Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newish player

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So i played the game for a bit near release and left for another game because of friends wanting me to play something. I recently got the lifetime membership and complete game pack and now finally have some to play so i have a few questions:

--Most populated server? Ropleplaying and regular?

--I usually play an assassin in games because of them being fact paced, so its usually the most fun. Is the assasin or i believe its called a thief fast paced, soloable and great at dishing out dmg? What are some of the other fun classes?

--Are there some things i should do during character creator that maybe ill regret not doing later?

--I don't remember exactly but besides racial benefits does your race really matter much?

--I also remember being sent to your race's town in the begining, is that still the case or are you able to pick where you start? Which town is usually the best for new players?

Any other things new players should know/remember or any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also thanks in advance for answering!

Comments

• ptdemonptdemon Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

So i played the game for a bit near release and left for another game because of friends wanting me to play something. I recently got the lifetime membership and complete game pack and now finally have some to play so i have a few questions:
    --Most populated server? Ropleplaying and regular?
    Brandywine for the US or Snowbourn for the EU
    --I usually play an assassin in games because of them being fact paced, so its usually the most fun. Is the assasin or i believe its called a thief fast paced, soloable and great at dishing out dmg? What are some of the other fun classes?
    Burglar  is the closest to assasin but tbh most classes are fun in their own way. If you a melee type of player then champs, huinters, burglars etc are your class but be warned there are loads of hunters and champx about.. Capt is a buff class with good melee so and they are always wanted!!
    --Are there some things i should do during character creator that maybe ill regret not doing later?
    All the toon creator does is decide what you cannot and con play as a class. if your wanting loot from mobs though don't roll a hobbit the shire sucks for loot!!
    --I don't remember exactly but besides racial benefits does your race really matter much?
    Nope only for classes are restricted, racial traits have no effect on the tiny bit of end game tbh
    --I also remember being sent to your race's town in the begining, is that still the case or are you able to pick where you start? Which town is usually the best for new players?
    As stated before depends on your class but if you want to earn money quickly i'd go elf, dwarf or man, personally i found hobbit and the shire rather hard to earn vendor trash when leveling

Any other things new players should know/remember or any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    All i can suggest is you take your time. the end game is pathetic tbh i love tolkien and all turbine has done but the end game is lacking in a major way... maybe because i was spoilt with EQ2 but in my opinion there isn;t enough end game to keep people going for 8 months before they introduce something new :)... if you love tolkien and want to experience his world as never before then go through the game at a steady pace you won;t cover all of it between 0 and 65 but you can revisit it and turbine have done an awesome job the shadows of angmar zones are amazing... moria is just wow and very much how i imagined it from reading the books. Lothlorien is as you'd imagine it besieged but defiant and mirkwood well i'll let you decide :)
    Also thanks in advance for answering!

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

--Most populated server? Ropleplaying - Brandywine
    --I also remember being sent to your race's town in the begining, is that still the case or are you able to pick where you start? Which town is usually the best for new players? - You're stuck in your race's starter town only until you complete the tutorial missions; maybe an hours worth of play if you go slow.  After that you can go to any of the other races towns and run their missions.  I'm a man and ran the dwarf's starter missions, then the elves and finally the humans.  My son's got a hobbit and while he did do a few of those; he moved over to the human's and elves town to run their missions.

Look at them as 2 seperate items.  I wanted to run a dwarf but be a warden.  Well dwarves can't be wardens so I did the next best thing.  I did a human warden and went and did the dwarves starter stuff.

No matter which you pick after the starter missions everyone ends up in Bree and they all pick up the same.  Running the different towns are fun because of the different storylines they have and how they weave together.

Just remember it's the type of game that's all about the journey, not about the end game.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Alright, thanks alot for the input guys.

I was wondering though, wasn't brandywine the roleplaying server? im not really a roleplayer so i don't really want to be an outcast as this is usually the case for average players on RP servers. So yeh is there pretty strict RP going on, and in general what's a server more suited for an average player?

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Not sure how hardcore RPish Brandywine is, but with a game like this I guess it would be.

I'm on Firefoot when I play.  Med pop for the server but I still run across other players out in the middle of no where from time to time and I'm talking about spots WAY off the beaten path.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

Alright, thanks alot for the input guys.
    I was wondering though, wasn't brandywine the roleplaying server? im not really a roleplayer so i don't really want to be an outcast as this is usually the case for average players on RP servers. So yeh is there pretty strict RP going on, and in general what's a server more suited for an average player?

My understanding (been playing since October 2009) is that Landroval is the unofficial North American RP server.

I play on Brandywine, and unless you are in a RP kin, you would never even notice role-playing is going on (besides seeing people with the RP flag on, or listening to the RP channel).  That said, there are a lot of people doing their own private RP thing if you are so inclined.

Brandywine is also supposed to be the most populated N.A. server (Turbine doesn't release these details).

Yeh i guess ill be joining brandywine, now my dilemma lies in which class to choose. Champion and burglar seem like the two assassin type classes but i hear a burglar doesn't do much damage and champion seems like a straightforward melee fighter. Once again, im looking for a fun class to play so yeh anyone have more input in this case?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yeh i guess ill be joining brandywine, now my dilemma lies in which class to choose. Champion and burglar seem like the two assassin type classes but i hear a burglar doesn't do much damage and champion seems like a straightforward melee fighter. Once again, im looking for a fun class to play so yeh anyone have more input in this case?

I never cared for the burglar class much myself but it is the stealh class of the game.  One neat thing about burglars is they have ways to create/start fellowship conjunctions.  Champions are mainly melee dps fighters although I've played with some that actually some rather amazing tanks pending on how they spec.

Personally, I always enjyed the minstrel in this game because they have a lot of versatility.  Hell another minstrel and myself use to duo things a lot simply for entertainment because he was decked out for dps/damage soaking while I was mainly specced towards healing.

None of the classes are really bad least in my opinon.  Althought he ones that seem to be more fun to tinker around with least to me are the runekeeper, minstrel, and captain.  They just seemed to have so much versatility to them depending on how you spec them and set up their traits.  Of course, that is just my opinion.

As for servers, Brandywine, Landroval, and Elendilmir are the three most populated ones.  Brandywine is the largest.  Landroval is the unofficial rp server and Elendilmir is the unofficial transatlantic server.

I prefer Ele myself simply because you have people playing from all over on it so no matter the time of day you play it isn't real hard to find a group if you want.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

The thing about a straight assassin class is that it doesn't really fit the lore of Lord of the Rings.

There were lots of stealthy characters (including hobbits in general, and Strider) in the books -- but there was never anyone on the good side who would be backstabbing people and poisoning them.  Lotro sticks to the lore pretty faithfully (most of the time); and since you can't play evil characters in regular play, an assassin-type class doesn't really exist.

Turbine did stretch the lore to introduce Rune-Keepers, which are glass cannon, nuking Mage types, even though this type of magic doesn't exist in the books.  The CEO explicitly said they had to have this type of mage class to satisfy MMO players who like them.  But an assassin class appears to be going too far.

You could try a Warden which can either tank or dps.  They are considered an advanced class though, because you have memorize "gambits" which are a chain of skills.

On the other hand, try out all the classes and see what you like.  Before Lotro, I either played healers or rogues.  But the minstrel wasn't my thing, so I tried the Guardian, and now I enjoy tanking.

Thanks alot for the detailed info guys, the ministrel does seem quite interesting so i may just check that out but ye ill probably just read up on all classes and see what suite me the best.

Cya soon in middle earth!

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I have played every class and the most challenging to me were Captain (great fun at higher levels), Lore Master (this class will keep you on your toes in RAIDs and instances), and Minstrels.  My main is a hunter, but my favorite class is Captain.  

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Thanks alot for the detailed info guys, the ministrel does seem quite interesting so i may just check that out but ye ill probably just read up on all classes and see what suite me the best.
    Cya soon in middle earth!

My main was a minstrel and they are great fun, particularly if you like music. There are actually traveling bands, such as Bards of a Feather, that go from city to city performing concerts. The music applications for minstrels in game are SO MUCH FUN. Fantastic class for RP'ers, but then...I think most classes are in LotRO. :)

Minstrels are a bit challenging solo or in groups....I found groups to be easier...but some of that depends also on your specialization, and the challenge is fun, not frustrating.

I also have a rune-keeper...also great fun.

Brandywine was definitely the most populated server when I was playing. I doubt that's changed.

I hope you enjoy it. LotRO is definitely in my list of top 5 MMOs that I have enjoyed the most.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

The burg can do some damage, but it's not a sustained DPS class like many of the other class.  The major role for the Burg is to start the fellowship conjunctions and to debuff.  They can solo well, have some pretty good crowd-control, but they're not the typical "assassin" type.   I think they're great fun, but I really like the Lore-Master, who is another CC and support type character.

If you're looking for straight up damage dealing, go with the Champion.  It's a dual-weilding AOE monster.  Can tank and can do a great deal of damage.

I played through most of the classes before I decided to keep one of almost all of them. 

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Landroval is the unofficial RP server for NA and has a population comparable to Brandywine. 

Not quite as much, but close.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Yeh i ended up rolling a ministrel, but haven't had much time to play. Also the captain and rune master are quite interesting so if im bored i might just play those.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!