Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fixing the game?!

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

While it would need an insane budget or too much time to fix the major flaws, like lack of seamless world or have the full game with voice over, thus creating an AoC 2.0, what do you think would help a lot the game?

I'll start:

• Fix the UI:
    • All key bindings remapable
    • Fully resizeable UI, in game
    • Auto switch tools bars when changing weapons
    • First / 3rd person view toogle
    • Redo the trade UI
    • Redo the chat functions
    • Full support the Xbox 360 controller
    • Open the UI API valves (c.f.: WoW)
  • Fix the graphics
    • Social clothing tab
    • Clothes dyes
    • Move the NPC dialogs to the black borders (too often unreadable) 
    • Fix the color palette: pink/violet hats, bright blue priest robes, etc...
    • Fix the poorly done textures: linen is one of them
    • Less triple E mammal implants on the female characters
  • Housing
    • Instanced houses and apartments in NPC cities
  • Transportation
    • Flying mounts
    • Multiplayer mounts
    • Pesonal runes of teleportation set to the player's choice location
  • PvP
    • Optional perma death ruleset server

Would you bite?

Comments

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

No perma death but full loot yes

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Full loot would be a mistake because of the zoned nature of the game and abundance of placed to be camped.

It works in Open World games because there is a lot of space to get lost in and ways to flee people. There's too much CC, not enough space, and nowhere to run but guards and then portal back to where you are bound. While people would be crafting their own gear for once, nobody would wear the good stuff, and I remember banks having quite limited space for that kind of thing.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Deewe

While it would need an insane budget or too much time to fix the major flaws, like lack of seamless world or have the full game with voice over, thus creating an AoC 2.0, what do you think would help a lot the game?

I'll start:

Fix the UI:

All key bindings remapable yes pls
    Fully resizeable UI, in game yes pls
    Auto switch tools bars when changing weapons yes pls, great idea btw
    First / 3rd person view toogle yes pls
    Redo the trade UI yes pls
    Redo the chat functions yes
    Full support the Xbox 360 controller not that important me guessing
    Open the UI API valves (c.f.: WoW) dont know this

Fix the graphics

Social clothing tab yes
    Clothes dyes yes
    Move the NPC dialogs to the black borders (too often unreadable)  no problem here
    Fix the color palette: pink/violet hats, bright blue priest robes, etc...   yes
    Fix the poorly done textures: linen is one of them cant remember how it looked
    Less triple E mammal implants on the female characters and when i use sliders i choose between ugly and uglier

Housing

Instanced houses and apartments in NPC cities too much work me guessing

Transportation

Flying mounts not viable me guessing
    Multiplayer mounts can be done i guess, but meh
    Pesonal runes of teleportation set to the player's choice location meh

PvP

Optional perma death ruleset server no more new servers!

Would you bite?

I need more vespene gas.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

I'll start:

Fix the UI:

All key bindings remapable
    Fully resizeable UI, in game
    Auto switch tools bars when changing weapons
    First / 3rd person view toogle
    Redo the trade UI
    Redo the chat functions
    Full support the Xbox 360 controller
    Open the UI API valves (c.f.: WoW)

Fix the graphics

Social clothing tab
    Clothes dyes
    Move the NPC dialogs to the black borders (too often unreadable) 
    Fix the color palette: pink/violet hats, bright blue priest robes, etc...
    Fix the poorly done textures: linen is one of them
    Less triple E mammal implants on the female characters

Housing

Instanced houses and apartments in NPC cities

Transportation

Flying mounts
    Multiplayer mounts
    Pesonal runes of teleportation set to the player's choice location

PvP

Optional perma death ruleset server

Would you bite?

You obviously havent worked with software development. 

Most of your issues are design elements where Funcom has made a consicious choice on how they want the game to run and feel. THESE ARE NOT THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED. Its simply your request for other features. 

One can argue that the design choises were wrong and that one should have done it one way or the other. Youre statements are like saying that "Aion should fix their weapons so they look more realistic. " you can like or dislike it. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

Trader interface redone fast please!

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

I'd go along with the autoswitching of toolbars when swapping weapons, but selfish ol' me wants 3 sets of weapons to be hot-swappable.

Dual-Wield

Two Hander

Ranged (bow)

Currently my barbarian can only switch the two sets, so there's always a set stuck in the inventory, and it's usually the set you want to use.

As for flying mounts...CM is already busting the lore with the incoming wolf and tiger mounts, but hopefully even he wouldn't consider introducing such a travesty.

Player 'apartments'....I fail to see what mileage there can be in such a move, a room in a tower for the Stygian lot maybe, and a room in a tower for the Aquilonian lot. Tents and furs for the Cimmerian lot, but to what end? We already have guild cities which offer most of the 'stuff' players need, including incoming taverns.

[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by seabeast

your seem to have all the knowledge of a good mmorpg why not make your own since it is obvious that the develpoers of AOC want to make a game that is not going to make players happy?  Old saying: those who talk the talk and those who...well you know

Maybe because I don't have $40+ millions to spend. Also maybe because AoC is a good game that has a huge potential

Originally posted by Aceundor 

You obviously havent worked with software development. 

Most of your issues are design elements where Funcom has made a consicious choice on how they want the game to run and feel. THESE ARE NOT THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED. Its simply your request for other features. 

One can argue that the design choises were wrong and that one should have done it one way or the other. Youre statements are like saying that "Aion should fix their weapons so they look more realistic. " you can like or dislike it. 

Just by reading my first sentence you would have guessed I have.

Saying the UI don't need to be fixed is nonsense; it takes about 5 minutes of game play to see the major flaws, of which I named only a few.

Originally posted by Darkjinxter

3 sets of weapons to be hot-swappable. That would be even better, great idea.

Dual-Wield

Two Hander

Ranged (bow)

As for flying mounts...CM is already busting the lore with the incoming wolf and tiger mounts, but hopefully even he wouldn't consider introducing such a travesty. Flying mounts would be fun but I can see how it could be for some players, it's far from mandatory thought, you are right

Player 'apartments'....I fail to see what mileage there can be in such a move, a room in a tower for the Stygian lot maybe, and a room in a tower for the Aquilonian lot. Tents and furs for the Cimmerian lot, but to what end? For example to display trophies. We already have guild cities which offer most of the 'stuff' players need, including incoming taverns. Well, just my opinion but players cities lost far away from NPC cities aren't a good way to implement them, but that's a design decision. Players apartments or instanced houses in NPC cities not only keeps everything neat but also keeps all players together making cities more alive

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I decided to try the trail yesterday and I found that the UI indeed could use an upgrade. True I am use to the UI in DDO atm so I maybe a bit partial. One big issue in the options for me was not knowing what graphics setting the game started me at.

I found that the current combat setup is a odd also. Is there a way to just swing your weapon without having to button mash?

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by almerel

I found that the current combat setup is a odd also. Is there a way to just swing your weapon without having to button mash?

You mean the 1,2,3, Q, E directional attacks? I don't think so. Although you can use the mouse to hit the appropriate icons.

Icons that I wish we could hide form being displayed on the screen as after a few minutes of game play we pretty much know which key does what attack.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Fix the UI:

Auto switch tools bars when changing weapons - would make sense
    First / 3rd person view toogle - personally can't play in 1st person but some (my son for 1 likes it)

Fix the graphics

Social clothing tab - Yes
    Clothes dyes - Yes
    Less triple E mammal implants on the female characters - That's how pulp fiction was back then.  If they want to stay close to REH Conan it goes with the  territory.

Housing

Instanced houses and apartments in NPC cities - No, was nice fluff in SWG but in the end served very little purpose.  Would rather the Dev's spent their time on real game issues.

Transportation - Will just lump these 3 in together.  Not Conan material.  Let's try to keep it close to lore.

Flying mounts
    Multiplayer mounts

and if we're wishing for the moon; I'd say a big one for your AoC 2.0 would be a different engine that wasn't such a resource / graphic hog to make it more accessible to the masses.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Originally posted by Nebless

Fix the graphics

Less triple E mammal implants on the female characters - That's how pulp fiction was back then.  If they want to stay close to REH Conan it goes with the  territory. (He he I read that! But when everything is big small becomes beautiful ;)

Housing

Instanced houses and apartments in NPC cities - No, was nice fluff in SWG but in the end served very little purpose.  Would rather the Dev's spent their time on real game issues. It was fun being able to display our throphies. And you are right, there are so many fixes to make that such features would goes a long way before seeing the light in Aoc

Transportation - Will just lump these 3 in together.  Not Conan material.  Let's try to keep it close to lore. I can understand your concern, it's more to make travel more handy

Flying mounts
    Multiplayer mounts

and if we're wishing for the moon; I'd say a big one for your AoC 2.0 would be a different engine that wasn't such a resource / graphic hog to make it more accessible to the masses.

Then you need to have much lower polygons per character meaning you'll have to redo all the meshes (3d models) and most of the textures. More or less re-creating all the animated graphics. That would be an insane job and not a worthy one as when you would have finished updating everything PCs would have evolved and the lowest one would be able to run your old engine smoothly.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Then you need to have much lower polygons per character meaning you'll have to redo all the meshes (3d models) and most of the textures. More or less re-creating all the animated graphics. That would be an insane job and not a worthy one as when you would have finished updating everything PCs would have evolved and the lowest one would be able to run your old engine smoothly.

I just find it interesting that a game like AoC vs say LotRO or DDO run so differently on the same computer.  Now I know the 'art style' is different, which I guess means the way the polygons are used, but where my system can run LotRO or DDO maxed out (except for fog, fog always lag's me out), it can barely handle AoC.  And from other posts it seems I'm not the only one to have that problem.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Originally posted by Nebless 
    I just find it interesting that a game like AoC vs say LotRO or DDO run so differently on the same computer.  Now I know the 'art style' is different, which I guess means the way the polygons are used, but where my system can run LotRO or DDO maxed out (except for fog, fog always lag's me out), it can barely handle AoC.  And from other posts it seems I'm not the only one to have that problem.

There could be many factors lowering the frame rate in AoC vs Turbine engine.

• One could be that AoC use much more poly per character.
    • The other could be the textures are bigger
    • Also the animations could be more complex
    • It could also be the server and the client are doing much more synchronization to make the combat more realistic
    • And the engine could be less efficient rendering everyting.

Top of that the CPU load for the servers and the clients could be more solicited by others calculations in AoC than LotRo.

And for the record, if I remember well LotRo is using UDP while AoC is using TCP/IP as network protocol and that has a big impact on synchronization too.