Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radeon 5770 vs GTX 260 (896 MB)

KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

so which one is better I've looked for the answer and Everyone just says based on brand loyalty I l'm looking primariliy at preformance

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ati 5770 1gig is a dx11 card.that says it all

since the 260 isnt a dx11 card its out!its that simple!

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Here are some benchmarks...can also google "5770 vs gtx 260"....I got a ton of comparisons

www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/asus-radeon-hd-5770-3dmarked-hd-5770-vs-hd-4890-vs-gtx260-vs-gtx275-66752/

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

It is true that brand is primarily preference. But in this case, ATI's new 5000 series are top notch right now. In my opinion just go with ATI. I just ordered 2 5750's Black Edition. Should hold me for a few years. If not, my mobo has 3 PCI x16 slots. :)

Getting too old for this $&17!

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

but which one gets better frames and such

• ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

and how much did we ever see of DX10. big show it was the future you need a DX10 card or you cant play games bla bla bla. and how many DX10 games did we see not many and how many of them was MMO 1? so i see DX11 as a new super hyped MMO we all know its gona disappoint you in the end and needs 1-2 years before you get the MMO you wanted.

got a gtx 280 my self but i think the ATI 5770 is the better of the two

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

• RPGOmenRPGOmen Member Posts: 38

ATI 5770 Juniper or Vapor-X.

Not only does it have DX11 capabilities but it also has a lower power consumption and better cooling options.

Crossfire is vastly superior to SLI as well (or it was a few years ago).

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

5770 is cheaper and faster than the GTX260, and has DX11. Also to the post about DX10.. DX11 is expected to be adopted very quickly, there were a lot of factors holding back DX10 that don't apply to DX11 and a lot of things going for DX11.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750_7.html#sect0 for benchmarks.. the 5770 even beats the GTX275 in some games.

my money is like this .if you got a dx10 card stick with it

if you got a dx9 card now you can upgrade to dx11 since its compatible with all dx

some sources say 260 is faster, but is there anyone unbaised to a particular brand this is my first gaming rig I'm wondering which one will get better frames on Crysis Warhead World  In Conflict Napoleon Total War  Bad Company 2 I don't care about DX11 i just want to know which one is faster

all the benchmarks look different ive seen some where there about the same and some where 260 has an edge but is Dx11 worth the .4 frames per second (and like 10 on world in conflict my favorite game)

sorry ATI fans going with Nvidia I did some reasearch and It's a lot faster its not worth lagging just for slightly improved graphics in like 10 games

dont know since they process data very differently for now the 260 might pull ahead (maybe)

but once driver are optimized,and the new game use the parallelle bandwith data path instead of a single  data path like the 260,

the 260 in the long run wont be able to follow in the futur game in say next year or 2 at most

but like i say if you have a 260 or its  half the price off a 5770 then buy it ,but if its the same price

buy a ati 5670 1 gig instead it wont be the fastest but it will run all the futur game and old game also very decently

ps:if you use a 32 bit system still dont go higher then a 512 mb graphic card

• RPGOmenRPGOmen Member Posts: 38

I've beem an Nvidia customer since the Geforce 4 Series and even have one of their cards in my system right now.

Though the ATI  CrossfireX, Eyefinity, and Stream technology trumps it's counterpart on nearly every aspect; lower power consumption, plays all games on max settings, DX11 and is attributed to being the best GPU series around.

Crossfire is superior to SLI (as of a few years ago) with their way the processing is distributed (in that it isn't cut in half but is checker boarded to ensure equal processing) and ATI's top of the line cards is acclaimed as being the fasted card in the world (though at the price of $700).

It's also a series famous for being very overclock friendly; it can reach superb overclock levels according to various sites such as Tom's Hardware.

In the end it's a matter of preferance, but ATI just has so many more features and expandability unless you're willing to wait for the next Nvidia generation of cards, as the current one's just aren't up to par.

In terms of popularity ATI also trumps Nvidia in today's market, as ATI cards have been very hard to get versus the Nvidia series gathering dust on the shelves; it may be hard to get anything other than a 57XX series if you go ATI, as 5870 and 5970 go like hotcakes despite the 5970's $700 pricetag.

If you're unsure of your PSU (power supply) then I'd definitely go with ATI as Nvidia cards are power hogs by comparison.

Edit: Typo

dont hold your breath for dx11 nvidia(next gen).it schedule for a march release but so far it looks like intel is also 1 quater away from releasing their monster for the graphic market

its scheduled to take highest ati card head on since we all know intel is one generation ahead of amd

and about 8 month ahead in graphic card nm size(32nm intel,40 nm ati)

and the fact intel can squeeze a lot more in any of their chip because they use a very advance way of doing their chip

the only reason intel havent got a gamer graphic card out yet in 32 nm is because they want to put it toguether with the processor  like the i5.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by noquarter

5770 is cheaper and faster than the GTX260, and has DX11. Also to the post about DX10.. DX11 is expected to be adopted very quickly, there were a lot of factors holding back DX10 that don't apply to DX11 and a lot of things going for DX11.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750_7.html#sect0 for benchmarks.. the 5770 even beats the GTX275 in some games.

Word has it also that the next-gen console from Microsoft will be DirectX11 based.  If this is true, then DX11 will be the new "DX9" since consoles are the lowest common denominator in game development nowadays.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Originally posted by noquarter

Word has it also that the next-gen console from Microsoft will be DirectX11 based.  If this is true, then DX11 will be the new "DX9" since consoles are the lowest common denominator in game development nowadays.

isnt xbox 360 already dx11 ,i heard the gamer maker only has to support it since xbox 360 already got it

i could be wrong here !

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Fastest of the 2 cards you are right. The 260 has a bit better performance. If you are not worried about future proofing system then the 260 will be what you want.

Just a thing to be aware of..if you ever want to put 2 into your system together, do not wait too long to buy the other one. The 260 will most likely get to be rarer  soon, and when that happens the prices go up, sometime quite a bit.

Originally posted by Kamayor

sorry ATI fans going with Nvidia I did some reasearch and It's a lot faster its not worth lagging just for slightly improved graphics in like 10 games

Well, to be frank, it's not a whole lot faster, and unless the engine is very poorly coded, lag is entirely unaffected by video cards.  Perhaps you mean frame-rates will be better on the 260?  The opposite statement could be just as true:  "It's not worth a couple extra frames-per-second for slightly poorer graphics."

There are many factors to consider when selecting a video card:  power consumption, heat, features, performance, cost, life=span, etc...

Well, it looks like you chose the 260.  It's supposed to be a nice card, if a bit overpriced imo.

dont hold your breath for dx11 nvidia(next gen).it schedule for a march release but so far it looks like intel is also 1 quater away from releasing their monster for the graphic market
    its scheduled to take highest ati card head on since we all know intel is one generation ahead of amd
    and about 8 month ahead in graphic card nm size(32nm intel,40 nm ati)
    and the fact intel can squeeze a lot more in any of their chip because they use a very advance way of doing their chip
    the only reason intel havent got a gamer graphic card out yet in 32 nm is because they want to put it toguether with the processor  like the i5.

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure Larrabee was shelved for the time being and Intel went back to the drawing board for their GPGPU?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Actually, the HD5770 is the faster of the 2 cards.  The HD5770 almost performs on the same level as the HD4870.  The HD4870 performs on the same level as the GTX275 and trashes the GTX260.  Whatever brought you to the opinion the GTX260 is faster must be based on a poor pool of games.  My Guess Crysis, Far Cry, Unreal 3, and Batman Darkham Asylum.  All of which limit the performance on ATI cards, some of which put in a hard cap.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Zorken

and how much did we ever see of DX10. big show it was the future you need a DX10 card or you cant play games bla bla bla. and how many DX10 games did we see not many and how many of them was MMO 1? so i see DX11 as a new super hyped MMO we all know its gona disappoint you in the end and needs 1-2 years before you get the MMO you wanted.

There is a difference.  DX10 flipped DX9 on its ears.  DX11 basically just takes DX10 and makes it better.  The turnover time will be significantly shorter for developers.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

The 5770 vs GTX260 fps depends on which site you look at and what settings they used. From what I've seen, sites that bench with 4xAA 16xAF the 5770 wins, while GTX260 wins with 2xAA and lower AF.. so turn down settings = GTX260, turn up settings = 5770. Results may vary with which optimizations are enabled too.

Overall they are really close. If World in Conflict is an important bench then definitely go by it because the GTX260 has a big lead in that one.

There is incredibly little reason not to adopt DX11 immediately.  You just look at what it can do as a developer and there just isn't a reason aside from using the game on Linux or Mac.  Its backwards compatible down to 9, which means consoles and people on Windows XP are no longer holding it back.  You get more processing, more performance, a wider bus, and scalability.  What more could you want as a developer?  Ohh wait.  Microsoft needs to develop a free easy to edit game engine next time.

• TwiggLeTwiggLe Member UncommonPosts: 85

I usually use Guru3d for my video card ratings..

http://www.guru3d.com/article/vga-charts-december-2009/10

Also as a note in about a month or so the new Nvidia cards will be out.

They should put Nivida back above ATI for the fastest cards.

The Guru3D charts have some odd anomolies.  I would take it with a bit more grain of salt because of this.  In some charts you have the HD4870 performing the same as the HD5770.  The HD5770 has half the memory bus, it should perform worse in all scenarios.  In some scenarios you had the GTX275 performing worse then the GTX260 core 216, that just shows signs of a problem with the test as the 275 is done at a later stepping and should run better.

Also in the chart they werent using a GTX260, they were using a GTX260 Core 216.  There is a difference.  The GTX260 has 192 stream processors. The GTX260 core 216 has 216 strem processors.  This is going to give the Core 216 a 12.5% increase in calculation power.  The GTX260 core 216 is priced in a different range then the HD5770.