Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PRE-CU Vet, Finally returned to SWG, after 4-5 years.

Hey all!

I'm old skool SWG player who bought the collectors edition and played almost everyday up until the MCH Nerfs. lol.

Anyway, I just started playin again cause im gettin sick of wow, and im LOVING it, oddly, althought im doing mostly crafting, I resubbed 3 accounts to get all my old characters back.

SOE's support was really good about transferring my characters off of dead Corbantis and onto Sunrunner. They even reimbursed my levels and everything quickly.

I havent really gotten into the combat side of the game, havin so much fun crafting again!

Anyway, if anyone else is returning and lookin for a place to call home and chill and hang with another old vet, hit me up on Sunrunner, name's Phennexion Kegdraal, I got a nice little spot just outside Duaba Guerfel on Corellia right now, pretty unpopulated at the moment here which is nice, and lots of nice mineral nodes around here.

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

It is a rare occurence indeed to see vets post positively towards the game in its current incarnation. Kudos for taking the time to come here and let others know how you feel about it.

Hopefully some more previously silent voices step out of the woodwork and have similar experiences to share.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Maybe i should try it again? Have not been there for four years. Hows the population? Euro-Chimera server. Anyone?

• phennexionphennexion Member Posts: 63

Not sure how population is there... im on sunrunner, i think its the least populated server, but i kinda wanted it that way cause theres less houses everywhere and more room for myself... and room to grow if the server gets more ppl.

• zartan5000zartan5000 Member Posts: 44

I've always felt a pull to go back to that game, I just can't bring myself do it. I was old school Intepid server. Master SL at that, among other classes. What ruined it for me was I was almost done with the entry questing to become a Jedi. Grinded every skill and all that and BOOM! I quit.  I miss those days. Oh well, SWTOR will be out soon enough and even if its only marginally better than SWG, it will be all the Star Wars fix I need. Glad to see other people burying the hatchet.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Theres only two persons who can call me to a kid,my Mom and Han Solo

I might wanna hear that from Solo once again!

Generation P

Originally posted by zartan5000

I've always felt a pull to go back to that game, I just can't bring myself do it. I was old school Intepid server. Master SL at that, among other classes. What ruined it for me was I was almost done with the entry questing to become a Jedi. Grinded every skill and all that and BOOM! I quit.  I miss those days. Oh well, SWTOR will be out soon enough and even if its only marginally better than SWG, it will be all the Star Wars fix I need. Glad to see other people burying the hatchet.

Eh, then your just not giving it a chance dude. I was the exact same way, i was so pissed when CH got nerfed, then CU happened, and then NGE.

It's pretty rude to say your burying the hachet when you aint even giving it a shot. Sure it'll never be the same, but so far i've been liking it and im a pretty picky guy

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Current or pre-NGE? Trust me mate, it'll be far superior to the current SWG gameplay. I haven't been gone 4 years. I actually played past NGE. SWG's strengths are only limited to things they didn't **edit** up with the NGE - Space, Player Housing and Crafting to an extent.

Current gameplay is centered around tokens and TCG. Unless you pay extra for your TCG packs, they'll be no-trade. Everything these days is "NO TRADE". Tokens are all different too. Tokens for Life Day, Tokens for Love Fest (going on now), Tokens for Empire Day, Tokens for zombies, Tokens for Halloween, Tokens for GCW, Tokens for PvP, Tokens for Heroics (5 individual types), Tokens for Hoth and Tokens for Chronicles...and soon, Tokens for space.

Trust me, as long as SWTOR doesn't have these:

...it'll be better.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by TUX426

Current or pre-NGE? Trust me mate, it'll be far superior to the current SWG gameplay. I haven't been gone 4 years. I actually played past NGE. SWG's strengths are only limited to things they didn't **edit** up with the NGE - Space, Player Housing and Crafting to an extent.

Current gameplay is centered around tokens and TCG. Unless you pay extra for your TCG packs, they'll be no-trade. Everything these days is "NO TRADE". Tokens are all different too. Tokens for Life Day, Tokens for Love Fest (going on now), Tokens for Empire Day, Tokens for zombies, Tokens for Halloween, Tokens for GCW, Tokens for PvP, Tokens for Heroics (5 individual types), Tokens for Hoth and Tokens for Chronicles...and soon, Tokens for space.

...it'll be better.

Holy smokes, I almost crapped my pants. Encore! ENCORE!

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by phennexion

Eh, then your just not giving it a chance dude. I was the exact same way, i was so pissed when CH got nerfed, then CU happened, and then NGE.

It's pretty rude to say your burying the hachet when you aint even giving it a shot. Sure it'll never be the same, but so far i've been liking it and im a pretty picky guy

Relax. He didn't say he was burying the hatchet. He said he was glad to see other people were burying the hatchet. No need to be so defensive.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by daarco

Maybe i should try it again? Have not been there for four years. Hows the population? Euro-Chimera server. Anyone?

Chimmy is one of the more active servers still a very good pop there

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35

You couldnt pay me to play NGE.

Even if it is 1000 times better than it was when it was launched, its still going to be crap.

Good for you for enjoying it. Not sure how long that will last though.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Everytime I go back to play SWG (on vet free trial) I barely last 2 weeks at a time, it's easy to get bored in there and the feeling that nothing really has changed enough to win me back.

well im still playing :), sunrunners low population got lonely so i started a guild and invited ppl i found on /who, im having a blast still cept the 1 scammer kid who stolw 250mill worth of rare items from a guild house (stupid i know, i learned my lesson with trust ) , but i sent in a ticket, the next day SOE returned our items and banned the kid! SOE is really doing well with their support nowadays

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by sookster54

Everytime I go back to play SWG (on vet free trial) I barely last 2 weeks at a time, it's easy to get bored in there and the feeling that nothing really has changed enough to win me back.

They have focused entirely too much on the wrong thing. It's an entire slew of errors, so I'll save you the details...but never again will any of us see a game so poorly managed as this one has been.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I picked up SWG from Steam for 10 bucks and created a fresh, new account. Immediately, I'm seeing a population problem. Before NGE, I could buy just about anything I needed since the crafting community on the Tempest server was so engaged. On Ahazi now, it's hard to find ships and components that aren't at WOW Auction-range prices. I'm also having trouble getting used to the interface. None of it is intuitive anymore.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• onetruthonetruth Member Posts: 100

Never mind.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by TUX426
    Originally posted by zartan5000  I've always felt a pull to go back to that game, I just can't bring myself do it. I was old school Intepid server. Master SL at that, among other classes. What ruined it for me was I was almost done with the entry questing to become a Jedi. Grinded every skill and all that and BOOM! I quit.  I miss those days. Oh well, SWTOR will be out soon enough and even if its only marginally better than SWG, it will be all the Star Wars fix I need. Glad to see other people burying the hatchet.

...it'll be better.

Holy smokes, I almost crapped my pants. Encore! ENCORE!

These abominations of anything remotely related to Star Wars and more related to real life holidays makes this lost MMO even harder to consider as my MMO of Choice.
    WoW does this too but WoW is its own franchise so they have more pliability . There are no Ferengi cupids flying around STO...as well there should not be.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Shelby13Shelby13 Member Posts: 79

Starsider is probably the largest server by population, and its a mixed bag in terms of PvP, RP, Space, Crafting.

The token grind is not much different than gold grinds or XP grinds in other games.  Its all about keeping the player base playing instead of letting the billionaire-credit players simply 'buy' every new piece of content and bypass the process.  This is not a new game, its a mature 6 year+ MMO that has a lot of money in it and thousands upon thousands of items.

Crafting is still a strong point.. but there is cerainly some real issues with how the Trading Card Game (TCG) and the 'lottery' of getting new cool items like vehicles and housing that has caused a lot of issues for the crafting professions.

New items since Pre CU you should try:

- Heroic Instances (awesome Jewelry, pretty neat artwork) Needs partial to full group.

- Hoth Instance (fun to fly Speeders/drive ATSTs).   Needs a full group, but good fun, challenging.

- Battlefield Instances (pre-sized group PvP with objectives like capture the flag an hold the bunker)

- Cybernetics (Engineers)

- Beastmaster (Pets & Mounts)

- GCW City Invasions (3 Cities, Mixed PvE & PvP)

The things you may not enjoy:

- Slow updates, minor changes (no expansions)

- Most 'new' housing & vehicles are TCG 'lottery' purchaed based random packs.

- Lag issues in Restuss (open PvP zone).

- Halo's and Fairy Wings.. permanent items.. yuk.

Its not perfect, its not what it was 'supposed' to be, but as far as MMO's are concerned SWG as it is right now still has some fun to be had.   1 years worth... maybe not... just pay monthly and take breaks as you need to.

SWG/STO/(SWTOR)

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

And just announced Double everything weekend from Thursday to server down on Tuesday, double XP, double GCW, and more.

Originally posted by Gutboy
    And just announced Double everything weekend from Thursday to server down on Tuesday, double XP, double GCW, and more.

Double your pleasure , Double your Fun , with Double-mint , Double-mint GUM.
    Thanks for the update - Now I will have to chew on that for awhile.

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I gave Star Wars a second chance after NGE and it was still quite bugged. I was stuck permanently in my ship floating in space as the controls were bugged to return. After a week there was still no help from support. The servers were dead and they charged you to move to an active server. Annoyed after being a Master Creature Handler that now everyone can get pets and my initial pets are data or stuffed. Yeah.... I've heard they made alot of changes but after being burned so many times by SOE to return would be like running back into a burning house expecting not to get burned again. Not to mention if SWTOR caues a mass exodus then is SOE going to close shop on SWG and everyones accounts including those giving it a second chance?

SWG might be a better game right now but don't delude yourself that your not taking a risk by going back. SOE has always been about the money and not about the player or the community. For those considering the return like I was I would say think very hard on the track record of SWG and understand that if you get burned again that it won't be entirely SOEs fault this time. Heh, I highly reccomend reading Aesop's fable of he scorpion and the frog.

Originally posted by miceinblack

SWG might be a better game right now but don't delude yourself that your not taking a risk by going back. SOE has always been about the money and not about the player or the community. For those considering the return like I was I would say think very hard on the track record of SWG and understand that if you get burned again that it won't be entirely SOEs fault this time. Heh, I highly recommend reading Aesop's fable of he scorpion and the frog.

Desclaimer: this is not My alt account here but I can not agree with Miceinblack more except SOE is not entirely about the Money or there would be a Bank of PreCU servers up and running charging a separate monthly Sub . What did you just think - but SOE lost the codes - As we are all know the code is available but it would come with a hardy portion of Crow to eat for SOE to obtain them.

Unaware of the Jestor?