Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game have snipers?

swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239

This will determine my decision to buy it.

Comments

• TarokoTaroko Member UncommonPosts: 84

This game does have snipers but it's not an instant shot, there is a small lag time.

• swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239

Snipers are the deal breaker and  the reason I do not enjoy FPS games that much. thanks for the info.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

It takes about 3-4 shots for a sniper to actually kill you (depending on the class you play) so they aren't as over-powered as they may seem in a general sense. They shouldn't be a deal breaker for you here to be honest.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• SpatterCatSpatterCat Member UncommonPosts: 80

It does, but no one shots or head shots, as posted. A better question might be to ask if they have balanced snipers. Pretty well so, imo.

• oomph_69oomph_69 Member UncommonPosts: 46

it's not a very sniper heavy game, nor are they overpowered like in other games. They do take shots at you and good ones do get some kills, however they have other targets like turrets that distract them and the Recon class is much more than just a sniper. No reason to back off on getting the game based on the sniping. It's not an issue.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by Taroko

This game does have snipers but it's not an instant shot, there is a small lag time.

Just to clarify: it's not a "lag time" really. It's the fact that you have to lead a moving target because your shots don't land as soon as you fire them. The laser shoots out and has to travel the distance between you and your target before it hits or missed. This is exactly the reason why most snipers suck in Global Agenda. They think it they fire while the target reticle is on you they'll automatically hit, and that just ain't so (if you're moving).

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

i usually enjoy playing a sniper aka recon in global agenda, but there are so many recons running around and it honestly just hurts the team in a pvp match. Don't get me wrong...good recons can be a game breaker but the game is flooded with a bunch of wannabe snipers and in the end it just spells doom for the team in pvp.

This game is highly addictive and fun. Currently i have a lvl 16 recon (retired due to amount of recons in the average match) and 16 robo. robotics is one heck of a support class. think of a TF2 engineer with more tricks at his disposal.

• mschi772mschi772 Member Posts: 20

The one thing more popular among gaming nerds than ninjas and pirates combined: snipers.  I've never seen someone call sniping a gamebreaker though.  As has been said, GA has recon which is comparable.

• Hellrazor27Hellrazor27 Member Posts: 55

To be short ...yes you can snipe.Depending on your build and how good you are there pretty good.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Most games I play I usualyl gravitate to the sniper first.

I play a recon in GA but I don't snipe as much. Mostly I snipe to distract, pick off runners or break a robo's fort. Mostly I spend my sniper shots breaking what a robo is doing because a good robo that isn't harassed can win a match much faster than any recon.

Most of my game time is with my sword out meleeing medics and robos.

• Originally posted by swiftflow

Snipers are the deal breaker and  the reason I do not enjoy FPS games that much. thanks for the info.

Snipers do not boomheadshot.  They simply have the most range.  Many sniper need 3 or so shots to kill someone outside of a short 5s buff that is on a 60s timer.  Even then its gonna be a two shot kill with about 1 or so seconds between shots.  And if you are an assault and quick on hitting your protection they will never two shot you.

If your issue is not knowing where they are then yeah that is a problem.  But snipers don't just kill you instantly and hitting stuff on the run is quite hard especially at range.

• Originally posted by NightCloak

Most games I play I usualyl gravitate to the sniper first.
    I play a recon in GA but I don't snipe as much. Mostly I snipe to distract, pick off runners or break a robo's fort. Mostly I spend my sniper shots breaking what a robo is doing because a good robo that isn't harassed can win a match much faster than any recon.
    Most of my game time is with my sword out meleeing medics and robos.

I have been in matches as a recon where I was getting sniped just trying to get to control points and my conclusion was "Good the recons are wasting their time and not doing their job".  In one match their were a pair of pretty good shots who clearly had Visual Scanner to see through stealth and I ran around for about 30 seconds in stealth to valdiate he had VS and to waste his time plus my bionics was on CD.  He caught me on the move with a finishing shot but it took him 4 tries and he was lacking good robo countering skills by having VS instead of bombs and what not and he wasted a lot of time sniping people all over the place instead of helping to take points directly. 

Alot of times sniping is just not a fast kill unless you get lucky enough to get two shots off with your buff up.  It can help alot in that if an Assault is at half health because of heavy fire and then you sniper shot him he may take such a burst that he dies before he can pop immunity.  But DPS wise the Sniper rifles are not anything amazing and if they are moving the DPS goes down really fast.  If you miss every other shot your DPS is pretty poor.

If you are sniping recons when your side does not own 2 points and there are robo turrets that need killing then no matter how good you are at sniping you are wasting your time.  Especially since when I respawn i can just juke and move and jetpack erractically and they almost certainly won't kill me.

Another thing to note is that alot of maps have quite alot of cover and tight/inside places.  Getting a really nice snipe spot that covers the whole battlefield almost never happens.

In general I would say it is impossible on Merc PvP maps to safely snipe all the places robo will put turrets down.  In a number of cases you need to get close and use a bomb and either melee it or point blank Sniper rifle it, a more melee focused build is better for this but you can do it with a sniper build and certain offhands.

A sniper rifle can outrange a Rocket Turret but unfortunately many good turret spots don't offer you both range and the right angle to get into a hallway or corner or whatever.

Snipers can be annoying and sometimes they can devastate a place with a good sequence of events but they are just not anywhere even close to automatic superiority or even often some kind of superiority.  There are lot of ways to counter em and a lot of ways to make their range not really a factor.  In general if there are a couple good snipers it means the turrets are not out in the open and a melee/bomb recon needs to get em.  Sniping alone really cannot completely shutdown turrets on most maps if the robos are at least fairly clever.