Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New iPad - most worthless over priced tech ever released.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

So Apple releases the iPad.   It has no phone, no camera, no flash capabilities, and is basically an e-reader that can play movies, and music and surf the web.   Big deal, the iPhone does all that.   Why didn't they go ahead and incorperte all the tech that is crammed into an iPhone?   So they can sell you the new version of IPad in 2012 that is all the iPhone is.  That is why.   Apple is notorious for doing this.   Releasing little advances to their tech a little at a time...to keep the money coming in.

Cool thing is that the iPad will soon become a thing of the past and look archaic compared to what is just around the corner.    Microsoft and Google team up and produce Leo.   A full blown handheld computer that is also a phone, e-reader, watch movies in full 1080 HD on a retractable screen.   Wait and see.   :)  It'll look something like this, but a little bigger, like an IPhone with a smart screen so you can use it like a regular phone when the screen is retracted or use it for video chatting with the screen pulled out.    Touch screen and voice recognition software.  Thing makes anything we currently have look archaic. 

How do I know this?   I ain't telling.

Comments

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I don't like apple operating systems.

If I did get some kind of "pad" I'd want it to run windows.

But I don't see why I need a pad. Why not just get a laptop? 

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Screw apple... I don't own anything they've made and I don't plan on buying it either.  That whole "hippster" crowd can go choke on their nano's.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Ipad is just a better version of the e-book.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

The joke's on Apple because iPad is just really a larger iPhone...plus/minus some features.  Whether it's worthless or not, I'd say that depends on the price.  But since it's from Apple, you bet it'll be priced high....which, would make it worthless if it's priced higher than the existing ebooks out there.

While I'm not a fan of Apple's, I have to give them credit for at least trying to develop these everyday devices, and making them smaller and better.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I'll be getting one of these once China copies it and makes it run off windows 7. The concept is exactly what I need for use in my bedroom and kitchen. Gota love fakes though. They usually integrate the best parts of the systems with the best of the common tech.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by Teala 

How do I know this?   I ain't telling.

What a tease Teala 

I don't know how you could detract that screen, but I guess they could be developing something we haven't seen yet.  But one doubt raised by my co-worker is that Microsoft and Google are somewhat of arch enemies.  So seeing them work together on something is somewhat unbelievable at this time 

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

It's a really neat device, but only in the avenue of all the -basic- decisions about it being made correct. Kind of.

It's good that it's the iPhone OS sized up, rather than a Mac OS sized down.

It's good that it uses the app store. Bad that that's the -only- avenue for apps. Suppose it could've used some OS X blending there.

It's good that it's screen is at least 9 inches, otherwise it would've been a disadvantaged eReader.

It's good that it's battery life is multiple times that of some of the cheaper netbooks.

Essentially, a big ass iPhone is a good start without the phone part.

Now on to the assbackwardness...

No front or rear camera? I'd expect -both-; front because a lot of netbooks see this as a need, back because that's a 1st gen feature of the iPhone.

Adapters for SD and USB slots and ports? Really? This is an electronic device, meant to interface with other electronic devices, and there's a need for adapters for SD and USB?

No widescreen resolution options? There's 300-400 dollar netbooks now coming standard with 1366x768 resolutions. Not sure if the 9 inch screen size has anything to do with it, but it kind of hurts the iPad for me to be stuck at 4:3, 1024x768.

And...the six prices. Ok that's cool I guess. It seems obvious some people will want this for a home device, some people will want this for a mobile device. But that brings me to...

The 3G rate plans. Ok those are separate plans, right? AT&T is going to announce some kind of data bundling to be shared with iPhone, correct? Either that has to happen, or bluetooth tethering between the iPad and iPhone has to not only be developed, but officially supported. No crazy hacks like the Blackberry days before RIM supported such behavior between mobile devices and mobile computers.

Lastly, no multitasking. At least this is what everyone is speculating since only one app at a time was demo'd. I don't think this is true, if it is, it won't forever be the case unless there's some fault in the iPad that renders it unable to multitask.

All things considered, there's too many things missing or I feel is wrong for me to bother with this. This might've meant something 1 year ago, but in the world of Windows 7 tablets, netbooks and notebooks galore with Kindle available for PC, this comes in pretty undercooked.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Its not that hard to make a flexible screen with OLED.  Its a good concept for a device because it doesn't have to be a block like all the current smart phones.

On the iPad, there is 1 thing that instantly makes it junk.  It has an Apple A4 Processor.  Not an Intel, not a VIA, not an AMD, an Apple.  When it comes to the processing front effeciency and clock speed rule, Apple processors have niether.

Originally posted by Cleffy

Its not that hard to make a flexible screen with OLED.  Its a good concept for a device because it doesn't have to be a block like all the current smart phones.
    On the iPad, there is 1 thing that instantly makes it junk.  It has an Apple A4 Processor.  Not an Intel, not a VIA, not an AMD, an Apple.  When it comes to the processing front effeciency and clock speed rule, Apple processors have niether.

The processor choice is actually one of the better points. A month of standby and 10 hour in-use battery life with it.

Battery life is susceptible to skewing unless you are familiar with all the specs in the machine.  Most netbooks today are capable of over 10 hours battery life using a 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery.  They also usually come with a bigger screen, a 1.6Ghz efficient processor from Intel/AMD or an even longer lasting VIA processer, and the capability to play in HD.

There are alot of ifs with just stating the processor and battery life without knowing the rest of the components.  What level of HD were they playing at?  How many cells was the battery?  Is it using an SSD?  In a fuller picture, a 10 hour battery life playing HD for a small form factor laptop isn't anything special.  The problem is the price it comes at and the ability of the machine.  Assuming you are paying $150 for the IPS display panel, its still overpriced by mobile standards.

Battery life is susceptible to skewing unless you are familiar with all the specs in the machine.  Most netbooks today are capable of over 10 hours battery life using a 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery.  They also usually come with a bigger screen, a 1.6Ghz efficient processor from Intel/AMD or an even longer lasting VIA processer, and the capability to play in HD.
    There are alot of ifs with just stating the processor and battery life without knowing the rest of the components.  What level of HD were they playing at?  How many cells was the battery?  Is it using an SSD?  In a fuller picture, a 10 hour battery life playing HD for a small form factor laptop isn't anything special.  The problem is the price it comes at and the ability of the machine.  Assuming you are paying $150 for the IPS display panel, its still overpriced by mobile standards.

"Most netbooks"? I'd like to see even 1 in the iPad price range that advertises 10 hours of operational battery life. The iPad's 10 hour battery life was said to be with running HD video. No skewing there, it's just as simple as that. It's a merit of the processor.

As for bringing up what level of HD, the battery, the storage and etc., aren't those variable for -every- device? The only reason this would matter is if those variables were exclusively responsible for the 2-4x longer battery life of the iPad over typical netbooks and notebooks. They aren't.

Gotta give credit where credit is due with everything, and since the iPad was meant to be a closed device with no avenue of anything being on it except through the AppStore, an in-house design was the best choice for a processor and has garnered the device these these benefits of power efficiency.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Most things that are advertised that state a battery life use the most efficient setting of the device for maximum battery life. Apple would be no different. They will give the best picture of their iPad that they can. Doing so in this instance would preclude maximum graphics quality during the battery life test. 

Until a third party comes along and states otherwise I will believe that Apple's marketing division used the most efficient settings of the device for their backing of their statement of a maximum battery life.

But it's also not like I'm going to buy one of their doohickeys anyway.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

most people are looking at this device from their own perspective.  "why do I need one?" 

believe it or not, some people choose tablets over notebooks because of mobility above all other reasons.  There have been times when Ive had to take business trips where I would have loved to have had a tablet instead of a laptop.  The times when I was issued a tablet over a laptop I was able to use it much more frequently than I ever did my laptop.

this thing is going to be huge on college campuses, especially considering that apple is working with major college textbook publishers to make their textbooks available through apples proprietary itunes.  Also consider that the device is going to give college students instant access to the internet, youtube, facebook etc. in a small 1.5 pound device without booting, unpacking, unfolding and having the space available to do this in frequent compact places.  You might forget, desk space is valuable in a class room

anyone who thinks  this device is going to flop or has no merit is kidding themselves.  You just need to look at it from someone elses perspective.  This device doesnt offer anything to the 21 year old gamer geek or 45 year old gamer for that matter.  Its targetting travelling professionals and college students first and foremost.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

I disagree that the iPad is targeting any kind of professionals whatsoever. Professionals tend to...need productivity. iWorks and an optional keyboard dock isn't going to cut it.

It's entirely a leisure device. Being confined to the appstore and proprietary software kills anything 'professional' about it.

Of course its going to be popular though. Then again, maybe not. It could go the way of the Air, more hype than impact.

This device essentially gambles everything on Apple's ability to push their ass backwards, closed off way of doing things. Can't change the browser, can't add software to it outside of their approval process. For the good of mobile hardware and software alike, this device will fail. It's almost the antithesis of what ChromeOS will bring, and there's Microsoft in the middle but less evil than Apple.

Originally posted by sepher

I disagree that the iPad is targeting any kind of professionals whatsoever. Professionals tend to...need productivity. iWorks and an optional keyboard dock isn't going to cut it.

again, some people prefer tablets over laptops especially in the professional world.  Aside from productivity, as far as tablets go this thing is the cream of the crop.  Nothing on the tablet market has this much versitility

and ..I gotta say if you're purchasing this strictly for liesure you got more money than you know what to do wtih.  In that case, stick with a notebook because you'll get more out of it.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

I'd like to point out that the internet appears to hate everything about the iTampon, including its name.

Edit: Holy shit that's hilarious ^

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Here you go.

The problem I have with the claim is that its an advertising claim.  Its not like they are similar everyone else who touts their effecient processor and says the wattage on it.  Atom - 2W, VIA Nano - 5W, AMD Neo - 10W.  Thats kind of what you do when you have a good energy consumption processor.  Without it the only way to tell is by the computers surrounding peripherals and the benchmark they used for comparison.  It could be the procesor, or it could be the simple nature of the device.  It also tells nothing on how well it performs the tasks since there are no definitive numbers or testing of people outside of Apple's Marketing.

I think most people would prefer the ASUS Eee Tablet over this.  It has more functionality, a beefier processor and internal components, its cheaper, has a bigger display, and comes with half the advertised battery life.

Originally posted by grunty

Most things that are advertised that state a battery life use the most efficient setting of the device for maximum battery life. Apple would be no different. They will give the best picture of their iPad that they can. Doing so in this instance would preclude maximum graphics quality during the battery life test. 
    Until a third party comes along and states otherwise I will believe that Apple's marketing division used the most efficient settings of the device for their backing of their statement of a maximum battery life.
    But it's also not like I'm going to buy one of their doohickeys anyway.

That goes for everyone, not just Apple. Take what you will about their saying 10 hours of battery life playing video, and a month in standby. It's still a great deal more than what most mobile PCs are advertised at, which are subject to the same marketing ploys. Rightfully this'll be seen as one of the iPad's bonuses.

Originally posted by pyrofreak

I'd like to point out that the internet appears to hate everything about the iTampon, including its name.

Edit: Holy shit that's hilarious ^

Tampon?

www.youtube.com/watch

Here you go.
    The problem I have with the claim is that its an advertising claim.  Its not like they are similar everyone else who touts their effecient processor and says the wattage on it.  Atom - 2W, VIA Nano - 5W, AMD Neo - 10W.  Thats kind of what you do when you have a good energy consumption processor.  Without it the only way to tell is by the computers surrounding peripherals and the benchmark they used for comparison.  It could be the procesor, or it could be the simple nature of the device.  It also tells nothing on how well it performs the tasks since there are no definitive numbers or testing of people outside of Apple's Marketing.
    I think most people would prefer the ASUS Eee Tablet over this.  It has more functionality, a beefier processor and internal components, its cheaper, has a bigger display, and comes with half the advertised battery life.

That notebook should be the target of your skewing accusation really. "Up to"? That implies that's the maximum battery life with the system at idle, no wifi, etc. The iPad states 10 hours with video and wifi.

People that care about battery life will see the iPad as superior in that regard.

Originally posted by Rayx0r

again, some people prefer tablets over laptops especially in the professional world.  Aside from productivity, as far as tablets go this thing is the cream of the crop.  Nothing on the tablet market has this much versitility

and ..I gotta say if you're purchasing this strictly for liesure you got more money than you know what to do wtih.  In that case, stick with a notebook because you'll get more out of it.

Doesn't productivity require software that allows it? What businesses out there are running purely off the App Store suite of offerings? Or iWork?

I get the tablet argument, but people who've preferred tablets already have been and will continue to prefer tablets. Professionals who prefer tablets, will probably prefer a tablet actually capable of productivity.

I for example have a Windows 7 tablet capable of multitouch. I can use Office or Google Docs, I can use iTunes and I can use Kindle, I needn't a special YouTube app to view YouTube, I have Flash so I can look at any video site, and I can do it all through a browser of my choosing including Safari.

For productivity, the iPad definitely isn't something preferable in the realm of tablets. For a leisure device to watch movies on and read books, it may be preferred by those that enjoy Apple's aesthetics.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

The border is just to fat. Ugly as f*ck.

Originally posted by Rayx0r

Doesn't productivity require software that allows it? What businesses out there are running purely off the App Store suite of offerings? Or iWork?

I get the tablet argument, but people who've preferred tablets already have been and will continue to prefer tablets. Professionals who prefer tablets, will probably prefer a tablet actually capable of productivity.

I for example have a Windows 7 tablet capable of multitouch. I can use Office or Google Docs, I can use iTunes and I can use Kindle, I needn't a special YouTube app to view YouTube, I have Flash so I can look at any video site, and I can do it all through a browser of my choosing including Safari.

For productivity, the iPad definitely isn't something preferable in the realm of tablets. For a leisure device to watch movies on and read books, it may be preferred by those that enjoy Apple's aesthetics.

*edit* theres a new version of  iWork for the ipad that should satisfy most productivity needs.

also theres already quickoffice that allows creation, editing etc. of ms. word docs, excel spread sheets for the iphone.. not that you'll need it on the ipad with iWork but theres been production apps available for some time on the iphone and ipod touch

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Well there it is,the ever so anticipated iPad. Now that its here what do we think about it? At 1st I was not impressed, It really was just a large iPod Touch. Nothing that made me go WOW I want one. Then came the Price, for 499$ it started to make sense.

There are 2 main markets for this product in my opinion.

The broader market is for the tech loving household. I can see my self waking up and walking to the living room and instead of walking to my Laptop with my coffee and cereal, I can sit on the couch and flick through my email on the iPad. If I feel like reading my favorite blogs or going on to my twitter I can do that right from there, and I can view the usual news websites and traffic updates right from that. The same story when I get back, it will be nice to have it laying around the living room to do those little routine tasks. The added bonus is the video, pictures and youtube. Its nice to flick through old iPhoto album and see some old home movies or even watch some youtube clips on while laying back on the couch. So is 499$ a good price for this lifestyle device? I think yes! How ever- if you already own an iPod touch or iPhone this 499$ may seem a bit… unnessasary.. All these things can be done very well with a product you already have.. so there starts the dilemma.