Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we can really expect.

This thread isn't to hate on TOR. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to the game and I'll definitely be pre-ordering and all that good stuff. I believe it will be a truly awesome, entertaining, and immersive game. However, here is my realistic view/prediction of what it will be like.

Questing

The storyline will be epic. There's no doubt about that. I'm positive that Bioware will be producing some of the best quests that the MMO industry has ever seen, but I don't think we'll be making real choices that change things too drastically. I think that the choices we make at the NPC will affect how the quest plays out, but the end result will still be the same.

Example: NPC1 wants you to steal intergalactic apples from the intergalactic farm.

Option 1: Steal the intergalactic apples

Option 2: Pay the intergalactic farmer for the intergalactic apples

Option 3: Do a good deed for the intergalactic farmer so that you may be rewarded with intergalactic apples

Something to that extent. I expect we WILL see some real choices, but don't bet on there being too many.

Worlds

Worlds will be huge, but not entire worlds. Coruscant will be pretty huge. It will offer many hours of questing and exploring and the like, but don't expect to be running around the entire planet. It's impractical. At some point you'll be hitting a barrier to go beyond the playfield. Bioware isn't going to put that much time and effort into one planet. They have 9 planets at the moment and if they made them all into entire worlds then this game wouldn't be out until 2017 lol.

PvP/RvR

Now that Bioware and Mythic are under the same roof...sort of...I think you can expect to see some decent PvP content. There will most likely be open-world PvP, but probably in lakes similar to how WAR is set up. I don't think we'll see the world change that drastically based on PvP. The PvP lakes may change, but I'm thinking Bioware will want to keeps PvE and PvP as separate as possible. They are catering towards the more casual crowd and casuals usually like to keep things like that separate so that they can choose when to do PvP and when to go Raid. I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that one of the planets allows for free-for-all PvP.

Space fighting will probably make its way into the game in one form or another at some point. If not at launch, then certainly in an expansion.

Raids

Raids in SWTOR will be pretty epic, but not really all that challenging (catering towards casuals).  Not much to say other than that. Don't expect too many large scale raids either, but really the entire industry has been moving that way for a while now.

Crafting

My prediction is that it will be fairly WoW-esque. Not a bad thing though, just don't expect crafted gear to be as potent as raiding or PvP gear.

Role Play

This game will be a RPers dream. So much lore and so many opportunities that I just don't think RPers can pass up the chance to play this game, however if you are into playing the average joe...this probably won't interest you very much. They are focused on making you the hero, not giving you the option to be a moisture farmer.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So those are a few of my predictions, based mostly on how I have seen past MMOs come out. In no way do I expect this game to fail. I think this game will be a massive success. Not as big as WoW, but certainly a Force (<-- hurhurhur) to be reckoned with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

You could be wrong or you could be right. Remember this is bioware not mythic were talking about. Even though Both are owned by EA (ach!) Bioware has always put out great games imo. Who knows EA may have learned they're lesson from the WAR fiasco and are backing off Bioware...or at least one could only hope.

(DDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH raises double plunger salute to Bioware games!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I'm not sure this is for me. I don't like storyline games. I haven't played one I felt was exciting on the first run through the story, haven't played one that I felt was challenging, and definitely never played one that I felt had anything left over for starting a new character.

I'm not saying nobody should buy it, just that I'll probably drift away unless it seems like they're putting some good stuff in there. Lots of good, challenging content would make up for having to do a story the way they want.

Asdar

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by Capn23

This thread isn't to hate on TOR. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to the game and I'll definitely be pre-ordering and all that good stuff. I believe it will be a truly awesome, entertaining, and immersive game. However, here is my realistic view/prediction of what it will be like.

Questing
    The storyline will be epic. There's no doubt about that. I'm positive that Bioware will be producing some of the best quests that the MMO industry has ever seen, but I don't think we'll be making real choices that change things too drastically. I think that the choices we make at the NPC will affect how the quest plays out, but the end result will still be the same.

Example: NPC1 wants you to steal intergalactic apples from the intergalactic farm.
    Option 1: Steal the intergalactic apples
    Option 2: Pay the intergalactic farmer for the intergalactic apples
    Option 3: Do a good deed for the intergalactic farmer so that you may be rewarded with intergalactic apples

Something to that extent. I expect we WILL see some real choices, but don't bet on there being too many.

Worlds
    Worlds will be huge, but not entire worlds. Coruscant will be pretty huge. It will offer many hours of questing and exploring and the like, but don't expect to be running around the entire planet. It's impractical. At some point you'll be hitting a barrier to go beyond the playfield. Bioware isn't going to put that much time and effort into one planet. They have 9 planets at the moment and if they made them all into entire worlds then this game wouldn't be out until 2017 lol.

PvP/RvR
    Now that Bioware and Mythic are under the same roof...sort of...I think you can expect to see some decent PvP content. There will most likely be open-world PvP, but probably in lakes similar to how WAR is set up. I don't think we'll see the world change that drastically based on PvP. The PvP lakes may change, but I'm thinking Bioware will want to keeps PvE and PvP as separate as possible. They are catering towards the more casual crowd and casuals usually like to keep things like that separate so that they can choose when to do PvP and when to go Raid. I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that one of the planets allows for free-for-all PvP.

Space fighting will probably make its way into the game in one form or another at some point. If not at launch, then certainly in an expansion.

Raids
    Raids in SWTOR will be pretty epic, but not really all that challenging (catering towards casuals).  Not much to say other than that. Don't expect too many large scale raids either, but really the entire industry has been moving that way for a while now.

Crafting
    My prediction is that it will be fairly WoW-esque. Not a bad thing though, just don't expect crafted gear to be as potent as raiding or PvP gear.

Role Play
    This game will be a RPers dream. So much lore and so many opportunities that I just don't think RPers can pass up the chance to play this game, however if you are into playing the average joe...this probably won't interest you very much. They are focused on making you the hero, not giving you the option to be a moisture farmer.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So those are a few of my predictions, based mostly on how I have seen past MMOs come out. In no way do I expect this game to fail. I think this game will be a massive success. Not as big as WoW, but certainly a Force (<-- hurhurhur) to be reckoned with.

Option 4: Kill the farmer...knock up his daughters...give his wife a good beating....leave town with apples in tow.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Could be OP... could be... but I'm thinking they will try and keep this line as close to ToR games as possible as far as story and content.  It may sound silly, but in ToR games they had speeder races... pazaak games..  and though weapons could be picked up, you could modify or make "crafting" decisions for upgrades.   I mean, this MMO will be on a scale that the original old republic games weren't ...  but if this will stay even remotely true to how the first 2 games were, I think we'll see a lot more detail then we're initially expecting.    I will agree that its doubtful we'll see entire worlds that we can explore, but I think the areas of exploration on each planet will be fairly immense considering. 

I also think that we'll see crafting as being used somewhat widely in the game... with the regular skill sets from ToR games to be able to use and repair droids... or interact with the environment...  I think we have the opportunity to see a large market for crafted items.

Really only time will tell.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

You could be wrong or you could be right. Remember this is bioware not mythic were talking about. Even though Both are owned by EA (ach!) Bioware has always put out great games imo. Who knows EA may have learned they're lesson from the WAR fiasco and are backing off Bioware...or at least one could only hope.
    (DDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH raises double plunger salute to Bioware games!)

I understand this and I'm not basing this completely off of WAR or EA at all. As I stated, I have no doubt that it will be a superior game to the ones that have been flooding the MMO market lately. Trust me when I say that I'm pretty hyped about the game.

However, I realize the limitations of time,  money, and mechanics. I think what I wrote is a fairly good place to put your expectations. If it's better and goes beyond what I predict then I'll be the first to admit that I'm glad that I was wrong. I HOPE they impress me above and beyond what I'm expecting. What I'm predicting for the game is still a really good game. If they make it better then I'll be more excited and pleased with the game.

Originally posted by asdar

I'm not sure this is for me. I don't like storyline games. I haven't played one I felt was exciting on the first run through the story, haven't played one that I felt was challenging, and definitely never played one that I felt had anything left over for starting a new character.
    I'm not saying nobody should buy it, just that I'll probably drift away unless it seems like they're putting some good stuff in there. Lots of good, challenging content would make up for having to do a story the way they want.

Then this game probably won't be for you. However, the great thing is that there is so much variety in the gaming world and if you don't like one game, there are hundreds of other games out there that are trying to entice you in.

I do hope that you find enjoyment in the game if you do try it though.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by lttexxan

Option 4: Kill the farmer...knock up his daughters...give his wife a good beating....leave town with apples in tow.

Sandbox is that way ----->

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Questing
    Agreed.   I expect paths to follow a Christmas tree-like pattern, with the top of the tree being character creation.

Worlds
    Well, they have said that this game will be equivalent in size to what KoToR 3 thru 7 would be, but yes, expecting all planets to be full worlds is unreasonable.     Certainly leaves a lot of room for future expansions though. 
    PvP/RvR
    As long as it's consentual, I'll be happy.    Please, no open pvp zones that will be required to visit.

I wouldn't expect space combat at launch either.    To make it worth playing, it'd involve a whole different set of game mechanics.   Plus ship-related skills. 
    Raids
     My biggest worry about the game.   I hate raids.    I'm really hoping that no raids are part of the main storyline, and are strictly optional sidelines or have a soloable equivalent.
    Crafting
    You're probably right, but I'm hoping you're not.    I'd like to see more useful items come out of crafting, similar to what Lotro does. 
    Role Play
    I'm not a RP person, but I'll be unable to stop myself from throwing out the odd quote at the right moment "I find your lack of faith disturbing...."   :)
    Nice post.

Originally posted by SwampRob

Questing
    Agreed.   I expect paths to follow a Christmas tree-like pattern, with the top of the tree being character creation.

Worlds
    Well, they have said that this game will be equivalent in size to what KoToR 3 thru 7 would be, but yes, expecting all planets to be full worlds is unreasonable.     Certainly leaves a lot of room for future expansions though. 
    PvP/RvR
    As long as it's consentual, I'll be happy.    Please, no open pvp zones that will be required to visit.
     I personally enjoy a certain amount of forced PvP, but as I stated in the little blurb above that I understand casual players don't really like to mix PvE and PvP too much. The trend is to separate the two and I understand the rationale. However it's been confirmed...sort of...that there will be PvE AND PvP servers so I don't think there will be too much of an issue over this problem.

I wouldn't expect space combat at launch either.    To make it worth playing, it'd involve a whole different set of game mechanics.   Plus ship-related skills. 
    Raids
     My biggest worry about the game.   I hate raids.    I'm really hoping that no raids are part of the main storyline, and are strictly optional sidelines or have a soloable equivalent.
    I've never been much of a raider myself, but I do enjoy the occasional raid. There will most likely be small scale dungeons and lots of them, so you only have to go with a small group of friends rather than 25-40 people. Don't forget the Massively Multiplayer in MMORPG. There's going to be a certain amount of it.

Crafting
    You're probably right, but I'm hoping you're not.    I'd like to see more useful items come out of crafting, similar to what Lotro does. 
    I'm hoping for the same thing you are.
    Role Play
    I'm not a RP person, but I'll be unable to stop myself from throwing out the odd quote at the right moment "I find your lack of faith disturbing...."   :)
    Nice post.

• ChachChach Member Posts: 69

Does anybody know exactly when they started working on this game?  I remember in my short time in SWG a long time ago, like 3+ years that there were rumors about Bioware and LucasArts. 

I think with the time that they have had, we know one thing for sure.  This game will be truly polished with few bugs.  All the other stuff are predictions at the moment and to the OP I think you paint a decent picture.  I for one, am excited for this game.  I think my MMO days will end with either this game or FF14. Not necessarily because I want to, but kids will soon be into play and with a wife, house, job, kids, I don't foresee any chance of playing 4-6 hours..../cry.  Such is life.

Originally posted by Chach

Does anybody know exactly when they started working on this game?  I remember in my short time in SWG a long time ago, like 3+ years that there were rumors about Bioware and LucasArts. 
    I think with the time that they have had, we know one thing for sure.  This game will be truly polished with few bugs.  All the other stuff are predictions at the moment and to the OP I think you paint a decent picture.  I for one, am excited for this game.  I think my MMO days will end with either this game or FF14. Not necessarily because I want to, but kids will soon be into play and with a wife, house, job, kids, I don't foresee any chance of playing 4-6 hours..../cry.  Such is life.

And SWTOR is trying to cater to that sort of lifestyle. You've got tons of stuff on your plate and they want to offer a game where you can advance without feeling like you'll never reach max level.

Do you take into account that they have just one year to turn a 95% SPOG into some sort of an MPOG?

It will be interesting.

Originally posted by altairzq

Do you take into account that they have just one year to turn a 95% SPOG into some sort of an MPOG?

It will be interesting.

I'm sure it will be interesting to you, seeing as how you think it was originally developed as a single player game, but the game has been developed as a massive multiplayer game from the beginning as the developers have stated numerous times.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I am in the same boat and this game seems like it will be a fit. Right now the wife and I are enjoying LoTro.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

It will be interesting.

I'm sure it will be interesting to you, seeing as how you think it was originally developed as a single player game, but the game has been developed as a massive multiplayer game from the beginning as the developers have stated numerous times.

Well not me, the developers said it was 95% soloable, so the fact is, TOR is (or was) a solo game, because nobody is going to team for solo content.

Then, there has been an outcry in the community, they probably have seen too many people didn't like the single player approach and I bet they are rewriting the quests to appeal also to the groupers. What I'm saying is, it will be interesting to see if they manage to do that. It's something very complex to do.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

Try not to interpret that dev quote incorrectly. It can also be argued that WoW is 95% soloable. I think what the devs meant by that was that it is possible to level solo, but is also optional to level in a group.

Looking at it this way, it's no different than many other MMOs today. Then again, it could be me that is misinterpreting things. It would be a mistake in any game that is trying to become mainstream to force grouping. That is a system that is proven niche, loved by a few, tolerated by a few, and disliked by many.

My point is this: Taking that quote to mean that the game is single player is an extreme interpretation, no matter how many ill-informed fanboys (not saying that's you FYI) subscribe to it.

Originally posted by wanderica

Try not to interpret that dev quote incorrectly. It can also be argued that WoW is 95% soloable. I think what the devs meant by that was that it is possible to level solo, but is also optional to level in a group. Looking at it this way, it's no different than many other MMOs today. Then again, it could be me that is misinterpreting things. It would be a mistake in any game that is trying to become mainstream to force grouping. That is a system that is proven niche, loved by a few, tolerated by a few, and disliked by many. My point is this: Taking that quote to mean that the game is single player is an extreme interpretation, no matter how many ill-informed fanboys (not saying that's you FYI) subscribe to it.

No way, wow is not 95% soloable, I would say dungeons are 50-70% of the content and they are group forced. And they are 100% of the PVE content at high level, where 95% of the players are.

About TOR my point is, when you have content that is both soloable and groupable, it can be considered only soloable because in practice nobody is going to group to do it. The few that could try, will find nobody anyway. So it's reasonable to say that TOR was at some point practically a solo game. Hope they will change this.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

It will be interesting.

With releasing information about SW:TOR they highlighted what in their eyes was different from the excisting MMO's. Which is the way they tell you the story in SW:TOR. That a couple of idiots like you read into that , that SW:TOR was going to be a singleplayer game, was probably a surprise to them. Because no one expects people to be THAT stupid :p

So now they are showing that there are also the usual MMO ingredients. But of course, you read into that, that they are now trying to turn a singleplayer game into a MMO.

Im certain that they will fall of their chair from this level of stupidity

:p
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by wanderica

Try not to interpret that dev quote incorrectly. It can also be argued that WoW is 95% soloable. I think what the devs meant by that was that it is possible to level solo, but is also optional to level in a group. Looking at it this way, it's no different than many other MMOs today. Then again, it could be me that is misinterpreting things. It would be a mistake in any game that is trying to become mainstream to force grouping. That is a system that is proven niche, loved by a few, tolerated by a few, and disliked by many. My point is this: Taking that quote to mean that the game is single player is an extreme interpretation, no matter how many ill-informed fanboys (not saying that's you FYI) subscribe to it.

No way, wow is not 95% soloable, I would say dungeons are 50-70% of the content and they are group forced. And they are 100% of the PVE content at high level, where 95% of the players are.

About TOR my point is, when you have content that is both soloable and groupable, it can be considered only soloable because in practice nobody is going to group to do it. The few that could try, will find nobody anyway. So it's reasonable to say that TOR was at some point practically a solo game. Hope they will change this.

Well, we already know you lack the imagination to understand that there are other ways to create groupable content in a dungeon that also can be solo'd. CoH already showed that a dungeon can be scaled in difficulty, depending on how large group is that will enter it. If you also scale the rewards/loot in that way, you have enough incentive for groups to go in.

You also dont know what they will do in SW:TOR with group content. But instead you just assume this and that and know for sure its not going to work

But it all comes down to that you are just GUESSING. Please stop posting your blahdieblah, because it hurts my brain to read your logically flawed drivel.

Wished I opened a different thread :/

Forumguy take your flames somewhere else.

I expect most of the leveling process with be soloable, but endgame will probably be more group oriented as most MMOs are. They are going for causal, but I don't think quite that casual LOL.

And please stop the flames. There is no need. We are ALL just guessing and making predictions at this point. That's what this thread is all about :)

No need to get angry at people over stuff like this.

• zartan5000zartan5000 Member Posts: 44

from what i have read up on this game, the focus will be on the storyline and not solo leveling. it will be entierly possible to group or solo just anything save for some instances. just like WoW. the difference is, when you are grouped, the people grouped with you can actually interact with your quests and vise versa. this, in my opinion will promote more grouping. im surprised people are actually mad this game is highly soloable. in WoW, how often do you look for people to group with at lower levels? just about never. the focus is on getting to max level asap so you CAN group. the fact you can start a new toon and get a new story line to solo/group will make people enjoy the trip more than just the end destination.

Originally posted by zartan5000

from what i have read up on this game, the focus will be on the storyline and not solo leveling. it will be entierly possible to group or solo just anything save for some instances. just like WoW. the difference is, when you are grouped, the people grouped with you can actually interact with your quests and vise versa. this, in my opinion will promote more grouping. im surprised people are actually mad this game is highly soloable. in WoW, how often do you look for people to group with at lower levels? just about never. the focus is on getting to max level asap so you CAN group. the fact you can start a new toon and get a new story line to solo/group will make people enjoy the trip more than just the end destination.

I agree 100%.

Directed toward altairz, the developers did mention that there will be specifically group quests, as well as your main story line, each of which have room for grouping.  They did mention raids and things of that nature too, which you wouldn't be doing alone. All that needs to really happen is to have an incentive to group.  For a smaller scale example, take borderlands for instance. With a full team in borderlands, you get much better (and rarer) drops, the guys are harder, and you get more experience.  Something as simple as that would make for an easy reason to group at any level.

Also, this is SWToR.  Both games prior was all about assembling a specific, diverse team that would help you through the game. Star wars as an IP hasn't really been about being a lone warrior but fighting for a cause alongside others.  No wars were fought alone, apart from a lightsaber duel here or there.  I also don't know about you, but if I ever go in a PvP area alone, I usually look for people from my same faction to group with for security.

The ability to solo, and creating a completely solo game are completely different.  This is a multiplayer game that just happens to have the ability to solo.  

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

There is a lot of difference what Bioware/Lucas Arts has been saying and the spread of disinformation by some trolls/disgruntled gamers.

Regardless, I expect this game to feel and look like a Bioware game. And I am certain that it will give me and my friends few hundred hours of entertainment online.  The story will be great and hopefully they manage to bring innovation to the genre in the form of storytelling. I am sick and tired of poorly designed cut'n'paste quests that are the norm in almost every single new MMO since the format became popular. Bioware should be able to create meaningful quest lines, which makes you feel like they were fun to do instead of just a quick way to get a bit more experience points. Voice acting also is a big thing in terms of production quality - few will be able to match it.

I also expect the game to be enjoyable journey through Star Wars universe much like KOTOR was. I am not expecting it to be the next big thing for MMO genre that will capture fans for half a decade like WoW did. Nor I expect the end-game to be much different from WoW.

I also wish Bioware plans to provide content updates imore frequently but in smaller dosage, so that we can continue our journey. I think this was their plan when they pitched their idea to Lucas Arts.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• I think it'd be more like "to continue with the storyline, you need to download the following patch that will cost xxx dollars" (displayed at a critical cliffhanger, of course). Or pay to unlock certain quests, or see specific areas... I really can't imagine making in-game credits becoming actually YOUR MONEY by making equipment upgrades a micropayment item.