Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard buys out EQ2

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Or at least thats what it seems like.. EQ2 is now getting battlegrounds. I just called my friend who plays EQ2 to poke fun at him, because he's always telling me how EQ2 isn't copying everything WoW does...

what was that buddy? Not copying you say?

He's freaking out, in disgust.. needless to say. Oddly hardly anyone on the Oboards are talking about it.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by raystantz

Or at least thats what it seems like.. EQ2 is now getting battlegrounds. I just called my friend who plays EQ2 to poke fun at him, because he's always telling me how EQ2 isn't copying everything WoW does...

He's freaking out, in disgust.. needless to say. Oddly hardly anyone on the Oboards are talking about it.

The irony is WoW copied EQ, then then EQ2 turn around and copied WoW.

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I dunno .. I played in BGs from Dark Age of Camelot before WoW even existed.

• felorefelore Member Posts: 222

you mean Mythic bought EQ2 ....since Mythic is before WoW in terms of battlegrounds.....this WOW was 1st crap gets old

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

On all servers? That's actually awesome.

Damn you EQ2, you're the sexy ex of MMOs.

Currently Playing: The Game

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by felore

you mean Mythic bought EQ2 ....since Mythic is before WoW in terms of battlegrounds.....this WOW was 1st crap gets old

We can only hope nothing has been as awesome as those DAoC BGs. As long as thats all they touch

Currently Playing: The Game

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Arcken

Originally posted by raystantz

The irony is WoW copied EQ, then then EQ2 turn around and copied WoW.

Your sir are correct.  WoW at its very core is only simple version of EQ with easy mode...well everything. 

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Noone said WoW was first.. but EQ2 is not copying the DaoC version.. they are blatantly copying the WoW reincarnation there of.

Currently playing:

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Who cares. its not like you HAVE to play in them.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

Umm, they offer exclusive armor sets for battlegrounds. How else is he going to get them?

battlegrounds are a lame, yet sassy way to entertain ages 10-16

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

EQ2 has "easy mode" auto-face... takes all the fun out of PvP.

• You said he said eq2 doesn't copy EVERYTHING, even if they "copy" the bg, that doesn't mean EVERYTHING. But it's certainly interesting to see that eq2 will now have bg. More things to do is never wrong, but I'm not sure it's really needed. Eq2 was always a pve game, but I don't think it will draw people away so I guess it's all good. 

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

obviously the OP is one of those "if it's in WoW they invented it types"  You know u have no credibility on a site like this posting garbage about WoW did it first..

Ur a Joker

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by coffee

I disagree.

Many solid pvp mmos have a similar auto face system.

While I may have enjoyed the strafe, spinning like a top combat of a World of Warcraft I have had a great time with games like Guild Wars, Aion, WAR and DAoC that have similar auto facing

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Copying??? They are just adding arenas wtf is your problem..WoW isnt the only game that have had that idea and games before Wow has arenas. so please you are all wrong,pathetic humans.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Nothing in wow is original, so why the troll op post ? What a waste of space.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

I disagree. Many solid pvp mmos have a similar auto face system. While I may have enjoyed the strafe, spinning like a top combat of a World of Warcraft I have had a great time with games like Guild Wars, Aion, WAR and DAoC that have similar auto facing

Autofacing in any PvP game is a fail..

Attacking from behind gives extra advantages, like dodge and parry ratings that get ignored.

I don't know all games above, but in the PvP department, autofacing simply means the games using it - fail in the tactical department.

Jumping over an enemy and in one strike attacking from behind is just another added PvP tactical skill.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• FoxkounFoxkoun Member Posts: 96
    I'm not one for PvP myself, I rarely found any action in GW. I'm not against it, but don't see myself being drawn in immediately.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by camp11111

I disagree. Many solid pvp mmos have a similar auto face system. While I may have enjoyed the strafe, spinning like a top combat of a World of Warcraft I have had a great time with games like Guild Wars, Aion, WAR and DAoC that have similar auto facing

Attacking from behind gives extra advantages, like dodge and parry ratings that get ignored.

I don't know all games above, but in the PvP department, autofacing simply means the games using it - fail in the tactical department.

Jumping over an enemy and in one strike attacking from behind is just another added PvP tactical skill.

Games with auto facing still have directional attacks, (back stabs... etc). I really don't see a problem with auto facing, it cuts down on confusion and when in a pile up it makes it easy to know where you're facing and being attacked from. So annoying when you're trying to target someone and you target everyone else instead of the person attacking you. Auto facing allows the ability to have chance against classes like rogues, who attack out of no where, no auto face = easy mode for stealth classes IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161

If they ruling body of players in EQ2 want battleground why shouldnt they give it to them. They have a small enough market share why make it smaller by denying you playerbase.

To the op Where is the info about blizzard buying eq2 , UM CHANGE THE NAME OF UR THREAD OR GIVE UP THE INFO

• miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Recker

To the op Where is the info about blizzard buying eq2 , UM CHANGE THE NAME OF UR THREAD OR GIVE UP THE INFO

i agree, i hope an admin gets in on this bc i was pretty misled by the title too....

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by camp11111

You can have directional attacks with auto facing.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is a copycat league we're in. We're playing in a genre that cares more about sales than innovating and making things better for the future.

• SnakesSnakes Member Posts: 68

You know.. there's a minor flaw with the title. Blizzard wouldn't be able to buy out EQ2 -- Blizzard doesn't really have a company anymore, Blizzard is owned by Vivendi. However Vivendi owns Activition/Blizzard (Hence their new name: Activision Blizzard), which in turn I suppose then there is Blizzard Entertainment (however that is owned by Activision Blizzard)

Either way you look at it, everyone is looking to copy the giants. I mean, why bother trying something new? Why bother messing with what works? (Or at least that's how developers are looking at it since they can't get investors because something new is risky and the investor might lose their money. Investors want a sure thing, and mirroring WoW or EVE or EQ or any big player often results in a sure thing - and a quick return on the investment.) This is why we are seeing many mirrors and no real improvements or something new, that's why we shall see more and more of the same thing across multiple games... heck eventuall all will probably become one and there will be no more need for MMOs there is only one (which wouldn't surprise me the least bit - I will probably be much older by that time or dead, or maybe the MMO Genre will fade away as time progresses.)

I'm just saying. Haha.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

The title isn't misleading. Anyone with half a brain would know it was a laced with extreme amounts of sarcasm.

WoW wasn't the first, but they sure are the most well known. So, when other games start to put things in their games that are popular in WoW, they aren't copying DaoC or anything else.. they are copying "whats popular" and whats popular is WoW.

This thread was just another stab at the companies who instead of making something interesting and different, they not only borrow ideas from past MMO's they don't even bother to put their on spin.. or in this case.. own "name" on them.. At least call it something other than battlegrounds, or come up with some different rulesets.

Currently playing:

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

EQ2 VERSION  is better in my view since its cross server