Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online offers two new races in online store

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Now we are up to selling playable races in the game. Whatelse do you think the devs can come up with we can pay for ontop of the monthly fee ?

www.massively.com/2010/02/02/star-trek-online-offers-two-new-races-in-online-store/

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

wiliam shatner - acting mode

this............................is.............................so......................................sad

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

With every new post I read my interest in this game diminishes.

This, I'm pretty certain, has put the nail in the coffin though.

Not including playable races in the release so you can sell them in the cash shop to people paying a monthly sub...I hope this game crashes and burns hard for this model.  Sorry Trek fans but developers need to see that this model will not be acceptable to players.  Cash shop and F2P or everything included with monthly sub.  One or the other.  Anything else is a blatant cash grab.

It seems like companies get bolder and bolder with each new release to see just how far they can push the "playerbase as ATMs" model.  Unffortunately, because of the IP involved, they will get away with it.

What a sad fate for the Star Trek IP.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Cryptic kinda remind me of the Ferengi.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

You made a typo it's PAYABLE races....

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by danJ188

Pretty soon you'll have to pay additional money just to get out of the noobie zone.

They'll make you pay every time you fire phasers. There'll be an "entrance fee" to get into Quark's (I hope you made reservations, the waiting list is long.) You'll be charged for bug fixes.

I'm only half joking. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Aguitha

You made a typo it's PAYABLE races....

I admit - I LOL.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I've now decided to stop defending Cryptic.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

With every new post I read my interest in this game diminishes.

This, I'm pretty certain, has put the nail in the coffin though.

Not including playable races in the release so you can sell them in the cash shop to people paying a monthly sub...I hope this game crashes and burns hard for this model.  Sorry Trek fans but developers need to see that this model will not be acceptable to players.  Cash shop and F2P or everything included with monthly sub.  One or the other.  Anything else is a blatant cash grab.

It seems like companies get bolder and bolder with each new release to see just how far they can push the "playerbase as ATMs" model.  Unffortunately, because of the IP involved, they will get away with it.

What a sad fate for the Star Trek IP.

Actually, they won't get away with it; not with me at least.  This is coming from a Star Trek fan from the early 70's.  I've seen all the shows--every incarnation--and own most of the films.  I love Star Trek, and I love MMOs.

Leave out playable races just so you can charge extra in the cash shop?  Reminds me of what they did with respecs in Champions online.  No thanks Cryptic.  I'm never going to play a game like that, no matter what the IP is.

Originally posted by Xondar123

Pretty soon you'll have to pay additional money just to get out of the noobie zone.

They'll make you pay every time you fire phasers. There'll be an "entrance fee" to get into Quark's (I hope you made reservations, the waiting list is long.) You'll be charged for bug fixes.

They will charge for everything they think will sell - without turning off too many customers.

What a lot of posters here need to learn is that business is an antagonistic relationship. It is in the companies' interest to provide as little as possible while taking in as much money as possible. The companies exist to make money - not games. Games are just the particular type of widgets they are selling. It might as well be bread, or paper clips, or crack.

Sure, there are creative people in the business trying to do good work, but they are not the ones making the business decisions.

Cryptic (and every other company) wants your money - not your friendship.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

This IS outrageous.

My personal philosophy on micro-transactions in P2P games is this:

1.  Server changes, gender changes, name changes, faction changes, and the like are ok -- depending on the game, admittedly, in games where switching faction is part of the gameplay, it isn't ok.

2.  Items CAN be ok, if they are only cosmetic.

3.  Nothing iconic to any class or reasonable character concept* should ever be sold, even if it is only cosmetic.  Capes for Superheroes are a no-no for example, even if the cape is extra flashy or silver or has a duck on it (whatever).  A pet or something that has nothing to do with the game or is otherwise somewhat unreasonable for a character to even have (And is meant to just be silly or the like) is ok (this is why I am ok with how WoW does it so far).

4.  Nothing else is ok (that I can think of).

Naturally Cryptic breaks this left and right, which is why I loathe how they do things.

*Reasonable character concepts are a bit tricky to define, admittedly, and definitely depend on the genre and the gameworld.  An orc that thinks he is a rabbit is probably outside the realm of "reasonable concepts" that the game IP should support without extra cost (if it is supported at all), but a Superhero that thought he was a rabbit is far more reasonable (though still quite odd).

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Really Cryptic?

• cl0vercl0ver Member Posts: 122

Ah yes, I sit here eating my ice creams and watching Star Trek original series on hulu.   Its bad Jim.

At this point you Star Trek fans should boycott this game and prove to the industry that they cant just take a beloved IP and skull fuck your pillaged cornhole

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

if you don't like the model then dont' support it 

quit crying about it 

• DovenDoven Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by ForceQuit

Hahaha!.  this is such a awsome comment.  Very fitting indeed and well deserved.

Now when I first read the interview and crypt reply, I seriously did a doubletake.   And, IF, it is true and not just a terrible misquote/print, or simple mis-representation of the comment and is indeed a fact, it only solidifies the sole reason why I chose not to purchase.

It's not the "game", (or lack there of) that discouraged me from joining, mmo's grow overtime eventually.  Or at least you hope so. 

My reason for voting with my wallet (NO),  was the pure lack of respect for its future comsumer community.

1.  Normal box price w/30 day.  No issue, expected.

2.  15$ monthly scrib price.  No issue, expected.

3.  5$-10$ pre-order dp to Beta (initially, free later), Headstart (IF you actually could log into game).. about the norm/expected, still unprofesional to not have extra hardware capable/ready just incase.

4.  350$ (box inc) Lifetime sub, (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, catch line) on a short timer before the Headstart and Release candidtate?  This one was a serious flag for me and should have been for everyone that took the bait.  Extention?  Pointless.  IMO, a complete disrespect to the consumer community for the "pressure sale".

5.  Crypt store?,   Payable Races?,  Indeed what is next?  If you have to pay to unlock RACES, (not just classes), it leads me to believe there could be worse.  Payable only content?, Unbalanced PvP items?.. ... seriously, who knows.  There was a reason why Crypt did not entertain the idea of a Crypt store preview of merchandise.  Simply put, A good deal of subs MIGHT have been canceled when consumers found the Payable race thing out eliminating initial box/digi profits.

BAD business.  Disrespect to the consumer with pressure sales and disinformation.  All about the money they make vs the money we work hard to budget during tough economic times.  My bottom line.

I will lurk over here for a bit and await the so called fans to justify or rip on my opinion.  But know this.  Its no different than say Infinity Ward, pushing the 50$ boundry box sale while eliminating core dedi support, lean, mod tools, ect all for the sake of profit over community.  Consumer respect, sonsumer service and most of all consumer community is becoming jaded with/by shotty product and poor marketing decisions.

done

d

"He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is more than a king."

"Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much argruing, much writting, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making."

John Milton 1608-1674

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by GetViolated

quit crying about it 

Don't be part of the problem...be part of the solution.

Screw you, Cryptic. Seriously.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by Doven

Hahaha!.  this is such a awsome comment.  Very fitting indeed and well deserved.

Now when I first read the interview and crypt reply, I seriously did a doubletake.   And, IF, it is true and not just a terrible misquote/print, or simple mis-representation of the comment and is indeed a fact, it only solidifies the sole reason why I chose not to purchase.

It's not the "game", (or lack there of) that discouraged me from joining, mmo's grow overtime eventually.  Or at least you hope so. 

My reason for voting with my wallet (NO),  was the pure lack of respect for its future comsumer community.

3.  5$-10$ pre-order dp to Beta (initially, free later), Headstart (IF you actually could log into game).. about the norm/expected, still unprofesional to not have extra hardware capable/ready just incase.

4.  350$ (box inc) Lifetime sub, (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, catch line) on a short timer before the Headstart and Release candidtate?  This one was a serious flag for me and should have been for everyone that took the bait.  Extention?  Pointless.  IMO, a complete disrespect to the consumer community for the "pressure sale".

5.  Crypt store?,   Payable Races?,  Indeed what is next?  If you have to pay to unlock RACES, (not just classes), it leads me to believe there could be worse.  Payable only content?, Unbalanced PvP items?.. ... seriously, who knows.  There was a reason why Crypt did not entertain the idea of a Crypt store preview of merchandise.  Simply put, A good deal of subs MIGHT have been canceled when consumers found the Payable race thing out eliminating initial box/digi profits.

BAD business.  Disrespect to the consumer with pressure sales and disinformation.  All about the money they make vs the money we work hard to budget during tough economic times.  My bottom line.

I will lurk over here for a bit and await the so called fans to justify or rip on my opinion.  But know this.  Its no different than say Infinity Ward, pushing the 50$ boundry box sale while eliminating core dedi support, lean, mod tools, ect all for the sake of profit over community.  Consumer respect, sonsumer service and most of all consumer community is becoming jaded with/by shotty product and poor marketing decisions.

done

d

if you don't like it DON"T support it

the only life time sub i ever bought was hellgate london cause i loved that game :( 

you're not forced to pay for any of that extra stuff 

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

They will charge for everything they think will sell - without turning off too many customers.

What a lot of posters here need to learn is that business is an antagonistic relationship. It is in the companies' interest to provide as little as possible while taking in as much money as possible. The companies exist to make money - not games. Games are just the particular type of widgets they are selling. It might as well be bread, or paper clips, or crack.

Sure, there are creative people in the business trying to do good work, but they are not the ones making the business decisions.

Cryptic (and every other company) wants your money - not your friendship.

For the most part, I fully agree with you. But I don't think this business greed is in any way universal. I think there are good companies out there that just want to make fun, good games. Bioware was like that before they were bought by EA, Blizzard was like that once too, CCP is like that, I also think Paragon Studios, the guys who took over (initially made?) City of Heroes is like that.

Micro-transactions have been creeping up on monthly subscription MMOs for quite a while now. But, I think there is a certain line that must not be crossed. It's OK to have things like paid server transfers, character renames, character slots, a few fluff things, things like that, mainly because they probably wouldn't ever be a feature otherwise (except if they need to redistribute server population, i.e. World of Warcraft.) However, things that people who pay a monthly fee and expect to get as part of the continued development of the game should be off limits, i.e. new zones, new races (that aren't in an expansion,) new classes, skills, etc.

The new paid zone that was revealed for CO got a huge backlash, and many people hoped that such a shady thing would only affect CO. But with these new paid races, it seems that we can expect any nickel and diming that Cryptic does for CO will also happen for STO.

• DovenDoven Member Posts: 138

quit crying about it 

Indeed.. 

I voted no with my wallet,  :) 

read you later m8,

ps.  I enjoyed Hellgate myself.. still waiting for habitsoft to share some details about NA re-release (with item mall).  Single player still decent.  My appologies for your "founders" lifetime sub.   Again bad business.

"He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is more than a king."

"Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much argruing, much writting, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making."

John Milton 1608-1674

quit crying about it 

Indeed.. 

I voted no with my wallet,  :) 

read you later m8,

ps.  I enjoyed Hellgate myself.. still waiting for habitsoft to share some details about NA re-release (with item mall).  Single player still decent.  My appologies for your "founders" lifetime sub.   Again bad business.

well i felt the game was worth supporting because i played it non stop 

i don't have a problem with paying for a life sub if i really like the game...  again i'm not forced to pay for it 

the only life time sub i ever bought was hellgate london cause i loved that game :( 

Which is what I assume (and hope) that everyone here who is speaking out against these micro-transactions are doing.

Doesn't mean we can't still talk about it and bash Cryptic for being worse than the Ferengi.

Which is what I assume (and hope) that everyone here who is speaking out against these micro-transactions are doing.

Doesn't mean we can't still talk about it and bash Cryptic for being worse than the Ferengi.

i never watched Star Trek what did the Ferengi do? 

Originally posted by cl0ver

Ah yes, I sit here eating my ice creams and watching Star Trek original series on hulu.   Its bad Jim.
    At this point you Star Trek fans should boycott this game and prove to the industry that they cant just take a beloved IP and skull fuck your pillaged cornhole

I agree with the sentiment, but that's not where I keep MY cornhole.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

quit crying about it 

This poster is why the future of MMos will begin to rot because they accept any garbage that is thrown at them just because the product has the name " Star Trek". No people shouldn't stop crying about it because everyone wants mmos to survive and with adding this type of stuff things will go downhill fast.

I read some posts on the official forums and believe it or not people are defending this type of attempt to make more money. You think this is the end? They will keep pushing more stuff and eventually you will have to pay just to level up to the next level. If you don't put a stopping point to these developers they will see how far they can go and you will be charged just to level up or get new skills. Its getting beyond dumb and what disgusts me the most is that people actually defend this. It makes me wonder how many people are doing drugs out there.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

done

d

yes, but he has a right to voice his opinion and try to warn other consumers. It doesn't have to be, "A sucker born every minute."

i never watched Star Trek what did the Ferengi do? 

They are incredibly greedy, money-grubbing bastards. But, somehow, they are less greedy than Cryptic.