Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do i enable my Graphics card?

McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

Sent my PC in  to get fixed and the guy who made it added a new graphics card but the onboard grapics is the only one working atm, so how do i enable my Graphics card?

I'm using Win 7 for the first time too.

It's a custom Desktop gaming PC if that helps any.

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by McAvoy

Sent my PC in  to get fixed and the guy who made it added a new graphics card but the onboard grapics is the only one working atm, so how do i enable my Graphics card?

I'm using Win 7 for the first time too.
    It's a custom Desktop gaming PC if that helps any.

press delete key at restart and browse trough there till you see it  should have 3 setting onboard,pci and pcie depending on what you use (might have agp if you got a very old computer but i think you ll need to set it to pcie.

just check on the box or google your gcard number

make sure also to set you slot to proper power since bios have a tendency to go fairly low.(last part is no biggy tho,you can leave it like it is)

might have to press delete a bunch of time till you see the bios screen.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hi there, you are probably going to want to check the setting in the BIOS first.

Resart your PC and at start up before the windows logo appears it will tell you which button to press to get into in.

Such as f1, f11, f12 or the delete key (varies)

Once you are inside use the arrow keys to check the menu and look to disable onboard graphics. Every motherboard has a different bios and different settings.

You probably want to consult the motherboard manual if you have one or look it up on the net by model / make #

Remember if you think you screwed something up in the bios dont save and exit just exit.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Device Manager > Display Adapters > <new display card name> > Right click > Properties > Device Usage > Use this device(Enable)

That's for Window XP.  Vista and Win 7 may vary the steps you get to the Device Manager a bit.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

I restarted my PC to go to BIOS and it switched to my graphics card by itself. (yay!)

Thanks for the help all.

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger