Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Looking at Superhero Games: Combat

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com reporter C.A. Thomas has been looking closely at the superhero genre, not just in MMOs, but in games in general. Today, she brings us her report on combat in these games and how important and diverse it can be.

City of Heroes isn't the only fish in the pond anymore. It had a nice run as the leading (read: only) superhero-themed MMORPG on the market, but now its seat on the throne is being threatened by a number of new entries. CoH's younger brother Champions Online was second on the scene with its release last fall. With DC Universe Online planned for release this year, and the still under-wraps Marvel Universe Online getting closer, it's pretty obvious that this currently niche genre has a good chance of exploding into the mainstream pretty soon.

One thing we've seen since City of Heroes and continuing into Champions Online and DC Universe Online is a departure from the standard MMO gameplay formula in both combat and mission structure. Over the course of my next couple articles I want to take a look at why developers might feel the need to deviate from tried-and-true MMO design in order to deliver an exciting superhero gaming experience.

Read Looking at Superhero Games: Combat.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

Never really thought about these facts much in the past. Very good article and very interesting. Looking forward to the next article.

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Nice article, couldnt agree more

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Was a nice read, and do hope as you said you gonna focus more on the MMORPG part and truly hope it will be indeed about superhero's, but set into a MMORPG world, where they behave and act like superhero's as we all know or atleast wish we all know that superhero MMORPG should be ALLOT more then just combat oriented games, as mentioned games in article are mainly singleplayer games as they indeed are good at foccusing on a mostly full combat oriented game, a MMORPG version SHOULD in my opinion be so much more, but then I have this with just MMORPG's in general as to me most are far to combat oriented and leave out the depth a MMORPG could have.

A example would be: give me a alter ego apart from just being that superhero: Superman wasn't being Superman all the time, we hade Clark Kent, Spiderman wasn't slinging his web al the time we have Peter Parker etc....etc.., a MMORPG based on superhero's should be able to creat the depth of having these alter ego to even occomplish things they wouldn't do when putting on the latex suit.

And yes I know I am a niche gamer when it comes to MMORPG's and simply want more just combat oriented multiplayer experiances from games in this genre.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Reklaw

A example would be: give me a alter ego apart from just being that superhero: Superman wasn't being Superman all the time, we hade Clark Kent, Spiderman wasn't slinging his web al the time we have Peter Parker etc....etc.., a MMORPG based on superhero's should be able to creat the depth of having these alter ego to even occomplish things they wouldn't do when putting on the latex suit.
    And yes I know I am a niche gamer when it comes to MMORPG's and simply want more just combat oriented multiplayer experiances from games in this genre.

Good article!  I'm surprised Freedom Force wasn't mentioned, though.  IMO, that's probably one of the most relevant games to look at when considering how to make a MMO.

/agree with Reklaw.  It always seemed that the story elements in each comic book mostly occured when the hero was out of the spandex.  The scenario built up in this "vulnerable" state, so that they could then turn to their hero selves to do the heavy lifting.

One of the reasons for this was the way things occurred.  It's difficult as a MMO because scenarios often work the opposite of S&S.  In fantasy games, players have always sought the quest; they go looking for the adventure/aka trouble, so the sprawling maps of MMO's work well for this.  In comic books however, the trouble/quest often comes to the hero in the form of an arch enemy hunting them down or a criminal taking hostages in the bank they just walked by. 

This is a bit of a challenge to emulate in a MMO environment.  It can be done easily enough in instances, but how do you make it "massive"?  IMO, the first 2 games to attempt this didn't seem to find the answer.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

its still arena type combat in a static never changing world

no matter what the players do  it will just reset in 5-10 minutes

and for superhero games theres  almost a total lack of  heroic things to do besides "thugbash"(ill copyrith this one)

which is  attacking and defeating one group of thugs after another in the proverbial revolving door  I quickly got bored of.

example COH  you dont rescue  victims from a sinking ship,  or stop a speeding train from crashing into a ravine

and definatly the combat powers are focused on combat (attack defend buff debuff)   with no creativity in dealing with situations

such as  holding up a falling wall,,  making a bridge between two roofs,  working together to deflect an incoming astroid.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

The problem is is that all most people think about the heroes/superheroes genre is the Kapow!

There are all types of heroes, and yes, while there tends to be allot of combat it is almost always just for combat's salke.

Take Batman for example... if you go to the source material the majority of the time his is being "The Worlds Greatest Detective" (which ironicly in the world of DC Comics he is actually the second best, but that is besides the point) and fighting normal criminals and their mastermind leaders or just stopping random crime like that that took his parents. Every once in a while members of Batman's Rouges Gallery  pop up.

Take The Human Target... master of disguise and expert at combat and wepons. He takes the role of the victim of death threats or hitman contracts and then turns the tables on the attacker disguised as the target.

The Question, the character that Rorschach in Watchmen was based on, Used  a mask of artificial skin to allow himself to seek out corruption and victimizers of the innocent by finding answers to questions and puzzles that no one else were trying to answer.

There are many different types of Hero Gameplay that all the games I have seen have yet to propperly address because all they are doing is combat (and in some cases doing feats) to advance your character.  I made an incrediblely fun to use character in Champions during the beta trying to have it set up like one of those characters.  While I was having fun swinging everywhere, when I fought other players who were going for full combat characters  I got minced. I also found out there was no gameplay for the kind of characters I wanted to build.

I am hoping Marvel or DC online will get that right.

• IronChuIronChu Champions Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by wlvnspectre

The problem is is that all most people think about the heroes/superheroes genre is the Kapow!
    There are all types of heroes, and yes, while there tends to be allot of combat it is almost always just for combat's salke.
    Take Batman for example... if you go to the source material the majority of the time his is being "The Worlds Greatest Detective" (which ironicly in the world of DC Comics he is actually the second best, but that is besides the point) and fighting normal criminals and their mastermind leaders or just stopping random crime like that that took his parents. Every once in a while members of Batman's Rouges Gallery  pop up.
    Take The Human Target... master of disguise and expert at combat and wepons. He takes the role of the victim of death threats or hitman contracts and then turns the tables on the attacker disguised as the target.
    The Question, the character that Rorschach in Watchmen was based on, Used  a mask of artificial skin to allow himself to seek out corruption and victimizers of the innocent by finding answers to questions and puzzles that no one else were trying to answer.
    There are many different types of Hero Gameplay that all the games I have seen have yet to propperly address because all they are doing is combat (and in some cases doing feats) to advance your character.  I made an incrediblely fun to use character in Champions during the beta trying to have it set up like one of those characters.  While I was having fun swinging everywhere, when I fought other players who were going for full combat characters  I got minced. I also found out there was no gameplay for the kind of characters I wanted to build.
    I am hoping Marvel or DC online will get that right.

I'm actually getting ready to tackle that *after* the next article. I think we more or less agree on that point, and I have some suggestions I'll be talking about as far as effective ways to do that sort of thing.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dc universe ! now that sound promissing!