Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cities XL End of the Planet offer

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

and another one bites the dust!

was sort of a MMO maybe a RPG too well a sim but close enough anyways another one dies...

End of the Planet offer

January 26, 2010, 10:37 am

Dear Mayors,

First of all we want to thank you for your support since Cities XL was released in October of last year, and as far back as October 2007 for some of you.

In early 2007 we decided to be those who would make a new offer to City Builder games fans. Right from the start Cities XL has always been an innovative project regarding its online dimension. Of course, trying something new always comes with a risk.

Three months after the launch we have to admit that the subscription rate is lower than what we expected and therefore the Planet Offer is no longer sustainable. Not enough players decided to subscribe.

Therefore, it is with deep regret that we decided to put an end to the Planet Offer on March 8th 2010. It will no longer be possible to subscribe to the game starting Monday February 1st 2010.

Nevertheless the Cities XL adventure goes on! Cities XL will evolve into a fully single player game. As soon as march the Bus will be added for free in the solo game. At the same time we also keep on working on new content and new features to keep on improving Cities XL.

We do realize that some of you were real fans of the Planet Offer, and loved to be able to visit other player’s cities and trade tokens between each other. There are simply not enough of us.

Thank you again for your understanding and support.

For more detailed information, you can read the FAQ here.

- The Monte Cristo team

SNIP

Comments

• xeochangexeochange Member Posts: 13

Well, can't say much except they tried but failed.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Would've tried this if everything I ever saw/heard about it pointed to it being a bad city-builder game.  Even the name is sort of off.  It even came out during one of my phases of really being interested in a building sort of game, but it was just that bad looking that it didn't seem worth it.

I guess it always comes down to: if you want to sell copies, make a fun game first then worry about being an MMO.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Would've tried this if everything I ever saw/heard about it pointed to it being a bad city-builder game.  Even the name is sort of off.  It even came out during one of my phases of really being interested in a building sort of game, but it was just that bad looking that it didn't seem worth it.
    I guess it always comes down to: if you want to sell copies, make a fun game first then worry about being an MMO.

Actually people quite liked the single player part of the game, it wasn't perfect but quite fun. The problem lied in the MMO part which as a beta tester myself threw many ideas and warnings towards them to improve it but they literally never listened and did what they thought was good and here we are today. This game and crimecraft had a lot of potential but stubborn devs screwed them up.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

The game was good but needed a lot of work and they did nothing no updates its was almost like they bought the code or the coder or coders quit and no one knew how to fix anything.

SNIP

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

I got this one when it was on sale super cheap.

I enjoy it as a single player city builder, not the best, but it's a decent one.

Tried the "planet" thing and it felt exactly like the single player version with chat. The online thing didn't "do it" for me so I just play it offline.

Sorry to see the planet stuff end, some folks like that kind of  thing. Nice to see them making it a full single player game though.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I tried the beta and it was the most boring experience i had in city building games.