Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking to attain a better understanding of computers: What books would you recommend?

loirnoirloirnoir Member Posts: 170

Hardware--Software--Networking... any type would do.

I just need somewhere to start.

Comments

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

Any A+ book will teach you all the basics. Any Network+ book will teach you basic/intermediate networking.

Search for these books on Amazon.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Google.

If you have the time to sit infront of your screen and read this stuff, most of every subject relating to computers has plenty of books on the internet in pdf form.

• loirnoirloirnoir Member Posts: 170

I've already begun an A+ book. All I can say is... It seems a bit too shallow for me. Like... It tells me "This does that." but doesn't really go into the details as to why or how.

Get a better book then.

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition by Michael Meyers is a good one. Released just a few days ago so it is very up-to-date and comprehensive.

Also, as previously suggested, if you still don't understand something, google it.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Is this for your own personal knowledge, or are you looking to advance a career?  Also, about what is your current knowledge level?

Because, hardware, software, and networking are pretty broad in scope...

Hardware could be PCs, Intel-based servers, UNIX systems, etc.  Software could mean anything from Windows, to Linux, to taking up a programming language.  Networking is just as broad, with routers, switches, specialized devices, etc...

Please be a bit more specific so we can help you better.

• VanazzulVanazzul Member Posts: 11

A quick suggestion if you don't mind staring at a screen is to hit up wikipedia.

http://www.wikipedia.org

You can get some really good information from there, plus it's free. I remember learning more stuff from there than from my classes when I did my major in computer sciences...

• loirnoirloirnoir Member Posts: 170

It's just to quench my curiosity. I guess it'd be logical to start with hardware. Everything I know is pretty surface level when it comes to computers.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by Defect

Get a better book then.
    CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition by Michael Meyers is a good one. Released just a few days ago so it is very up-to-date and comprehensive.
    Also, as previously suggested, if you still don't understand something, google it.

Pretty good book for a beginner. Have the sixth ed. but got bored of it since I knew practically everything already.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• colutrcolutr Member Posts: 333

The internet is my textbook

Originally posted by pyrofreak

Originally posted by Defect

Get a better book then.

Pretty good book for a beginner. Have the sixth ed. but got bored of it since I knew practically everything already.

Not sure why you got a beginner book then if you already know everything there is to know.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

What type of understanding do you want?  A+ will give you a basic understanding of those subjects, however if you delve deeper there is a whole bunch of other aspects.  Pretty much its too complicated for someone to understand the full aspects of computers.  They specialize in one of the following.  Software, Hardware, or Networking.