Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And... It's back!

Apparently, Myst Online is back online, and it's free!

Comments

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Very interesting, and probably good overall for MMOs. This is not the best game ever, but it is something quite different from the usual fare. I am glad it is back.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

thats cool though it kinda sucks i bought the game a long time ago right before it went bunk i wonder if it will still work or if it needs to be redownloaded

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

cool they use a donation system !

• MOULFailureMOULFailure Member Posts: 12

Ha Ha Ha

does this mean they will be running around pointing magic wands at each other  (  M agic YST Quest  Online )

After three attemps to get this up and running .This cannot be a bad thing with todays economic climate. they are now resorted to giving the game away.

Originally posted by MOULFailure

Ha Ha Ha
    does this mean they will be running around pointing magic wands at each other  (  M agic YST Quest  Online )
    After three attemps to get this up and running .This cannot be a bad thing with todays economic climate. they are now resorted to giving the game away.

well when you consider that noone wanted it before im suprised so many ppl want it now

i liked myst and played most of them but i never understood quite what would be done online i mean the whole idea of the game was you was alone in a place with lots of puzzles so i never could figure out what the multiplayer would involve

when i bought it the game was dead so maybe now i will get a chance to see what it would be like

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

The point was ot be able to allow multiple people be able to go through a map at the same time and figure it out.

More along the lines of a mult-player version of the game with some common areas ala guild wars that allow you to pick up people to help out.

The promise was the subscription would allow them to release NEW PUZZLE areas and forward the story line along.

Problem was it is a puzzle and there are those who have it done, so....  It was more like having someone come along and help you cheat.  I think they came to the realization that people were going through the puzzles faster than they could keep up.  Ultimately ending with 0 player retention waiting on a new puzzle.

A free version of this with maybe a subscription method of paying by puzzle or a monthly fee of $3-$5 with the uploads free might work.  However, with the level of difficulty on some of the MYST puzzles you would have a harder time keeping up with a collaborating populace and new content would not come out fast enough.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• MOULFailureMOULFailure Member Posts: 12

this so call Game???? should be renamed  YoYo

and even now only at least 1% out of the (3,000 (Cyans figures)) so called registered uses   are able to get online

if you manage to get passed the registration page

your stuck onthe set-up password page.

if you are one of the lucky few that get passed that your confronted with a download of 4-5 hours

get passed that and you have to keep the  login page sitting on your computer with the hope that you might get connected

cyan say they did not expect the flood of people wanting to play 

and are  already trying to find a bigger server to handle the poor login

come on Cyan who you trying to fool  you have been playing about with this for the past  9 years or more

you had connection problems when it was licenced to UBI SOFT

you had connection problems  When it was UNTIL URU

you had connection problems when it was with GAME TAP

what make you think the connection problems will go away

if you think people want to sit in front of the monitor all day

or wait 4-5 hours to download the launcher think again .

come on cyan once and for all call it a day and give up on this 

here something new Cyan give you version 1.866 on the download page   which cannot update itself

so you still cannot get the thing to run

this so call Game???? should be renamed  YoYo

and even now only at least 1% out of the (3,000 (Cyans figures)) so called registered uses   are able to get online
    if you manage to get passed the registration page
    your stuck onthe set-up password page.
    if you are one of the lucky few that get passed that your confronted with a download of 4-5 hours
    get passed that and you have to keep the  login page sitting on your computer with the hope that you might get connected

cyan say they did not expect the flood of people wanting to play 

and are  already trying to find a bigger server to handle the poor login

come on Cyan who you trying to fool  you have been playing about with this for the past  9 years or more

you had connection problems when it was licenced to UBI SOFT

you had connection problems  When it was UNTIL URU

you had connection problems when it was with GAME TAP

what make you think the connection problems will go away

if you think people want to sit in front of the monitor all day

or wait 4-5 hours to download the launcher think again .
    come on cyan once and for all call it a day and give up on this 

here something new Cyan give you version 1.866 on the download page   which cannot update itself
    so you still cannot get the thing to run

i must  say it was never meant for online play on gametap i mean you could but even trying to figure it out with the support eam i was told gametap doesnt support multiplayer since they use only one key  to share amongst gametap users

it wasnt until some digging around did i find the work around but some games cant be for that main reason

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

i can't get beyond the terrible movement mechanism. especially in tight areas. how you supposed to turn around without falling? it's very frustrating.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Originally posted by joker007mo

Ha Ha Ha

well when you consider that noone wanted it before im suprised so many ppl want it now

i liked myst and played most of them but i never understood quite what would be done online i mean the whole idea of the game was you was alone in a place with lots of puzzles so i never could figure out what the multiplayer would involve

when i bought it the game was dead so maybe now i will get a chance to see what it would be like

WTF? There were a lot of people who wanted the game. What they didn't want was the constant crashing and the subsequent disaster GameTap caused. People left because of GameTap, not MO.