Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you ever hate paying for a MMO and get bored 2 weeks later? I just did it again.

2»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Aion -  1 week before boredom set in.

Lotro - 1 month before it really got bland and dull.

AOC, Warhmmer -  1 month each before frustration set in.

WoW - On and off for about a year before I decided never to go back again.

Played FFXI for 2 years and it was great. Still playing Guild Wars after 4 years.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

This is the main reason why I ended up going back to F2P games. I got sick of paying for games that I end up not even playing in the first place.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Aladyleyna

This is the main reason why I ended up going back to F2P games. I got sick of paying for games that I end up not even playing in the first place.

What is your top F2P games?

SNIP

Originally posted by kanechart

What is your top F2P games?

Mainly Atlantica Online and Guild Wars. Though Guild Wars isn't really free to play though, because you still have to buy the campaigns and expansion, but it's definitely more than worth the money. But yeah, I tend to hang out on those two games the most.

Main characters:

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

The only MMOs that really pissed me off so far were AOC and LotRO. I tried these and didnt finish the free month that comes with the box. The other one worth mention here is SWG. Now with SWG I played at launch for some time ~6 months but when I felt a little crafty a few years later and decided to resub and I was asked to pick a class WTF!! that was my whole monthy sub right there down the drain.

A worthy mention to Sword of the new world. While the music is relly techno/dance and is IMHO a bothersome bunch the game its self was actuly kinda kool. It was my 1st MMO that allowed a single account to play a party of 3. That coupled with the genre busting guns and magic combo I felt right at home with the sound off.

My longest subs:

UO 8 years Ha Ha I know crazy right Fin loved that game and had accounts worth $$$ came out of this in the +$1k range after sub costs. I dont think that was even the reason I stayed subed so long. I was so enthralled with my 1st MMO that I just didnt even relize there was anything else out there. I even totaly disreguarded EQ and WOW due to being so involved in UO. Looking back I made the right decision! My brother still has an active account here 12+ years later. I guess he thinks his 5 house grandfathered account is still worth the 3k it was worth the day they changed the housing rules to 1 per account. LOL!

Eve 2 years+ In all that time I never really saw the full extent of this game. It was just plain hard to get into a good corp that participated in endgame content but I had a real blast jumpgate camp running filled with cheap min headed to Jita for buku isk

DFO 10 months I played this like it was a  chess tournement for 1 mill cash prise It was absolutly the best time Ive had in an mmo but I did burn out. I might go back ....someday....

SWG -6 months sometime after launch. The GCW was just getting heated and when I finaly saw my 1st jedi he just when from city to outpost slaughtering players. When I relized what was actualy involved in unlocking the slot I unsubed

Vangaurd ~3 months This was sometime after launch but before the game was redisgned. My 1st impression was the world was bueataful and the crafting was the best ever at the time. But upon returning years later the world looked drab and empty of players so i made it about 3 days

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by raystantz

Age of Conan - Lasted about 2 weeks 
    Everquest 2 - about  a month
    Lord of the Rings - 1 week
    Vanguard - 1 month
    Fallen Earth - 2 weeks
    Warhammer - Thank god I beta tested
    City of Heroes - A couple of days
    Aion - Thank god I beta tested
    Star wars galaxies - Couple of days
    EVE online - 1 day
    Darkfall - 2 weeks (just resubbed again, and getting the same feeling as I have the last 4 times I've done this)
    The only two games I have actually stayed subbed to for an extended period has been..
    FFXI and World of Warcraft.. imagine that.

Now add up the costs of the packages. Add GW, TR, ...

It pretty much shows what the average user thinks of it.

And then you wonder why people leave the field ....

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

The last MMORPG I bought and regretted was AO.  I was there at release.  I certainly learned my lesson.  If I can't free-trial a game (unless my close MMORPG friends highly recommend it) I don't buy.  I also avoid buying MMORPG's at release anymore.  I highly recommend giving a newly released MMORPG 2-3 months after release before buying it.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by indiramourn

The last MMORPG I bought and regretted was AO.  I was there at release.  I certainly learned my lesson.  If I can't free-trial a game (unless my close MMORPG friends highly recommend it) I don't buy.  I also avoid buying MMORPG's at release anymore.  I highly recommend giving a newly released MMORPG 2-3 months after release before buying it.

aww man we have very diff tastes. AO was one my top games ever. I really enjoyed it the complexness of it.

SNIP

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by kanechart

Originally posted by indiramourn

aww man we have very diff tastes. AO was one my top games ever. I really enjoyed it the complexness of it.

You obviously weren't there at launch, it was one of the worst disasters in MMO history.  It improved later, despite Funcom's incompetence, but on day one... it was a mess.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

''Oups I did it again''

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

My bigger error was buying Champions Online.    AION was also somewhat a waste of money.

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by Teiman

My bigger error was buying Champions Online.    AION was also somewhat a waste of money.

Really? I still dig Aion :)

• cpc71783cpc71783 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

"Hay guys, we'll be releasing this MMO X with cool NEW features such as leveling your class to level X, skill trees, twitch based combat with WoW UI and skills, raiding and instancing, crafting that is in form of a minigame, quest based character progression (the exclamation marks are RED! you didn't see that innovation coming!) and most important of all ignoring the gameplay aspects of the game to make room for improvements to features such as PLAYER CUSTOMIZATION, different WEATHER EFFECTS, ABILITY TO D Y E  Y O U R   F I N G E R N A I L S, and all NEW races such as Hulf, Elman, Orll and Trorc!
    And don't worry, we'll keep on the trend of promising a lot of new stuff to the game like FLYING HOT AIR BALLOONS but never implement them. One promise we'll keep though. The game will be released 6 months too early."

I do hope you all catch my sarcasm. Playing the same game for 10 times in a different setting works for some, but it's not for me (and neither for you, it seems). 

lol! Awesome.

• cpc71783cpc71783 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by 5Luck

The only MMOs that really pissed me off so far were AOC and LotRO. I tried these and didnt finish the free month that comes with the box. The other one worth mention here is SWG. Now with SWG I played at launch for some time ~6 months but when I felt a little crafty a few years later and decided to resub and I was asked to pick a class WTF!! that was my whole monthy sub right there down the drain.

A worthy mention to Sword of the new world. While the music is relly techno/dance and is IMHO a bothersome bunch the game its self was actuly kinda kool. It was my 1st MMO that allowed a single account to play a party of 3. That coupled with the genre busting guns and magic combo I felt right at home with the sound off.

My longest subs:
    UO 8 years Ha Ha I know crazy right Fin loved that game and had accounts worth $$$ came out of this in the +$1k range after sub costs. I dont think that was even the reason I stayed subed so long. I was so enthralled with my 1st MMO that I just didnt even relize there was anything else out there. I even totaly disreguarded EQ and WOW due to being so involved in UO. Looking back I made the right decision! My brother still has an active account here 12+ years later. I guess he thinks his 5 house grandfathered account is still worth the 3k it was worth the day they changed the housing rules to 1 per account. LOL!
    Eve 2 years+ In all that time I never really saw the full extent of this game. It was just plain hard to get into a good corp that participated in endgame content but I had a real blast jumpgate camp running filled with cheap min headed to Jita for buku isk
    DFO 10 months I played this like it was a  chess tournement for 1 mill cash prise It was absolutly the best time Ive had in an mmo but I did burn out. I might go back ....someday....
    SWG -6 months sometime after launch. The GCW was just getting heated and when I finaly saw my 1st jedi he just when from city to outpost slaughtering players. When I relized what was actualy involved in unlocking the slot I unsubed
    Vangaurd ~3 months This was sometime after launch but before the game was redisgned. My 1st impression was the world was bueataful and the crafting was the best ever at the time. But upon returning years later the world looked drab and empty of players so i made it about 3 days

DFO truly is a fun game, but with a seriously grindy, almost circle-jerk mob killing mentality. I mean seriously, the stats and skills are wtfawesome, but the PVE grind to be viable in PVP is just lackluster.

I'm still playing DFO, but don't think I will continue after the free month is up.

I recently broke my own word and subscribed to Runescape. I'm just curious to see how it defers from a free member to a subscribed member, and anyway, this is the first time I got to subscribe to Runescape. And yes, I'm having fun.

Though I don't know whether I'll be saying the same thing in two weeks...

Bah, I need more money management. *bangs head on wall*

Main characters:

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215

I recently broke my own word and subscribed to Runescape. I'm just curious to see how it defers from a free member to a subscribed member, and anyway, this is the first time I got to subscribe to Runescape. And yes, I'm having fun.
    Though I don't know whether I'll be saying the same thing in two weeks...
    Bah, I need more money management. *bangs head on wall*

If you enjoyed F2P i'm pretty sure you'll enjoy P2P for a long time. The amount of content is massive and extremely varying, both for warriors, merchants and adventurers (ie quests).

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

EVE online - 1 day

At least that was a free trial, not $70 up front

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Star Wars Galaxies has been the ONLY MMO to keep me coming back. It's the MMO with the most sandbox. The new Galactic War updates are a blast and promote tons of open world PVP.

Yes SWG is not perfect, and SOE has been run by apes in the past, and sometimes present, but SWG is better now then ever. There are classes now, but there are FAR more viable templet options. You can mimmick the old temps, and some decent new ones. No longer is it who has the best looted mind dot. No longer is everyone running around in the same blasted suit of comp armor. No longer do you spend the whole duel on your back. Crafted weapons and armor are the best. The crafting system alone in SWG is better then any MMO out.

The sandbox is still in SWG. Try it, but be sure to roll on the populated servers like Flurry, Starsider, Bria, Chimera.

Pre-cu loving NGE hating vets don't get me wrong. I left because of NGE and returned in 2008. SOE lost me for those years, but the game is much improved.