Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the C-Store all about?

Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

Hello all,

I do enjoy this game, but something is bothering me, and that is the C-Store. I am wondering if the C-Store is like other F2P MMO's in where you shop in-game to get something others dont have? So please expain to me what this C-Store is all about, because if it is like the F2P games then I will not Sub to STO. Please remember that I do love the game, and the community, but if there is a Micro-transaction mechanic, I am done!

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I guess you're done then, its a cash shop..supposedly fluff stuff but....

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Its sorta like The Sims 2 and 3. You can buy small components you like which arent needed for the game. Frankly I really enjoy the model because I dont feel compelled to get anything but I love the options. Far preferable to large expansions. IMO.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

I haven't even seen as much C-Shop activity in any subscription-based game than STO. You even have to buy Lifetime sub just to gain access to a race.

All I can say is that it's gonna get a lot worse soon, kinda like Champions Online. Cryptic will take care of the game for 4-6months, after that you're gonna be paying for regular content patches, named as expansions, bait and switched until announcement.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I honestly see it lasting a long longer then 4 to 6 . We will see.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Techleo

Yeah, many said that when Champions Online released. Now they're getting charged for filler content.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

when Champions Online released Cryptic said all items in the C-Store would be available in game. The reality is you have to kill 5000 of a certain mob to get that item in game...

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Beachcomber

when Champions Online released Cryptic said all items in the C-Store would be available in game. The reality is you have to kill 5000 of a certain mob to get that item in game...

Either that, or the item isn't avaiable in the game except through C-Store.

In CO we get a couple of new costume pieces when ever one of the big patches hit. While in the C-Store there's a new costume set released every week, which you can only get from there. Other then that the C-Store offers full Respecs (which can't be optained in any otherway, unless you've got alot of "gold" ingame, renaming, which is C-Store only, and the extra char-slots, again C-Store only, and extra costume slots for your chars. 

I feel really ripped of by Cryptic to say it mildly.

------------------------------

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

It's a given that the following are atleast going to be in the C-Store:

Respecs

Rare Ships

Extra Character Slots

Rare Crew Members

Rare Character Race Types

And in the future extra content areas and episodes.

Don't get it wrong but Cryptic is about making money for Atari. At the end of the day they are a small company working on three MMO's. People can say whatever they want but CO showed what is going to show up in the C-Store regardless what Cryptic says or doesn't say on the matter.

Whats sad is they could have easily went with a Store system like DDO and provided they game as F2P and then used the store to spice'n up the pot. And then those that subscribe to the game get access to everything and don't have to mess with the store. But atlas Cryptic is all about nickeling and dimeing you to death. Whatever way they can milk the most money out of you before tossing the game to the side and moving most of the dev team over to there next upcoming MMO. It's a rinse and repeat system where Atari bought Cryptic for a fast turn around on MMO's. As long as Atari can keep Cryptic pumping out a MMO every year they are going to be happy. They could care less about the long term support of the games, ageain shown by the treatment that CO is getting and that STO will get in 6-8 months when there next game releases.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Don't get it wrong but Cryptic is about making money for Atari. At the end of the day they are a small company working on three MMO's.

Isn't CoX property of Ncsoft? I heard they bought it from cryptic hench why no cash shop in it.

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Don't get it wrong but Cryptic is about making money for Atari. At the end of the day they are a small company working on three MMO's.

Isn't CoX property of Ncsoft? I heard they bought it from cryptic hench why no cash shop in it.

Yup, NCSoft bought the City of brand, along with the original dev-team (except for Jack, which.. tbh thank god he stayed behind).

NCSoft now have the Paragon dev-studio which is in charge of developing the City of games.

------------------------------

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by skinnys

Yup, NCSoft bought the City of brand, along with the original dev-team (except for Jack, which.. tbh thank god he stayed behind).

NCSoft now have the Paragon dev-studio which is in charge of developing the City of games.

Honestly I wouldn't think CoX would be still alive if it was still in cryptic hands unfortunatly...

CoX is not there third game I am talking about. For some time now Cryptic has been working on an unannounced third MMO. This was announced last year, I believe around the time they said STO was going into closed beta.

I wouldn't doubt it if a forth MMO is not in the works at this stage. Would explain why they are so fast in releasing unfinished games.

• eveque67eveque67 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Rawiz

Yeah, many said that when Champions Online released. Now they're getting charged for filler content.

I havent looked in the last 2 days but in CO a couple days ago, there were no charges for additional content.  Its filled with superfluous junk.  Cosmetic stuff that doesnt interest me at all is the majority of it.  There is however the respec purchase but that is not a necessity either.  They have made major modifications over and over and are willing to give out free ones to the players with the powers they have jacked up yet again.  In the games of the past - you didnt get respecs so even that they offer for a purchase is kinda nice.  There is also the extra character slots but tbh I think the original amount is way more than enough.

Now if your interested in costumes and action figures then it will be alluring.

Consolidation in the videogame industry continues today. Atari has announced that it has fully acquired Cryptic Studios, the developer behind City of Heroes and City of Villains that is currently at work on superhero MMOChampions OnlineStar Trek Online, and a third, unannounced game. The move is yet another in a series ofrecent moves by Atari to reestablish itself in the videogame industry. It was just a year ago that former CEO David Pierce resigned in the midst of major losses for the company.

Source -> www.1up.com/do/newsStory

Too bad we are more then likely not going to see CO and/or STO for the console anytime soon. Microsoft has all but put there foot down and said its not going to be happening.  These where major buying points for Atari when they bought up Cryptic. But you can't really blame Microsoft for not wanting a unfinished / barely supported game released on there console. This might be why they are letting CO fall to the way side.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

What is the C-Store all about?

Milking customers for every penny they can squeeze. It's deplorable.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Consolidation in the videogame industry continues today. Atari has announced that it has fully acquired Cryptic Studios, the developer behind City of Heroes and City of Villains that is currently at work on superhero MMOChampions OnlineStar Trek Online, and a third, unannounced game. The move is yet another in a series ofrecent moves by Atari to reestablish itself in the videogame industry. It was just a year ago that former CEO David Pierce resigned in the midst of major losses for the company.
    Source -> www.1up.com/do/newsStory

Too bad we are more then likely not going to see CO and/or STO for the console anytime soon. Microsoft has all but put there foot down and said its not going to be happening.  These where major buying points for Atari when they bought up Cryptic. But you can't really blame Microsoft for not wanting a unfinished / barely supported game released on there console. This might be why they are letting CO fall to the way side.

Well to be perfectly fair I heard sometime back that the only reason MS is standing in the way at this point is because they don't understand that people don't want to pay 2 subscription fees to play one MMO. They want to restrict access to Gold XBox live customers only and Cryptic wont agree to that nor should they. Unless MS backs down on this(not likely) we will probably not see any MMOs on the XBox live service.

As for the CStore I really don't have an issue with it as long as they keep it like the CO store. Nothing in the CO store is required to play the game so it is completely optional.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36

CoX is not there third game I am talking about. For some time now Cryptic has been working on an unannounced third MMO. This was announced last year, I believe around the time they said STO was going into closed beta.

I wouldn't doubt it if a forth MMO is not in the works at this stage. Would explain why they are so fast in releasing unfinished games.

According to Pc gamer, the unannounced game is Neverwinter night online, which is why Turbine is in a lawsuit against Atari over the Dungeon and Dragon licence.They can't officially announce it until this lawsuit is over (in march in theory), but the game could be coming in september... Another rushed game, I kinda see what they are doing here. I wonder what will be the next ip to ruin after nwn, maybe ghostbuster?

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Rawiz

I remember when CO released I said that it would last 1-2 months and most people would be 'finished'.  There simply wasn't enough content (or a sustainable endgame) to keep people.

One fanboi actually argued that the Character Creation was enough to keep him busy for 2-3 months alone!

(That's a lot of 'Barbie Dress-Ups' he was planning?)

By the Dev's admission this game has about 80 hours content to endgame.

I would give it 2-3 months at this point... but it is Star Trek... so I will give it 2-4 months.

At the two month mark start to watch the population 'move on'.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Elronir

According to Pc gamer, the unannounced game is Neverwinter night online, which is why Turbine is in a lawsuit against Atari over the Dungeon and Dragon licence.They can't officially announce it until this lawsuit is over (in march in theory), but the game could be coming in september... Another rushed game, I kinda see what they are doing here. I wonder what will be the next ip to ruin after nwn, maybe ghostbuster?

If Atari lose to Turbine then they will likely lose to Hasbro too (many of the same issues).

If that happens expect to see Atari selling assets and IPs they have been sitting on.  And money for development will dry up too.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Elronir

Who has the Harry Potter license? I could see Atari foaming at the mouth over the possible RMTs they could bleed out of that one.