Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO burnout....what I did.

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

I started with UO and played that for a few years, then I got into EQ and played that for a five years. Nothing every caught my attention after that and stuck on me like glue and the nostalgia it let off.  Furthermore, DAOC, Shadowbane, SWG, EQ 2, WOW..........and so on. ( you get the picture).  Im figuring to myself you cant let go of your first real love......EQ or plain and simple burnout.

anyways.....I picked up some single RPG games in hopes to relive some sort of experience of back in the old days of the Bards Tale, Ultima 1,2,3,4 and so on.. These games consisted of

Dreamfall

The Witcher

Dragon age origins,

Fear.

yea its a mix but damn they are hands down the best games for ME! or so I felt. Now I downloaded Dungeons and dragons and Im having a bit of fun. Who knows how long, but at least its a fun game for me and its free.

Anyone bored go out and purchase them. It was a good breather.

Comments

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Your list seems eerily similar to mine. Although i started with EQ at release up until planes of power which I enjoyed for about 6 months. Close to 5 years. Played DAOC and Shadowbane as well.

I'm extremely burned out too to the point where Diablo 3 is the only game I can see myself playing in the future. I'm going to give Global Agenda a go since I enjoyed Hellgate London but it's just going to be a filler.

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by Fibsdk

Your list seems eerily similar to mine. Although i started with EQ at release up until planes of power which I enjoyed for about 6 months. Close to 5 years. Played DAOC and Shadowbane as well.

I'm extremely burned out too to the point where Diablo 3 is the only game I can see myself playing in the future. I'm going to give Global Agenda a go since I enjoyed Hellgate London but it's just going to be a filler.

I just dont know what it is.. I think it boils down to

"Awesome an online game.. whats that?.........dial up? Ok.. we can get that...beep beep boop boop boop....chzhzhzhhahhshshsh... Ok im on. Wow theres other people running around.. Hey they can talk to me..

Its the newness of something I guess almost like when you had your first kiss, or your first car. After that the pain comes of feelings, and car payments. Guess it only lasts for a bit when it was so new at the time.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I dunno, developers have until Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 to make me a believer again in mmos. Although I certainly can't wait to play Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic! In the meantime I will continue to play on my Xbox 360 and Guild Wars.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I think a lot has to do with just the industry as of late. You go into a new game all excited for something new and different only to ask yourself "hey, havnt I done this before...in a different game?" There is no originality anymore, and every game just seems to be the same thing over and over.

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

I think the Main reason i have gotten burn out is because when it was all new a fresh everyone loved that we could all talk and play together. I remember in EQ i could get a group almost any time of the day and i loved In UO when i would see a toon with a red name coming up while i was mining and i was would take off running and they would yell "come back i just want to talk" Back then it was all fun now you get " WTF nood" or "shut up im not here to play with other people" Back when the Community had a purpose.... well atleast i felt like it did. The games themselves have not burnt me as much as the un needed/wanted community.

• SeirenSeiren Member CommonPosts: 89

The first MMO I was introduced to was MxO and I left after SOE took it over. From MxO I jumped into Ryzom, which to this day I say is the best MMO I've ever played even though I no longer play it. I have tried 88% of all the games out today and not one has replaced the fun factor or magic effect I used to get from Ryzom. I've been on burned-out break for the last 2-years. The one game that has cought my interest is APB, I guess because it reminds me of MxO even though the similarities are very few gamewise and aesthetically. I've been in DDO recently and it is fun, but only if you can find a good team to run with and the likelyhood of finding one is so poor that I stopped trying. I'm seriously considering going back to console games and hanging my MMO hat for good.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by cichy1012

I started with UO and played that for a few years, then I got into EQ and played that for a five years. Nothing every caught my attention after that and stuck on me like glue and the nostalgia it let off.  Furthermore, DAOC, Shadowbane, SWG, EQ 2, WOW..........and so on. ( you get the picture).  Im figuring to myself you cant let go of your first real love......EQ or plain and simple burnout.
    anyways.....I picked up some single RPG games in hopes to relive some sort of experience of back in the old days of the Bards Tale, Ultima 1,2,3,4 and so on.. These games consisted of
    Dreamfall
    The Witcher
    Dragon age origins,
    Fear.
    yea its a mix but damn they are hands down the best games for ME! or so I felt. Now I downloaded Dungeons and dragons and Im having a bit of fun. Who knows how long, but at least its a fun game for me and its free.
    Anyone bored go out and purchase them. It was a good breather.

Kinda what I am doing all my gaming life.

Only MMORPG that has taken me of from single/multiplayer games was Star Wars Galaxies, tho I spend 4 years with that game, it's first year I didn't touche any other pc title.

Overall I am a gamer with a taste for many different genre's, the ones you mentioned I had and bought on release, among many....MANY others aswell.

Hope you gonna try Fear2 aswell, 1 was fine, but 2 really gave me goosebumps <if spelled correct), play it in darkness and headphones and you get the picture. Witcher 2 is on it's way aswell, you might want to look out for TwoWorlds2, 2worlds1 was pretty decent, but seems everything we the playing community of the game didn't really like about 1 is listened too by it's developers to make part 2 the experiance 1 should have been.

There is just something MMORPG can't match to a good singleplayer game FOR ME PERSONALY!!!, they are my balance of things lacking in MMORPG to find it in single/multiplayer games. I also feel MMORPG lack the thrill of combat as it's very slow which again I balance with other games, not saying MMO combat is bad, it's just very different, also like PVP much more in multiplayer games due to it being faster then how it's done in MMORPG, tho in MMORPG it can be allot of fun when the hunt is on against large groups of PVP'rs.

In MMORPG sence it has taken years since a MMORPG has captured me, currently Fallen Earth is that game that has gotten me since release and slightly in beta, and still playing and subbed to it, as said it been years since a MMORPG gave me the MMORPG feel I personaly want out of a MMO. And the game looks great, has my desired feature's as I love crafting, I love to have my freedom, I alway's feel this need to explore and discover and Fallen Earth is that MMO for me personaly. Perhaps give it a try OP with the 10day trial> https://www.fallenearth.com/trial

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

“Your list seems eerily similar to mine.”

Nothing eerie about it, quality games with a RPG element are few and far between, we don’t exactly have thousands to choose from unfortunately.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Scot

“Your list seems eerily similar to mine.”
    Nothing eerie about it, quality games with a RPG element are few and far between, we don’t exactly have thousands to choose from unfortunately.

Unfortunately, single-player games are all way too short as well.  It takes about a week to beat just about any of them, then they're gone.  They have virtually no replay value, you already know what's coming.  So you play another one and another and another until you run out of good ones and you have nothing to do.

That's really what MMOs ought to be good for, a living world that's always growing so that you can play these games for years on end and never see or do it all. Unfortunately, MMOs just can't compare to the polish of the single-player game and for those of us who want quality... MMOs can never deliver.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None