Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm not going to say it but ....

Is STO doomed to failure simply through lack of planning ????

So all these games are hosted in Internet POP's or Datacentres - yeah ?

So while I can understand the Beta being limited or having connection problems through lack of connectivity as the Dev company needs to fund this themselves.

If you are ready to go .......

Then there should be no problems with the prelaunch / head start as all of us have pre-orderedf the game so you should know how many are going to connect ???  (And this should be backed up by the problems hihglighted in the Beta being swamped???)

In the headstart there should be  ZERO problems with connectivity as you would have loaded up space in preperation for retail off the shelf purchases ???

I'm sorry - I just don't get it ???

Comments

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

The title of your post contradicts itself, that isn't a good way to get me to respect your opinion.

1 question mark is enough.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Breezeycouk

So while I can understand the Beta being limited or having connection problems through lack of connectivity as the Dev company needs to fund this themselves.
    Then there should be no problems with the prelaunch / head start as all of us have pre-orderedf the game so you should know how many are going to connect ???  (And this should be backed up by the problems hihglighted in the Beta being swamped???)
    In the headstart there should be  ZERO problems with connectivity as you would have loaded up space in preperation for retail off the shelf purchases ???

Welcome to an mmo launch this happens with practically every game. Headstart is mostly just to see how the main servers are gonna hold for when the main populations starts playing on the launch date.

• ApophissApophiss Member Posts: 2

Regardless of how a company plans for Betas, Headstarts and Retail release, there will always, always be problems. No game has ever launched with good connectivity. The last game I was in the headstart for, Aion, was terrible to say the least. Before that, Runes of Magic,  and that was alright, but it was F2P and had a low pop from a long Beta.

Regardless, all games have issues so if you're going to be there from day One, be prepared to have a lot of patience.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Is this your first MMO Breezeycouk???

It's the same old song and dance with every MMO. Maybe someday it will change, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• nWoLonewulfnWoLonewulf Member UncommonPosts: 28

I cannot believe how many people I hear defending this, it is wholey unacceptable, and Crytpic should be ashamed of themselves for this kind of release date content garbage. I have been involved in many mmo's and the BETA's and never been a part of one so shoddy since Champions Online which was also Crytpic.

Damar: I'd like to toss that smug little Vorta out the nearest airlock. And his Founder with him.

Gul Dukat: [laughs] Now, now, Damar, that's no way to talk about our valued allies. Not until this war is over, anyway.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by nWoLonewulf

I cannot believe how many people I hear defending this, it is wholey unacceptable, and Crytpic should be ashamed of themselves for this kind of release date content garbage. I have been involved in many mmo's and the BETA's and never been a part of one so shoddy since Champions Online which was also Crytpic.

*Shrug* unacceptable to you obviously but as we all know this is one of those things that is subjective and it obviously isn't bothering many others (as you yourself pointed out) and I think with good reason, even this post doesn't do a very good job of pointing out what they supposedly did wrong this time.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

*Shrug* unacceptable to you obviously but as we all know this is one of those things that is subjective and it obviously isn't bothering many others (as you yourself pointed out) and I think with good reason, even this post doesn't do a very good job of pointing out what they supposedly did wrong this time.

If you believe it isn't bothering many others maybe you should check the official STO forums, 50% of the current threads are exactly that Cryptic yet again releases a half finished game.

Damar: I'd like to toss that smug little Vorta out the nearest airlock. And his Founder with him.

Gul Dukat: [laughs] Now, now, Damar, that's no way to talk about our valued allies. Not until this war is over, anyway.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Who was defending it? What they are saying is it is normal, and happens with every release. The fun hasn't even started yet, that will be Tuesday when the actual game launches, think it's bad now?

If you're saying no other game besides Cryptic's games have these issues you've simply not played other games at launch. The only game I know of that didn't have issues at launch to a large degree would be LOTOR.

I've been watching mmo releases since SWG, that game had one of the worst launches I've seen, didn't even work at all on launch day. WOW had severe issues with authentication and server over crowding, not to mention queues that lasted hours. Aion same story, AOC had crashes left and right same with WAR. I could go on and on here, but what's the point? Anyone who's been around for a few years knows all of this stuff.

There is no one defending it, they're saying if you didn't expect it you need to come down off cloud nine, as everyone else was expecting issues.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

STO is being played on one server. New tech which is having the usual settling in problems. We are still seeing a few problems with rubberbanding. The log-in system is also showing errors. Cryptic has patched almost every day from the start of open beta. A great deal of improvement is visible from the open beta.

The lifetime subs could not access the borg main avatar at start. This seems to be fixed.

All in all Cryptic appears to be busting their humps. None of the issues I've encountered have been a game buster for me. If others have busted, good luck with whatever game you land in.

Originally posted by Malickie

Who was defending it? What they are saying is it is normal, and happens with every release. The fun hasn't even started yet, that will be Tuesday when the actual game launches, think it's bad now?

If you're saying no other game besides Cryptic's games have these issues you've simply not played other games at launch. The only game I know of that didn't have issues at launch to a large degree would be LOTOR.

I've been watching mmo releases since SWG, that game had one of the worst launches I've seen, didn't even work at all on launch day. WOW had severe issues with authentication and server over crowding, not to mention queues that lasted hours. Aion same story, AOC had crashes left and right same with WAR. I could go on and on here, but what's the point? Anyone who's been around for a few years knows all of this stuff.

There is no one defending it, they're saying if you didn't expect it you need to come down off cloud nine, as everyone else was expecting issues.

I am a game programmer for a different company, I have also Alpha and Beta tested games going back to the 90's, so yeah I guess I haven't played anygames at launch, what I am saying is that Cryptic should know better if for anything because of what happened to Champions Online. Yes there have been games at launch that have been iffy but none near the caliber of Cryptic's launches, they release games half-completed. Yes I know how can you release an MMO finished, but you know exactly what I am saying here, and if you don't I will be happy to post again if you disagree.

I am a game programmer for a different company, I have also Alpha and Beta tested games going back to the 90's, so yeah I guess I haven't played anygames at launch, what I am saying is that Cryptic should know better if for anything because of what happened to Champions Online. Yes there have been games at launch that have been iffy but none near the caliber of Cryptic's launches, they release games half-completed. Yes I know how can you release an MMO finished, but you know exactly what I am saying here, and if you don't I will be happy to post again if you disagree.

Again that's what everyone says about every game at launch, I'm not saying you're wrong about STO being incomplete, I'm saying it's the same reaction at just about every launch. As for worst launch in history popular opinion would be AO (anarchy online).

That's why I am saying no one is defending it, people are just simply used to it. If you're a designer then of course you are going to see things others do not. That's the difference between an educated opinion and that of one who is simply a consumer (like me). We don't know why it doesn't work we just know it doesn't work.

Maybe from a designers stand point something in cryptic's work stands out as just plain bad, I wouldn't see that in the same way you would. It would appear as a flaw like any other to the untrained eye, now wouldn't?

From your perspective it should be much easier to see why people accept things as they are, it's all they ever get, no one seems to be working hard inside these studios to see they get something better. I just hope for our sake (gamers) some company does just that.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Bullshit!

LOTRO had no such issues at launch!

Hell... even Age of Conan didn't had any such issues at launch. The headstart week was flawless (except that some guilds and people exploited their way to 80 within 2 days lol. But that's a different matter).

Just 2 examples.

They had plenty of time during Open Beta to tune their server hardware and expand it in preperation of Launch. And this isn't even "retail" launch yet.

They could exactly predict how many people pre-ordered and how many people would connect.

And it's not just the login server anymore. As their whole server cluster is constantly crashing, as it appearently cannot cope with the amount of players.

Maybe they should stop trying to copy CCP with their single shard server idea, and just put up different shards. As they clearly are not capable of handling enough concurrent connections to one single shard.

I gave this game a month, before most would quit.  But I think I was wrong afterall. If this continues until Tuesday when even more people login and then friday even more.

Then I think most people will not even bother picking up their retail boxes at the end of the week.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

A programmer for another company. Enough said.

Again that's what everyone says about every game at launch, I'm not saying you're wrong about STO being incomplete, I'm saying it's the same reaction at just about every launch. As for worst launch in history popular opinion would be AO (anarchy online).

That's why I am saying no one is defending it, people are just simply used to it. If you're a designer then of course you are going to see things others do not. That's the difference between an educated opinion and that of one who is simply a consumer (like me). We don't know why it doesn't work we just know it doesn't work.

Maybe from a designers stand point something in cryptic's work stands out as just plain bad, I wouldn't see that in the same way you would. It would appear as a flaw like any other to the untrained eye, now wouldn't?

From your perspective it should be much easier to see why people accept things as they are, it's all they ever get, no one seems to be working hard inside these studios to see they get something better. I just hope for our sake (gamers) some company does just that.

It is actually refreshing reading a post by someone who is a gamer, that can also see the big picture, thank you I have not quite yet lost faith in consumers and gamers.

Originally posted by weslubow

A programmer for another company. Enough said.

Not sure what that means exactly, or why that is enough said, but ok, have it your way dude.

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Hell... even Age of Conan didn't had any such issues at launch. The headstart week was flawless (except that some guilds and people exploited their way to 80 within 2 days lol. But that's a different matter).

Just 2 examples.

They had plenty of time during Open Beta to tune their server hardware and expand it in preperation of Launch. And this isn't even launch yet.

They could exactly predict how many people pre-ordered and how many people would connect.

And it's not just the login server anymore. As their whole server cluster is constantly crashing, as it appearently cannot cope with the amount of players.

Maybe they should stop trying to copy CCP with their single shard server idea, and just put up different shards. As they clearly are not capable of handling enough concurrent connections to one single shard.

I gave this game a month, before most would quit.  But I think I was wrong afterall. If this continues until Tuesday when even more people login and then friday even more.

Then I think most people will not even bother picking up their retail boxes at the end of the week.

AOC is viewed as one of the worst launches of the last few years, are you saying people weren't crashing left and right? I say this as a fan of that game by the way, it's the only MMO that has released in the last few years I like.

I said LOTOR didn't really have issues at launch, so what was that first sentence about ??

I think you completely misunderstood my post to be honest. In no way was I saying cryptic didn't screw up.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Just 2 examples.

They had plenty of time during Open Beta to tune their server hardware and expand it in preperation of Launch. And this isn't even launch yet.

AOC is viewed as one of the worst launches of the last few years, are you saying people weren't crashing left and right? I say this as a fan of that game by the way, it's the only MMO that has released in the last few years I like.

I said LOTOR didn't really have issues at launch, so what was that first sentence about ??

I think you completely misunderstood my post to be honest. In no way was I saying cryptic didn't screw up.

AOC servers stayed up and were running.  That a lot of people had CTD's due to client performance issues is completely different.

Both my gf's and mine computer have good hardware, so we hardly experienced any issues during launch. Just some CTD's now and then. WIch were worse a month later after a bad patch.

But the AOC servers itself were stable.

Cheers

AOC servers stayed up and were running.  That a lot of people had CTD's due to client performance issues is completely different.
    Both my gf's and mine computer have good hardware, so we hardly experienced any issues during launch. Just some CTD's now and then. WIch were worse a month later after a bad patch.
    Cheers

/Off topic, I really had no problems myself either, aside from the falling through terrain bug that needed a restart to remedy. I know lot's of people in our guild had a lot of problems though, which could have been more hardware related.

On topic

It's always possible half the negative posts you see regarding any game, are issues that boil down to a persons hardware. As I said in an earlier post (in different words), this can be confusing and/or frustrating to the untrained (none programmer) gamer who simply expects it to work, after all it says on the box it should.

Not saying this is the case with STO, though anything is possible when referring to posting's on the internet.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Disney Land was a nightmare when it first opened... Nothing worked.

• BreezeycoukBreezeycouk Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Brixon

Is this your first MMO Breezeycouk???
    It's the same old song and dance with every MMO. Maybe someday it will change, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hi

No - This is my fourth mainstream MMO (SWG, DDO & WoW) - But I have to say that this is my first on Beta - pre-release - offical launch.

I understand that there will be "snagging" problems and a load of "hot-fixes" but not to be able to log in when you know how many people have pre-ordered ??? - That is un-forgivable in my book

(BTW - I sell a software product for a living - and if one of my customers bought my software and we said  " Oh - Damn - you can't hook up all those feeds your were expecting cos we were'nt expecting you to wanna do it from day one" " then we woudl be out of a job and in court.)

Remember the 5 P's Proper Planing Prevents P***poor Performance....

• BreezeycoukBreezeycouk Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Silacoid

The title of your post contradicts itself, that isn't a good way to get me to respect your opinion.
    1 question mark is enough.

Pedant

Like I need your respect

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Yes I agree.

But then again you probably work for a respected software developer or company.

Hate to say it but people should not be that suprised.

• SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100

Just 2 examples.

Cheers

People were screaming mad about the AoC launch.  Funcom had just as much time to iron out the client issues as Cryptic has had to iron out server side issues.  Pointing to AoC as if to say it was somehow a successful mmo launch is somewhat of a joke.  Every mmo  release has had it's share of troubles.  The thing that I find most interesting here is that the criticism of Cryptic has centered more on server-side performance issues, rather than the game play issues that many people, including myself, have been critical of recently.

I loaded STO up on head start just to see if I could still get in with my beta, because I was bored, and curious to see some of the changes in the game.  If Cryptic had decided to keep two seperate codes for open beta and head start, then I would have been blocked.  That would have been a shame, since I found myself playing for several hours and genuinely enjoying the game, much to my own surprise.  I may actually buy this game now, where I had previously decided that it wasn't worth my time. 

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by SideTraKd

Just 2 examples.

Cheers

People were screaming mad about the AoC launch.  Funcom had just as much time to iron out the client issues as Cryptic has had to iron out server side issues.  Pointing to AoC as if to say it was somehow a successful mmo launch is somewhat of a joke.  Every mmo  release has had it's share of troubles.  The thing that I find most interesting here is that the criticism of Cryptic has centered more on server-side performance issues, rather than the game play issues that many people, including myself, have been critical of recently.

I loaded STO up on head start just to see if I could still get in with my beta, because I was bored, and curious to see some of the changes in the game.  If Cryptic had decided to keep two seperate codes for open beta and head start, then I would have been blocked.  That would have been a shame, since I found myself playing for several hours and genuinely enjoying the game, much to my own surprise.  I may actually buy this game now, where I had previously decided that it wasn't worth my time. 

While I don't disagree with the point of your post, I thought the poster was pretty clear that most of AOC's launch problems were not server problems, which is true.  Lot's of poeple (those with kick ass systems) were able to play what worked in AOC from launch with little to no problems besides the fact that the game was about as buggy as SWG at launch.  This is in defense of the poster more than FC or AOC as anyone who know's me on here know's I see no defense for them, but as far as Cryptic goes while I have been playing mmo's enough that this is in no way going to break me this is a bad mark for them, from reading the boards they had a downtime somewhere between 3-5 am for a game released less than twenty four hours earlier.

I hope not to have to get on Cryptic too much because my experience with them so far is somewhere between good and very good but they need to move away from problems with features/bonuses advertised to sell products.  It's looking like close to half of the head start time is going to be inaccessible to those who pre ordered (a bonus for the company not the consumer so much) and of course everyone should know about the whole Champions/STO beta fiasco.  I actually pre ordered too but only just installed it so again I wouldn't have been playing any earlier than the time of me writing this but I know there are some people out there not happy and let's face it the mmo community is not one you want to piss off no matter what.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Breezeycouk

I guess it's the difference between being an idealist and living in reality.  Nothing is perfect.  Not even you.