Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Plagiarized Lineage 3

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by ProfRed

Not only do software companies own EVERYTHING done during work hours, on work property, and with work software, but many make you sign some very strict contracts.  The first company I wrote software for made me sign a contract that said I could not release any side projects while working with them, and a very popular one is a non compete agreement.  This basically states that if you leave the company you can not even get a job doing software that uses similar technologies for an amount of time.  This means if you are a graphics programmers working with directx on MMORPG's and you sign a non compete agreement you can't go work for another company doing the same thing. 

It costs a ton of money to have licenses to write this kind of code and use this kind of development.  Individuals can not afford it so companies must pay for it.  Anything done using this is the companies property, and rightfully so. 

Software is simply code, and having the code from a company could be everything they are.  Billions upon billions of dollars rest on chunks of code and it has to be protected.

so this means you mighrt have to go design  in opengl or opencl instead.ty for the info

• BaggunsBagguns Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Baggs

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Copyright never heard of it?
    Yes they did the coding but who told them on what lineage was going to be? they were making the code for that game they werent doing this code in their free time.
    They had no right on using it, all they could do was negiotiate which they didn't do so now they have to pay.

Have you seen any footage of Lineage 3?

There is nothing out there to compare the two games and go like "TERA is an L3 clone, they stole the SDK !"

I watched several TERA videos and i don't see anything screaming out loud "HEY THIS TEXTURE IS STOLEN FROM NCSOFT"

On top of that L3 was canceled.

Wanna take a wild guess why that might have happened?

Exactly.

NCsoft fired the people that were capable of making a cool game.

So copyright means jack shit now since they have been fired and L3 is not even an active project anymore.

Those developers are free to make whatever the fuck they want.

And they did.

And it looks awesome.

And what a coincidence, they very same people that fired them and canceled the L3 project are now hunting them down.

Stop being oblivious.

NCsoft is after the money because they saw the MMO community's interest to TERA.

Just because something isn't an active project doesn't mean that it isn't protected.

They are free to make whatever they want, just not what other people already own.

Mr. Bagguns

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Yes they did the coding but who told them on what lineage was going to be? they were making the code for that game they werent doing this code in their free time.
    They had no right on using it, all they could do was negiotiate which they didn't do so now they have to pay.

There is nothing out there to compare the two games and go like "TERA is an L3 clone, they stole the SDK !"

I watched several TERA videos and i don't see anything screaming out loud "HEY THIS TEXTURE IS STOLEN FROM NCSOFT"

Exactly.

So copyright means jack shit now since they have been fired and L3 is not even an active project anymore.

And they did.

And it looks awesome.

And what a coincidence, they very same people that fired them and canceled the L3 project are now hunting them down.

Stop being oblivious.

NCsoft is after the money because they saw the MMO community's interest to TERA.

Seriously? I say it again seriously?

The game was not finished hench no videos on lineage 3....

Even if it was canceled the product was produced to be an ncsoft game they have no rights on the code EVEN IF iT'S CANCELED.

Even for tabula rasa no company can do the game unless they buy the rights from ncsoft.

Did the creators of tera buy the rights from ncosft to use the codes that were produced under the copyright of ncsoft? NO...

Exactly.

And they did.

And it looks awesome.

Stop being oblivious.

Seriously? I say it again seriously?

The game was not finished hench no videos on lineage 3....

Even if it was canceled the product was produced to be an ncsoft game they have no rights on the code EVEN IF iT'S CANCELED.

Even for tabula rasa no company can do the game unless they buy the rights from ncsoft.

Did the creators of tera buy the rights from ncosft to use the codes that were produced under the copyright of ncsoft? NO...

if at least those guys had copied richard garriot and sued ncsoft.nope they just stole the code and thot they would get away with it .grin!i truelly wish korean court will give blue and those stealer a arch lesson

and korean court might put a harsher judgement at next rulling.i do hope so because right now ncsoft lost a lot

so far.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Yet another mmorpg to mark off the list due to lazy and/or unscrupulous developers.

• BaggunsBagguns Member Posts: 152

Thinking about it a bit more, we can't really know if the developers did it on purpose.
    Something along the lines of : "They fired us, lets make TERA an awesome game and they'll go after us in the end, buy our game and publish it"

Oh and to the guy trying to tell me that i would use the masterpiece for something else or whatever.
    There is no footage of L3, not even artwork.
    Again, NCsoft is into this for the money. Nothing else.

Do you really think that if TERA was shit they would give a fuck?
    Come on its not quantum physics.

Well of course it is about the money.  If you haven't noticed just about everything in this world that we live in is about money.  

Mr. Bagguns

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Thinking about it a bit more, we can't really know if the developers did it on purpose.
    Something along the lines of : "They fired us, lets make TERA an awesome game and they'll go after us in the end, buy our game and publish it"

Oh and to the guy trying to tell me that i would use the masterpiece for something else or whatever.

It's pretty clear that you are highly invested in being angry about this, but take a step back and look a little harder. This is a plagerization case. This case was tried in court and the developers were found guilty in both criminal and civil court. So, regardless of your perception of the issue, legal authorities have made the determination based on more evidence then you and I are seeing. You might not like it if you are a TERA fan, but it does not change the fact that the developers have broken applicable laws and been punished accordingly. 

Now, with that said, the write-up says they are appealing. If they win the appeal, then come back and say "I told you so" to everyone who disagrees with you. Right now though, you are speaking from a very uninformed standpoint regarding copyright and code ownership.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

nha its not about money!the truth is if any big mmo maker let something as obvious as this slide

they might as well close door,since any company could stell code and reduce 4 years of coding to 12 month

why do you think lot of company buy crysis engine(ubisoft)because the hard part is done already

take their newest crysis 3 or whaever its called it as all the feature needed for a brand new mmo

so the mmo make can focus on designing their game instead of building from scratch since we all know

not many code builder can make smooth engine,very often company buy the engine

why didnt blue buy an engine instead the truth is this was an occasion to big to miss.

they got caught now they should accept the penalty.

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

The number of delusional people in this thread who know nothing about coding or technology (lol at comparing graphic and telling it's totally different code) is terrible high.

Ofc i am angry.
    And no im not a die hard fan of TERA.

But come on, for me its so obvious.
    NCsoft didn't have the balls to release L3 and now they saw the appeal TERA has on former L2 players they rushed to "catch the thieves".
    I remember their story about the stolen L3 code a few years back but im pretty sure i remember that the ones leaking code were caught and punished back then.
    Then NCsoft fired one head developer if i remember correctly and then his whole team left with him.

Now NCsoft suddenly decides that more people were involved?
    Ya right.

Once again, if TERA didn't look as good as it does nobody would give a fuck about BlueHole studios.

edit : Hey smartass polish guy, i do know the difference between lines of code and textures, im not retarded. I was just giving an example about how NCsoft never released any footage or real info about L3. They only had a stupid blog-like website that was updated once per year or something.

This is not about how good TERA does or doesn't look. This is about whether their code is a plagerization of the L3 code which it was found to be. Think of it as being akin to possesion of stolen property. You might not have been the active thief, but you are still commiting a crime by using the property. 

And sure, if TERA looked extra crappy, then NCSoft would have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if it was worth pursueing. This is business. What has that got to do with whether the developers broke a law or not? Either way, they are still in the wrong.

-mklinic

who own lineage 3 ! ncsoft!nobody else!who own the code in there same ncsoft!they felt laughed at and slighed so they sued!

you have to remember ncsoft is from asia!aside from that i think ncosft do a good thing in suing blue and all the wrong doer in that case, to the full reach of the law!that will teach other game maker to act responsibly in the futur ,wich in my book is one thing that industry needed for a while!

one thing is sure!mr park isnt out of murky waters for a long while!with this judgement .mrpark was in a 2 year probation

so he will probably face civil court charge sooner rater then later (i would sue him if i was ncsoft)

add to that the fact he had probably signed a secrecy sheet when hired at ncsoft.and no mather how he turn he will be found guilty nomather what happen in the blue corner.(since thats another lawsuit entirelly even if its related.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by mklinic

It's pretty clear that you are highly invested in being angry about this, but take a step back and look a little harder. This is a plagerization case. This case was tried in court and the developers were found guilty in both criminal and civil court. So, regardless of your perception of the issue, legal authorities have made the determination based on more evidence then you and I are seeing. You might not like it if you are a TERA fan, but it does not change the fact that the developers have broken applicable laws and been punished accordingly. 

Now, with that said, the write-up says they are appealing. If they win the appeal, then come back and say "I told you so" to everyone who disagrees with you. Right now though, you are speaking from a very uninformed standpoint regarding copyright and code ownership.

+1

~Ripper

p.s.  I'm going to have to report you for making entirely too much sense...

• MotearMotear Member Posts: 18

This is not the end of TERA.  TERA is still releasing content as we speak, so to say 1.7 million will cripple the company it won't because they have millions invested.  

As for the plagorism case, this will hit TERA hard.  Will it recover?  Yes, but seriously you NCSOFT fanboys are just funny. 

We are talking Korea, the bigger company will always win.  I would much rather have Bluehole studios suceed NCSoft then say kudos to NCSoft...NCSoft themselves are a bunch of crooks and full of corruption.

Bad customer service

Player Account Thieves

Currency skimmer -Yes they take a profit from all the gold/item "legal" exchange companies.

The list goes on...

I really hope Bluehole studios appeals and wins, and if they don't well they will still have a fanbase they will just have to work harder.  They also have the dev/team base to create something fantastic! beings NCSOFT got fire-happy and fired the wrong people, its obvious a lot of people within NCSOFT were upset of how the busienss was being run.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

1.7 Million Won is really not alot...If it were 2 billion, than yes, but it's 1.7 MILLION, and BlueHole already has millions invested in the game as it is, not to mention they just reached a deal for like another 24 million dollars (American, I believe). To develop TERA just a couple of weeks ago. So I really doubt that this will be a "fatal" or even "wounding" blow to the the company or the game.

Based off what we do know, I believe this is justified as they did you know....STEAL...And not only did they steal, but they stole something of a significant expense to NCSoft. What I don't understand is why the heck this lawsuit happend NOW, instead of way back when it 1st was being developed. It almost looks as if NCsoft let them get this close to releasing the game in order to swoop down and take it. That way they would of had very minimal cost to launch a game developed almost entirely by someone else, and therefor would reap the benefits. Either way, this game is gonna be released, it's way too far into development and way too close to launch for it not to be. The beta's are well under way, and new content and changes are constantly being made to the game as we speak.

Originally posted by Motear

"We are talking Korea, the bigger company will always win. "
    "I really hope Bluehole studios appeals and wins"

Based on your first statement, why would you expect a different outcome? I mean, if the appeal takes place in Korea wouldn't the same rule you state apply? Seems like in that case, you wouldn't want the studio appealing as that would just cost them more money.

-mklinic

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Valentina

1.7 Million Won is really not alot...If it were 2 billion, than yes, but it's 1.7 MILLION, and BlueHole already has millions invested in the game as it is, not to mention they just reached a deal for like another 24 million dollars (American, I believe). To develop TERA just a couple of weeks ago. So I really doubt that this will be a "fatal" or even "wounding" blow to the the company or the game.
    Based off what we do know, I believe this is justified as they did you know....STEAL...And not only did they steal, but they stole something of a significant expense to NCSoft. What I don't understand is why the heck this lawsuit happend NOW, instead of way back when it 1st was being developed. It almost looks as if NCsoft let them get this close to releasing the game in order to swoop down and take it. That way they would of had very minimal cost to launch a game developed almost entirely by someone else, and therefor would reap the benefits. Either way, this game is gonna be released, it's way too far into development and way too close to launch for it not to be. The beta's are well under way, and new content and changes are constantly being made to the game as we speak.

Because it wouldn't be worth it, they didn't know that they would have gotten so many investments from other companies on tera.

Blizzard could sueue alganon for being a blalant copy but that game has barley any people in it so it's not worth the sueue on it, they would probably lose more money in putting the case then what they get from them.

As for tera I'll try it for sure if it releases because it looks good and will be hack and slash well hope there will be a pve server but nowadays they think pvp is the way to succeed (And we saw from the past how many pvp mmos were succesful)

i think the OP wrote 1.7 billion us$

so yes it is an exemplary fine to scare the billion of other thinking about doing same thing to other big company.

wich in my view is a good call from korean law!it shows they truelly care about this since they know korean is only starting

to have very good reputation because of its mmo economy,and no country like to be avoided for busyness because of people like the ex-employe of ncosft .true blue might not like korea judgement

but its a freaking huge market korea just cant afford to lose so i think that judgement will stand for the good of the majority.

(the rest of the industry)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Bagguns

NICE!  I thought... how could a country let someone blatantly steal a games source code and make a new game for profit with it.  Maybe NCSoft will buy up Tera and release it...

The thieves deserves everything coming to them.

Get your facts straight.

Those people who you call thieves were in fact FIRED from NCsoft.

Would you leave the code you put hard work for months if not years behind for someone to exploit and make millions of it?

No you wouldn't.

What i just read is simply outrageous, i will never buy anything published by NCsoft no matter how good it might look or in fact be.

You obviously don't know how the world works.  Those guys who got fired from NCsoft were PAID to develop that code, they never owned it therefore they had no right to use it.

You think that it is outrageous for criminals to be punished?

So lets assume you bought me 3 buckets of paint and payed me to paint you a masterpiece.

I finish the job, you don't like it and you fire me.

But hold on, i actually made several paintings with those colors you bought me.

Following your logic everything i made with those colors and money you payed me belongs to you.

Don't think so buddy.

You were displeased with my work and you fired me, so all that actually belongs to me, because its in fact my own intellectual property since i created them.

The real picture im getting from the articles is that someone at NCsoft is trying to take advantage of some people he obviously didnt get along with and fired them, but he hates them so much because they are better than him and now tries to further more destroy their lives.

Baggs, it doesn't work that way.

Any materials or "whatever" that a company purchases is the sole property of that company. I have never worked in a company where I didn't have to sign an agreement stating just that thing.

In your above example, anything that you created with the paints that the company purchased would be considered property of that company. To go one step further, you would never be allowed to use those paints for any private projects as those paints are the property of that company.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Valentina

It is 2 billion Wons, which equates to roughly 1.7 M USD:

"sum of 2 billion Wons...)"

~Ripper

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

i think the OP wrote 1.7 billion us$

No, he wrote 1.7 million:

1,721,836.820 USD

This is from the article and the article most likely included the extra decimal place because of the conversion tools.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

1000 =1k

10000=10k

100000=100k

1000000=1million

10000000=10m

100000000=100m

1000000000=1000m

1000 million=1 billion am i right here or this last line is incorrect?

so after the dot its all cent? why 3 digit lol.

sorry was wrong then not use to see 3 digit for the cent!

ty for precision by the way .

• MaxisDBMaxisDB Member UncommonPosts: 78

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008
    Originally posted by Bagguns

NICE!  I thought... how could a country let someone blatantly steal a games source code and make a new game for profit with it.  Maybe NCSoft will buy up Tera and release it...

The thieves deserves everything coming to them.

Get your facts straight.

Those people who you call thieves were in fact FIRED from NCsoft.

Would you leave the code you put hard work for months if not years behind for someone to exploit and make millions of it?

No you wouldn't.

What i just read is simply outrageous, i will never buy anything published by NCsoft no matter how good it might look or in fact be.

You obviously don't know how the world works.  Those guys who got fired from NCsoft were PAID to develop that code, they never owned it therefore they had no right to use it.

You think that it is outrageous for criminals to be punished?

What Bagguns said.

If  you are hired to write code...the code you are hired to write is not yours...no more than then the hamburgers  you make while working at Mcdonalds are yours.

I can assure you they signed a contract when they got hired re-affirming this fact.

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

1000 =1k
    10000=10k
    100000=100k
    1000000=1million
    10000000=10m
    100000000=100m
    1000000000=1000m
    1000 million=1 billion am i right here or this last line is incorrect?
    so after the dot its all cent? why 3 digit lol.
    sorry was wrong then not use to see 3 digit for the cent!
    ty for precision by the way .

you really need to look closer...  It was obviously a period/dot not a comma.