Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does it seem like DCUO has the same crappy graphics as Champions Online?

2»

Comments

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by zaylin

Originally posted by crapricot

Hard to believe a "wife and mother" would waste her time spewing crap on gaming forums. Don't you have something better to do?

A LOT of People into games these days ARE mothers or fathers, Heck we were playing video games when you were a twinkle in your  moms eye or still wearing diapears {in good humor}. and we do have have a right to recreation as well dilweed lol. and if you look closely OP nothing is set in stone atm, graphics for the most part are one of their worries but not the most important one FIRST all the time, game mechanics is what a GAME needs to get right first IMO. Its like making a car from scratch,sure you can put the frame on and all the doors and accessories first and than paint it, but its not going to run :). just how I see it .

Beautifully said. A good majority of the youth today don't have respect for their elders via either not knowing or caring.  Some are just plain stupid to the fact that we were once their age, just as they will eventually be the age we are today. That is if they don't kill themselves first in some violent act of stupidity. It simply amazes me.

Ah, ignorance is bliss!

Your fail comment, failed.

• coldfreedomcoldfreedom Member Posts: 132

champ graf look better than dc graf but gameplay i guessing goes to dc

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by MsBunny2u

Because of both games graphics... I wont be buying either. They look like shit. Comic book styling at 15 bucks a month is a waste of money. Prototype or Infamous can fill that void.
    Go ahead and flame me little boys, it doesnt change the fact that everyone would enjoy both games more if they had more impressive graphics like Age of Conan. (yes it is a shame AoC gameplay sux, but atleast the game looked good)

PS, as a wife and mother... I would rather play a great looking game that a game that looks like 1980s colorforms.

If you don't like comic book style: Why the hell are you looking towards a comic book game? By the way: Superman is a good guy. Are  you going to complain next about the exaggerated fighting or car lifting?

Obvious troll.

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

graphics look fine to me, that isn't what makes a game, gameplay and story far outweight graphics any day.  

I just wished Marvel Universe was going to be made instead of Champions Online.  But there is still hope... 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hard to believe a "wife and mother" would waste her time spewing crap on gaming forums. Don't you have something better to do?

Wow, from what macho assholia place did you come from? Are only men entitled to have opinions about games? Golden Banana award for macho trash of the year.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

WHY? BECAUSE THEY'RE BOTH BASED OFF THE COMIC BOOKS MORON ASS.

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

I'm gonna take a stab at the dark here and say, it might have something to do with wanting to look more like the comic books and cartoons of comic books...

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I tried to enjoy Champions, and am a fan of cell-shading, howerver in regards to CO, I finally got tired of the lack of detail in the backgrounds.  I don't think you can use an excuse for calling something cartoony when the true excuse is that they are trying to hide under the cell-shaded technologies.  The character detail is decent but the backgrounds lack detail, and I ended up finding the world/zones boring and not immersive.

This is not the fault of cell-shading technologies but more the fault of a poorly constructed art direction in regards to the backgrounds.  Seems like the backgrounds were rushed to hold so little detail, leaving the user with a generic, almost static feel.

Again I don't blame the cell-shading, and cite Borderland's cell-shading art is well defined, animated, and the backgrounds are rich.  I hope DCUO takes a page from the time and care that Borderlands has in the detail of their world/zones, and not take a page of an obvious rush job that the artists did for CO.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Jamkull

graphics look fine to me, that isn't what makes a game, gameplay and story far outweight graphics any day.  
    I just wished Marvel Universe was going to be made instead of Champions Online.  But there is still hope... 

Marvel Universe IS currently in the works:

www.gazillion.com/gargantuan/#/products

However, it is going to be a while before it sees the light of day, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Your fail comment, failed.

• PabswikkPabswikk Member Posts: 108

Before my MMO days, and back when I had my old Gamecube (Yes, yes, I had the Gamecube, not the PS2, boo me) I played a myriad of Superhero games. My favorite ones were always the Spiderman Series. I played Spiderman 1 which was....awful, but I just happy to play anything with Spiderman in it. Then I played Spiderman 2 which was quite awesome actually. Half decent graphics, free-roaming, good combat. It was a fun game. Fairly realistic graphics.

Finally came Ultimate Spiderman, and it has been the first, and I think best, game at capturing the feel of a Superhero game. This was done in no small part due to the cel-shaded graphics that were so much more unrealistic than the other superhero games out at the time. Cel-shaded graphics are the truest way to capture that feeling, and it also happens to be easier on the graphics engine.

Seriously, this reminds me of people who said Zelda: Wind Waker was awful because of the graphics, when I thought it was one of the best parts of the games. It's an insult to artistic direction.

• baguettebaguette Member Posts: 33

yes, because everyone knows having ovaries means you don't like to game, and everyone knows that mothers were never women before they had children. everyone also knows that mothers are mindless zombies that shut off after their children fall asleep in order to conserve their batteries...

maybe your mommy spends all her time coddling you, you little precious thing, but other mothers have things they enjoy doing just for themselves after kids go to bed.

• PabswikkPabswikk Member Posts: 108

Perhaps pointless belligerence makes you happy, but I don't think he was being sexist. Rather I think he was implying that a 'wife and mother' would present themselves in a more mature manner, as being a wife and mother implies you're an adult rather than a grumpy child.

I think you misconstrued his meaning. I don't think any sane person would argue a mother's right to enjoy themselves. However, your aggressive outburst does little to endear yourself to any other members. Perhaps thinking rationally for a second before speaking would prevent any other misunderstandings. Just a thought.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

well u can just turn off ceel shading in co so maybe u can in dc too

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• tyanyatyanya Member Posts: 199

Both games are attempting to capture the spirit of the comics....... although its notable that early comic artists were actually attempting a 'real visualisation' of the action, what we see here is an imitation of an interpretation with the style exagerated etc (if done wrong it tends to look more parody than celebration).

The look of the game is obviously an important factor to set the mood, but you really need to see the thing in motion and in context of the world to get a proper feel for the mood evoked...... The graphics of Champions Online improved considerably during the latter phases of beta (we don't know if DCUO is going to change) static screen shots don't really show that game at its best, in motion responding to lighting and other effects they are quite impressive .

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

Both games have their pros and cons, go with what you think is right :)

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Still have a sub to champions and honestly love the graphics for the most part. Helps to have the graphics at max of course.

I pray DCUO does well. I wish to play a super hero game but find cryptics attempt great in some areas and woefully lacking in others. It gets really tedious to have to play the same quests from beginning level to around late twenties before there is enough quest/mission diversity to not be bored. Yet after making and leveling 4 toons to mid 30's to 40(current max lvl) you have done the missions so many times it is very very repetitive. This is what I hope dcuo does not do. There has to be enough mission path variety or the game gets boring no matter how well done.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

it might be a good game, but if its cell shaded graphics i'll probably never find out, as its the one thing that turns me off of any game quicker than anything.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

How about because cell shaded graphics are in line with what it actually is.

Comic book in game form.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Because of both games graphics... I wont be buying either. They look like shit. Comic book styling at 15 bucks a month is a waste of money. Prototype or Infamous can fill that void.
    Go ahead and flame me little boys, it doesnt change the fact that everyone would enjoy both games more if they had more impressive graphics like Age of Conan. (yes it is a shame AoC gameplay sux, but atleast the game looked good)

PS, as a wife and mother... I would rather play a great looking game that a game that looks like 1980s colorforms.

Wear your "eye candy whore" badge proudly and thanks for being one ignorant person out of many that cause gullible developers to ruin games for those who really give a damn about gameplay over graphics.

• LexicaLexica Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

well u can just turn off ceel shading in co so maybe u can in dc too

Was just about to post this myself.

Makes the game look quite different. It was funny when people were moaning about this in CO in the general chat channels.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

of course there cartoon like graphics it's comic book mmo not suppose to look real. and companies make games that can run on most mid-range systems at launch. when mid-range graphics look like ps3 or xbox 360 then yes then we will start seeing those cool graphics in mmo's. if my computer could run age of conan i might have been paying customer but another one was lost because not EVERYONE can run it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

Wear your "eye candy whore" badge proudly and thanks for being one ignorant person out of many that cause gullible developers to ruin games for those who really give a damn about gameplay over graphics.

the MMO market is flooded with games, it takes more than just gameplay to make a game stand out from the rest, a game does have to look good as well, and cell shading, imo, is not good graphics, it doesnt matter if its 'because comics are like that' because apart from the comic enthusiasts who are probably a minority of online gamers anyway, they probably havent read a comic since they left school.. if then.. and wouldnt appreciate the 'style' in any case. so, my point is, lack of decent graphics will probably equal lack of large number of players. the competition, will appreciate the games graphics at least :D

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Phry

the MMO market is flooded with games, it takes more than just gameplay to make a game stand out from the rest, a game does have to look good as well, and cell shading, imo, is not good graphics, it doesnt matter if its 'because comics are like that' because apart from the comic enthusiasts who are probably a minority of online gamers anyway, they probably havent read a comic since they left school.. if then.. and wouldnt appreciate the 'style' in any case. so, my point is, lack of decent graphics will probably equal lack of large number of players. the competition, will appreciate the games graphics at least :D

This thread is getting necro'd more often than a lich with a safely stored phylactery....

Anyway, wanted to highlight  how you compounded not just 1 or 2 but 3 unsubstantiated assumptions about the people playing superhero-genre games to support your own distaste for that art style.