Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radeon 5770 vs GTX 260 (896 MB)

2»

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by ForceQuit

Originally posted by drbaltazar

dont hold your breath for dx11 nvidia(next gen).it schedule for a march release but so far it looks like intel is also 1 quater away from releasing their monster for the graphic market
    its scheduled to take highest ati card head on since we all know intel is one generation ahead of amd
    and about 8 month ahead in graphic card nm size(32nm intel,40 nm ati)
    and the fact intel can squeeze a lot more in any of their chip because they use a very advance way of doing their chip
    the only reason intel havent got a gamer graphic card out yet in 32 nm is because they want to put it toguether with the processor  like the i5.

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure Larrabee was shelved for the time being and Intel went back to the drawing board for their GPGPU?

ya i eard same thing about larabee!the wisper is they wouldf have decided to do a graphic chip that fit on a socket similar to

their processor and just besides it in a 32 nm size .if this rumor is true intel will change computer forever!again lol!

this idea poped out simply because intel aim is to outperform and outprice ati.wich nobody seems able to touch right now!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Cleffy

The Guru3D charts have some odd anomolies.  I would take it with a bit more grain of salt because of this.  In some charts you have the HD4870 performing the same as the HD5770.  The HD5770 has half the memory bus, it should perform worse in all scenarios.  In some scenarios you had the GTX275 performing worse then the GTX260 core 216, that just shows signs of a problem with the test as the 275 is done at a later stepping and should run better.
    Also in the chart they werent using a GTX260, they were using a GTX260 Core 216.  There is a difference.  The GTX260 has 192 stream processors. The GTX260 core 216 has 216 strem processors.  This is going to give the Core 216 a 12.5% increase in calculation power.  The GTX260 core 216 is priced in a different range then the HD5770.

your wrong because of one feature that as yet to be shown

its their multiple path thingy

one pre dx11 card you could get only one path

on the dx11 there is a feature that make it possible to send multiple data path

dont ask me the how of it since its far more advanced then anything i have ever seen

i dont think any game or program can show the diff this feature make since you need a game or program design sepecificly for that feature so in a sense

even the dx11 still work in a single datapath since there isnt(that i know of )anything that can sow the diff between those

two very diff techno.its like a x2 pcie vs a x16 pcie

its pretty much what the techno is but on the graphic card end wich it didnt have before.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Cleffy
    The Guru3D charts have some odd anomolies.  I would take it with a bit more grain of salt because of this.  In some charts you have the HD4870 performing the same as the HD5770.  The HD5770 has half the memory bus, it should perform worse in all scenarios.  In some scenarios you had the GTX275 performing worse then the GTX260 core 216, that just shows signs of a problem with the test as the 275 is done at a later stepping and should run better.
    Also in the chart they werent using a GTX260, they were using a GTX260 Core 216.  There is a difference.  The GTX260 has 192 stream processors. The GTX260 core 216 has 216 strem processors.  This is going to give the Core 216 a 12.5% increase in calculation power.  The GTX260 core 216 is priced in a different range then the HD5770.
    The 5770 is clocked 100 MHz higher and memory 300 MHz higher so even though it has a narrower bus it's not 1/2 the bandwidth and its GPU is clocked higher so gets more done. It's actually clocked like a 4890 with half the bus width but still higher mem frequency. So not surprising to see it beat a 4870 in many games that don't cap the mem bandwidth.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Zorken

Originally posted by drbaltazar

ati 5770 1gig is a dx11 card.that says it all
    since the 260 isnt a dx11 card its out!its that simple!

and how much did we ever see of DX10. big show it was the future you need a DX10 card or you cant play games bla bla bla. and how many DX10 games did we see not many and how many of them was MMO 1? so i see DX11 as a new super hyped MMO we all know its gona disappoint you in the end and needs 1-2 years before you get the MMO you wanted.

got a gtx 280 my self but i think the ATI 5770 is the better of the two

DX10 wasn't embraced because Vista wasn't embraced.  W7 is picking up steam(http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10391484-75.html), so you'll have alot more games incorporating DX11.

I'd probably go with the ATI, as well, though make sure you pick one with top notch cooling.

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

i was actually talking about buying a new system one had a GTX260 and one had a Radeon 5770 i was asking which one was better neither support SLI or CrossFire so I need a single card I was wondering which system is a better purchase

The GTX 260

has i7 920

9 gigsddr3

The Radeon 5770 has

i7 860

and 8gigsddr3

I wasn't going to chnage it I was wondering which one was better so I looked at the benchmarks and some benchmarks the Nvidia gets a whopping 10 frame lead and sometimes they get the same so im wondering for practical purpous which system is better and which card is more useful and is dx11 worth something

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Ohh ok, that choice is easy.  Get the system with the Core i7 920.  It looks like the other one is an LGA1156 mobo.  The LGA1366 is a more robust design.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Well if you're gonna build yourself, (something just about anyone can do),  socket 1156 is cheaper and has a broader CPU selection. 1366 is just overkill as of right now and more or less just another bragging right for trolls posting their over priced builds as their signature. For me all I do on my PC is play MMO's and watch movies scaled anywhere from 720p to 1080p. So a 5670 paired with an i3 at 2.93GHz CPU is plenty enough for me and a lot of other gamers. So honestly.......just build one. Custom PC companies suck and rip you off.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

the i7 920 is where it is at of you OC its like buying a i950 (they both oc to the same Gh at the same temps/voltage) so in other words you get a $570 cpu for $290.

The 5770 vs 260 is whatever. x-fire works a small bit better. (pretty close atm) and i hate doing it anyway seeing as most game don't utilize it anyway.  the 5770 does have dx11 which is nice, but i feel pointless atm (but if you don't upgrade within 2-3 year then u may have to use dx 10/9 at some point, during which you'll not notice a difference most likely). Nvidia still has better drivers, QQ all you want, they still have less problems with new games (fixes for both companies come faster now however). In the end if i was speratly buying them id get a ati atm (bigger than the 5770, but atis are the best bang for your buck atm). However, in your situation the i7 920 is for sure worth more than the 5770 in that trade off.

PS. yes i am still using win xp and will continue to until the is an actual reason not to or disadvantage.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine