Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why has nobody put this kind of combat in an mmo!?

shadowman465shadowman465 Member UncommonPosts: 32

This is what i wanna see its much more realist no more 123 123 123

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Latency and hit detection.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by uohaloran

ftw...

Ever wonder why you're limited to x number of players and a small map in a FPS?

Look at games like Darkfall and Mortal Online and see the trouble they're having.  You don't think they're striving for Oblivion-like gameplay?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'ma go ahead and bring up C9. It looks like it may bring an incredible combat system to the table, but it's sacrificing the "massive" nature of the game to be able to handle it. A sad trade-off, but I think Oblivion-style wasn't too intense to figure in without making huge sacrifices. Though I have yet to see a game where blocking, swinging and charging attacks meant something in MMO form. That is the hurdle in question.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

Why? Because it's more boring than hitting 123. Did you know that in a FPS, you only hit left-click. Take Oblivion as example, left-click to attack and hit C to cast your currently selected spell or scroll. 

So what your talking about as nothing to do with what key you hit, but more about aiming yourself like in a FPS.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by GTwander

Though I have yet to see a game where blocking, swinging and charging attacks meant something in MMO form.

Champions Online did the block and charge attack that realy meant something in the gameplay.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• rellorello Member Posts: 186

I'ma go ahead and bring up C9. It looks like it may bring an incredible combat system to the table, but it's sacrificing the "massive" nature of the game to be able to handle it. A sad trade-off, but I think Oblivion-style wasn't too intense to figure in without making huge sacrifices. Though I have yet to see a game where blocking, swinging and charging attacks meant something in MMO form. That is the hurdle in question.

Have you played C9 yet? I have, theres no incredible combat system, its the exact same thing as other games out there.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

www.youtube.com/watch

Watch for fps combat in an mmo you can play right now!! :P  lol

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by shadowman465

Darkfall has the combat system you are looking for.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

search for a mount&blade combat video, better if you try it, THAT IS an awsome combat mechanics made by indy devs.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Issues with this video:

1) you didn't properly link it, so I had to cut and paste

2) The guy who made it calls this FPS combat when it's actually in third person over the shoulder view and there is no shooting.

3) A large battle in Mount & Blade would have made this video more relevant to MMOs since all the fights in this video only involved a handful of people. It would have been bonus points if they had used Mount & Blade Warband as their example.

4) You obviously never played Fable or any (bad) olde skool Beat 'Em Up where the constant fighting became tedious if you had to do it for more than ten minutes. Even arcade style combat can be grindy and repetitive if executed poorly.

5) If this is all that MMOs need to be fun, then DDO should be the most popular MMO on the planet. News flash: it isn't.

I will concede that I'd like a little more action in MMOs, but I've seen the action RPG "two button combo" system before. It's going to take more than a phong shaded, 3D Dungeon Fighter Online to grow this tired old genre.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by ghost047

Though I have yet to see a game where blocking, swinging and charging attacks meant something in MMO form.

Champions Online did the block and charge attack that realy meant something in the gameplay.

Agreed, although Champions has auto-targeting the combat is fast enough to require more real-time twitch skills then other MMOs (this aspect alone made it my favorite).   And I agree with your earlier comment , Ghost, about the controls in Oblivion or in an FPS being much more simple then 123, I would rather have auto-targeting and a dozen+ distinct abilities then to have twitch targeting with only 4 or 5 abilities usable at a time. 

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Yeah, Mount & Blade's combat is killer. I don't think we'll see anything working that smooth in MMOs for a long time, unfortunately.

I don't care really how combat is done as long as it is fluid. One thing I can't stand is feeling disconnect between my input and actual on-screen actions.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by championsFan

Originally posted by ghost047

Agreed, although Champions has auto-targeting the combat is fast enough to require more real-time twitch skills then other MMOs (this aspect alone made it my favorite).   And I agree with your earlier comment , Ghost, about the controls in Oblivion or in an FPS being much more simple then 123, I would rather have auto-targeting and a dozen+ distinct abilities then to have twitch targeting with only 4 or 5 abilities usable at a time. 

Wait! You can use 10 abilities at once?! I was under the impression that you had to hit your abilities sequentially, one at a time, and then wait for them to cool down before you used them again.

Man!!! All this time I could have just held a couple pencils over the keyboard and used 20+ abilities at once.... No wonder I'm always getting pwnt!

But seriously, that arguement is week sauce.

Exhibit A:

From Virtua Fighter 5

Exhibit B

Soul Calibur, Nightmar move list

Notice that individual characters have massive numbers of attacks that they can pull off at any time. The only limit is the timing of the animation and how fast the player can pound out those combos.

Believe me, Fighting games on the tourney level rival some of the deepest RTS games out there.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by shadowman465

What you are showing is called non targetted combat. It has been common for action games forever, but relatively uncommon for MMO's due to latency.

There are several MMO's with this available at this time, and a whole series of games based on UT3 with this coming out.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

Point taken, I should have said "actively using", by which I mean you are able to and are motivated to use that many abilities in each encounter, as opposed to games where you may have a large number of abilities to choose from, but have access to only 4 or 5 of those once a combat encounter has started (in other words, needing to reconfigure your character to get those other abilities, or having the additional abilities be situational only).  

I am not sure how fighting games refute my argument, I have played my share of Tekken 3, so I definitely understand how twitch control combos can be used to specify an enormous number of different moves.   But having such a system in an MMO is even more unrealistic and distant  then just Oblivion style combat, because of the reasons stated in the second post of this thread: "latency and collision detection."

Hey, while we are at it we should add some platform gaming style twitch elements to these MMOs.   Who could forget the epic 4-stage raid on Wiley's castle in Megaman 2 ?

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Fallen Earth has a partial FPS style combat system as well,its got a system that is mixed with FPS and hotkey auto aim.  You get to shoot guns where you want, headshots do more damage but I don't think leg shots slow you down.  It would be cool if they would eventually add that if it is possible.  You hit in the general area of where you aim, as in the  bullet will randomly hit somewhere within your crosshairs.

Melee  you click you swing and if your in range and your reticule is on your target you will land a hit. There are grazing shots for both melee and ranged which is cool.  I don't think you can block attack in the game manually like how you can in Oblivion but I'm not sure cuz I'm a rifleman.  

Now with the quick bar some abilities like Mutations if you have someone targeted it will hit them without aiming. But other abilities like smash for melee and one shot one kill for rifle you have to actually aim and hit your target for that ability to work.

Here is a Melee combat video. The fighting starts around 1:10 www.youtube.com/watch

Here is one with Ranged . Skip to around 1:35 to see the action www.youtube.com/watch

I really like FE's combat its been a lot of fun to play so far. There is a 10 day trial. they recently just added some graphical updates so it looks better now. www.fallenearth.com/trial

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Though I have yet to see a game where blocking, swinging and charging attacks meant something in MMO form. That is the hurdle in question.

Ironically, Midkemia Online conquers it perfectly. What's the hitch? It's text-based. =D

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

Like others mentioned, Darkfall has this combat. You can block with a shield, or if you don't have a shield, you can block with your weapons. Check it out, it's a good game. I'm waiting for work to settle down then I'm gonna be jamming out on DF nonstop.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• ValhamaValhama Member Posts: 169

The short answer? Technology. We cannot handle the bandwidth necessary for this kind of combat in a large scale game, yet. Be patient. 

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by uohaloran

/thread

and the fact that to get that kind of system in an MMO would just be such a drain on resources it wouldn't be funny

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• minchet456minchet456 Member Posts: 42

Um. Play The Chronicles of Spellborn.

spellborn.acclaim.com/

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Valhama

The short answer? Technology. We cannot handle the bandwidth necessary for this kind of combat in a large scale game, yet. Be patient. 

Yup and on that day I will drive home in my flying car I was promised on science shows in the 1970/80,s humming a cheerfull tune that tonight I was actualy play an mmo with very realistic combat, sadly by then my arthritis will be so bad I cant move the DAM MOUSE any more, and in my excitment I trip and strangle myself with my pooh sac cord.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Darkfall is an FPS style mmorpg and latency is not an issue for me in Iowa playing on a west coast server.  The graphics and animations do not look that good but it's pure FPS non the less.

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by kruler

Yup and on that day I will drive home in my flying car I was promised on science shows in the 1970/80,s humming a cheerfull tune that tonight I was actualy play an mmo with very realistic combat, sadly by then my arthritis will be so bad I cant move the DAM MOUSE any more, and in my excitment I trip and strangle myself with my pooh sac cord.

Hmm. I see the logic in that. But, think about how everyone was using dial-up just a little over 10 years ago. I remember waiting 1 to 3 days for a 100MB download, which took up 1/5 of my 500MB hard drive....

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by krowxxvii

Originally posted by kruler

Hmm. I see the logic in that. But, think about how everyone was using dial-up just a little over 10 years ago. I remember waiting 1 to 3 days for a 100MB download, which took up 1/5 of my 500MB hard drive....

I,m just jaded as Im in Australia, who has just worked out they need to lay fibre optic over a very large and mostly empty country, and the 43 billion dollars is making everyone nervous, so in short gonna be 10 flaming year for Oz before decent cable quailty broadband gets done, maybe longer if some of the backward pollies who believe gamers are evil, and dial up is fine for emails have their way.