Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And I thought it was safe to go back: WOW compromised

I receivee a letter from Blizzard about my account being suspended due to possible compromised 2 1/2 weeks ago. They indicated that the account was being investigated as they had evidence of the compromise. I must admit that I was somewhat offended as I have had the game since it hit the selves years ago, I never installed or used any addons whatsoever. Stright account game...nothing more. I remember thinking to myself that they better have some strong evidence regarding my account.so I send off an email addressing the issue.

Today I recieve an email reporting that the investigation showed no gold or items were taken:

[Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department and for

bringing this matter to our attention.

We have reviewed our logs of your account, and we were able to determine the

following:

No gold was removed

No items have been deleted, sold, traded

No unauthorized character transfers

No profession changes

Guild banks associated with your characters are intact

Fortunately, it appears as though your account has been unharmed.

For further information please check our Restoration Policy located at

(http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20457)

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance for

your understanding.]

I think cool, about time, ok lets restore and get back into game. So I go to their restore site and get this message (We are sorry, but we couldn't find any results matching your search term or the article you have tried to view is currently not available.) HMMM, ok we go to FAQ and try the link, you'll never guess what message I recieved...same one. Ok, anohter hour on the site trying to figure out how to get restored to game. Nothing.

Ok, lets try the game, maybe they did their thing with my account. At logon I get a message to merge with battlenet...again. Ok, no big, merge it right?...figure the odds. I go to merge the game with battlenet and yet another discovery. Battlenet reports my game already merged. HMMM, surely you jest, how can I merge a game that is already merged by the other party??? So I go to send an email blizzard about the deal I am facing and recieve a reply saying something to the effect, "We are looking into your problem and will get back to you as soon as we can"...figure the odds.

Am I unique or are there others expereincing this...dellima?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Check the emails you received. 

Hover over the links and see where they lead to see if there were fake emails that point to some goofy website.

Did you click on those links?

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Those are fake emails. Looks like you will have to call blizzard.

Make it so...

• seabeasterseabeaster Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Hover over the links and see where they lead to see if there were fake emails that point to some goofy website.

I clicked on the email link and got nothing, went to WOW site and when I clicked the restoration link got the same message. Went to FAQ and tryed to get  to resoration from there...get the same message.

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by seabeaster

I clicked on the email link and got nothing, went to WOW site and when I clicked the restoration link got the same message. Went to FAQ and tryed to get  to resoration from there...get the same message.

Bleh...then you have most likely been a victim of a hackers email attempt to phish your account info. They are probably gaining access to your account as we speak. I would be calling Blizzard as soon as possible to lock down your account.

Trully sorry, man  =(

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

LOL

you should have just deleted the email and filed a ticket on their website directly

now you have to scan for malware and viruses and change your password

• seabeasterseabeaster Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by disownation

Bleh...then you have most likely been a victim of a hackers email attempt to phish your account info. They are probably gaining access to your account as we speak. I would be calling Blizzard as soon as possible to lock down your account.

Trully sorry, man  =(

TY, yea gona give em a call however, the only emails I have gotten have been replys to my questoins. Bleh, well see

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Always always, right click the link and look at the properties.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Today I recieve an email ....  So I go to their ... site ...they did their thing with my account.

I just cut the OPs post down to the important stuff. Don't click on links in mails, don't believe stuff you read in the internet.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• phc_docphc_doc Member Posts: 132

Just adding a note to the above in agreement. 

Once you started getting knocked around on the site without any results, that would be a red flag too.  The site was likely a pixel-perfect copy where you inadvertantly gave them your login info.  Once you hit enter it just makes go around in circles.

Look carefully at the links, it probably is something like worldkfwarcraft.com (notice the k instead of the o, this is an actual hack site, do not go there).

Call Blizzard, early morning during weekdays are easiest to get through.  Make sure you remember your security question answer from all those years ago, it is one of the only things they will have to be able to verify it is really your account you are calling about.  Once verified, it is pretty easy to regain control of your account.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Changing the password on your email address right now might not be a bad idea either.  After you scan for malware.