Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the final word with Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray?

StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I've heard the rumor of Xbox 360 introducing a blu-ray component similar to their early HD DVD player since 2008.  I've heard this rumor be "confirmed" and "denied" multiple times.  Does anyone know what the latest is on this topic?

Comments

• I don't think its coming. They are already planning the next 360. So why would they waste time and make something to a system they are going to stop making a a few years.

• mrhachimrhachi Member Posts: 1

No Bluray on the 360, and the next 360 console is actually Natal.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

Major Nelson wrote on his site a few months back saying that they have no plans to release a Blu ray accessory for the 360.  Since one did not release this past Christmas and it is so late in the consoles life I would not expect one.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by mrhachi

I was under the impression that Natal will be an accessory for the current 360, not an entirely different system.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Stellos

I was under the impression that Natal will be an accessory for the current 360, not an entirely different system.

It will be, and I'm totally psyched...I may actually buy Halo: Reach if it gets Natal support. Why? It'd be a totally new experience.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Originally posted by Stellos

It will be, and I'm totally psyched...I may actually buy Halo: Reach if it gets Natal support. Why? It'd be a totally new experience.

Unfortunately, Halo:  Reach has been confirmed by Bungie to not be using Natal.

And I believe I had read somewhere also, one of the gaming blogs, that there will be no blu-ray for the 360.  Microsoft's next console, however, will probably have one.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Damn. There goes my only reason to buy the game. Oh well, someone in the fam probably will.

In any case, first shooter using Natal will be bought by myself (and probably 3/4 of American gamers) in a heartbeat.

I pity the fool who owns only a PS3 or only a Wii. Natal seems to be shaping up to be great from what I've seen. The recognition is essentially fluid!

• Originally posted by johnmatthais

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Damn. There goes my only reason to buy the game. Oh well, someone in the fam probably will.

In any case, first shooter using Natal will be bought by myself (and probably 3/4 of American gamers) in a heartbeat.

I pity the fool who owns only a PS3 or only a Wii. Natal seems to be shaping up to be great from what I've seen. The recognition is essentially fluid!

Then I laugh of thoses there own a Xbox. Obviously the PS3 is a more superior system. The PS3 is practically a computer. you can hook up a keyboard,mouse and printer. Its internet browser is almost as good as Internet Explorer. Also the PS3 updates itself frequently so add ons are always coming onto games and the system itself.

DONT get me wrong the 360 is a solid machine, but it is meant only for gaming, adults like me who drop 400.00 for a gaming system have the mentality that it better do some other shit out of the box, which the PS3 does not the 360.

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Then I laugh of thoses there own a Xbox. Obviously the PS3 is a more superior system. The PS3 is practically a computer. you can hook up a keyboard,mouse and printer. Its internet browser is almost as good as Internet Explorer. Also the PS3 updates itself frequently so add ons are always coming onto games and the system itself.

DONT get me wrong the 360 is a solid machine, but it is meant only for gaming, adults like me who drop 400.00 for a gaming system have the mentality that it better do some other shit out of the box, which the PS3 does not the 360.

DON'T get me wrong, but if you're buying a gaming console with the mentality that you're going to do something other than gaming, then you should think twice about why you're buying it.

Sure, printer and browser support is nice, as is the new trend that Facebook and Twitter should have Xbox Live and PSN apps, but the fact of the matter is that your computer can do it and do it ten times better. 

If you want a gaming console, buy a gaming console. 

If you want a computer, buy a computer.

You should not expect every console to morph into a computer. All you're doing is coming back to the inherent fact that we're slowly going to have even more platform dependent computer games.

I use my PS3, 360 and Wii all to their full potential as a gaming platform. They serve no other purpose to me. Anything else I want done, I do on my computer. That's its purpose.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

I LOL'd.  Superior this.  Inferior that.

Hmm I look forward to the day when we can buy an XBOX PCI-e card and throw it in our rig and play XBOX games.  Same with SONY, a nice PlayStation PCI-e card sounds nice.. haha

• Chiodos0542Chiodos0542 Member Posts: 10

PS3 all the way.. I've been with Microsoft for years now, but the PS3 just wrecks the Xbox 360 in every aspect.

Plus... PS3 has always had Blu Ray!

When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops. Where do I turn to make the pain stop?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

... XBOX 360 and Blu-Ray... seriously who cares ?

the xbox is a good enough console i guess, as is the ps3..  as for Blu-Ray, i think the boat has sailed on that one, and im not sure if there were all that many passengers... its a bit of a niche thing for the tech heads really.. most people prefer DVD's and upscalers tend to outperform the blu-ray players in terms of cost vs definition...  though i suspect that most people just stick with ordinary DVD quality anyway.. its a none issue really..