Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane

Comments

• DawnheraldDawnherald Member Posts: 146

To be honest, Salvatore's a pretty crappy writer.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Old news, most vets know this.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Doh!

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Dawnherald

Considering that almost every single fantasy based MMO is now built on his books... 

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by donjn

Wow, another recent 38 studios post. Do any of you guys bother looking a couple pages deep at threads before posting? And why a third post about 38 studios in 2 days?
    Anyone smell a shill?

Lol, no people do not bother to check past the first page, or in any other subforums.  This is pretty standard internet behavior.  I don't quite smell a SCHILLing though <drum roll...>

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i read most of rpg style book from salvatore its good reading,i read way worst

try harry turtledove for fun.men i tried to read that dude 5 time and after the first chapter i didnt remember what he had said in the book!

Originally posted by Frobner

Considering that almost every single fantasy based MMO is now built on his books... 

Such as? DDO isn't even based in Forgotten Realms.

Also, prolific writer =/= good writer.

I'm a fan of R.A. and as far as I know there is no MMO built on The Legend of Drizzt, Icewind Dale, Demon Wars, Spider Queen or any of the WoTC IPs he's written.  Although there is a Star Wars MMO and of course DDO.

Oh, and the world he is creating for Copernicus is his own original IP.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

I'm a fan of R.A. and as far as I know there is no MMO built on The Legend of Drizzt, Icewind Dale, Demon Wars, Spider Queen or any of the WoTC IPs he's written.  Although there is a Star Wars MMO and of course DDO.

Oh, and the world he is creating for Copernicus is his own original IP.

icewindale mmo no !icewindale the videogame (pc)yes i played that was a nice title back then!

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

R A Salvatore is a great writer, though he has his weak points.

His romance is generally quite a failure for one.

And no, there are no mmos based on Salvatore literature as far as I know. There are multiple games that include Salvatore stuff, and there is a game partially written by him (The Demon Stone). 

I would really love to see how an MMO by him would work out though.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I find Salvatore to be an average fantasy novelist of those in large publication. All the typical fantasy conventions and conflicted hero syndrome run amok.

However, I could see where his work and style might translate very well into a mmorpg realm.

On a side note: I can't forgive him for introducing Drizzt into the culture.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    try harry turtledove for fun.men i tried to read that dude 5 time and after the first chapter i didnt remember what he had said in the book!

ROFL! I tried to read Harry Turtledove the other day, he has a ton of great IDEAS for his books, but his execution of them and his writing style are just HORRID.

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by drbaltazar

ROFL! I tried to read Harry Turtledove the other day, he has a ton of great IDEAS for his books, but his execution of them and his writing style are just HORRID.

yep i have never been able to read more then one chapter from his book.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by Dawnherald To be honest, Salvatore's a pretty crappy writer.

you must have mistaken R.A. Salvatore with JRR Tolkien >_>
    he did make very popular characters i'd give him that
    you can find a player named Drizzt in all fantasy MMOs

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Recon415Recon415 Member Posts: 55

We need an MMO or just a plain RPG (like Oblivion) based on Robert Jordan's or Terry Goodkind's flagship series'.

The history of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga is very extensive, and about an age of constant war with the "Old World" over the right to have magic in mankind. Eventually it led to the separation of the worlds into an Old World and a New World. The Old World being free of magic. Could set up a sandbox MMO or plain RPG based on this history, as it is defined enough to give it substance, but not into too much detail, to give a developer lots of legroom.

Back then all wizards born with the gift in them were "War Wizards", wielders of both Additive and Subtractive magic (another curious mechanic of magic in the books that is pretty unique). Hell, there's so much detail into how magic works, and plenty of uniqueness in the books, it almost covers up the unoriginal story. The mental imagery of Aydindril with the Wizard's Tower (HQ of new world wizards) looming high above on its mountain, it's massive fortress carved out of granite of the mountain itself, creating understories that go as deep as it is high.

So many things could be done with book worlds translated into games. It would be twice as good anything Bethesda or Bioware could throw at us. So sad that many tries to interpret a game in 3d are horribly budgeted and end up a wretched mess as the likes of The Wheel of Time game.

I have computers; they are fast.

Originally posted by Recon415

We need an MMO or just a plain RPG (like Oblivion) based on Robert Jordan's or Terry Goodkind's flagship series'.
    The history of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga is very extensive, and about an age of constant war with the "Old World" over the right to have magic in mankind. Eventually it led to the separation of the worlds into an Old World and a New World. The Old World being free of magic. Could set up a sandbox MMO or plain RPG based on this history, as it is defined enough to give it substance, but not into too much detail, to give a developer lots of legroom.
    Back then all wizards born with the gift in them were "War Wizards", wielders of both Additive and Subtractive magic (another curious mechanic of magic in the books that is pretty unique). Hell, there's so much detail into how magic works, and plenty of uniqueness in the books, it almost covers up the unoriginal story. The mental imagery of Aydindril with the Wizard's Tower (HQ of new world wizards) looming high above on its mountain, it's massive fortress carved out of granite of the mountain itself, creating understories that go as deep as it is high.
    So many things could be done with book worlds translated into games. It would be twice as good anything Bethesda or Bioware could throw at us. So sad that many tries to interpret a game in 3d are horribly budgeted and end up a wretched mess as the likes of The Wheel of Time game.

Well, good news (or bad depending on how you look at it) is that Wheel of Time is being made into an MMO.  We know absolutely nothing else about it though.  Red Eagle games.

Second, and this is my opinion only, while Goodkind is OK at world building, I've gotta say, Wizards First Rule was one of the absolute worst reads I have ever forced myself through.  Absolutely horrible author.  I really tried to give him a chance... tried to understand what all the hype was about, but the whole read felt wrong in almost every respect.  Final straw was the gratuitous s&m scene.

• Recon415Recon415 Member Posts: 55

As I said, he had a uniqueness in idea, although he wasn't the best. It really gets better around the fourth book, Temple of the Winds. 

I have computers; they are fast.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The snowman on their site is, dated. Not much work on this MMO right now I'm guessing.

so...

• LSDoomLSDoom Member Posts: 16

never said it was a forgotten realms game. wish that weis and hickman got the chance to make a mmo maybe deathgate or dragonlance

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Such as? DDO isn't even based in Forgotten Realms.

Also, prolific writer =/= good writer.

The world is a copy of it and Greyhawk...

But here is a shocker: Salvatore didn't create FR, a guy named Ed Greenwood did this a long before Salvatore got involved.

Still, Salvatore is a lot better writer than the usual MMO writers, Arenanet also have a guy that written Forgotten realms book (and I like Curse of the Azure bonds more than the Icewind dale trilogy myself). It seems like MMO companies finally seems to realize that a good story is better than a bad one.

I think that is great even though I myself is more impressed about McFarlane, I think his art will be perfect for a MMO.

As someone else said is this general knowledge since at least 1 1/2 years ago, most people here know about 38 studio.

Originally posted by apocalance

The snowman on their site is, dated. Not much work on this MMO right now I'm guessing.

38 Studios is crazy busy at work crafting their MMO.  The Munch avatar is only updated for holidays or special events.  The last one was Thanksgiving.

As I said, he had a uniqueness in idea, although he wasn't the best. It really gets better around the fourth book, Temple of the Winds.

Never got past Wizards First Rule, though yeah he did have some good ideas like you said, it was his writing I couldn't stand.

Originally posted by LSDoom
    never said it was a forgotten realms game. wish that weis and hickman got the chance to make a mmo maybe deathgate or dragonlance

dragonlance would be super-mega-awesome-bbqsauce sweet, I agree.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I read a series by Salvatore.  I dont remember which it was, but I remember thinking it seemed like it was based on the game dnd.  So the claim that many mmos are based on his works seems a bit backwards.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Well, good news (or bad depending on how you look at it) is that Wheel of Time is being made into an MMO.  We know absolutely nothing else about it though.  Red Eagle games.
    Second, and this is my opinion only, while Goodkind is OK at world building, I've gotta say, Wizards First Rule was one of the absolute worst reads I have ever forced myself through.  Absolutely horrible author.  I really tried to give him a chance... tried to understand what all the hype was about, but the whole read felt wrong in almost every respect.  Final straw was the gratuitous s&m scene.

Goodkind gets worse. Far worse. Have you ever read Ayn Rand? Imagine Ayn Rand in a fantasy setting.

( Also, WoT MMO? ...I'm in love. Link please. )

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I liked Goodkind's style. What I didn't like is how he ended the series.

Someone mentioned the Death Gate Cycle books. Now those would make a kick ass mmorpg.

Love Jordan's world, can't wait for WoT mmorpg. Hope they do it justice and don't pull a Cryptic on us, and just hash out a game to make money, thereby ruining an established IP.

Salvatore isn't the BEST but he isn't horrible. Some of his non Forgotten Realms books, I don't care much for. But I LOVE his Forgotten Realms books. Drizzt is one of my all time favorite characters.

• SyrithSyrith Member UncommonPosts: 18

Oh my god no.  My character could only pull her braid and make moon eyes so many times.  No please no.   Just no.