Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underrated games that provide a whole new experience

Comments

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Added LinkRealms, Afterworld, A Tale In the Desert (can't believe I missed it), Perpetuum, and Force of Arms.

Force of Arms, LinkRealms, Perpetuum and Terra still need better descriptions. Volunteers?

• GidasGidas Member Posts: 68

Wow Thanks for this man. Read up on some of them and "Face of Mankind" is honestly giving me a buzzing feeling in the guts!

Sounds awesome, time to see if it really is as good in game as on paper (or on screen text if you would put it that way ;)

Thanks once again :)

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Excellent post John. Currently downloading MegaTen to give it a try and wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for this thread.

Thanks Gidas and Kabaal!

Hope you enjoy them. =D

To anyone reading this thread, you can set up a time meet me in-game and/or get some starter help in these games on the list if you so wish. However, I may not always be of any help. Terra, Afterworld and Darkwind, I'm especially having trouble with. xD

- Pernica - I could be of a little help. More than anything, you need to meet with John in-game so he can set up your job.

- Puzzle Pirates - I could be of a decent amount of help if I can find a crew soon.

- Rise: The Vieneo Province - I can help get you started and teach you the controls. That's about it so far.

- Darkwind - I'm no use but we could meet up and have a match or something. =]

- Hostile Space - Little use but we could adventure and level.

- Terra - No use but I'd be up for a clueless friend that explores the game with me. xD

- Gods and Idols - Haven't messed with it much.

- Afterworld - Just got it reinstalled. However, I could help you get started once I've restarted playing myself.

- Haven and Hearth - No use, I could use help myself. xD

- Puppet Guardian - I could give you a rundown.

- Faunasphere - I could teach you how it all works.

- Knights of Dream City - I could teach you how everything works.

Note: I had Face of Mankind, but it started giving me issues with ping and lag so I opted to free up the space and expand to more games. Overall, it asked for about 4 GB of my 19 GB partition.

Note2: It's not on the list, but still could be put on if enough people want me to, but you can ask to meet up in RealmLords, as well.

Question! Should I add The Endless Forest?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

You could also put my name up for any general questions regarding some, do alot of reading so know all the general stuff but not specific things.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Thank you original poster, nice list. I enjoyed reading about each game.

No problem! =D

Did you try any of them?

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

No problem! =D
    Did you try any of them?

I am trying Istaria right now. I believe it is a great game. I hope there is a population enough to group with, we shall see.

Originally posted by qombi

No problem! =D
    Did you try any of them?

I am trying Istaria right now. I believe it is a great game. I hope there is a population enough to group with, we shall see.

Nice. =D

Yeah, I've heard good things. I'm hoping so too. =]

• mattijaimattijai Member Posts: 5

Spellborn (spellborn.acclaim.com) - one of the few twitch-based fantasy MMOs on the market currently. It never saw much popularity, probably due to undermarketing, but I wouldn't take my word on it. It recently went free and is shifting to a cash shop model. I personally don't know much about the game and would appreciate someone else putting a description in. (Thanks Gabby!)

I played this game for 4+ months and throughly enjoyed the completely different game mechanics.  Twitch-based within a FPS-style would be more accurate.  The crafting/armor system is based on looking cool/unique more than actual stats but does allow for some basic augmentations through a rune-based system.  Very detailed orientation when you first start playing to assist people not used to FPS/twitch-based gameplay.  Graphics & gaming world are VERY solid.  The main city is HUGE and epic.  There are 2 playable races that couldn't look more different from each other.  This game is definitely more skill based than gear based where players will rely on a rotating skill deck that they can stack with skills.  I always compared the skill deck to playing a TCG where if you haven't stacked your deck right, you will be dead or SOL.  The only other feature I found interesting and would like to see more games utilize is the House functionality.  At a certain level you have the ability to choose an affiliation similar to different segments of society.  I haven't gone back since right before it went to F2P, but if the cash store is implemented correctly it may just bring some new life into this great game.

On a side note, undermarketing wasn't the only reason for low popularity.  There were numerous client/hardware issues that went unresolved, miscommunication/lack of communication from the development team, improper roll-out/website/forum issues and the biggest reason for its low popularity was, hold your breath, disgruntled player-base. 

All that aside, I would still go back and play it again because that skill-deck building & tweaking was addictive to say the least.

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

Thanks a lot for this great list :D

I just tried Haven and hearth, after walking around for god knows how long i finally came across 2 trees i could use to get branches from, and make some fires for Learning Points. I made a hearth fire there too incase the server would crash, cause the game is in alpha and a project of 2 students. Pretty impressive for alpha stage though.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Are you looking for a new game?
    Are you looking for something truly different?
    Are you looking for something that involves commitment and dedication?
    Are you looking for something that doesn't always give the easy way out?
    Are you willing to try something different?
    Are you willing to try a game that's been obscured and has very few players just for the sake of playing something different?
    If you answered yes to more than one, or all, of these questions, look no further, I have some suggestions that you might like.

Rise: The Vieneo Province (rise.unistellar.com) - a game that most would compare to EvE, but more sandbox-like and more complex. It's essentially a driving and flight sim, but at the same time a sandbox MMO. It's been dubbed an MMOSIM and has a 100,000,000 km world. You can stay to flying suborbital or leave the atmosphere and visit one of three space stations or even other planets if you so dare. You have the whole world at your disposal. You can buy land and create mines, farms or even develop urban regions. In each city, not only is there a player-run economy, but there are citizens whose happiness is affected by the economy.

I thought this one looked interesting.

Too bad it's broken and unplayable at least for me, it gives a  DirectX error. This is in windows XP.

Originally posted by altairzq 
    Too bad it's broken and unplayable at least for me, it gives a  DirectX error. This is in windows XP.

I haven't heard of it. I've personally had it work on 3 different computers >.>

• joilidjoilid Member Posts: 4

That's a great comprehensive list of underrated games, John. I was quite surprised to see Darkwind in there (I'm a huge fan of the game). Thanks brother :)

• adog2k1adog2k1 Member Posts: 7

Great list. I'm going to try to change your mind on Pirates of the Burning Sea, first by addressing your points about it:

1. imbalance between pirates and british - well, there are three nations (French, Spanish and British) and the Pirates. The Nations are best positioned to win each RvR cycle, while Pirates have some advantages for casual gameplay and they effectively act as a timer for the RvR cycle - if one nation can't win, eventually the Pirates will.

2. Underrated vs. bad design choices... tough one. What I like about this game is that the outcome of ship combat, whether solo or group, was based largely on personal skill and preparation. While on occasion there were some OP combinations of class and/or boat, most of the time it was theoretically possible to get very balanced fights with high degrees of variability, the ability to change strategies/tactics within a fight, and the ability to engage in extended group combat (a good 6v6 could take an hour or more to complete). Those are the strengths, and I don't think the gaming world knows about them, so in that sense it is under-rated. Bad design choices - yes, there are many, but when I played I was able to spend >70% of my time actively pursuing or engaged in the fun PvP combat I described above while participating in RvR as well. So I think problems like "no account/society/player warehouse" or "bad port-battle windows" or "horrible PvE" don't matter as much when you can spend most of your time doing something the game is very good at regardless. I would add that the company has made some steps forward over time as well - introducing buy orders, reducing RvR grind, introducing leaderboards.

Lastly, almost every problem in the game right now would be solved by more players who understand what they are getting into. The open market is dead, but that can be fixed by pop. "Good" RvR moves from server to server and faction to faction, but that can be fixed by pop. And there is still a ganking problem... which can be fixed by pop. The genre is weird - I would have never played this game if it wasn't for a friend's recommendation, but having played it, I do think it is overlooked and that a lot of people would enjoy it. Heck, I even know some people who enjoy the PvE, and the econ is pretty good if that's your thing. Anyway, that's my 18 cents, thanks for listening, hope you add PotBS to your list.

We all got it coming, kid

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

Are you looking for a new game?
    Are you looking for something truly different?
    Are you looking for something that involves commitment and dedication?
    Are you looking for something that doesn't always give the easy way out?
    Are you willing to try something different?
    Are you willing to try a game that's been obscured and has very few players just for the sake of playing something different?
    If you answered yes to more than one, or all, of these questions, look no further, I have some suggestions that you might like.

Rise: The Vieneo Province (rise.unistellar.com) - a game that most would compare to EvE, but more sandbox-like and more complex. It's essentially a driving and flight sim, but at the same time a sandbox MMO. It's been dubbed an MMOSIM and has a 100,000,000 km world. You can stay to flying suborbital or leave the atmosphere and visit one of three space stations or even other planets if you so dare. You have the whole world at your disposal. You can buy land and create mines, farms or even develop urban regions. In each city, not only is there a player-run economy, but there are citizens whose happiness is affected by the economy.

I tried this game as well and it didn't run for more than a minute before I ran into game breaking issues.

Originally posted by Jothmein

I tried this game as well and it didn't run for more than a minute before I ran into game breaking issues.

Not sure what's going on there, tbh...oh well. *shrugs*

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

Not sure what's going on there, tbh...oh well. *shrugs*

Just wanted to throw out how quick you are on the replies!

This is my bookmarked list. I have been anxiously looking at craft of gods and I am going to be trying out LOVE later today. I originally put try out LOVE tonight but I felt it sounded dirty hahaa

Just wanted to throw out how quick you are on the replies!

This is my bookmarked list. I have been anxiously looking at craft of gods and I am going to be trying out LOVE later today. I originally put try out LOVE tonight but I felt it sounded dirty hahaa

Lol, only when I'm on. I need to get around to adding PotBS to the list still. I finally did play it so I can vouch that it's actually pretty underrated and the balance is definitely there in some form or another.

Craft of Gods has hit a rut from what I see. They ended CB2 at the end of '09 and have yet to really release any useful information since. Let's hope they're on their final stretch to OB! =D

As far as LOVE goes, definitely try it out. It's a wonder how the one guy did so well. I can't really describe it any better than the summary, I feel. You have to play it to know what it's like and it's an experience to remember.

Actually, you're in luck, just double-checked the CoG site:

"The first wave of Open Beta will be held from February 18th till Sunday 21th and the level cap will be 10."

So I think you have your way to play =D

I guess I need to remember to update the descrip on the 17th, huh?

• SleakerSleaker Member UncommonPosts: 11

Mount & Blade should be removed, it does not have sustainable MMO qualities, it is primarily a Singleplayer game and from what I've seen there really isn't any multiplayer support.

Originally posted by Sleaker

Mount & Blade should be removed, it does not have sustainable MMO qualities, it is primarily a Singleplayer game and from what I've seen there really isn't any multiplayer support.

Warband is coming soon and as I recall, it's put under "other multiplayer online games" or something of the sort and not MMOs. 

I do see your argument, though, my friend.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Until the Warband expansion hits that provides a reported 64 player deathmatch mode.  I'm personally hoping there is a cooperative style campaign you can play online, not sure if that will be in or not.

• SleakerSleaker Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Angorim

Until the Warband expansion hits that provides a reported 64 player deathmatch mode.  I'm personally hoping there is a cooperative style campaign you can play online, not sure if that will be in or not.

The list doesn't include games like Neverwinter, or Freespace Freelancer, which have much more solid MMO qualities so I didn't see why it would include M&B.