Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

...why is this game so high rated...not that great

vixen2vixen2 Member Posts: 76

I don't understand why this game has such a high rating, I didn't find it that great.  It's turn based which is old and time consuming, the graphics aren't that great, the quests aren't innovative, and it's item mall based which generally sucks more money out of players than a p2p game.  Some fanboys must be pumping this score up, or devs from the company, because this game is yuck.

Comments

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

its certainly not regulars at this site all voting this a top game, that is for sure.

The game has a nice start, but the combat does get old rather fast.  Think they have an item mall that auto fights battles, along with a quest/npc auto movement system.  The fact that they need this speaks volumes.

On top of that, if you plan on collecting mercenaries (new classes open up as you progress) expect to delete old, leveled mercenaries or pay monthly for extra merc storage.

The usual item mall tricks ect.

Oh a super fun stamina system that removes xp gained from pve fights, once it drains...its drains from pve fighting. lots of ways to get more stamina, but still...

7 is a more accurate rating for this game.  Has a solid niche crowd who like the oldschool rushed strategy of selecting what teamate attacks what enemy.

Is pvp still where if your main character dies you lose regardless of how many mercenaries are alive? 

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Well players have their own preference of the game, and if it's not good for you  well not for the others, I played this game for 1 yea now, for me in this game earning in game money is very easy... unlike other games, imagine its a f2p and this game can compete to the p2p games out there also, for  my opinion in other games it's very hard to earn in game money just by grinding.. In AO there's a lot of activity in game that you can do to survive in your journey like Arena betting, Fishing,Crafting doing Free league and a lot more, if you want to grind you can earn millions of gold in 3 hours unlike other games you will be forced to buy in gold selling sites because it's really hard to earn money in the game...  what I like most of this game is the gameplay and pvp... still this is my opinion.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

apart from the fanboys/marketers/developers that may/may not be ramping up the score. the game just may not be 'bad enough' for ppl to post many negative ratings or be bothered to amend their positive ones they gave after 5mins in the game

after all the same thing can be said for the likes of lotro

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Atlantica is a decent game, it's the way the item mall in it operates that hurts the game, every single facet of convenience requires you to spend money & that get's old fast.

I loved the combat system & the stragies that are inherant with it, it's quite compex without being overly taxing, however the game gets grindsome, by 60 I had gotten sick of doing the same old shit for the umpteenth time, the quests are repeated ad infinitum & the story is very thinly stretched, the game really could have been made more fun had they condensed it into 50 levels & had added a hell of a lot more variety to the quests.

I'd rate it a 7 myself, it scores high for MMO originality in it's combat, but it takes a big hit in the boredom stakes, the fun is short lived & the only real enjoyment long term is if you are keen on PvP, which is decent but not for everyone.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

I actually liked the turn-based feature. Hack and slash games are too boring. The graphics aren't that great but not that ugly either. For the item mall, I have mixed emotions on this, It's to costly but it's great that all item mall items can be bought in-game. Before i malled the licenses but now just playing around 2-3 hours a day, I can purchase it through in-game gold.

I agree the rating is very high. Personally i just think its a 7-8 max. but that's just me.

Originally posted by Skuz

Atlantica is a decent game, it's the way the item mall in it operates that hurts the game, every single facet of convenience requires you to spend money & that get's old fast.

I loved the combat system & the stragies that are inherant with it, it's quite compex without being overly taxing, however the game gets grindsome, by 60 I had gotten sick of doing the same old shit for the umpteenth time, the quests are repeated ad infinitum & the story is very thinly stretched, the game really could have been made more fun had they condensed it into 50 levels & had added a hell of a lot more variety to the quests.
    I'd rate it a 7 myself, it scores high for MMO originality in it's combat, but it takes a big hit in the boredom stakes, the fun is short lived & the only real enjoyment long term is if you are keen on PvP, which is decent but not for everyone.

Yeah I agree to this,    And for me it's 9... but for me it's not pure grinding because there's a lot of things to level up your character, even just by joining Free league you can earn exp books... and come to think of it it's very easy to earn money in the game unlike other games.. the drop rate of gold is very low....  :)

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

You slag it for being turn based, but that's basically the whole appeal of it.

I mean, what, 95% of MMORPGs use the same combat system. Whee. People want something different. This is one of the few different things.

Graphics do stink, and the item mall is a ripoff (even as item malls go, it's probably the worst of the lot). But there aren't any other turn based alternatives.

It also has a ton of quests, probably more than any other F2P game, and more than some (LOTRO, for instance).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• rubulator2krubulator2k Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Karahandras

apart from the fanboys/marketers/developers that may/may not be ramping up the score. the game just may not be 'bad enough' for ppl to post many negative ratings or be bothered to amend their positive ones they gave after 5mins in the game
    after all the same thing can be said for the likes of lotro

Good point on LOTRO... I've played alot of ORPG's... and I figured ok I'll play some of the top rated games here... I assumed this is a site for the genre, so a polling of like minded folks cant be that far off...

LOTRO is a good game... but most of the rating is obviosly from the franchise name... same for Star trek Online...which now is falling fast... I look at the screenies for this game and the graphics are not so much... in fact thier WoWish, and I didnt care for that one either... I'm first interested in how a game looks... im gonna be staring at it for hours... it needs to be art, but not to drab... not to flashy... then game mechanics... then story...

And I'm totaly against item mall games... they feel scammy

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

yeah all item malls for f2p games are kinda like that. But for gameplay I like AO. I just hope they make more changes especially in the item mall department.

With regards to item mall, still it's a players choice if they want to buy in the item mall.. That's why I prefer to do FL to earn money and just grind in the game so I can buy the items in game also... :)

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

Its pretty certain that the score is a good 1 point higher than it should be due to the company making fake accounts here.

This was obvious especially when it was first released - there would always some really hyper fake sounding posts from new members stating how great the game was and they probably still pop in now and again to hype the interest...

• bimekbimek Member Posts: 6

99% of the games in the list have the same playstyle... play one char, attack, use some skills, loot and go to the next

Atlantica has a total unique combat system and that makes it so outstanding !.

I vote it a 9/10 , cause the tactic-based battles are great and for me as HoMM player ... you know what i mean.

The game has a couple downsides... landscape graphic, sound and such, but the battles are so much fun, its worth it  !

regards

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267

Final Fantasy and other JRPG have fans all over the world and this game is like that. Plus it's free.

If I had more time I would play it more. I liked it! And I'm not a fake account here....

Played:
    From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I genuinly think the game is good, the pvp especially is fantastic, very strategical.

There were just a few things which bogged me down and eventually saw me trying other games. But that was way back at release.. I see there is a lot more in the game now.

• TrumTrum Member Posts: 2

It seems to me that most of who post negative coments did not play the game, some post just give wrong info. Of course its matter of taste, but I personally think its a great game. I played it to 110+ lvls, got bored of grinding, but I still think that its a good game. The item mall is well balanced, you can buy all items from the item mall for the ingame money if you prefer to. Most of the items do not affect the gameplay, but one which costs 15$/month and can be considered as a subscription price. But again you can survive without it or buy it on the ingame market. The game got very deep strategic gameplay, especially at high levels.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

You can't deny this MMO is one-of-a-kind. How many other tactical FF or Fire Emblem style MMOs do you see around? Few, if any.

• HipnutHipnut Member Posts: 6

Just downloaded the client today.

Agree with a lot of the other posts I have seen about this. It's cartoony, it lacks polish, the sounds are probably going to be quickly grating... but it has a very different approach to combat, that in itself sets it apart from almost all other titles available out there at this time.

So I can understand that it gets high ratings given its originality.

The fact it's F2P means people can get the client and give it a try at no cost... it's difficult to go wrong with all that - not like some other current titles that will charge 60 bucks just to get the client :)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

This is one of the very few games I installed and uninstalled within 30 minutes.

I just could NOT get into the turn-based combat. Now I suppose if you like RTS games and are used to that sort of gameplay, it might be different, but for me....like with Wizard 101...the turn-based thing....that just doesn't cut it for me personally.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• redjohn22redjohn22 Member Posts: 11

I will admit I love(d) this game even after I had a problem with some GMs.  However for allt he great hype it gets lately there is no way many of these are real accounts.  This game will crash and give you BSOD no matter what type comp you have as of late and NDOORS is not even trying to resolve it........well the FMs say they are but the GMs will tell you you need a new graphic card.  It's sad and that's the best way to put it.  Nearly 3 weeks is long enough to fix a prob or at least admit 100% there is one, no credibility within this company at all.

• dhrddmdhrddm Member Posts: 65

"Originally posted by redjohn22

This game will crash and give you BSOD no matter what type comp you have... "

I have a Barton 2500+ (old Athlon type CPU), 1 GB RAM, 6600GT graphics card and i can say this game never crashed to me, unless i did something i should do (running many highly demanding aplications toghether with the game). My pc was mid range in 2005, now it's a very low end pc...

Come on... Give me a break!

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

What makes me love this game is actually it's turn base, and you can controll 9 character instead of 1.

Which is very different from other mmorpg.  Which is just a clone of each other.

• UnrealdjUnrealdj Member Posts: 24

The reason this game is top rated is simple, its NOT a clone, and the "idea" of it is great.

In order to seperate this game from other MMO's is simply to rate it max, which does justify the rating.

All of these other "clone" games have ratings in the 7's and 8's, mostly from people who can barely run a psx emulator on their pc. Those games don't deserve 7's and 8's either, filled with bugs, and big one, again, CLONES. Cloning games is ok to a certain limit.

However, in the past..........4 years? All we have been see'ing is clone after clone with NO unique MMO's, just devs trying to copy the "old" good thing and bank on it. Its all about the money.

NDOORS took a chance and made something new and different, it wasn't so much about the money.

So, while I agree it doesn't deserve a 9, it does NOT deserve to be in the same rating classes as other MMO's on this site that are clones. Therefor, the only way to signify atlantica as "above" the clones is to rate it well, cause it does at least deserve that much (not be in same ratings as the clones)

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Because more people played it, liked it, and rated it high.  That answer your question? or maybe did you just want everyone to know that "you" dont like it?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• UnrealdjUnrealdj Member Posts: 24

In addition to the above, I do like atlantica.

However, as so many people have stated it gets boring fast.

Around level 30 is where the repeatative (sp?) thing kicks in, most people will stop here, including my wife. Who enjoyed it at first but refuses to even look at the game now cause she doesn't see anything new and exciting in the games future.

If you happen to make it to the 40+'s where you start recruiting quests the game instantly got fun again, but...this also got old and didn't last. I got to about 70 before I became officially bored.

There are some things that would've eliminated that boring factor here.

1. Stop raising the level cap, its rendering old content pointless instead of building on it, and most people get bored before 70, which basically cuts off any effectivness of the patches that add things to level 70+.

A good stop WOULD have been between 70-80, although its too late now...... hopefully they stop where they are at.

2. Making mercenaries varied in levels to recruit in such a major level difference. Some level difference is nice and interesting, however by the time your 50... you should be able to recruit ALL the different mercs in the game. This gives players classes even more uniqueness, instead of see'ing a friend the same level as you with just about the EXACT same setup..... granted theres going to be little differences.... but more or less its the same. Of course this doesn't apply to levels 100+ but like I said, most people get bored before 70 with the game.

3. There could be tons more content that requires you to be with 2 other people in the party. The summon npc party thing is nice for the dungeon bosses if no one is around, but the most fun I've had when playing is when I actually was doing events I couldn't do without other people.

4. Put level restrictions on certain boss fights, or events in general. I.E. you get leveld down for the boss fight so you can't solo it.

This keeps the quest fun even when repeating it cause its constantly a challenge. And you constantly have a need to play with others, or if you really want it bad enough you can summon an npc party by spending a moderately hurting ammount of gil at the Auction house.

5. The item mall..... I have NO problems with certain things being on the mall as long as they can be obtained with effort in game as well.

My grip about the mall in this case may be unusual. They sell packages that to ME are key to having fun in the game. Without the packages to see health, warp to cities fast from anywhere etc should not be something you need to pay for. Waiting around for someone for 50 minutes at the bottom of the dungeon cause they can't warp there but you can kind of negates the purpose of having the package. And having a cannoneer in party just to see enemy health isn't something I wanted to do, and eventually lead to me quiting the game. I would have been fine with buying the packages, but if everyone doesn't have it you party with you might as well not get it, and I can't stand NOT having it........ The license packs shouldn't be something charged for, cause it hurts paying customers as well.

I would have dropped a ton of money on the mall in other items....IF the package was free full time. But instead I quit when the 30 days free package promo ended cause I couldnt stand playing without it, and couldn't stand if I did have it others did not and I had to wait forever and HAD to have cannoneer in party to see enemy HP......

6. If they had stopped at 70-80 people would have perhaps endured a few boring levels in order to get to endgame events.

And in the events they could put gears that you can ONLY get by part taking in. Not by getting in the item mall.

If I had the mall my way, I would sell a one time permanent license to "Gain Access" to certain endgame events. That would not grant me gear, I would need to win the event and get lucky on the drop or gain points from the event for winning and when I got enough could buy the item from an NPC (so you dont have to argue who gets the item with friends you did the event with)

Maybe if they plan on making atlantica 2.... these are somethings they could consider.

The potential for this game is so great, the community is awesome, but as it is they keep failing on they're patches... not fixing current issues and making that boring factor even worse then it has been by extending level increases.

If they had offically cut the level cap at 70-80 ... and made it so all current mercs were obtainable in the 50's (and rebalanced them so one is extremly overpowered over the other)....... they could've focused on content for within the levels, and perhaps we currently would NOT have so much of a boring stretch in xp grinding........ But again... instead of building on top of what they have, they're "adding" content to levels 75% of starting players aren't wishing to reach, cause even then..... is there really many endgame events that wont be rendered useless later? Useless cause they keep raising the damn cap!

P.S. The community is indeed great, I think ONE person out of my 500 600 pvp matches had a "WOW" mouth on them for losing(or winning in someones case).

/end rant

• CelebiCelebi Member Posts: 53

Actually I don't get bored with the game because of it's pvp system which is unique like others say... And you can rarely see this kind of pvp nowadays... unlike other mmo clones...