Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Error?

KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

So I was thinking of getting a new rig and this one seems like the best for the price, but it seem that it says the video memory is shared that can't be right can it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+with+Intel®+Core™+i7+Processor/9561146.p?id=1218124796858&skuId=9561146

Comments

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

wait broken link anyway heres the info an error

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor

Features a 1066MHz system bus, 8MB L2 cache and 2.66GHz processor speed.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Increases processor speed at peak times for power when you need it most.

9GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power, expandable to 24GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Also supports DVD-RAM.

1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 graphics

Features up to 896MB shared video memory. High-definition audio with 8-channel (7.1) support.

See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your desktop.

16-in-1 media reader

Supports Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard 4.0 and Reduced Size MultiMediaCard formats.

Also supports Reduced Size MultiMediaCard 4.0, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick Micro M2, miniSD, microSD and mini MultiMediaCard formats.

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port and 10 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps fast Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

For quick and easy wired Web connection.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

Software package included

With Adobe Acrobat Reader 8, Microsoft Works 9.0, Nero9 Essentials and more.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Is an error. Btw $1100 for that is a great price.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm i took

antec 300 70$(case)

asus m4a78t-e 150$(mobo)

kingston 1600ddr3os) ,4 gig 150(memory)

amd x2 550 be,115$(processor)can be oced safly to 4 gig without any mod(if you add cooling some have been cranked to 4.3 g

ati 5770 1 gig<205$(graphic card)

w7 64 bit 115$ i believe(os)

the missing part i salvage what i missed from my old computer.

so its around 800$if you add in powersuply new and hdd probably another 250

the advantage of building your self is this you get ton of extra part .

the computer you baught cant run dx11 wich is very important .

is amd any good cause all my previous machines were intel 

Wait is this better cause i heard 860>920 if your not gona overclock, but the video card is retarded it costs 1050

Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor

Features an 8MB cache and 2.8GHz processor speed.

The all new 2010 Intel® Core™ i7 processor

Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance.

8GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 graphics

Features 1GB dedicated video memory for lush images. 7.1-channel audio support.

See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your desktop.

Multiformat media reader

Supports Secure Digital, miniSD, microSD, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, RD MultiMediaCard Plus, MultiMediaCard Micro and Memory Stick formats.

Also supports Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick Micro, CompactFlash I, CompactFlash II, Smart Media, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive formats.

IEEE 1394 port and 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in Dell 1505 wireless LAN PCI-E card and 802.11n mini card (802.11b/g/n)

Connect to the Internet without wires.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN with 56 Kbps data/fax modem

For flexible wired Web connectivity options.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

Software package included

With Microsoft Works and more.

The 860 isn't better than the 920 it's just the same performance for cheaper. The CPU is cheaper, the mobo is cheaper, and you only need pairs of ram (ie 4GB or 8GB) instead of triples (3GB, 6GB, 9GB). But since that video card in the 860 system would have to be replaced for more than you're saving I wouldn't bother with it. Unless you wanted to get something faster than a GTX 260 anyway.

AMD is good if you need to keep the total computer cost at or below ~$900. Intel has no good offerings below $180 in the CPU market, and their mobos cost more too, so below a certain budget AMD is the only way to go, and above it Intel.

Also strictly for gaming the video card is more important than the CPU. In gaming, the 920 is going to waste paired up with a GTX 260. You'd get the same performance from a Phenom X4 925 paired up with that video card because the video isn't fast enough to require more out of the processor.

im not rich enough to go out and buy a card above 200 and that specific machine doesnt support SLI

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

x2 550 be fact:3.1ghz from fac.can be oc to 3.8 ghz without any physical mod.l3 of 6 mb,l2 of 1mb.l1 of 128 kb or so!

quad core locked to 2 core.i got this processor and i love it

x2 255 might be a better processor tho as dual core go since it was specificly made to be a dual core from the start

price is 115 $ for 550

or 80$ for a 255

since nothing is using all that processing power anyway i rarelly see very high usage of processor .so in my view if your not a

mmo provider amd is very good and ton cheaper

that being said if you are an mmo maker ,then i suggest intel ,direct cache access is truely an insanelly nice feature .

but for regular joe amd is as good as intel.

Originally posted by Kamayor
    im not rich enough to go out and buy a card above 200 and that specific machine doesnt support SLI

Yea I would just get that i7 920 + GTX 260 system, maybe even the refurbished one for $800. It's a good PC for a prebuilt, almost impossible to find a prebuilt that's perfectly balanced pricewise for gaming (ie, heavily invested in GPU, less in CPU, 4GB or 6GB of ram instead of 9GB or 12GB).

If nothing else you can sell the GTX260 sometime down the line to upgrade to a 5850 or a Fermi.

thanks for your input i think i'm gona get that machine unless anyone can find something better