Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I play a single player game within the first 10-15 minutes...

If there's no lengthy tutorial, I can tell if the game is any good and if I like it or not within the first 10-15 minutes.

The same can be applied to an MMORPG, just double or triple the time. If an MMORPG is not fun, or your not having a good time at all within the first 3 hours, the game is no good in my opinion. It's not going to magically change it's entire dynamics and gameplay after 30 -80 hours of play. Sure there's raiding etc but the core game mechanics are still the major aspect of that experience, which can all be experienced within most MMORPG's within the first 3 hours.

When I played Ultima Online ( My first MMORPG ) within the first 10-20 minutes I was having a good time and enjoying the game. The same with Everquest.

So I really believe that's a myth that a game will get good much later down the road from a lot of playing.

Plus, and this is a big plus, if your not enjoying those first 3 hours at all, how can you justify playing a game for another 30+ hrs and within all that time you hated playing it?

The core game mechanics are open to be experienced by all, if the core game mechanics suck, then the game is always going to suck.

It's a gaming myth.

Comments

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I agree, with the caveat that I only agree if a game's gameplay is consistent.

For example, through most of WOW's lifespan it's been two separate games: solo leveling and grouping.  I feel this was one of the biggest mistakes Blizzard made -- not that soloing was viable, but that it was the only viable way to level.(Thankfully the recent cross-server grouping patch totally fixed this issue.)

So you could get ~300 hours into WOW, reach level 56, and never know that just around the corner the game took a dramatic turn for the better, and potentially quit before seeing it.  (Which is exactly what I did when I first started with WOW, then came back after a 4 month break.)

So again, I agree that you should be able to tell if you like a game in the first few hours.  I feel that it's bad to do things like WOW did, where 300 hours into the game things dramatically changed.  Cross-server matchmaking was a big improvement which fixed the majority of this issue (you still have raiding, but that's similar enough to grouping that it's not pulling the rug from beneath players.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

This obviously does not apply to Metal Gear games and you won't see actually gameplay for about a half and hour. Then again, if you don't like the first 15 minutes because of cutscenes, you will no doubt hate the rest. So maybe there actually is merit to this.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I can tell if a MMO is good or not within 1 hour.

Of course I will play my free month just to make sure, but I am never wrong.

And I believe everyone do the same.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

In a general sense, im quite good at figuring out what a game will be like after a month and how the end game would be just by playing a day but no i have to disagree on ditching games after 15 minutes because some of the best games ive played don't have much going in the beginning. Actually now that i think of it, bioware games are usually quite straightforward in the beginning and the real fun starts after a few hours of gameplay.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

I really thought I would come in here and have to disagree....but i can't..won't

People spout this drivel about how you can't know a game without playing for (insert annoying amount of time here).

+1 Subby and most all who responded

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Redfalcon351Redfalcon351 Member Posts: 11

I agree with the OP as well. If you aren't having fun in any game, MMO or single player within the first couple hours. Doubtfully you will find much enjoyment as the game goes on. As for an MMO, if I don't enjoy it within the first few hours...why should I torture myself to continue playing for 50-60 hours untill I get to the 'good stuff' in the game.

Personally I have gone all for free trials. For both MMOs and single player games. I am sick of wasting money on games that look good, sound exciting and hyped up only to find a boring dull game.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Somethings you have to give more time.   Take books and movies for example, there are books and movies out there that have slow starts but get better as you progress.  Most authors and directors put every effort into making the beginning really good though.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• Game-WolfGame-Wolf Member Posts: 100

i will play a MMO for 2 months before i decide if i like it or not.. i think thats a fair amount of time to give a new game that you haven't played...

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I agree. This applies to most movies as well. I can tell a good movie within the first 15 minutes.

I knew Fallout 3 was a great game in the first 2 minutes..

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Axehilt

I agree, with the caveat that I only agree if a game's gameplay is consistent.
    For example, through most of WOW's lifespan it's been two separate games: solo leveling and grouping.  I feel this was one of the biggest mistakes Blizzard made -- not that soloing was viable, but that it was the only viable way to level.(Thankfully the recent cross-server grouping patch totally fixed this issue.)
    So you could get ~300 hours into WOW, reach level 56, and never know that just around the corner the game took a dramatic turn for the better, and potentially quit before seeing it.  (Which is exactly what I did when I first started with WOW, then came back after a 4 month break.)
    So again, I agree that you should be able to tell if you like a game in the first few hours.  I feel that it's bad to do things like WOW did, where 300 hours into the game things dramatically changed.  Cross-server matchmaking was a big improvement which fixed the majority of this issue (you still have raiding, but that's similar enough to grouping that it's not pulling the rug from beneath players.)

LOL .. i am just going to point out that you are wrong and you already covered that.

I found that doing random dungeon with teh cross-server grouping tool levels MUCH faster than doing quests on my L75+ pally. That is a very welcomed change. I intend to use that more for my low level toons too. Finally, grouping does not start at max levels.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    What about games with crazy learning curves?

I know Eve takes a bit to learn for most people and the process could be frustrating.
    Other games are like this.

People have complain about old school rpgs the same way. They start off so slowly that sometimes it takes a bit to fully understand a game.

While I respect your opinion on the subject I feel strongly that this doesnt apply to all games.

I know I would of personally missed out on many truly epic games if I toss them in the bin or uninstalled the first 10-15 minutes because the game was slow.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by uquipu

Somethings you have to give more time.   Take books and movies for example, there are books and movies out there that have slow starts but get better as you progress.  Most authors and directors put every effort into making the beginning really good though.

With MMOs is more about the game mechanics and type of game play rather than content

So if you do not like the way the game plays, usually you won't like it 1 month later, even if the content is decent

I do play Darkfall, the first thing I came across was the ackward UI, even if I didn't like it at first from the beginning I liked the way the game played..............in short I was having fun and was excited.

If you any of this withing the first couple of hours, probably the game ain't for you, no point in wasting more time.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

This is one thing Funcom did right with AoC. They made the first 20 levels fun and polished (compared to the rest of the game). Hook the fish. Yet people warn their friends not to play AoC because of the game after level 20. If your thinking applied, you'd sub to the game based on Tortage (which is what many people did).

The real "rule" to follow is simply play until you decide not to. For most people, that's when they stop having fun - most, but not all. EVE, for example, may take some time to enjoy. But, for those who decide to wait, there are great benefits.