Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best DOTA game out there currently?

dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Since I'm in a MMO rut, I am interested in knowing what you think the best multiplayer battle arena online game is in your opinion?  They are not all free to play so I am very interested in a little knowledge you may have.

The 4 DOTA games I've heard of are:

DOTA : Played it quite a bit, just wanting something new for a change.

League of Legends: FTP, so playing it atm and its quite fun and somewhat new twists.

Heros of Newerth: I haven't tried this, but I am prone to the harsher graphics and such.

Demigod: I know virtually nothing about this game other than some random posters here and there.

So what game do you like the best?  Pros and cons of the games you've tried?  Anything you feel like saying would be grateful.  

Still the same,

Deuce

Comments

• maacaaviityymaacaaviityy Member UncommonPosts: 127

Heroes of Newerth is the best of all you mentioned, by far. Heroes of Newerth makes League of Legends look like a joke.

Heroes of Newerth is basically DotA, but with some of the old heroes and newer more interesting heroes, match making systems, persistent stats, dedicated servers etc. It's pretty much DotA v2.

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

HoN  is more "HARDCORE YA LOOK AT ME I PWN AT ESPORTS". LoL is more, yo lets play and have a good time but win. they both revolve around competetion but LoL is more laid back and noob friendly.

that being said, HoN is more DoTA like than LoL, but in that same regard why not just go play dota if you wanna do the same old stuff. LoL has new things that make it more like a real game instead of just some bad clone with makeup.

• theNILVtheNILV Member UncommonPosts: 49

HoN is just dota copypaste and its very unbalanced.

Proud member of best EU roleplaying guild
    Twitter - @theNILV
    Twitch - @theNILV
  • end0rphineend0rphine Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by jackman1118

HoN  is more "HARDCORE YA LOOK AT ME I PWN AT ESPORTS". LoL is more, yo lets play and have a good time but win. they both revolve around competetion but LoL is more laid back and noob friendly.
    that being said, HoN is more DoTA like than LoL, but in that same regard why not just go play dota if you wanna do the same old stuff. LoL has new things that make it more like a real game instead of just some bad clone with makeup.

Precisely what I thought as well. The game just does not bring enough to the table to be able to justify me even playing it. People also compliment the graphics, yet I just can't seem to find anything to compliment it on, its almost like a hindrance. New heroes are essentially the reworking of various old heroes, combining namely their spells/skills and dubbing it a new name. Items are essentially the same, just dubbed new names (funnily enough, there's a mod on their forums that renames the items to correspond to the old items in DotA). Lastly, I have to pay for it. SMD

LoL: New gameplay, completely revamped. Familiar and laid back graphics, similar to the WC3 engine. Customizing your own hero with various other skills. INT HEROES THAT FRIGGIN SCALE !!!!!! That's epic win in my books.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Appreciate the responses.

I am just getting decent in LoL atm, so I guess I'll stick to that considering the reviews you all have mentioned in regards to HoN.  Maybe one day I'll give it a go when the magic wears off on LoL.

Still the same,

Deuce

• seraphddseraphdd Member Posts: 22

newbies enjoy Lol, non rehabs with out downs like hon.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by seraphdd

^QFT, pretty much.

HoN isn't even released yet and its already included in some tournaments with cash prizes. A few dota tournaments even switched to HoN.

• Little11Little11 Member Posts: 51

Feels like its only a bunch of kids (<15y or ppl with HEAVY brain damage) playing HoN trying to compete and show how good they are. And people actually takes time in game to write and make sure that everyone knows how good/bad that player is.

LoL might not have much better players but its more mature and chill people playing it (I bet at least 4 players hit the bong before playing like me in every game :)

Well overall both games are good, but LoL is more fun seeing how I've been playing dota for a year and its nice with something slightly different.. If I wanted to play dota I would play it and not a ripoff game that copied 80% of the whole game from it.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Hon is the best you mentioned.  Find some good people and make a mini clan.

Great fun.

-------------------------

• 2slow4flo2slow4flo Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Little11

Feels like its only a bunch of kids (<15y or ppl with HEAVY brain damage) playing HoN trying to compete and show how good they are. And people actually takes time in game to write and make sure that everyone knows how good/bad that player is.

LoL might not have much better players but its more mature and chill people playing it (I bet at least 4 players hit the bong before playing like me in every game :)

Well overall both games are good, but LoL is more fun seeing how I've been playing dota for a year and its nice with something slightly different.. If I wanted to play dota I would play it and not a ripoff game that copied 80% of the whole game from it.

You should really (and even if it makes me look like a kid) have a cup of stfu :/ .

I play HoN and I enjoy it totally. I tried playing lol but things don't seem right when you can't even deny your own creeps. Where's the skill? You pickup some runes theres a shop, everybody who uses a lot of time can get advantages. In HoN I play 1-2 matches a day and I'm fine and on par with everyone else.

HoN is also the first game with replays which are compatible with any version of the game and can be downloaded through the game or web. You got a totally free camera while viewing replays and you can adjust the speed frmo 1/8 x to 8 x speed.

I still think that mostly "newer" players are going to play LoL and the hardcore community of DotA will switch to HoN.

I just don't see any deep skill in LoL, maybe because I didn't really test it. In HoN theres wards, counter warding, doing kongor for an item that ressurects you instant once, stacking ancient creeps for massive cash, juking, teleporting, jungling etc...

LoL doesn't fit my style of being competetive and comparing your stats, your (kill+assists) to death ratio etc...

But if you enjoy LoL go ahead! But the hardcore players who seek for a competition will probably prefer HoN.

So I kinda think the same way seraphdd thinks but I just make my point in a different way.

And of course HoN copied things from DotA, but they have their own engine and can add things which are not possible in WC3 (stat tracking, certain spells/heroes, auto matchmaking etc...)

You should really try to to look over the rim of a tea cup and see what makes HoN different from DotA and why some of us enjoy HoN more than LoL.

(english is not my native language)

Greetz,

Flo

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Both have crappy communities....

but LoL is a better game to just hop on and have a good time.  The HoN kiddies take the game too seriously, afraid to diminish their chances to win 100 bucks at some tournament.

• LamerLLamerL Member UncommonPosts: 8

Poster 2 posts above exemplifies what someone else mentioned earlier.

The advance/more hardcore dota players who are still not sick of dota yet will like HoN more. While the others will probably enjoy LoL more as its less 'skill based' considering how people think denying creeps is a 'skill'.

But yeah, i like LoL because its a breath of fresh air, tired of seeing the same heroes all over again in Dota and LoL has some skills that are really 'new' in the sense that you havent really seen them being done before. Also, the summoner/champion system is quite refreshing, as it adds customization to your champions. And i agree with a poster earlier who said that Int Heroes that scale are awesome, it makes them more useful in the end game instead of what you see in dota. :)

Just wondering if RiotGames are gonna add new spells to the summoner tables in the future.. too few right now imo. 

The problem with those games are not entirely the communities, it's the way you play the game.

You get bunched up with 5-9 other players and play with them for a maximum of 1,5 hours (can't think of a game that lasted longer, don't know about LoL though).

You won't most likely see anyone of that game the next time you play, so most of the gamers just write what they think in an extremely annoying / flaming way.

The problem I see in HoN, where I play games with people on a very good rating and check everyones stats ingame to get very good games going, is that you can't give anyone any advice. They all think they are the best and their way is the only true way.

Instead they should thank you for trying to improve their gameplay, but they just won't.

Here's an article about MMO communities from good to average to worst..

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-12-07/20091207052507443.shtml

• KomahKomah Member UncommonPosts: 32

The long and short of it is:

Heroes of Newerth (HoN)

- Extremely Competitive

- Can be difficult to get into at first but worthwhile in the long run

- Not as newbie-friendly as LoL

- Strong blend of solo-play and team-play in matches, teamwork not 100% required (But recommended) to win

- Strong Player Skill-Oriented mechanics

In other words, more competitive than casual

League of Legends (LoL)

- Competitive (But not nearly as much as HoN)

- Very easy to get into, newbie friendly practice mode

- Heavily focused upon team play, going solo is rarely a good idea (Especially later on), team play is very well done designed, though

- Strong Player Skill-Oriented mechanics, but not quite as many as HoN (Such as denying your own minions)

In other words, more casual than competitive

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

There is another DOTA game out ther as well...

Cant remember the name. Search for MOBA in google.

Anyway, I play both LoL and HoN. HoN is more of a DotA replica with a new direction. Its probally the best balanced of them all(unless you play EM).

LoL is more laid back. More relaxed gameplay and peeps tend to rage less. Also LoL is different enough to give you a change of pace. But if you are good at DotA you will destroy in LoL until you gain a few levels.

Dunno about DemiGod. I heard its not all that spectacular.

As far as a lack of denies in LoL, meh. The gold gain from creep is like 1/3 of DotA and 1/2 the exp. Hero kills are 2x gold of DotA. LoL encourages ganks and hero kills far more and lvl 1 First Bloods happen more often.

HoN is meant to be DotA v2.

Take your pick. I play both. More LoL than HoN since matches tend to end faster. 20-30 min games over HoNs 30-50 min games.

Originally posted by NightCloak

Are you talking about avalon heroes?

Originally posted by 2slow4flo

Bloodline Champions

http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/

http://mobagamers.com/

I hate the acronym MOBA, but this website called themselves that.

Bloodline Champions

http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/

http://mobagamers.com/

I hate the acronym MOBA, but this website called themselves that.

Yea totally forgot about that one, I signed up for the beta like 8 months ago but didn't hear anything.

This game kinda combines HoN fast matchmaking and WoW Arena without any leveling + fps elements (you need to aim skills).

It looks quite interesting but they won't let me into their beta :o

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Try Heroes of Newerth.

Never played LoL so can't really comment on it, never felt the need to as HoN is currently decent enough for me (I'm not really a hardcore FPS/RTS/Dota player), though I am quite biased against F2P games.

Originally posted by EricDanie

Try Heroes of Newerth.
    Never played LoL so can't really comment on it, never felt the need to as HoN is currently decent enough for me (I'm not really a hardcore FPS/RTS/Dota player), though I am quite biased against F2P games.

The community is okay, but there's so much flame and hate because of the great anonymity you have on those games (much like in counter strike).

In mmorpgs (like wow) you got a certain reputation on your server and if you do bad things like ninja looting you can be totally screwed on that server and no one will ever do anything with you again. So people think before they do stupid things or use bad words.

In HoN / Fps games they don't because if they want, they can just join another server or another game.

Originally posted by EricDanie

Try Heroes of Newerth.

The community is okay, but there's so much flame and hate because of the great anonymity you have on those games (much like in counter strike).

In mmorpgs (like wow) you got a certain reputation on your server and if you do bad things like ninja looting you can be totally screwed on that server and no one will ever do anything with you again. So people think before they do stupid things or use bad words.

In HoN / Fps games they don't because if they want, they can just join another server or another game.

I once quoted a Forum Admin on the HoN forums:

System requirements: Flameproof suit.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I play LoL  HON never really got me excited  i LOVED DOTA i really did and still go on once in a while...

LoL is free..the shop has nothing to add to game except runes which power your champs...which you can ONLY buy with IN game money known as IP (which you earn from playing not paying money)  real money is only used to unlock champs (which you can also unlock with IP) The only thing you have to buy with real money is skins...which add nothing ,are not required and only count at collector pieces. 

HoN is not that fun  store is poorly set up (yes worse then DOTA)   now if they change this around then yes it will be a solid game  other then that.. gameplay is meh

Originally posted by needalife214

I play LoL  HON never really got me excited  i LOVED DOTA i really did and still go on once in a while...

LoL is free..the shop has nothing to add to game except runes which power your champs...which you can ONLY buy with IN game money known as IP (which you earn from playing not paying money)  real money is only used to unlock champs (which you can also unlock with IP) The only thing you have to buy with real money is skins...which add nothing ,are not required and only count at collector pieces. 

HoN is not that fun  store is poorly set up (yes worse then DOTA)   now if they change this around then yes it will be a solid game  other then that.. gameplay is meh

The store is actually MUCH improved in HoN. You can buy from anywhere by just pressing ONE button you get all items and recipes sorted in different categories like:

Initiation (Boots bracers and some more stuff)

Protective

Supportive

Morph attack (attack modifiers)

Relics

Weapons

Combative

etc..

Theres even a recommended tab which gives you nearly all items you could need on your hero!

Saying that HoN's shop is worse than DotA's means you didn't take your time to get known to it.

As I first played DotA I didn't even know that you could combine items, in HoN you click on a recipe and you see the items you need and can buy them by clicking at that recipe, without going to any other shop..

Your comment was just totally wrong.

/edit:

You don't even need to deselect your hero or look at a secifig area to buy items.

Thanks anyways for trying to contribute to this discussion (failed).

• KomahKomah Member UncommonPosts: 32

You're acting as a wonderful representative for the HoN community, 2slow4flo.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

From just posts here, it looks as though LoL would be something to try and play when you want something to do.  It seems HoN will have people laugh, whine, and yell at you for not knowing how to do everything in the game before you start playing it.

I tried a few games of it, and everytime people were bitching at me for learning how to play.  My bad!

Demigod suffered from what? 90,000 people of the 150,000 accounts to be pirated.  It felt too....I'm not even sure of a good word for it.