Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP blocked in Europe

Quick list of arguments about why it should be blocked in Europe and why they're a load of old tosh.

1. People in Europe make the lags D:

We're not stuck in the ice age, lots of Europeans now-a-days have internet speeds capable of communicating with an American server at a reasonable ping as long as the server itself is not running on 10 megs of RAM and a single man playing the bongos as a form of audio data transmission. I myself can get a ping of 80-120 on a server located in West America.

2. The language barrier.

Europe includes the United Kingdom, the birthplace of English. If you're going to IP block people because the language is a problem then be a bit more specific than the whole of Europe; some of us speak really, really good English.

A few arguments why Nexon/Neople/BlockParty are being unfair.

1. Even if you are IP blocked the advertisements for DFO play up and down the main website.

If you can IP block people from your game, surely you can make adverts just a tiny bit more specific? It's taunting and teasing, as well as misleading to have the game advertised everywhere if it only features in a few countries. Also, how I was able to download and update the entire client is a mystery, considering my account tells the site owners I'm from the UK.

2. The game is advertised as having "Millions of Players World Wide".

I know America has its head stuffed quite far up its own arse and it's only just beginning to extract aforementioned head, but the USA and Canada are not "World Wide". There's Asian versions of the game too, but Asia is also not the entire world.

3. There's no European game yet.

If there was a European Alternative for the North American version I would see the reasoning behind not letting yanks and Euros play with each other, however no such an alternative exists. Surely porting over characters after the European client comes out wouldn't be so soul shattering for the creators.

4. People in Europe are willing to pay good money to buy in game items.

Pretty self explanatory, people in Europe would pay good money to buy new items out of the in game cash shop. Nexon has cut off a good source of income.

5. Previous fans of Nexon will begin to leave the company.

Putting this IP block in place means that Europeans and other IP blocked countries who use to play Nexon games religiously will feel bitter and resentful, and may ditch the company before a European client is released. I, for one, would not be afraid to call Nexon a cuntwagon for its actions.

6. People in Europe are friends with Americans.

This seems like a stupid argument but people in Europe are, sometimes, friends with a number of Americans. To segregate the European and American markets like that would create further resentment. Even though Nexon would like to cover its ears and ignore the fact that communicating across the ocean is now as easy as double clicking a single button, cross continental friends will be pissed when they find out they can't party with each other in game because of an IP block.

Fire is hot
Ice is cold
You didn't need to know these things. thank you for wasting 5 seconds of your life.

Comments

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

I agree with what you said. Although there are ways to play it though you just gotta know how to do it. I hope that a europe company purcheses the license for it and do a better job than what Nexon is doing now.

I would play the other versions but i only know English. But fingers crossed though for an EU release either way, If the game was better than Nexon's i would pay money for ingame stuff like avatar items or ressurection tokens (dunno the proper name).

Also I cant party with my brother who is at the moment in the same flat as me, i have spent 3 - 4 days searching google for possible solutions to allow me to party. I tried the disable firewall, opening ports and using Himachi and none of them worked. This game at the moment feels like a single players MMO with just a global chat.

But yeah kudos to you. I agre with everything you said. =D

• DukeDuDukeDu Member Posts: 73

I'm from south america and I have the same problem as you. I'd glady play this game as my main mmorpg but I simply can't.

Nexon is telling us "your money ain't good enough for us".

• snowpinesnowpine Member Posts: 4

the game have a large number of players in china.

china

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Europe still cant play. WHAAAAAA!!!

Wanted to play with my bro who is in the same room but we couldnt connect, it was basically as single player game.

• HeliosXIIHeliosXII Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by DukeDu

I'm from south america and I have the same problem as you. I'd glady play this game as my main mmorpg but I simply can't.

I'm fairly certain they're not discriminating against Europeans or their money. I'm fairly certain the reason they don't have Dungeon Fighter Online available for anyone but the USA and Canada is because they simply don't have the legal rights to. Typically, when a publisher company (such as Nexon America) releases a game to only certain regions (such as the USA/Canada) it's because the developer of said game only sold the publisher company the license to host it for those regions. The publisher company would be illegally hosting the game if they allowed it anywhere other than where their license permits them to.

• kellerman24kellerman24 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by HeliosXII

Originally posted by DukeDu

I'm fairly certain they're not discriminating against Europeans or their money. I'm fairly certain the reason they don't have Dungeon Fighter Online available for anyone but the USA and Canada is because they simply don't have the legal rights to. Typically, when a publisher company (such as Nexon America) releases a game to only certain regions (such as the USA/Canada) it's because the developer of said game only sold the publisher company the license to host it for those regions. The publisher company would be illegally hosting the game if they allowed it anywhere other than where their license permits them to.

That would be true .. if we would talk about some small company here, but this is Nexon .. they've bought NDoors (creators of Atlantica) just because they could and had money for it. They're big with plenty of money.

The real problem is that Nexon doesn't really care for Europe (Maple story is like more than half a year late with US updates for example, doh) as a potential money bag. It's like Duke said "your money ain't good enough for us"

Ok, maybe a lot of people wouldn't play DFO in EU when it would launch (so that would explain Nexons lack of interest here) but it's still not a reason to put ip block on it (especially when there isn't an eu version).

I think we're missing a key puzzle here, somehow - maybe it's really as simple as Helllios said and on top of that Nexon actually doesn't bother to change this since in the end it's not worth for them.

• DukeDuDukeDu Member Posts: 73

What puzzles me is how a bad company such as Nexon releases GOOD games, while a good company, such as Perfect world entertainment (that has great customer support and it's world wide) only releases TERRIBLE games.

I ain't joking. Try any of the the Perferct World entertainment games (besides perferct world itself) and you'll see how much they suck compared to Dungeon Fighthers.

It's a real shame, but it ain't the first time a good game falls on the wrong hands.

• zylon0zylon0 Member Posts: 36

The market is there. Guess they do not want profits from potential European customers.

I gave DFO a try through AOL. Fun but I was unable to group that way.

Still waiting for a European release or lifting the ip block.

• RosesOfRosesRosesOfRoses Member Posts: 1

The sad thing about Europe is that we have to go through mountains of crap in terms of region locking/ ip locking. It's basically like this which is on the same level as IP locking certain MMOG titles:

America and Japan get all the good PSone titles and downloadable PS3 titles early in the PS Store, while Europe get the PS3 titles late, some aren't localized to Europe at all, and over 100 good PSone titles aren't released in Europe. (Which is because of bugs and authorites to release it in Europe, but still not fair)

America has Deathsmilles IIX localized from Japan, while CAVE don't bother localizing the sequel to Europe.

America has lots of food like Trix Cereal, Kool Aid, and raw Cookie Dough which doesn't get released in Europe due to health regulations.

Why? Why must all the Europeans suffer this fate? We have a right to get the same as America does, and are willing to pay good money for it, but still, we are denied the chance! I think it's because they thought that it wouldn't be popular enough in Europe and would cost money to release it, but SCREW THAT! They're just too lazy and stingy with their money to remove the IP block (Or any other region lock) and make us Europeans happy! 

When a sparkling Rose is bloodied, true beauty will emnate from it.