the game, just cancel the Content ID(s) your character(s) is/are attached to - that's what you're actually billed for. The PlayOnline ID is free.

As for which server is most newbie friendly... really... any of them I would think. I don't know of one that's any more or less newbie friendly. If you start on Pandemonium, look me up... Shanree.

Also... that second vid linked in the previous post is on Pandy.. I recognized several names in there. Woot!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If i was still playing i would help you out no problem,i always had more fun helping than playing lol.

I went back to playing EQ2 and although it was fun for a week or so,i am now seeing why i left last time.The game and the community has been turned into another WOW,tons of immature people and tons of exploiting and everyone seems to be ok with it,very sad community.Of course there is still lots of good people as in any other game,but so far i see too many immature people in chat.I should have just turned chat off,something i never considered in FFXI.

Too bad i wish i just kept my FFXI accounts open even if i didn't play much,it is still the best game and community out there.The community in FFXI changed a lot as well,all those people who received help and were friendly in the early days are now power trippers that ignore noobs with no sub job.

I really wish i could help,because early days in FFXI can be a nightmare,so much to learn.Your best bet is to ask questions here,someone will answer them.EVERYTHING is sort of done different than what most people are used to ,so yes it can be frustrating,but after you learn the game,you will understand how smart the developer was.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RectifyerRectifyer Member Posts: 103

There are a good number of new players on Asura. I just started on Asura two days ago. If you enjoyed ANY of the Final Fantasy games then you will enjoy this game. It doesn't play like a standard computer MMORPG. The game was designed for the PS2 and can be played ENTIRELY without a mouse which I find fun. It is a really immersive RPG with tons of people :)

I'll try on Asura then and see how that goes.

Originally posted by Wizardry

If i was still playing i would help you out no problem,i always had more fun helping than playing lol.
    I went back to playing EQ2 and although it was fun for a week or so,i am now seeing why i left last time.The game and the community has been turned into another WOW,tons of immature people and tons of exploiting and everyone seems to be ok with it,very sad community.Of course there is still lots of good people as in any other game,but so far i see too many immature people in chat.I should have just turned chat off,something i never considered in FFXI.
    Too bad i wish i just kept my FFXI accounts open even if i didn't play much,it is still the best game and community out there.The community in FFXI changed a lot as well,all those people who received help and were friendly in the early days are now power trippers that ignore noobs with no sub job.
    I really wish i could help,because early days in FFXI can be a nightmare,so much to learn.Your best bet is to ask questions here,someone will answer them.EVERYTHING is sort of done different than what most people are used to ,so yes it can be frustrating,but after you learn the game,you will understand how smart the developer was.

Not sure when you played last, but they've added a series of new player tutorials to FFXI now, that take you through most of the basics that you'll need to know as you progress.. how to use the Auction House, what Signet is and why it's good to have, how foods benefit you, etc. etc. It's pretty much impossible to not get the quests - or atleast become aware of them - because if you try running out of town, you go into a cut-scene where the quest NPC stops you and basically says "Hey... you look like you could use some advice...". You get some nice rewards from it, too.. some food, an xp ring, etc.

So yeah.. they've definitely taken steps to make the first several hours more newbie friendly for sure.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by xuiton

There is quite an amount of updates to run and based on your internet speed it could well take about nine hours lol. Sorry for the long response time but i kinda forgot about this thread. Funny thing has it I played on the Asura server, but sold the account a while back because it was the only way i could focus on school. A friend of mine gave me his account which ill use to PL my new char. Just like you im starting anew after playing the game for 3 years and thats all the proof you need that its not too late to start. I am starting a new toon on the asura server as soon as i get my bank sorted out and whatnot. Im going to be joining with some RL friends so keep in touch, my email is [email protected] Ill hit you up when i start again and enjoy the game in the meantime.

There is quite an amount of updates to run and based on your internet speed it could well take about nine hours lol. Sorry for the long response time but i kinda forgot about this thread. Funny thing has it I played on the Asura server, but sold the account a while back because it was the only way i could focus on school. A friend of mine gave me his account which ill use to PL my new char. Just like you im starting anew after playing the game for 3 years and thats all the proof you need that its not too late to start. I am starting a new toon on the asura server as soon as i get my bank sorted out and whatnot. Im going to be joining with some RL friends so keep in touch, my email is [email protected] Ill hit you up when i start again and enjoy the game in the meantime.

Alright i'll add you on msn then, my screen name is mattyy so you'll know its me lol.

I am still figuring out the basics of the game and the weird controls, i've borrowed my friends xbox controller to see if its easier to play with that, than keyboard.

Originally posted by WSIMike

You played it twice have long forgotten the PW but feel qualified to discuss FFXI's level of content in such absolute terms.

Gotta love it.

Incidentally, r3zs1ckn3ss... I just saw this reply, by you, posted only days ago on 1/31, to someone in the WoW forums who was talking about how there's so little to do in WoW and they're bored. Below is a direct copy and paste of a response from you, in  this post, to his comments...

"This is just about all MMO's. You're limiting yourself."

Let's let that sink in and bask in the irony for a moment.

Someone plays WoW, gets at least one character to level cap, has a few other characters leveled, has gone through the dungeons many times over, and feels they've run out of fun things to do in WoW and are bored. You tell them they're "limiting them self" and provide advice that amounts to "roll alts and do it all again".

Then, you come here about 8 days later, and respond to someone asking about FFXI by admiting you played it twice before losing your password and, presumably, didn't play any further. Yet, you proceed to tell them not to bother playing, claiming there's not a lot of content.

Psst... Hey r3zs1ckn3ss... Your bias is showing.

As for WoW having more content... Ah... no. Allow me to fill you in with a few facts about FFXI's content.

Current activities available in FFXI:

1) 20 Jobs - All accessible on one character; combining with different support jobs provides variety in playstyle

2) Crafting/Synthing - Create armor, foods, potions, etc. etc.

3) Missions - The original storyline, plus 4 full expansions, plus 3 mini-expansions' worth - easily 100+ hours of content to complete those alone if you choose.

4) Battlefields: Instanced arena-type combat for anywhere from 3 to 18 players, ranging from level 20 up to level 75. Six different types, each with their own twist, including Allied Notes Notorious MonstersOrb Battles (BCNMs)Empty Notorious Monsters Imperial Standing Notorious Monsters,Stronghold Notorious Monsters and Zeni Notorious Monsters which really deserves its own category

5) Assault - short-term, goal-based missions, about 50 different mission types in all, earn status and some nice rewards

6) Besieged - help protect the city of Aht Urghan from waves of attacking beastmen

7) Campaign - 3 Different types of content in this category, Campaign Battle, Campaign Ops and Headhunting

8) Einherjiar - A large-scale multiplayer battlefield, somewhat like raid instances, but with its own rules

9) Conflict - 2 different types of "PvP-like" content, including Brenner, Ballista

10) Sky - an unlockable area of the game with a couple tiers of raid bosses to fight through

11)
    Sea - another unlockable region of the game with more challenging creatures to defeat

12) Dynamis - An alternate "dream world" version of Vana'diel; large group content where you fight through attempting to extend your time limit to reach and defeat the final boss of each area.

13) Limbus - Similar in basic concept to Dynamis, but with its own rules, areas, creatures, rewards and twists.

14) Salvage - Explore ruins with a group as you try to remove a curse placed on you and fight through to the end before time runs out

15) Nyzul Isle Investigation - An event unto itself; progress with a group through 100 floors of randomly selected layouts and challenges, from locating and activating lamps, to locating and defeating raid-type creatures, all within a time limit.

16) Garrison - Defend an outpost from up to 4 waves of attacking beastmen, with up to an alliance of other players

17) Moblin Maze Mongers - "Moblin Maze Mongers is a system that allows players to create built-to-order dungeons ("mazes") with custom settings and rules, that can be enjoyed alone or together with friends."

18) Quests - A huge number of quests broken down into 8 categories, by nation/country/etc

19)  Chocobo Raising - An entire system of raising a chocobo from an egg to full-grown chocobo you can summon to get around more quickly, which you can then race (see next item), breed with other players' chocobos, or enter in activities like "Chocobo Hot and Cold". You have control over your chocobo's strength, speed, intelligence, etc. etc. based upon how you raise it.

20) Chocobo Racing - See how well you've done in raising your chocobo by racing it against other players for prizes.

21) Pankration - Capture and customize creatures of your own and then enter them in a competition against other players' creatures for prizes.

22) Other Hobbies - Up to 7other activities you can partake in for fun or profit.

I think I might have missed one or two things... probably more.

So that's at least 22 categories of content, some with several sub-categories, and every one of them is an entire activity unto itself. Check out any one of those, and you're likely to see pages' worth of rules and information on how it works. Nothing in FFXI is done half-assed, and many qualify as entire games unto themselves.

I'd say there's a few more options than just "rolling an alt" for someone who's looking for other things to do. And, because all achievements are tied to the character and not the job (class), you don't have to repeat most of it, unless you want to.

There are many things you can criticize FFXI for... It has an obtuse interface that's difficult to learn, it runs on aging tech, etc. etc... But one thing you cannot say about FFXI is that it lacks content. No freaking way. I would go so far as to say that when it comes to pure content, FFXI is very likely at the top of the list. People who started playing the game when it launched - 8 years ago - have yet to even come close to doing everything there is to do.

Having played both extensively, I will say that no way does WoW surpass FFXI in terms of content.

In my opinion, for all its bumps and bruises and despite its age (or perhaps because of it) FFXI is one of the few remaining MMORPGs out there that *truly* deserves its RPG label and long-term value for the money.

Also, here's another great video I've always enjoyed for FFXI: Clicky!

Doesn't really matter if you deem me qualified or not. I have an opinion. And it wasn't even an opinion really. I basically stated that I played, it didn't hold my interest, and I defended WoW like many who defend other games. FFXI is great to a lot of people. And that's awsome. And yes it does have a massive community and I know a couple of guys who have been playing since around 2004/2005 and still play. But that still doesn't exclude that fact that WoW still has a solid active community and a fair share of content as well. My only gripe is that they made the game was too easy by directing it towards casual gamers. So by no means if you feel that FFXI is your type of MMO, then go for it. I personally (and here goes another one of my "opinions") would just wait until FFXIV. I'm sure if XI is that expansive, then you can bet that it's going to be 100x better being that they have a basis to work off of, a newer engine and the ability to add limitless content. FFXIV is one on my list of anticipated MMO's. Which is why I'm not going to bother with FFXI.

• Ninja5000Ninja5000 Member Posts: 16

I have played ff11  for a while  and Id say at least try it out till 14 gets here.

• vixen2vixen2 Member Posts: 76

I'm waiting on the download myself right now, I played for many years when this game first came out, it will always be one of my favorites, haven't found a game quite like it.  Allakhazam.com...or however you spell that is a good site for this game.  I would also highly reccomend using a ps2 type controller, as this game was made for it.  I am playing the game on my computer, but have a logitech controller which is optimal, I find it easier than the keyboard controls.  I also am liking being able to sit back in my chair rather than being over my keyboard the whole time.  It can be hard getting started, as it takes some time to get money.  I would suggest keeping signet on to get crystals(as well as points to buy armor from your city) and saving drops in your inventory till you get stacks of 12 then sell on AH.  That's the best way I've found to make money.  I don't know if its still the same or not, but once you hit level 10-12 head to the dunes and look for a party.  Keep your looking for group bubble up and maybe kill some easy targets in the surrounding areas while you wait so you don't get bored(areas vary depending on your class).  Find a good helpful ls that supports new players, and that should get you started.  Have fun in the game, it may take some time to get used to the controls, but if you stick it out till you are comfortable with them, you will have a blast if you like pve.  I would not recommend this for pvp players.

• DocEllis611DocEllis611 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by vixen2

Allakhazam.com...or however you spell that is a good site for this game.

Allakhazam is great for their forums, but ffxiclopedia.com has a huuuuge amount of useful info.

I play in wndowed mode, and always have ffxiclopedia in the task bar.