Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J.D. Salinger has died at the age of 91

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Probably one of the greatest writers that ever lived.

This makes me sad because of how much I loved "Catcher in the Rye", but at the same time, It makes me hopeful they will go through his cabin and publish some new works by him. It was said that he still wrote all the time, so I'm hopeful.

Comments

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Yes, apparently he did continue writing after he dropped out of the spotlight.  But the question is...are the writings any good?  The speculation ranges from brilliant to bland.  It's not even certain though that the works will ever be published.  He may have requested that they never see the light of day, and it would be up to his heirs to decide whether or not the honor that request.

story

Interesting trivia:  James Earl Jones' character in Field of Dreams was based on J.D. Salinger

• modjoe86modjoe86 Member UncommonPosts: 4,083
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,244

Why do they always die so young?

• ImAsianImAsian Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Why do they always die so young?

91 is pretty old bro.

The Catcher in Rye was a really good book.

Currently Playing: MW2, Jade Dynasty, Civ 4, Perfect World Int

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118
    Originally posted by modjoe86

Holden Caulfield is the original emo.  I celebrated this guy's death.  What a shitty novel.

A-fucking-men. I hated that book with a passion. Hundreds of pages of bitching in a single, shitty cover.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Hrmm to quote my grandpa, why regret the flaws of others, when you can make joy in the connections. The Catcher in the Rye was a beautiful reflection though to my grandfather of what not to be. So we all read it, learned and relfected on its flaws.