Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Screens of a World I find Amazing!

Comments

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by Greatness
    Amazing! You never know though, like Wish, it looked amazing, but when you played it. Its graphics were not too good. Do not get too hyped up, because your dreams might get crushed.

Let's just say, the screenshots look exactly like they are in game (with the right settings of course)

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Xzaro, you in beta? No wonder, you haven't been here too much!

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• DoctorRatDoctorRat Member Posts: 54

Normally I do not care about graphics. But these are simply stunning.

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

Normally I don't care about graphics either... oh wait, yes I do. And yes, these do look good.

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    I like some of DnL's graphics, but a lot of it just isn't my taste. Too "rugged" maybe? Check out the dwarves. It looks like they picked a horse's nose and smeared it on their faces and then tried to bob for crap in a mud puddle (something someone would do on Fear Factor perhaps). Anyway, I was also wondering... what's up with the only 2-3 styles of armor and 1 robe on all the characters in screenshots and videos? I hope there's certainly more diversity.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    meh. i stand corrected. 3-4 styles of armor... image jk. im sure there's more. i hope you can embroider and/or etch your armor when crafting it.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by Adreal
    meh. i stand corrected. 3-4 styles of armor... image jk. im sure there's more. i hope you can embroider and/or etch your armor when crafting it.

As far as I know all the screen shots so far are from the web site, none from people playing the beta, due to the strict NDA.

So, who knows just how the game really looks?

• WotannWotann Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by Finduilas

As far as I know all the screen shots so far are from the web site, none from people playing the beta, due to the strict NDA. So, who knows just how the game really looks? 

Mellon amin, who do you think takes these screenshots?

The public will only see the selected screenshots that AD decides to publish on the official website. The rest are collecting dust on beta testers harddrives and on the private forum, where beta testers can share their screens. It was that way when I was a beta tester for Shadowbane, and other titles under NDA are no different.

Nemo sine vitio est

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060
    this and MEO really have my attention , and ill be buying both of these.
  • 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

hey blacksac, we have a news thing we have to watch for our highschool in the morning that is put together by students, and your face was on it! Well maybe not your face, but your display pic for mmorpg.com. Well its not that cool, but I found it interesting.

Thx 9216544 for passing that on... image... that photo was taken in Copenhagen, Denmark

Anyway, enough of the chit chat... here is another pic for our enjoyment image

High Rez version - http://www.darkandlight.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/praying.jpg image

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    How did you get all these? You take them yourself?

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

there added to darkandlight.net every day or so

"It's the darkness that brings us power"

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489
    Like the view you get from the streets and the people walking there, just a few more months and then it is our turn i hope image

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

Wow, some of these screenies are starting to look very good.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

higher res

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

And.... Suddenly not so good.

• WotannWotann Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by aeric67

And.... Suddenly not so good.

Are you talking about the screens of the woman by the tower?

Those screens are probably from an older version of the beta. Older screens seem have the Dark and Light logo with the shattered moon on them, while newer screens have no logo, only the copyright text and link. Screens seem to get published from both new and old versions of beta every other day or so.

Nemo sine vitio est

That last screen is of a NPC, the face does have nice detail (if plain looking), the dress though is just plain, I presume because she is a peasant NPC.
  • moonlightchzmoonlightchz Member Posts: 54

hmmm... i'm really not seeing anything impressive about these graphics. with too many people on screen everything looks incredibly choppy (low polygon count). the best part of the game is the landscape and water. there's not really any innovation or originality in this 'real armor' that everyone seems to love. personally i love being in a fantastical setting when playing a game. what's the point in playing if you can't escape real life for a bit? i want plants and animals of entirely different kinds, exotic and strange looking armors with various colors and a high level of detail.

speaking of detail, the models look great... until you get about 5 feet away from them. the variable detail scaling makes everything look horrid after even a small amount of distance.

don't get me wrong, i think dnl is a great title that will forever change the way people view mmorpgs. no loading... one huge (and i mean HUGE) world that you can spend months to travel across if you so wished. this game offers the mmorpg gamer's dreams. the only problem is this:

dark and light is tomorrow's mmorpg, today.

why is this a problem? well, as is evident by the terrible distance scaling of graphics quality, today's hardware simply cannot give the level of detail necessary to make this game seem truly 'realistic'. by that i mean good looking graphics at any distance.

conclusion: dark and light is a wonderful idea and will make a great and memorable mmo for all. it will go down in the history books as the first game in it's class and will revolutionize the market. (i myself plan to buy a copy and p2p). however, it's undeniable that the in game graphics will be somewhat poor, especially when a lot is going on at once. i've noticed myself wincing at the graphics that you all are proclaiming to be so great. but then maybe it's just me...

:::: officially boycotting capital letters ::::

• AlteredBeastAlteredBeast Member Posts: 5

I'm one for gameplay over graphics personally. Probably why I stilll pay to play a text mmo. I look at these screens and see some of the most amazing environments I've ever seen. That's one thing the graphics got goin on. The player and item models do not impress me all that much. But graphics aren't really a factor at all for me. As long as I can run it okay without suffering chop during large scale battles i'll be happy. The game could look like shadowbane and I would still pay to play if it was fun.

Don't really see any swords and shields throughout my day so they fit into fantasy for me no matter the look. I hope there are tons of weapons to choose from each with their own unique properties and look. I don't want all swords and maces to have the same modal. I don't like that breast plate that has the dudes belly showing.