Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I'm having fun

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by ktanner3

Apparently you missed the last post on page one.
    Anyways, do you have anything of substance here or not?

What # post? I might be using a different page size than you.

I'm not going to say the posters name. It doesn't take much time to find it and it was just replied to a few posts up.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

I'm not going to say the posters name. It doesn't take much time to find it and it was just replied to a few posts up.

LOL. You said last post on first page. You think that wasn't identifying it for most people?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

"Immersive" is not a word that comes to mind when I reflect on my experience in this game. I never felt like a starship captain. Instead, the realization hit me that I was playing a ship that could morph  into a humanoid. My bridge crew are all mute and have little life except running around like fleas on a hot skillet when doing boring ground missions. Pray tell, what is so immersive about postage-stamp sized mission areas and invisible walls? This universe has no life.
    I have to question motives when I read posts like this and wonder if the OP is merely trying to justify his purchase of the game by enticing others to buy it too.

I am given orders from a higher ranked officer, similar to what I've experienced in the military. My bridge officers let me know when I'm being hailed, when problems exist, or something is detected, and ask my permission to proceed. That's very much like what I see on the shows I am currently watching. I then proceed to complete the mission, sometimes in space, while other times with an away team. While in space, the ship I fly looks like it belongs in start trek, it sounds like it belongs in star trek, and when I fire weapons, they too look and sound like they belong. When on the away team, I beam down like I should, the phasers work like they should, I complete the mission as I should, and then I beam back up like I should.

I don't see what's not immersive about that. It's not all voice acted, but it is a video game. Not all video games are voice acted, so no biggie. I like to read anyways. I don't notice the size of the areas when on a mission, because I'm too busy completing the mission. Watch a show, and remember it's being recorded on a set, and you'll see that their set is small too. If they beam down for something, it's for a purpose, not to explore in any which direction. They do a scan from space, beam down to the coordinates, and then complete their mission. Much the same way as in STO, except T.V. shows have the luxury of introducing more problem solving, and replacing more combat with more drama. Why are you so focused on an invisible wall, instead of completing your mission like a good starfleet officer? You wouldn't notice the walls if you use the advanced technology at your disposal to go straight to the objective. The universe has no life? Space is empty and lifeless.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

My 1 year old is also having fun playing with this little shaker.

But really has much chanced since closed beta or has it been the same with more people?

SNIP

Originally posted by Mackeh

Originally posted by nate1980

I purposely didn't read this forum while open beta was going on, so that my expectations and opinions wouldn't be influenced by all the negativity that surrounds every game released. So I went in not knowing what to expect.
    I'm happy with STO. It's a lot of fun, and it's immersive. The missions are all interesting and makes me feel like a Starfleet Officer. I don't know exactly how levels work or how they compare to other MMO's, but it's different enough that I don't bother watching the xp bar, nor do I feel bored or rushed enough to need to.
    So despite all the negativity, I actually like the game for what it is.

Am happy for you. 

Personally I think it's a joke, beam down to planet X and find it has no life at all, infact it's not even a planet, it's a rectangle with invisible barriers to stop you wandering off.  Open a door and it's loading screen time, infact do anything and it's loading screen time.  Oh boy, I will end there, it's just awful, awful, awful.

I wouldn't call it aweful, but what you say is true. However, even on the shows, there is a break in the scene as they transport. Sure, a loading screen doesn't pop up, but the screen goes black for an instant as the screens change to a different setting, the setting they're beaming to. So I'm not bothered by it.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

"Immersive" is not a word that comes to mind when I reflect on my experience in this game. I never felt like a starship captain. Instead, the realization hit me that I was playing a ship that could morph  into a humanoid. My bridge crew are all mute and have little life except running around like fleas on a hot skillet when doing boring ground missions. Pray tell, what is so immersive about postage-stamp sized mission areas and invisible walls? This universe has no life.
    I have to question motives when I read posts like this and wonder if the OP is merely trying to justify his purchase of the game by enticing others to buy it too.

I am given orders from a higher ranked officer, similar to what I've experienced in the military. My bridge officers let me know when I'm being hailed, when problems exist, or something is detected, and ask my permission to proceed. That's very much like what I see on the shows I am currently watching. I then proceed to complete the mission, sometimes in space, while other times with an away team. While in space, the ship I fly looks like it belongs in start trek, it sounds like it belongs in star trek, and when I fire weapons, they too look and sound like they belong. When on the away team, I beam down like I should, the phasers work like they should, I complete the mission as I should, and then I beam back up like I should.

I don't see what's not immersive about that. It's not all voice acted, but it is a video game. Not all video games are voice acted, so no biggie. I like to read anyways. I don't notice the size of the areas when on a mission, because I'm too busy completing the mission. Watch a show, and remember it's being recorded on a set, and you'll see that their set is small too. If they beam down for something, it's for a purpose, not to explore in any which direction. They do a scan from space, beam down to the coordinates, and then complete their mission. Much the same way as in STO, except T.V. shows have the luxury of introducing more problem solving, and replacing more combat with more drama. Why are you so focused on an invisible wall, instead of completing your mission like a good starfleet officer? You wouldn't notice the walls if you use the advanced technology at your disposal to go straight to the objective. The universe has no life? Space is empty and lifeless.

So where does the MMO bit come in with a subscription fee ? What you described above sounds like a single player game interaction with NPCs.

Originally posted by perkam

Nate, you have hit the nail on the head with this thread. Most people don't play enough of it to appreciate its depth.
    It is indeed a very fun game and, unlike other MMOs where are no clear incentives, every mission on your way to your dream ship is worth it. Mine is the Akira and I'm about a few weeks play from it, but for most people it will be the Sovereign or the Defiant. 
    To all those who like to bring CO into everything STO-related: "Prepare for Ramming Speed !!" 

I'm a LT. 7 right now, so I haven't gotten a ship upgrade yet. I'm excited to get my first excort vessel though. I don't know what vessel I'll end up with in the end, nor do I think about it. I'll get there when I get there. For me, planning that far ahead takes the fun out of the present. It's like doing theory testing and math to figure out which set of gear you'll shoot for in WoW. Not a wrong way to play, just not something I do anymore.

I am given orders from a higher ranked officer, similar to what I've experienced in the military. My bridge officers let me know when I'm being hailed, when problems exist, or something is detected,
    Yes - by standing up in front of the viewscreen. Blocking your view. I don't remember that from any of the shows.
    and ask my permission to proceed. That's very much like what I see on the shows I am currently watching. I then proceed to complete the mission, sometimes in space, while other times with an away team. While in space, the ship I fly looks like it belongs in start trek, it sounds like it belongs in star trek, and when I fire weapons, they too look and sound like they belong. When on the away team, I beam down like I should, the phasers work like they should,

No, they don't. Not even close. The ground combat and that horrible sector map are the two biggest immersion killers.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by Beachcomber

So where does the MMO bit come in with a subscription fee ? What you described above sounds like a single player game interaction with NPCs.

Certainly after he closes the chat window.

"yet instead of moving on and accepting Star Treks fate, they decided to whine and cry about it."

Ah - there it is. I was wondering how long it would take.
    Congratulations, the suporters fire the first salvo. So much for a civil and polite thread.

I didn't make some random off the wall, purposefully provoking post to incite rage in the forums. I did explain why I considered some negativity to be whining and crying. If the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, then no offense should be taken. But complaining about something you can't change, and about things you already knew about from following the game over the past 2 years is whining and crying. It's like a kid not getting their way, so they stomp around and use their whiny voice to complain about it, thinking that it'll change anything, when in reality it only annoys others around them. It's like me going to the WoW forums to complain about how the game is gear based, not FFA PvP, and has no housing. That's just whining, because complaining about it is not going to do anything, except annoy people who are enjoying WoW for what it is.

I didn't make some random off the wall, purposefully provoking post to incite rage in the forums. I did explain why I considered some negativity to be whining and crying. If the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, then no offense should be taken. But complaining about something you can't change, and about things you already knew about from following the game over the past 2 years is whining and crying. It's like a kid not getting their way, so they stomp around and use their whiny voice to complain about it, thinking that it'll change anything, when in reality it only annoys others around them. It's like me going to the WoW forums to complain about how the game is gear based, not FFA PvP, and has no housing. That's just whining, because complaining about it is not going to do anything, except annoy people who are enjoying WoW for what it is.

QFT. And for the record, saying that a poster is stupid and purposely lying about the game is firing the first salvo. But anyways back to the thread.....

I was going to go soveriegn, but I think that will be the majority of the people playing this game. I'm thinking of going intrepid since Science ships will be a must for PVP.

I think that is a good choice. I went Sci for my T2 ship. The debuffs are too useful to turn down.

Additional: I did notice that engineering (tank) type ships do indeed have taunting abilities. That made me smile.

Far be it from me to tell people how to play a game, but don't you think that line of thinking is why some people aren't enjoying STO? When you analyze a game so much that you know that one ship does this while the other ones don't, and this is better for that, because of this? To me, that's like finding the percent difference in stats between two pieces of gear, which are both upgrades, to see which one I'll wear. Instead of choosing the armor that you think looks good, and just being happy that it's an upgrade, you turn the game into a math problem. That takes away the immersion, and it's understandable if a person loses interest when they analyze everything like that.

My apologies. Apparently, someone I have blocked cast the first stone.

The shame is earned by the critics. I am slightly humbled.

In an attempt to mend bridges - I will say that the space combat is fun when balanced properly and the ship graphics and sounds are enjoyable and authentic.

I also like the reporting of completed missions rather than having to phisically travel back home. This is a feature which should become a standard for MMORPGs.

I don't know, and I'm not worried about it. The designation "MMO" doesn't dictate for me whether the game is fun or not. The game is fun if it's fun, not if it's not. I actually close my chat box, so I'm not bothered by the masses, since all they talk about is how x game is better than y game, or I don't like STO because..., or where is x (when it clearly says in the captains log). I'd love to eventually make some friends in STO, but right now the chat box is too distracting. It's an immersion breaker due to what's being talked about right now. I'm having better luck having actual relevant conversations on the STO forums. If I have to make friends on the STO forums first, in order to get into the multiplayer part of STO, then that's what I'll do. But I won't suffer through line after line of worthless and useless text being spewed by the masses.

I think that is a good choice. I went Sci for my T2 ship. The debuffs are too useful to turn down.
    Additional: I did notice that engineering (tank) type ships do indeed have taunting abilities. That made me smile.

Far be it from me to tell people how to play a game, but don't you think that line of thinking is why some people aren't enjoying STO? When you analyze a game so much that you know that one ship does this while the other ones don't, and this is better for that, because of this? To me, that's like finding the percent difference in stats between two pieces of gear, which are both upgrades, to see which one I'll wear. Instead of choosing the armor that you think looks good, and just being happy that it's an upgrade, you turn the game into a math problem. That takes away the immersion, and it's understandable if a person loses interest when they analyze everything like that.

I wouldn't go that far. It's just that a lot of us like to PVP because going against a player is always more fun than going against a computer. In that type of scenario you are looking for every bit of advantage you can get. I don't see that as killing any immersion as much as healthy competition. After a period of time you run out of PVE and then what else do you have?

Far be it from me to tell people how to play a game,
    Not all that far, apparently.
    but don't you think that line of thinking is why some people aren't enjoying STO? When you analyze a game so much that you know that one ship does this while the other ones don't, and this is better for that, because of this? To me, that's like finding the percent difference in stats between two pieces of gear, which are both upgrades, to see which one I'll wear. Instead of choosing the armor that you think looks good, and just being happy that it's an upgrade, you turn the game into a math problem. That takes away the immersion, and it's understandable if a person loses interest when they analyze everything like that.

Go with the storyline - you are at war. A real commanding officer would have your butt if you chose less effective equipment or tactics based on aesthetic appeal.

Math problems are plenty important in war, Nate.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

My wife and I are also enjoying it.  I've never let this community negate my enjoyment of any game.  If I did...I would never pick up a game again...ever...because you lot are the most jaded people I've ever run across. 

[Mod Edit]

I am given orders from a higher ranked officer, similar to what I've experienced in the military. My bridge officers let me know when I'm being hailed, when problems exist, or something is detected,
    Yes - by standing up in front of the viewscreen. Blocking your view. I don't remember that from any of the shows.
    and ask my permission to proceed. That's very much like what I see on the shows I am currently watching. I then proceed to complete the mission, sometimes in space, while other times with an away team. While in space, the ship I fly looks like it belongs in start trek, it sounds like it belongs in star trek, and when I fire weapons, they too look and sound like they belong. When on the away team, I beam down like I should, the phasers work like they should,

No, they don't. Not even close. The ground combat and that horrible sector map are the two biggest immersion killers.

Not for me. I find it all immersive and entertaining. Then again, I'm playing the game to have fun, not pinpoint every flaw in it. My abilities work when they should, the effects of my weapons look as they should and fire when they should, and the pace is fine for me, so I don't see any reason to complain. Now if I wanted to nitpick, I'm sure I could write a page on things I think could be better on just about anything, but I didn't buy the game to nitpick it, I bought it to be entertained, and entertained I am.

I wouldn't go that far. It's just that a lot of us like to PVP because going against a player is always more fun than going against a computer. In that type of scenario you are looking for every bit of advantage you can get. I don't see that as killing any immersion as much as healthy competition. After a period of time you run out of PVE and then what else do you have?

Uh huh. Outwitting your foes is a major part of war. Which is what the game is about.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

I don't know, and I'm not worried about it. The designation "MMO" doesn't dictate for me whether the game is fun or not. The game is fun if it's fun, not if it's not. I actually close my chat box, so I'm not bothered by the masses, since all they talk about is how x game is better than y game, or I don't like STO because..., or where is x (when it clearly says in the captains log). I'd love to eventually make some friends in STO, but right now the chat box is too distracting. It's an immersion breaker due to what's being talked about right now. I'm having better luck having actual relevant conversations on the STO forums. If I have to make friends on the STO forums first, in order to get into the multiplayer part of STO, then that's what I'll do. But I won't suffer through line after line of worthless and useless text being spewed by the masses.

Well its good your enjoying STO, but its easy money for Cryptic, isnt it ?  I played CO and they have turned miliking the customer into an art form.

No I agree, if you're PvPing you need that edge, but I don't think along PvP lines, since I don't PvP much anymore since I quit DAoC. To answer your last question, I move on to the next game until more content is released.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

"yet instead of moving on and accepting Star Treks fate, they decided to whine and cry about it."

Congratulations, the suporters fire the first salvo. So much for a civil and polite thread.

Ahh, but you are wrong, it might just disuade someone who is considering playing WOW (or STO for that matter) by letting them know a bit about the specific gameplay mechanics that they might not enjoy.

I've learned enough from the negative posts on this forum to determine that Cryptic has made one of their typical games that I won't care for.  And I enjoy reading the negative posts.

Consider it forum PVP and you'll begin to understand the inner workings and motivations of people who post here, and stop looking for alturistic motivations.

You say they are whining, they think they are winning.  (and by your responses, I'd have to say they are winning)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Far be it from me to tell people how to play a game,
    Not all that far, apparently.
    but don't you think that line of thinking is why some people aren't enjoying STO? When you analyze a game so much that you know that one ship does this while the other ones don't, and this is better for that, because of this? To me, that's like finding the percent difference in stats between two pieces of gear, which are both upgrades, to see which one I'll wear. Instead of choosing the armor that you think looks good, and just being happy that it's an upgrade, you turn the game into a math problem. That takes away the immersion, and it's understandable if a person loses interest when they analyze everything like that.

Go with the storyline - you are at war. A real commanding officer would have your butt if you chose less effective equipment or tactics based on aesthetic appeal.

Math problems are plenty important in war, Nate.

Well sure, if you're flying x ship and you just got a component that is better than the last component, then you should replace it. However, when a ship is in the same tier, thus assumed by STO developers to be equal to effectiveness to all other ships in that tier, then why should I feel the need to find the difference between each ship in order to find the best ship for the tier? After all, there were several types of classes of ships in the show, not just one. For example, I prefer escorts because they're smaller, more agile, and have more fire power. That suits the tactics I want to use. I'm not going to pick another class of ships, just because some buff or debuff gives me an advantage, because it's not fun for me to play a game that way, like it's one big math problem. You didn't see Picard switch ships every so often, because that ship had this technology while the Enterprise didn't, because the ship he had was the one he was assigned to and it suited his mission.

Well its good your enjoying STO, but its easy money for Cryptic, isnt it ?  I played CO and they have turned miliking the customer into an art form.

I'm not really concerned with how Cryptic is doing business wise. I'm not investing in their stocks, I'm just buying a product from them and enjoying it.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ahh, but you are wrong, it might just disuade someone who is considering playing WOW (or STO for that matter) by letting them know a bit about the specific gameplay mechanics that they might not enjoy.

I've learned enough from the negative posts on this forum to determine that Cryptic has made one of their typical games that I won't care for.  And I enjoy reading the negative posts.

Consider it forum PVP and you'll begin to understand the inner workings and motivations of people who post here, and stop looking for alturistic motivations.

You say they are whining, they think they are winning.  (and by your responses, I'd have to say they are winning)

You let people on this forum decide which games you play or not?

Besides which, I think all in all given the general stance on this forum the overall posts have been pretty reasonable. Afterall a vast majority of the posts about the game arn't critisising what it is, but what they feel it should have been and wasn't. I guess I fall into that category also, but I'm not the type of person to cut off my nose to spite my face the game as it stands wouldn't have been mine of choice but the game we have has play in it, how much will be up to cryptic.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”