Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a true RPG to you?

FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

There has been some discussion in another post about a particular game advertised as a RPG. But in some peoples views did not live up to what they thought a RPG was supposed to be like.

What I think a true RPG game has;

1) very well written deep story line.

2) Multiple controllable characters but not limited to (can be a single character). Also able to mold your character with armor weapons, spells, etc.

3) Selectable dialogue that can lead you into different paths depending on what was chosen.

4) Strategic combat that can have consequences other then just death. (Example: Kill an innocent and characters in party may react in a negative manner. Also NPC's in towns react different to decisions you made on your journey.)

I am sure there is a few more things that can be added that I am not thinking of right now. But lets hear from the community. Whats your view on a true RPG.

Comments

• pirrenpirren Member Posts: 5

I think that fallout series games are the best RPG. Especially S.P.E.C.I.A.L system..

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Whoa.   That's all an RPG is to you?   Wow.   All I have to say is you are easily pleased.  Let's look at the term: Role Playing Game.   This would imply a role you play.  That implies a level of depth to the world and your actions within that world.  To truly role play you have to enter into this world and play as if this is a true place, and your character has a past and future. 

To truly be called an RPG I would expect the game to offer a nearly real world.  A place in which my character could live their life, and I could play that role.  This world would need to be a rich and changing place where time moved forward.  Where the actions of the people (players) in the game can change the game.  It would have a depth of story to it not only equal to the Lord of the Rings Middle earth, but progressing in time so that the story and people playing their role in that world could progress far beyond what weapons and stats I might gain.  To truly role play, the world would need to be aware of me (as a player) and what I do.  I would need to make friends and enemies based on my actions in the past, and these characters would need to impact my future.  All of my choices and actions would have consequences to my future.  I'm barely getting started here... but sadly, there are no games that offer event this much, at least not yet.  But I have hope.  There is one being made.

• KieraLeiKieraLei Member Posts: 18

I'm going to have to agree 100% with Bookkeeper.  While you, Maniasol , make very valid points at to what games that are classified as RPGs should entail, to me, that is not real RP.  You are correct in stating that games like Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, and even the Final Fantasy series to be great action/adventure games.  There are "subtle" aspects of role play in them due to a slight "character" developmental aspect, it is not true RP.  As "silly" as this may sound to most, I have been an avided RPer for some years.  What is an avid RPer in my book?  Well, when a person, much like what Bookkeeper said, emerses themself in a world created by players (or a world created for players either or), and not only build a character via appearance, but take on the identity of that character, that world, the culture, etc.  You give life to your character and the part that makes it evenmoreso RP, is that you interact with those around you as your character. Now I'm not saying by any means you are incorrect, I just believe a real RPG is as such.  You have pen n' paper RPGs, you have text based (forums and chats), and somestimes, depending on conditions, you have some virtual based (second life, some groups/individuals in MMOs, etc). While I have found in the past that a true RPG can be played out best in a text setting, without limitations placed by game developers, I will admit that I am a graphics fiend.  While that also means that I may not get to experience my true definition of RP by playing MMOs or other such labeled games. Role playing = you are the character... in essence, much like an actor in a movie, that will last as long as you wish it to, and no boring script to follow.  

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Star Wars galaxies will always hold a special place in me for all those great RP moments. nowadays I use Second Life to fill my RP cup. SL has no pre determined story or characters, that is all up to you, which is what makes it great :]. Plus the character customization is "A"mazng / limitless.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Ehh If it has a story, lets me customize my character then its a rpg.

Im not one of those if it isnt a gothic or elder scrolls clone it isnt a rpg

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I remember having this debate with some girl on here like a year ago about what makes an RPG.   To me if you can progress your character by leveling up or skills, customize your characters weapons and armor then its an RPG.  To me that is a foundation in which makes part of a RPG.

It doesn't matter what kind of combat it has like Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, or turn based like the Final Fantasy games. Its the progression is what partly makes it a type of RPG be it FPSRPG, Turnbased RPG or Action RPG, Tactical RPG. 

But there are other things that make RPG as well. Like others said, a deep story line, selectable dialog, your actions also can change the outcome of the game.

But that whole selectable dialog thing has kinda made me thing about MMORPG's. From what I experienced there really isn't any game where you can choose what to say to  NPC's and depending on what you say something different might happen.  Well there won't be one till SWTOR comes out anyways. I may be wrong since I haven't played every single MMO out there. But usually its click, oh you have a quest for me, I accept.

So what is it that makes a MMORPG an RPG?

Is it the storyline?  Is it that your playing a Role? or is the the character progression that makes it a RPG? A combination of things?

Sorry OP I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I'd like this also to be like  a side discussion since they are RPG's.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

One that requires pencil and paper, and doesn't require a computer.  Any game that can be created with current technology for a reasonable amount of money doesn't have the ability to give you adequate choices, IMO, to be a "true" rpg.

In the meantime, I'll just accept electronic gamings limitations and just play games that I enjoy, without ideologically demanding a game be a "true" rpg.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Full customization, look, gear, and most importantly stats. Not a big fan of all these linear stat progression games (thx WoW..), oh and seemingly endless content to get lost in, then i'm all set.

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132

A true RPG can be shot and will explode on impact.

Maybe MMORPG companies messing up their releases should get better RPG launchers...

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

OP said what a true Rpg has. Its another discusion from:

A true RPG is..

Rpg is in Pc game terms .You have an rpg or mmorpg , you create a character ,due to complex and deep character creation system,(that depends on the rulest ofc of each game),and you stick on it. How you do that?Your in game behavior is what appears to be your character. You have a rogue? Its not always pleasant ,usually hes greedy on loot and items,treasures,he always seeks profit,usally no matter if he walks on corpses to accomplish his goals. If u have a paladin or an elven Officer? Hes a do gooder. He seeks to help those in need, be valiant and brave vs evil,usually good and noble in his manners etc etc

What true Rpg has?

A Grand world to explore, that it gives you the fewling that you are actually a part of mediveal fantasy living world,loys of interactivity with other players ( if we talk about mmorpg),a good economy system around this world,cooperating or fighting with other players only due to in character reasons,you may argue with someone about somethign,someone could insult u etc etc

There are many many other things to mention  i just mention some basics here.

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

Well, I think an RPG has to be a game in the sci-fi or fantasy genre. The game has to have a fictional character you are portrayed as. It also should have a storyline and objective.

www.ryzom.com

• Daemonic-DazDaemonic-Daz Member Posts: 16

I know its not classed as a MMORPG and isn't supported anymore by bioware. But I safely say that NWN (Neverwinter Nights) holds some of the best roleplaying experiences I've had in my life. Sure it was released back in 1999 but back then it was leading the way in how RPG's were meant to be created.

Also throw in the ability for players to create their own world's for a huge persistant servers to be setup that can could upto about 40+ players (One server could hold upto 80+ if I recall). I still play it now and for a defunct game it's still got a rather large community involved with it.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

The character your playing also has to be able to be developed/improved as they progress.   There needs to be many options to this development, with some choices closing others.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

As long as I am able to eat people, I am happy.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by cukimunga

...the character progression...

The character progression. Role-playing is really optional in today's MMOs, as we all know. It's all about the levels/skills.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

summing up... Moral choices that DO have impact on the environment.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Falcomith

I agree. Lore and story are major factors in a RPG. Also, look and feel plays a major part. When you feel that you have been transported to a new world, you know it is going to successful. Many RPGs today are quite soulless in this regard. You have to feel excited to continue the journey- almost a must to see what is behind the next corner.

2) Multiple controllable characters but not limited to (can be a single character). Also able to mold your character with armor weapons, spells, etc.
    Logical progression of your character when facing new challenges. The power curve needs to be properly balanced. A good RPG does not need to have multiple characters, but it can have. Not a must in my opinion, as many classic RPGs only had one character.
    3) Selectable dialogue that can lead you into different paths depending on what was chosen.
    Actions and dialogue that can lead you into different paths.
    4) Strategic combat that can have consequences other then just death. (Example: Kill an innocent and characters in party may react in a negative manner. Also NPC's in towns react different to decisions you made on your journey.)
    Depends on the overall game design and mechanics, but in general those are favorable things.   

The most important thing for me is the immersion. The game world, monsters and characters have to feel believable and interesting. The game world cannot just be a huge pile of computer generated graphics, but handcrafted with lots of attention to smaller details. The quality of production is really important. 

Dragon Age: Origins, while a decent game, failed to deliver an interesting villain in my opinion. I like my antagonists with their own reasons and sense of morality. Not just labels that this is the bad guy , he is a dragon, and dragons are evil demons. Perhaps the truth will be more complex in sequels, but Dragon Age: Origins did leave me slightly dissapointed in this regard.Usually Bioware has managed to deliver interesting villains.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• JeezesuzJeezesuz Member Posts: 70

RPG to me is character progression of my choosing.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I would argue that character progression is not necessary for a game to be a rpg.

Imagine a game with no charcter progression at all beyond the character creation.  But also imagine that the game world is big, open, dynamic and can be changed by the players.  Cities built and destroyed.  Players opening shops and maybe going out of business later.  Adventurers adventuring.  But no levels and no skill increases and no endless item upgrading.

So if you play a paladin or a wizard in that game are you not in a roleplaying game?  If you go into a player owned shop and haggle with the guy over prices is it somehow an action/arcade game simply because it doesn't have levels?

You would still be playing a role in a game world.  In fact, I would argue that if people weren't fixated on min/maxing and the rush to level, level, level there might actually be a little roleplaying going on.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

I would argue that character progression is not necessary for a game to be a rpg.
    Imagine a game with no charcter progression at all beyond the character creation.  But also imagine that the game world is big, open, dynamic and can be changed by the players.  Cities built and destroyed.  Players opening shops and maybe going out of business later.  Adventurers adventuring.  But no levels and no skill increases and no endless item upgrading.
    So if you play a paladin or a wizard in that game are you not in a roleplaying game?  If you go into a player owned shop and haggle with the guy over prices is it somehow an action/arcade game simply because it doesn't have levels?
    You would still be playing a role in a game world.  In fact, I would argue that if people weren't fixated on min/maxing and the rush to level, level, level there might actually be a little roleplaying going on.

I will agree that your definition is more accurate to the dictionary definition.    However, the OP asked 'what is a true RPG to you?"   I would not choose to play a game without progression.   Because, in a sense, you'd start the game at max level with max gear if you do.    By definition, your character could never get the slightest bit better. otherwise he'd be progressing.     Now, we could probably split hairs all day debating whether something like learning your way around a virtual city counted as progression.  

All I can say is for me, I would not want to play a game where my character could not improve in either levels or gear (in essence, in power) after creation.     Personally, I would find that boring.    To each his own.

• dreamtheatredreamtheatre Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Falcomith

There has been some discussion in another post about a particular game advertised as a RPG. But in some peoples views did not live up to what they thought a RPG was supposed to be like.
    What I think a true RPG game has;

I am sure there is a few more things that can be added that I am not thinking of right now. But lets hear from the community. Whats your view on a true RPG.

I'd prefer total freedom of choice.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

To me an rpg is an immersive world where we spend time advancing our characters, preferably one world where everyone interacts, one that gives us tools and options and isnt just about the combat, if i wanted that i'd play co op shooters.

• fliprabbitfliprabbit Member Posts: 5

Well character progression is the only visible means to quantify that a character has developed or "grown up". All characters start out the same. The only thing that defines a character from another would be his strengths and weaknesses (in skill, stats, equipment buffs). To give an actual number to these stats would determine how unique he is from others.

For me though, what makes an RPG is how immersive it is. It should have all the basic elements (yes, such as character progression), however, it should be able to tie up all the basics together in such a way that is relatable to the individual. It's the whole package, tied up by the theme and the story that determines a real RPG. It's called "Role-playing" after all.

• RebelNinjaRebelNinja Member Posts: 9

An RPG to me...well officially that can be anything, but a WORTHY rpg? One thing I cannot stand is seeing the EXACT same thing in every RPG. For example...you download a game. You get to character creation, and what do you see? Warrior/Mage/Assassin (or something of the sorts)/Ranger . After you've made your "distinct" character you start out in a world and your first quest? "GO KILL 10 OF THESE STUPID LOOKING MONSTERS TO PROVE YOUR SKILL TO ME!" Then for the rest of the game your running around town talking to npc's doing boring quests that involve either killing a certain number of monsters or getting a certain amount of a specific item from a monster. Then when you hit a certain level, you get shiny new armor and a weapon..(which is either a bow, a sword, a hammer, or a staff..) If you have the money that is.. That whole process repeats itself indefinetally until you pull the hair right out of your head.

A Really epic RPG is one that can REALLY distinguish your character from other players characters. One that can give you creativity and a variety of paths to follow. I'm talking about an RPG that the creators took their time on, didn't rush into getting it published. I realize not every company has the resources to publish a game like Oblivion or Mass effect, (Best RPG's in the world in my own personal opinion)..but it is a waste of time and money to try to recreate World of Warcraft every time you create an RPG. A True PRG is one of it's own kind.

Rock n' Roll Ninja

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

A true RPG would have to be a single player game. I love multiplayer games for the social aspect, but honestly, other players really kill the RPG immersion in online RPGs. I feel alot less like an orc when one of my friends is talking about his favorite band in guild chat. That's just the way it goes. And I"m fine with it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.