Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD

KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

so what AMD processor is good for a $1000 gaming pc

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

For a 1k system you need the majority of your cash into the video card so basically you need to get a quality processor at a cheap price.

My best bet for that is www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

If you wanna go up in price a little you could go with www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

their new 975 is supposed to be a good processor.

the best for normal player is either the x2 255 or the x2 550 be.

both dual core i tend to favor the 255 since it was made from scartch to be a dual core i have a 550 and there are bios setting that could be used if it wasnt a quad with 2 locked core,and the other 2 are really faulty .

quad arent needed since there are no game that can push em anyway they mostly push graphic card

i got a 5770 ati (yes new )and the ms thing say im at 7.4 out of 7.9.didnt activate pcie 2.0 since for some weird reason some toy are pcie1.0

the only thing i hate is the port thingy i the bios

it just say port 2 to 7.how the eck am i supposed to know what port is linked to what lol

aside from that men i made a good call with amd.

i thot intel were faster and them being in 32 nm probably are .but since processor for gamer is the most uselless piece of equipement i ll stick to amd.

intel as one feature that makes me recommend them instead of amd to the server industry(but only if you can use that feature)

the feature is called direct cache access,it link network to your processor cache directly bypassing memory(making it ton faster)

for regular joe its probably uselless but for server supplying mmo or other content its probably one of the top feature that exist.

i dont think amd as the equivalent.intel dont write this feature on all of their processor so you ll have to check online to know wich have them

since some bot processor that had this feature but intel didnt think it a good idea to show off that feature on some of their processor ,so dont be surprised if you find you got an older proc and that feature can be enabled

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

The Phenom II X4 955 is the last stop before i5 750 territory. If I were recommending systems based on both price and performance I'd go:

i7 920 + mobo + Radeon 5870 + 6GB = $1010
    i7 860 + mobo + Radeon 5870 + 4GB = $940
    i5 750 + mobo + Radeon 5850 + 4GB = $735
    Phenom II 955 + mobo + Radeon 5850 + 4GB = $675
    Phenom II 720 + mobo + Radeon 5850 + 4GB = $600
    Phenom II 720 + mobo + Radeon 5770 + 4GB = $480
    Phenom II 550 + mobo + Radeon 5770 + 4GB = $450

The prices aren't including case, PSU, hard drive or dvd drive. Add about $200 for all that to each of those prices. That puts the i5 750 at ~$935 as the best PC for under $1000 or Phenom II 955 at ~$875.

You could still easily pair up a 5870 with an i5 750 or Phenom II 955 but usually if people are buying a $400 video card they are in the market for an i7 anyway.

if you go intel take the biggest i5 (32 nm)you can find.

45 nm(i7)vs32nm(i5) doesnt sound like a big leap but its one fairly big leap dont forget i5 do have onboard graphic chip

so you might be hable to use that,not sure since i dont have one of those my onboard 3300 ati sure is powerfull enought for most game.i went ati5770 because i wanted dx11.but since the title are so scarce for dx11 you can wait till a dx11 title comes out before buying a bigger gcard.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

the 965 with the new stepping is the top of the line for AMD.  I have a 940be and OC to 3.8gig with air cooling and a new 5770. 

If you want to save $$ you can go with the P X2 550; and with the right board (and a lil luck)  unlock the 3rd and 4th core. 

I have also heard the new 2.6 gig 905e (new refresh) is a good CPU for non overclockers.. low Power usage and low temp. 

Best buy has to be the 955 though

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

no but those prices don't include windows which is 200 

550 be unlocking is random luck you might buy 200 before finding one that the 4 core works

dont buy it for that feature

in my book x2 255 is the best bang for the $.very speedy and very cheap!

x2 550 can be oced easy to 3.8 without any cooling mod and some oced it to 4.2 without liquid!

so 550 be is a very good processor to oc (if you know what your doing)

but since processor speed is never an issue buy the x2 255 and go to the cinema instead with the left over

just make sure you buy an am3 or amd newest socket so that you can upgrade if you ever feel like it!

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Originally posted by Kamayor

Who pays for windows :) ?

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Phenom II x4 965 currently.  Costs about $190.  Should be able to overclock it to 4ghz on air fairly easily.

the 975 should be released soon though.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by blondeh

I do, no matter how much I don't like Microsoft's prices.  Not just to stay legal, but nearly every copy of windows found freely on the net have been rooted.  Perhaps this is the source of the recent rash of MMO hacks?  People downloading rooted win 7 copies?

To the OP, I agree with 965 or 975 if you can wait for it, but I'd add in a really nice cooler so you can OC that bad boy like it's meant to be pushed! :-)

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by ForceQuit

Originally posted by blondeh

I do, no matter how much I don't like Microsoft's prices.  Not just to stay legal, but nearly every copy of windows found freely on the net have been rooted.  Perhaps this is the source of the recent rash of MMO hacks?  People downloading rooted win 7 copies?

To the OP, I agree with 965 or 975 if you can wait for it, but I'd add in a really nice cooler so you can OC that bad boy like it's meant to be pushed! :-)

The only deal with the 965 (and presumably the 975) is it will OC to the same as the 955.  The new stepping helps it get a small edge over the 955, but unless you want to drastically OC then stick with the cheaper 955.

just my 2cents

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Pretty much any AMD desktop processor is in budget if you are willing to spend $1000 on a PC.  Even the 6 core Phenoms coming this Quarter are within reasonable budget.