Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC your opinion

I would like to know your opinion on what was good as well as what was bad about the game.  Unfortunately I missed playing this apparent gem of a game due to being engrossed within original land of Norrath (Everquest) still.  I was far too devoted to my Troll Shadowknight to bother with anything else.  Feel free to be as detailed as you desire I just want to know what those who have played it think.

Had to bold and underline opinion cause thats what I want.  There is no wrong answer... But I guess that means there is not a right one as well.

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

All I know was PVE was pretty boring (not fun enough for me to reach the PVP gameplay everyone raves about.)  It was part of the streak of early MMORPGs I played where I didn't feel the gameplay was fun enough to warrant subscribing past the free month.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Imo the best mmo in the last 10 years. The pvp was fun and I am not even a fan of pvp but I enjoyed it there. The pve was tolerable and I liked the housing. I just mainly hated the botters.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

It was the first MMO that got me hooked on the genre. I liked it mostly for the pvp but didn't mind the pve either. IMO the pve isn't any worse than any other MMO out there.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Leveling to 50 to get to the end game wasn't that much fun, especially in the early days when it was pretty time consuming.  That said, I made some great friends because the game mechanics strongly rewarded group play and there was forced downtime between fights as mana/health regenerated which enabled players to chat a some and get to know each other.

It did not have quest driven content, which made the game seem pretty grindy, but at the same time you could easily form PUG groups that could be successful so people often did with little trouble.

The Battlegrounds they added for players below level 50 were truely amazing at times, and I had some great times in them before I ever reached the end game.

Before they added the new frontiers expansion the RVR was really excellent and I use to love defending the keeps to take control the the Darkness Falls dungeon, which we then raided until the enemy took it back and cleared us all out of there.

Over on the FFA PVP server (Mordred) I had a great time, fighting against some legendary guilds like Torcan and a dozen others.  I ran for  awhile in an all-Kobold, role playing guild called the Shadowclan that stayed in character so far we had a special language which we had to use when chatting (text only) in game.

Alas, a combination of TOA and the New Frontiers Expansion took most of the joy out of the game for me and I moved on to Lineage 2 and later WOW in the same year.

The depth of classes was great, (like 45), lots of races with real differences between them, and despite the constant imbalance I always loved the game mechanics and the way the three factions really felt different when you played them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

It was easily my favorite MMO.  I tend to bounce around and have since TOA and NF came out.  The greatness of the game was that it had a rather niche community and pvp zones were a lot of fun...but not huge.  The battlegrounds to this day are the most fun in pvp I've ever had from lvl 1-49.  But the game really became more strategic after that point.  The housing was huge..and part of the charm (and bane for impatient people) was the 5-10 minutes it would take you to find the correct player vendor selling what you were seeking.

As a poster prior to mine mentioned, another part of the game that might seem trivial was the down time.  It allowed you to rest and talk a bit, kind of a forced socialization among strangers.  It wasn't fast paced in PvE, so it quickly became mundane for some.   I honestly don't think most newer gamers would have been into that.  Soloing..unless players were spec'd correctly was quite difficult and monotonous.  I actually enjoyed 90% of my PUG's tho.  One apparent admission is that I had far more people on my friends list there in a week than I have had after a month or two in any of the current games.  

I have to say my favorite moments in an MMO were all in DAOC.  Whether it was Hib and Mid teaming against the Albs in Caledonia, or the friends I made during my two years there, I'd have to say nothing comes close to capturing that.  My favorite memory was when my first toon reached 50.  Suddenly, I was bombarded with 20 or 30 strangers/friends from connecting alliances and guilds that sent me random /tells welcoming me to the ranks of the level 50's.  It was actually a really great community.  

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

I loved the PvE in DAOC.  There were wide open spaces to explore and roam, dungeons to explore without needing full groups.  I think they have a great variety of class choices and I had several favorites.

I think the world is beautiful even compared to more recent mmo's.   Even the armor sets look better than what I've seen in other mmo's.  Also, I'm a fan of housing and I loved the housing villages.

There was a sense of belonging to your realm.  So many mmo's start you off in some outpost in the middle of nowhere and you never get that sense of being a citizen or feeling part of it.  

I was a late comer to DAOC, so these were my experiences in the later stages of the game.  The one down side in my opinion was that the leveling was so fast at this point.  I had more max level characters here than I ever have in any mmo.

It was one of the best experiences I've had in any mmo.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

I don't like levelling games. That's the one thing that turned me off from it. Like all the others, it was directing my game play and I felt like I had little to no freedom of choice.

But as far as all these level grind games go (whether they have story driven quests or not), I like a lot of other aspects of it. The art was among my favorites. The battle grounds, for being this type of game, were well done and seemed to make some sort of sense.

But in the end, it was still a game of controlled advancement through zones, and lacked meaningful social and worldly simulations. So it wasn't for me.

Once upon a time....

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

I played the first 5-6 months or so on Guin.  Couldn't quite hit max level, stalled in the mid to late 40s.  The PvE just became too much.  Spawn camping, mind numbing.  Killing 10k trees to gain a level...joy.   Pointless or broken quests that weren't worth the time.  BOOOORING gear that all looked the same.  Plate, steel, chain...all the same except for a different shade.  A halberd was a halberd no matter the level.  They all looked the same.  Pike was a pike.  The only difference was in the stats.  BORING!  TRAINS were great too=)  Mythic didn't learn too much from EQ.

The PvP really wasn't all that much better in the begining.  Mostly zergs banging heads for a few hours every night and if any relics were taken, they were stolen as people logged for the night to sleep.  The infamous 3am raids made any effort trying to defend or capture a relic rather trivial.  What was the point, honestly?  Fight for 3 or 4 hours and its poof a few hours later because some people can play into the early morning and don't have jobs=) 

Too few options in battle.  No counters.  No defense for the most part.  AOE Stunned/Mezed for minutes until dead.  You just sat there, doing nothing.  EXP loss.  Server crashes which led to EXP loss.  15+ min runs just to get back into the fight.  Having to wait for 10min just to be ported.  Mostly unitemized dungeons.  1 shot rangers.  Infiltrators/Assasins attacking, killing and getting away without dropping stealth...LAME!! Nuking through walls...fantastic.  Hitting people in melee range from what looked like 50 yards=)  /face /stick designed to counter the horrendous latency and lag.  I left before radar started causing problems.

Just another case of people tolerating a whole lot of sh$%#^t just to RvR, because it was new.  Once I got out there and was at a level where I thought I could actually do something, I realized just how pointless it all was.   DF was a neat concept but also pointless.  Unless you planned on playing for 6 hrs you could be fighting to kick people out but never have a chance at benefiting from any of it.   Quite lame as well.  

DAOC basically ended any tolerance I had left for shotty design.  It was the last MMO I ever tolerated doing something unfun to get to the good part.  From then on out, if I felt I had to settle, I /quit instead.   Much better use of my time.  Thanks Mythic.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Pretty much what Kyle and Shylock said.  That game reeks of community, the good kind.  When I played the game from the beginning the people around were friendlier, more reasonable then they are nowadays.  Now everybody's too quick to judge and condemn people for asking a simple question.  I can recall spending some of my sessions in the /advice channel talking to new people and answering questions that they might have had.  I even rolled a shaman that could buff and heal people and would spend my time in the various starter towns healing/buffing people and providing them with answers to the many questions they had... and I wasn't the only one. 

My friends list in that game was packed full of good people and my guildies from the 2 different guilds that I belonged to in my ~6 years of playing are second to none.  The thing is, it's not just my guildies that made the game for me, it was the rest of my realm that gave a damn, that played together, told you who the ninja looters/assholes were, and actually wanted you to have as much fun as they did.  I would ask around for open spots in some of the groups that were being run and if the person I was asking had a full group he would try and ask around for open spots that I could fill.  There was a sense of unity of sorts I suppose.... a brotherhood you could call it.  Just like Shylock said above, when I hit 50 for the first time I had people from other guilds that I rarely spoke to congratulate me and then suggest crafters I should go to that would give me good deals on my max level equipment, or if they happen to have chosen a craft they'd tell me about it and we'd then spend the next 45 minutes haggling on prices and trying to work out deals so that the both of us would come out ahead.  You don't find this in games anymore.  Nowadays people just segregate themselves into guilds of ~15 people and that's all they know.

The PVP for me was great.  It provided a reason for you to fight, and brought everybody together.  The PVE was just right for me too.  If I chose to, I could roam around and find groups to play with anywhere.  The dungeons were open to everybody and you never felt alone of locked away from the rest of the population.  The crafting although not particularly engaging, was very meaningful and crafters were respected and more often then not infamous.

The game also featured a wide range of ways you could alter your characters appearance.  You could have different styles of head gear made, different styles of armor, but the best part was the dye system where you could color your gear any way you wanted PIECE BY PIECE.  Individuality was abundant everywhere, and more often then not you could tell who it was that was coming just by what they were wearing and how they looked.  No clown suits unless you chose to make them that way and some did... I had a full suit of LIME GREEN armor.

The bad parts of the game in my opinion came later in the life of DAoC with the Trials of Atlantis expansion that made drastic changes to the way the game played and then was further changed for the worse with the addition of New Frontiers that altered the feel of the PVP areas.  After ToA people became disappointed with the direction the game was taking and there was a decent exodus which later prompted Mythic to institute "classic" servers where ToA was not enabled.  At that point though it was a little too late and the game never really recovered... which is a damn shame.

I've tried a few times to go back to it but it's just not the same anymore.  The people who play are all veterans that stick to max level PVP and there are rarely any people in the starting towns.  Personally the game has lost the feel it had many years ago and to me it's a real shame.  Too bad DAoC... I still have fond memories.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Shazzel1Shazzel1 Member Posts: 26

DAOC was pretty bad early on but it was the only alternative to the very carebearish EQ. Extremely unbalanced on release early DAOC sported broken class's, bad itemization, unfinished pvp, unfinished crafting and terrible PVE. In fact as I recall the reason I played it was "it wasnt sony or everquest".

With patches DAOC improved and their PVP became relevant, this was its golden age around the time of its first expansion. Unfortunately the PVE never improved and progressively the game became watered down by OP abilities/PVE items etc.

There really is a whole lot more to it, but all you really need to know is after their 2nd expansion the game went downhill fast.

As for DAOC's "Golden Era" I would have rated is as follows: (scale= 1-10)

PVE:  5  - Darkness falls and the first expansion were both interesting enough to warrent a 5 (at the time)

PVP: 8   - The first true mmo pvp experience for most. Discounting AC since it was never mainstream.

Graphics: 6 - Passable for its era, but not good even then.

Sound: 4 - Nothing special

Crafting 3 - gawd it twas terribad

Luckily for the PVP'ers Shadowbane came out shortly after DAOC started to faiL.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

Was a bit ruff and hard to level at first but they really went all out to fix anything wrong. after about 6 months it was a gem actually the best over all mmo I ever played. I would get bored leave come back did that three times and was fun again all three. I really believe if they dropped the price people would leave wowhammer and go back to it. Too bad its a ghost town mostly now. I left EQ after $ony took over to play it and never looked back. The only other game to hold me near as long was EVE.

• kylejo21kylejo21 Member Posts: 2

There is a big difference between PvP and RvR.  The player versus player aspect of mordred was fun, for a while.  The Realm versus Realm fighting as a whole is what built up the community.  That was the main concern for a realm, defending its relics/keeps.  The ninja 3am raids were annoying, but that actually created a new goal, to take them back.  The RvR areas were actually large enough to have decent group versus group fights.  The old world frontier was the best and the decline in the game appeared as new content was released (New Frontiers).  The pve was a necessary evil to get to your max level and it was somewhat a grind in the beginning (I started in  Nov 2001 if I remember correctly).  One of the better concepts was camp bonus and xp bonuses in the frontier areas where you may come into contact with enemies from another realm.  If you choose to grind on the same mobs, you will get less and less experience bonus from them until the camp bonus is gone so it encourages you to move around and check out different areas.  Attempting to level in the RvR areas would have such better experience per mob that it was the best way to level and you always had to move your camera angles around to check your  six.  Good times, but times change.  

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

What made me Love Daoc so much?

The epic 3 way( or 2 against 1) battles.Nothing compares to it,not even their re-attempt in Warhammer.

Relic raids would keep you up well into the early morning defending or attacking.

The server I played on,all three sides were well balanced,so often times no one was getting zerged to death.It was an even playing field more or less and the battles were epic.

Not to mention creeping around Darkness Falls as a stealther to cause a little havoc haha..

Man,those were the days...DAOC is definitely a classic.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by Josher

I played the first 5-6 months or so on Guin.  Couldn't quite hit max level, stalled in the mid to late 40s.  The PvE just became too much.  Spawn camping, mind numbing.  Killing 10k trees to gain a level...joy.   Pointless or broken quests that weren't worth the time.  BOOOORING gear that all looked the same.  Plate, steel, chain...all the same except for a different shade.  A halberd was a halberd no matter the level.  They all looked the same.  Pike was a pike.  The only difference was in the stats.  BORING!  TRAINS were great too=)  Mythic didn't learn too much from EQ.
    The PvP really wasn't all that much better in the begining.  Mostly zergs banging heads for a few hours every night and if any relics were taken, they were stolen as people logged for the night to sleep.  The infamous 3am raids made any effort trying to defend or capture a relic rather trivial.  What was the point, honestly?  Fight for 3 or 4 hours and its poof a few hours later because some people can play into the early morning and don't have jobs=) 
    Too few options in battle.  No counters.  No defense for the most part.  AOE Stunned/Mezed for minutes until dead.  You just sat there, doing nothing.  EXP loss.  Server crashes which led to EXP loss.  15+ min runs just to get back into the fight.  Having to wait for 10min just to be ported.  Mostly unitemized dungeons.  1 shot rangers.  Infiltrators/Assasins attacking, killing and getting away without dropping stealth...LAME!! Nuking through walls...fantastic.  Hitting people in melee range from what looked like 50 yards=)  /face /stick designed to counter the horrendous latency and lag.  I left before radar started causing problems.
    Just another case of people tolerating a whole lot of sh$%#^t just to RvR, because it was new.  Once I got out there and was at a level where I thought I could actually do something, I realized just how pointless it all was.   DF was a neat concept but also pointless.  Unless you planned on playing for 6 hrs you could be fighting to kick people out but never have a chance at benefiting from any of it.   Quite lame as well.  
    DAOC basically ended any tolerance I had left for shotty design.  It was the last MMO I ever tolerated doing something unfun to get to the good part.  From then on out, if I felt I had to settle, I /quit instead.   Much better use of my time.  Thanks Mythic.

That sums up the first generations of MMORPG's with an added RvR quite well.

The best phrase was " ... tolerated doing unfun stuff to ....".

The future succesful mmorpg will have to bring "...  fun stuff doing now and 3 years from now...".

And no, killing 10K "X" to gain one level is not going to do the tric nor is "nostalgia".

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• JixxJixx Member Posts: 159

The best way I can sum up DAoC is that it was a really awsome game before Mythic started releasing expansions and 'balancing' PvP.  WoW or WAR isn't responsible for killing DAoC.   Mythic is responsible for killing DAoC.  I'll probably

never try another Mythic MMO again.  Considering Warhammer suffers from the exact same problems DAoC did. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Let me see.i deleted the game first day,it might have been decent for the year 2000,but now a days it is done for me.

I will try to relive two/three glaring mess ups as soon as i started the game.

First tutorial,learn how to move,it clearly states either WASD or ARROWS.I think great,i can't stand WASD and prefer arrows.Well nice job,does anyone actually check their own product?The ONLY arrow that worked was the down arrow,so after a bit i find the key mapping and sure enough,the other 3 arrows were not bound to work lol sad.

Number two,i head out to the town or outpost ,whatever it is.I do some tutorial quest.NPC asks me to use a combat art and attack the dummy.I look over the few choices i have,yep there it is [combart art]i think it was a spinning attack of some kind,whatever.I walk up to dummy use the ONLY combat art i had and no update lol,bah.

I wal;k back to NPC to see if i missed anything,nope,i continue to use the only choice i had several times on the dummy,and no update,so i delete and move on.

This was the finishing point for me,in an already less than aspiring game.I head to the next town or whatever i is ,outpost,and i see some mobs in the path.I think ok,i remember Purple is a no go.Instead i pick out some white ones, i begin to fight,nothing seems to happen,i'ts like the game has paused,then all of a sudden i'm dead,i am like WTF !I look over while i am dead and all of a sudden the mob that killed me turns purple lmao,whatever,it's white then purple after it kills me.

SO i figured,if the game is this botched up already,and nothing else in the design or looks attracted me,it was time to make a quick exit.The game just felt extremely archaic,like a very old game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Good:

- large scale  RVR with 3 factions

- sieges, conquest

- game mechanics enforced player interaction, made for a strong community

- well-crafted game world. There are some memorable places in this game - especially in the original zones (remote valleys, dense forrests, etc)

- Three lore systems, so something for everyone

- catered to all types of (PvP) players - soloists, elitits (8vs8) or casuals (epic zergs)

- had some good PvE coming in with the first expansion (Shrouded isles) - especially the epic dungeons. Very time consuming tho

- people had a different attitude back then - more layed back. We just chatted a lot more, less focused on getting to the end of the game - but that is probably not specific to the game

Bad:

- became very gear-centric with the Trials of Atlantis expansion (TOA)

- PvE grind got insane with TOA, massive time sink in what was supposed to be an RvR game

- PVE was never that great to begin with (mechanics wise)

- With time the atmosphere (especially in RvR) became more and more competitive, driving away 'randoms', introduced buff botting, gear grind, etc etc. Partly Mythic's fold, but otherwise probably the natural course of things with this type of game.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I actually liked many parts of Trials of Atlantis and New Frontiers. But I guess it was introduced at the wrong time and in the wrong way. Changed too much of the game in one go and threw balance between casters and melee out the window. And most didnt really want to spend that much time going back to PvE.

What got me to leave was the expansion after catacombs.. although I still wonder what my troll berserker would look like with a rainbow unicorn mount.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

I second Illius post.

I played DAoC from day 1 until WAR came out (boy and I regret leaving DAoC for WAR).

Storyline

There really isn't one, besides the whole death of King Arthur and the 3 factions going at war, the only thing that could give a linear story is the Epic Quest that are all linked as you level to give you your Epic Armor in the end.

PvE

As "weak" as some people mentioned, I think DAoC has shined in this department over other MMO's, it's not as fun as stated, but you have so much variety that it's hard to get bored unless you are thick headed on doing only certain things. You can solo grind in the open, you can do quests (usual kill quest and fedex quest), you can group up with others and do harder mobs for better exp and loot, there were open dungeons and instanced group dungeons. There was also Darkness Falls and the Battlegrounds to level and get some RvR excitement if you were up to the challenge.

Zones

They are pretty big and varied, and with multiple zones with same level mobs in case you can't find a zone for your level or some are too camped. Graphically they are not the best out there, the game has it's ages, but they are better arranged and still looks better than other newer and bigger games.

Crafting

Now this is a touchy one, I for one love crafting so it was great for me, I know some found it boring and tedious because it was more of a rinse and repeat thing. In other games you have to spend hours gathering materials and even racing against other players to get them, or spend fortunes on player markets to buy materials so you can craft, in contrast to that, DAoC is more simple, a NPC in the same area where you craft sells everything you need (sometimes 2 NPC's), so all you need is time and a deep in-game pocket as it is a money sink. The renewal of the Epic Zones (Dragon area) added drop items for high level potions, but this will not hamper your leveling of the craft.

RvR

This is the jewel of DAoC, the 3 realm system worked beautifully and no other MMO has made the attempt to simulate it. You can start RvRing from lvl1 with the "little DF" as some call it, which are 2 instances 1-4 and 5-9, after that you can start going to the Battlegrounds that also have different level ranges to avoid griefing. You also get increased XP in RvR so you kill 2 birds with one stone. In the Frontiers it's open game, you can go level there in the teens for even more increased XP but you have the chance of getting ganked by a 50, and they do roam the XP spots every day, but besides that, the Frontiers is a pretty big, actually huge place where you'll find Keeps and Towers your realm owns or has to take from the enemy. You can use rams to smash the doors open, trebuchets to make holes on keep walls or to raze down a tower, catapults to do AoE damage on defenders or attackers, use ballistas to destroy enemy siege, boiling oil to kill attackers near the doors.

You can join in massive raids to enemy frontiers to breach the gates that protect their relics, tho be warned, these raids usually involve 100v100 fights and performance will take a hit. These raids are not reserved to the Frontiers alone, you can usually find big fights in the Battlegrounds as well, specially the ones that have closed keeps and towers (the low lvl ones start with no keep, and then go to a open keep with few guards, to big upgradable keeps with towers.

Raids

Each realm has a set of dungeons for level ranges, these are easily done with a group, but at the higher levels, thanks to the Shrouded Isles expansion, more challenging dungeon were added where a group might not be enough. Asides those dungeons there are Epic Dungeons, 1 per realm which do require a large battle group to finish, these Epic Dungeons are open instances with long respawn timers, so if you go in and don't find any mobs, then there's a raid in progress or it was already done hours ago. The Catacombs expansion also added a closed instance Epic dungeon, not as big as a Raid, but equaly hard and you can only take 1 group.

Overall, I have played most MMO's from UO to Aion, and DAoC is the only one that keeps pulling me in, the PvE might not be the best, but has variety enough to keep you going, the RvR (PvP) is the best in the MMO world (yes even better than WAR's that's newer than DAoC), and the community is just incredible, which is a downside for me as the friends that I played with for so many years moved on, which means I had to move on as the game isn't the same without them...that good is the community, you create strong bonds.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Let me see.i deleted the game first day,it might have been decent for the year 2000,but now a days it is done for me.
    I will try to relive two/three glaring mess ups as soon as i started the game.
    First tutorial,learn how to move,it clearly states either WASD or ARROWS.I think great,i can't stand WASD and prefer arrows.Well nice job,does anyone actually check their own product?The ONLY arrow that worked was the down arrow,so after a bit i find the key mapping and sure enough,the other 3 arrows were not bound to work lol sad.
    Number two,i head out to the town or outpost ,whatever it is.I do some tutorial quest.NPC asks me to use a combat art and attack the dummy.I look over the few choices i have,yep there it is [combart art]i think it was a spinning attack of some kind,whatever.I walk up to dummy use the ONLY combat art i had and no update lol,bah.
    I wal;k back to NPC to see if i missed anything,nope,i continue to use the only choice i had several times on the dummy,and no update,so i delete and move on.
    This was the finishing point for me,in an already less than aspiring game.I head to the next town or whatever i is ,outpost,and i see some mobs in the path.I think ok,i remember Purple is a no go.Instead i pick out some white ones, i begin to fight,nothing seems to happen,i'ts like the game has paused,then all of a sudden i'm dead,i am like WTF !I look over while i am dead and all of a sudden the mob that killed me turns purple lmao,whatever,it's white then purple after it kills me.
    SO i figured,if the game is this botched up already,and nothing else in the design or looks attracted me,it was time to make a quick exit.The game just felt extremely archaic,like a very old game.

Sadly you didn't give it a fair try, the keyboard mapping is hard to find as it doesn't really tell you, you have to ask for help from other players, but all you do is type /keyboard to access it, yes the arrows are not mapped by default, in that mapping window there's 3 pre set options, FPS, RPG and something else (forgot by now hehe), I believe if you click RPG, it changes to map the arrows as the movement keys, but regardless, you can remap everything.

As for the dummy, I agree, the game is very specific, I normally skipped the tutorial when I made my alts, but I believe there's a certain order you had hit the dummies.

As for the mob, that's not rare in DAoC, there are some mobs that lie to you and disappear after you hit them and the real mob appears, this game's AI isn't stupid, they'll use hunting instincts, if a lower con mob is what it takes to draw you in, then that's what they'll do. Given, in all my years I've only found 3 mobs that do that in the entire game, you just had some awful luck lol Boy you would have had some fun hunting the water beetles outside Mag Mel, attack one and 20 come out of the river to kill you haha.

The freezing up in combat does happen depending on your internet connection and video card, used to happen a lot to me before, but fixed it when I changed vid cards.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Pretty much what most others have said, I'll go over it again :

- Even tho PvE was basic and there were no quests, it was alot of fun because you had to group with people and made friends along the way.

- PVE raids were great because EVERYONE could join, that was the beauty of it. When raids on the Dragon or Cear Sidi were organized, some alliance would get a group of people together, and if a group was full, a new group was made. It was inclusive ( unlike WoW raids ).

- RvR pre-ToA-NF, was the greatest form of PvP I ever participated in. There were all kinds of RvR forms, the small but strong "gank" squads, with 8 players, who would pick off stragglers or fight against other 8 man groups. There was the zerg, where anyone could join easely to fight the enemy. There was realm pride, if one of our keeps or relics were under attack people of the same realm banded together to kill the "evil" enemy. One example, one time we were raiding Cear Sidi for a few hours ( 50+ people ) and we broke up the raid to go defend our relic, the leaders decided, everyone agreed, and there we went. Imagine that in a WoW raid ...

- Relics and Darkness Falls, 2 very important pieces of the RvR puzzle, it were goals, you either had them and you defended it, or your enemy had them and you would go get them. Relics added a form of real persistence, if the enemy took them, they would keep them for eternity, unless you would go get them back. Hence relic raids.

- Keep defense and offenses, awesome fun.

- Awesome community, between the realm pride and the grouping for PvE this awesome community was forged.

- Greatest guild ever ( Ara Veritas :p ), okay that is more personal :), but I am sure many great guilds were made, guilds could claim keeps to upgrade them and earn goodies.

There is more, but DAoC-pre-ToA-NF was the best mmo experience, and best game experience I ever had. I just think that Mythic was just lucky and they did not really understand the game, that is why WAR was such a failure.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• IzeBergz11IzeBergz11 Member Posts: 16

Would just like to thank everyone for their posts.  I read every word.  I do have to say though that Wizardry displayed Murphy's law quite well with his recollection of the game.  Please keep the posts coming its nice to read about what everyone believes was good and bad about a game even if I personally did not get a chance to experience it. 

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by CyberWiz

Pretty much what most others have said, I'll go over it again :
    - Even tho PvE was basic and there were no quests, it was alot of fun because you had to group with people and made friends along the way.
    - PVE raids were great because EVERYONE could join, that was the beauty of it. When raids on the Dragon or Cear Sidi were organized, some alliance would get a group of people together, and if a group was full, a new group was made. It was inclusive ( unlike WoW raids ).
    - RvR pre-ToA-NF, was the greatest form of PvP I ever participated in. There were all kinds of RvR forms, the small but strong "gank" squads, with 8 players, who would pick off stragglers or fight against other 8 man groups. There was the zerg, where anyone could join easely to fight the enemy. There was realm pride, if one of our keeps or relics were under attack people of the same realm banded together to kill the "evil" enemy. One example, one time we were raiding Cear Sidi for a few hours ( 50+ people ) and we broke up the raid to go defend our relic, the leaders decided, everyone agreed, and there we went. Imagine that in a WoW raid ...
    - Relics and Darkness Falls, 2 very important pieces of the RvR puzzle, it were goals, you either had them and you defended it, or your enemy had them and you would go get them. Relics added a form of real persistence, if the enemy took them, they would keep them for eternity, unless you would go get them back. Hence relic raids.
    - Keep defense and offenses, awesome fun.
    - Awesome community, between the realm pride and the grouping for PvE this awesome community was forged.
    - Greatest guild ever ( Ara Veritas :p ), okay that is more personal :), but I am sure many great guilds were made, guilds could claim keeps to upgrade them and earn goodies.

There is more, but DAoC-pre-ToA-NF was the best mmo experience, and best game experience I ever had. I just think that Mythic was just lucky and they did not really understand the game, that is why WAR was such a failure.

Wrong. There was ALOT of quests for its time. They didnt have ! making it easy, but alot of NPCs had quests and nice rewards.

To see for yourself: http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html

Search quests for from classic. There was even a whole Epic Quest line per class too.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Let's see what I can remember...

Pros:

1. The world felt authentic. Mythic did a good job of creating a heavy medieval feeling; Albion felt like Britain, Midgard felt like perhaps Denmark or Norway, and Hibernia felt like Ireland. They also did a good job of translating each land's lore into playable classes, creating a large variety (which was both good and bad).
    2. RvR. Of course, this is why DAoC is immortalized. I don't think any other game will have RvR as good as DAoC... even if they made a DAoC2. Why? Because of...
    3. Realm Pride. This is unique in DAoC; I have never experienced it in any other game. Realm Pride was a sense of unity and teamwork that existed among strangers in your entire Realm, not just among guildmates like other MMOs. For example, instead of selling equipment for ridiculous prices to lower players, people would simply give it away so lower players would be stronger and could... you guessed it... fight for the Realm. Winning battles was important and everyone wanted to claim victory. I think, like most people do, that the people who played MMOs back then are far different than those who play them now. That's why I don't think any other game will foster such a feeling, which is a shame.
    4. Crafting - both a pro and a con, similar to number of classes. The pro part is the variety they had and the many things a player could do with it. Everything from making armor to repairing Keep doors.

Cons:

1. Not a major con, but graphics/animations. I understand the game launched in 2001, and it's had some graphical improvements, but (sigh) I'm a graphics whore on the inside. Plus, some of the mob animations were pretty rough.
    2. Number of classes. While variety is the spice of life, when it comes to balance, it's the spice of hell. Mythic could never really balance the classes, so instead, they swung a big nerfbat all over the place. Hey, it was a good attempt by a first-time MMO company, but unfortunately, it made some players... less than happy.
    3. PvE. While PvE was adequate enough for me (especially Darkness Falls, which was a combination of RvR and PvE), I'm mainly referring to ToA. I played after ToA's release, but I definitely feel the negative vibe towards it. And I understand why. Mythic made a big mistake trying to force PvE into an RvR game. Well, they could've added PvE, but they shouldn't have made it more important than RvR.
    4. Crafting - the grind. Crafting was horribly boring to level up, in my opinion. That's why Mark Jacobs tried to eliminate that grind in Warhammer. Hey, great job Mark. I just wish you would've kept the variety, as mentioned in the Pros section, and only removed the grind.

I was quite young when I played it, so I don't remember much. But that's what I recall. I do hope they make a DAoC2.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

The best  concept of any PvP based MMO to date, including the one I'm playing. The combat, character advancement and the death penalties rank behind Darkfall.

#2 best PvP MMO to date only 2nd to Darkfall (I've played them all and this is just an opinion)

My #1 MMO from 2001-2005.