Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

happy 3rd birth day Vanguard

Even thou Im not playing this game anymore I must say that Im hopeing to see a forth birthday. Keep it going SOE :) 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

aah, I do miss Vanguard :(

Such a shame SOE are just burying it

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Vanguard, by far, is still one of thee best mmorpgs out there today. None of these newer theme park crap games have even come close to it.  I find it hard to believe that no developer has tried to come along and use its format in a new updated game.

Happy birthday Vanguard.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by disownation

Vanguard, by far, is still one of thee best mmorpgs out there today. None of these newer theme park crap games have even come close to it.  I find it hard to believe that no developer has tried to come along and use its format in a new updated game.
    Happy birthday Vanguard.

You know why?Former SOE employees,EQ2 one of the best,EQ one of the best,WOW a copy of EQ,if not for SOE there would be a ton of garbage games out there.The only other top notch developer is Square Enix,NCSOFT and FUNCOM come close but they are only middle of the road devs.

People can hate SOE all they want,but they are the ones who make all this possible,Smed made EQ because he wanted a good game,not because it was a money maker,heck they struggled to get approval,nobody thought it would make money.These other devs are just whipping out games to make money ,with near zero quality.

As a matter of fact it was SOE who helped keep the Final Fantasy series alive until FFVII turned the franchise around.

Even right now SOE houses the best console game developers on the planet,It is real sad to see how inept all these other developers really are.

It was good news to hear SOE will be making an EQ3,this is where you can expect quality gaming.Anyhoot good luck to VG it truly was an EPIC effort,probably the best effort in a game to date,just too bad it could not garner the player base it needed  to grow even further.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Happy Birthday VG. 

@wizardry,

Brad is what made EQ great, just like he is the reason behind anything positive in Vanguard.  Outside of soe those former devs got the freedom to try to do something great.  Other than purchasing everquest, soe has been anything buy top notch. 

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Happy Birthday VG. 

@wizardry,
    Brad is what made EQ great, just like he is the reason behind anything positive in Vanguard.  

I hope you are joking...

Happy Birthday VG

RIP Orc Choppa

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by arctarus

Happy Birthday VG. 

@wizardry,
    Brad is what made EQ great, just like he is the reason behind anything positive in Vanguard.  

I hope you are joking...

Happy Birthday VG

Yeah that does read rather strange when looked at. 

He is also the reason for most of the negatives that lead to game releasing how it was and sigil going bust. 

Still, he designed a foundation for a game that was better than some companies entire lineup combined.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, gratz for limping in to a 4th year VG...

It's sad watching it though, it deserves more then this induced coma.

Originally posted by arctarus

Happy Birthday VG. 

@wizardry,

I hope you are joking...

Happy Birthday VG

Yeah that does read rather strange when looked at. 

He is also the reason for most of the negatives that lead to game releasing how it was and sigil going bust. 

Still, he designed a foundation for a game that was better than some companies entire lineup combined.

I agree. I personally love Brad's philosophy of game design, I just hate his management skills and 'leisure habits'.

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You know why?Former SOE employees,EQ2 one of the best,EQ one of the best,WOW a copy of EQ,if not for SOE there would be a ton of garbage games out there.The only other top notch developer is Square Enix,NCSOFT and FUNCOM come close but they are only middle of the road devs.

People can hate SOE all they want,but they are the ones who make all this possible,Smed made EQ because he wanted a good game,not because it was a money maker,heck they struggled to get approval,nobody thought it would make money.These other devs are just whipping out games to make money ,with near zero quality.

As a matter of fact it was SOE who helped keep the Final Fantasy series alive until FFVII turned the franchise around.

Even right now SOE houses the best console game developers on the planet,It is real sad to see how inept all these other developers really are.

It was good news to hear SOE will be making an EQ3,this is where you can expect quality gaming.Anyhoot good luck to VG it truly was an EPIC effort,probably the best effort in a game to date,just too bad it could not garner the player base it needed  to grow even further.

Cant wait for EQ3. Happy Bday Vanguard.

Originally posted by MavisP

Originally posted by Wizardry

Cant wait for EQ3. Happy Bday Vanguard.

I have a feeling that EQ3 will make me cry... All I can see for it is solo ez mode quest grinding with cash shop under SOE.

SOE are like George Lucas... 1 or 2 flashes of genius/ luck and the rest drivel. I am no NGE hater, but the way they have repeatedly mishandled 2 of my favourite IPs makes me never want to trust them again with hope.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

A special birthday message from Morrissey to Vanguard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVLrA0yCtP4

Because you're evil and you lie, and if you should die, I may feel slightly sad, but I won't cry.

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105

Happy birthday Vanguard;

Lol....I would be back in a shot if there was a future for this game. As so many have commented, it really was the best PVE game out there. Just dumped my sub to Aion, glossy boring rubbish. No sense of adventure or wonder, but runs like silk. Really stuck for somewhere to go next. EQ2 really showing its age now. I do miss Vanguard, but no investment doesn't get my subscription. Stuck for a decent adventure at min. Tried most of them.Ack...oh well.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

I firmly believe if they closed Vanguard, waited about 6 months, and then rereleased it under a different name... the game would have tons of players.

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

this game was supposed to be the god of all mmo's.. brad had a good idea but sucked ass at making it happen.  and soe didnt help for shit on this game, all they did was help push it out way to early and then bought it entirely from sigil and then morphed it into another pos game like all the rest

soe is not a great game developer, verant created eq1, soe took it over at its height and completely ruined it.  eq2 was supposed to be awesome, soe made it terrible, nothing like eq1 at all except the kept the races in the game.

name one game that soe made that is fantastic!?  eq2 right now is just a stripped down, easy as pie, quest grind, its awful.

vanguard deserved to be built on and polished. all soe has done is made it stable and threw it into the closet to collect dust.

and all of you that are expecting great things from EQ3. you better open your eyes to whats to come. soe isnt going to do shit but copy all the boring, easy, mindless grind tactics they use in every game.

[Mod edit]

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by EATtheDEAD

this game was supposed to be the god of all mmo's.. brad had a good idea but sucked ass at making it happen.  and soe didnt help for shit on this game, all they did was help push it out way to early and then bought it entirely from sigil and then morphed it into another pos game like all the rest
    soe is not a great game developer, verant created eq1, soe took it over at its height and completely ruined it.  eq2 was supposed to be awesome, soe made it terrible, nothing like eq1 at all except the kept the races in the game.
    name one game that soe made that is fantastic!?  eq2 right now is just a stripped down, easy as pie, quest grind, its awful.
    vanguard deserved to be built on and polished. all soe has done is made it stable and threw it into the closet to collect dust.
    and all of you that are expecting great things from EQ3. you better open your eyes to whats to come. soe isnt going to do shit but copy all the boring, easy, mindless grind tactics they use in every game.
     [Mod edit]

Guess you havnt heard/read the latest conspiracy theory?  SOE is going to rape Vanguard and put all the cool stuff into EQ3. But keep it to yourself its a secret.  ;)

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by EATtheDEAD

[Mod edit]

Guess you havnt heard/read the latest conspiracy theory?  SOE is going to rape Vanguard and put all the cool stuff into EQ3. But keep it to yourself its a secret.  ;)

Lol Hey.... I know that Engine... Hay that looks like Kojan... Is that a Raki with a Tail?? Whats going on here?? Wait a Boat just sailed past.... Hummm

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Originally posted by shassell

Happy birthday Vanguard;
    Lol....I would be back in a shot if there was a future for this game. As so many have commented, it really was the best PVE game out there. Just dumped my sub to Aion, glossy boring rubbish. No sense of adventure or wonder, but runs like silk. Really stuck for somewhere to go next. EQ2 really showing its age now. I do miss Vanguard, but no investment doesn't get my subscription. Stuck for a decent adventure at min. Tried most of them.Ack...oh well.

I am just playing single player games while I wait for Final Fantasy 14 later this year myself. At least that looks like a real MMO with some depth.

Would be back in VG right now though if I had any faith in its funding/ support.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Happy birthday Vanguard;

Well that's the thing, people keep saying that they would be back if there was a future. Well, the game has lasted 3 years and is into their 4th. Maybe if people would stop obsessing on the future and be in the now, they would just play it and more people would see that they were playing and SOE would devote more resources to it.

no game is guaranteed. Even wow has people leaving because though the game most likely has a long future ahead of it, people want to try something different or take a break. So the span of time a player can play these games depends upon them.

So I see no reason to just jump in and play the game for the sake of playing it. Not becuase of some future or because you are guaranteed it will be around in 5 years but because it is here now.

And if players don't support games like this then there really is no reason for devs to make games like this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

Happy birthmas Vanguard you stilla re one of my favorite MMO's evar

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
    Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
    Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Originally posted by Sovrath

Happy birthday Vanguard;

Well that's the thing, people keep saying that they would be back if there was a future. Well, the game has lasted 3 years and is into their 4th. Maybe if people would stop obsessing on the future and be in the now, they would just play it and more people would see that they were playing and SOE would devote more resources to it.

no game is guaranteed. Even wow has people leaving because though the game most likely has a long future ahead of it, people want to try something different or take a break. So the span of time a player can play these games depends upon them.

So I see no reason to just jump in and play the game for the sake of playing it. Not becuase of some future or because you are guaranteed it will be around in 5 years but because it is here now.

And if players don't support games like this then there really is no reason for devs to make games like this.

You have a very valid point there Sov and I agree with your PoV in general.

I would love to see more co-op PvE mmorpgs to be made, but VG will never reach the numbers now to convince anyone they should, no matter what happens. This game is the last of the old school mmorpgs in it's philosophy, sad as that is.

The problem is with an existing game like this though is that we all start it one by one, level some, get bored of being in a huge world solo, hear from the highbies complain that theres no end game etc, see that SOE don't want to promote it/ develop for it, and move on. By that time, the next person joins and goes through the exact same process...

Because of this, and despite the fact that most people that trickle into the game actually like it, theres just never the critical mass of players in it at any stage to make new players feel they are part of something 'alive' and that perception is very important. Most PvEers want a game they can be with for months, even years, and it's hard when you go for days without seeing another player your level to believe in that and stick with it until more come.

Sure, it's been here now for 3 years, we see that with hindsight, but who would have thought it would be at the end of it's first year? I didnt... I thought that SOE would just make it's money back and shut it down, and I don't think I am alone. It takes someone stronger then the average player to stick with a game in the hope that it lasts, when it's obviosly on life support.

This is why I have said in the past that SOE just need to invest some cash and make a big assed content expansion and give it for free to everyone who has ever bought a VG box, along with a 1 week trial. They can then bundle it with the original game for $20 for everyone else, with the usual 1 month play time. Hype it around some, and just treat it like a new game, and they would have the big influx of players that would net themselves a loyal player base that would happily pay them a sub for the next 3 years +.

We know that will never happen though, SOE have ther games to protect and their own reasons to keep this one down, and thats why a lot of us talk about it's lack of future... With SOE at the helm it hasnt got one, despite the servers being open. 

Someone in a coma is still technically alive after all, but you woudlnt wanna take them to a party.

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

Congrats on 3rd. birthday Vanguard.

Such a polished game these days, just hope more people will notice that and come back..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by vesavius

Someone in a coma is still technically alive after all, but you woudlnt wanna take them to a party.

Isn't that "Weekend at Bernie's"?

Oh wait, he's dead

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44

Happy birthday Vanguard;

I agree 100%; The game wont die if people play it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I found this game recently, really one of the best of the old school MMORPG's.

When Ryzom died, twice, I stayed on. I still support that game, and Vanguard too. They are both hidden gems, IMHO.

Happy B'day VG!

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by vesavius

Isn't that "Weekend at Bernie's"?

Oh wait, he's dead

lol yeah. Good movie that actually :)