Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dengeki Games Interview

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Oh, loving this interview...many speculations from earlier have become much more clear, especially about the magic system and its so damn nice to know that the active/passive & linking aggro system in all its full glory of FFXI will be back with new twists. I like also that even upon char creation they're making it so players look different based on starting equip too. Oh and yeah dark dungeons that will require a light source...hell yeah!!

It would appear that Banzoku are the general name for the Beastmen races this time..me like!

Source...

Q.How much of the game will players be able to experience in the beta?

A.We started at about 10% of the final product with the playable Alpha version and are ultimately trying to perfect the underlying game system. The bulk of the game won't be made public until the retail version is out.

??Will the servers be named after summons like in FFXI?

??There's no doubt we'll use names familiar to any FF fan, but the scheme will be a little different than FFXI.

??What can you tell us about the transition from the Beta to the final version or about world transfers in general?

??Once service starts, we want to make it so you can move along with the friends you make during the Beta to the same world. As for world transfers, that may be a possibility in the future, with some limitations probably.

??Does the main story concern the Eorzeans and Garleans battling over the continent of Aldenard?

??At first, the story will open in Eorzea, that is, the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands. However, the Garlean Empire is based on another, larger continent.

??What part does the mysterious power (Echo) or the crystals play in the story?

??They serve as the basis for the whole story. We want you to discover the truth behind this as the story unfolds during play.

??Will Chocobos make an appearance?

??Of course! However, we are still exploring ways for us to use them in a unique way compared with FFXI.

??We've only seen airships being as army warships so far, but will there be any that adventurers can ride?

??Of course there will be vehicles to transport adventurers around, but you'll have to wait a little longer for the details.

??Give us the highlights on character creation.

??We've focused on really allowing the player the freedom to make any kind of character they would like, and designed them to be a much more natural fit with the game world. Depending on your class, even your starting equipment will be different.

??Can you change the age of your character?

??There are no age settings, but to some extent you can alter their appearance to look more experienced.

??So, your starting equipment changes based on the class you choose?

??Starting equipment does change based on your class? However, the equipment you wear from then on is completely the choice of the player.

??How is the magic system?

??Magic is classified by levels and by the school the spell is from. For example, spells that serve the same function (e.g. heal HP) might have a different level of potency, an area of effect, longer casting time or higher MP cost depending on the school of magic the spell is from.

**Translator's note: The answer used very general terminology, but it appears to reference how a healing spell can be classified as Cure I, Cure II, Cure III under White Magic, or at the same time, Pollen under Blue Magic. So there are different levels and different schools that refer to the same function.

??Will there be any familiar spells that didn't make their way into FFXI?

??While there will be familiar spells from the Final Fantasy series, a lot of the magic that didn't make it into FFXI simply can't be used in an MMO. If it's too difficult to work in an MMO environment, we can't say it'll appear.

??Can classes other than Disciples of Magic use magic? Also, can Disciples of Magic use swords or other weapons?

??Classes are somewhat pre-defined, but that isn't to say there won't be the possibility as you continue to level and grow your character.

??Does magic use up TP?

??At this time there are still many things yet to be fully examined.

??Are there times when you have to light your way through a dungeon?

??There are places that will be very dark, but at this time we are considering the need for any torches or illumination magic.

??Will there be seamless movement between dungeons and fields?

??Yes. Adventurers can travel seamlessly from bright, sun-bathed fields to the deepest and darkest of dungeons.

??Will monsters behave similarly to FFXI, with Active and Passive types, different ways to sense players, linking, and all that?

??Of course, there will be many monsters romping around in field zones. The behavior elements from FFXI will be used again, but there will also be other unique elements the can determine a monster's behavior, like herd mentality or environmental factors.

??Will Banzoku simply attack any and all humanoid characters without prejudice?

??They are human as well, so naturally there are some who wish for peace, or some who are traitors to their kind. There are some who may even be willing to do business with players.

??Are there monsters that will fight each other?

??In the beginning, we came up with something like a food chain system, and it may end up in the game in some form or another.

??When you think Final Fantasy, you think summons, so...

??They'll make an appearance. However, they take on a role closer to that of being gods. There will be more than a few hurdles to get over before you can secure their aid.

??Do the Banzoku have classes as well?

??Just like humans, they have a unique culture and society, and they will have classes they excel at.

??Will we see popular monsters such as the Mandragora?

??You can look forward to seeing more than a few of your favorites from FFXI in the game.

Screw it, fixed it twice, but when I post it, the Q and A change to ??

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Neato. That's cool stuff. The food chain things would be nice in there.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Lots of good information. Certainly looking forward to playing. The best information I thought was this..

??Yes. Adventurers can travel seamlessly from bright, sun-bathed fields to the deepest and darkest of dungeons.

See that ? Travel seamlessly. I'm already sold.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Lots of good information. Certainly looking forward to playing. The best information I thought was this..

See that ? Travel seamlessly. I'm already sold.

well that was kind of already old news, they said a while ago they would have alot more seamless travel from towns to outside and such. They mentioned that the sections of seamless-ness would be as big as one full region of FFXI (which is quite big). 

A lot of the info here is a bit vauge. you do get some small bits but SE is always very evasive when it comes to giving good details. This ends up bringing just as many new questions as they have answered.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

??So, your starting equipment changes based on the class you choose?

??Starting equipment does change based on your class? However, the equipment you wear from then on is completely the choice of the player.

Thank you Jebus!  I hated that started set of clothes on all races with a passion on XI, especially hume.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

??When you think Final Fantasy, you think summons, so...

??They'll make an appearance. However, they take on a role closer to that of being gods. There will be more than a few hurdles to get over before you can secure their aid.

I wonder if that means there will be no Summoner job at all or if that just means the Summoner will have a hard time getting their pets?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Should also ask what they intend to offer for the rmt...

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by arctarus

Should also ask what they intend to offer for the rmt...

They already stated in a couple older interviews that the special task force from FFXI (a team of people deticated to stopping RMT activity) would be on FF14 from the get go. They are also already about to sue the people (yah i know its a bit late in the game for ff11) who made a bunch of the bots for FFXI, basically warning anyone else who gets caught making/distributing bots will likely be sued. 

It wont be perfect at first but i can bet they will put their foot down right away and stop a lot of RMT stuff and much faster for 14.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Khrymson

A.We started at about 10% of the final product with the playable Alpha version and are ultimately trying to perfect the underlying game system. The bulk of the game won't be made public until the retail version is out. 

Wtf?  No one finds this alarming?  I don't care if I get to see the whole game myself, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that potentially a large portion of the game won't be tested least by a significant portion of others.  I'm not so sure that's real wise on their part.  It opens up the possibility of a lot of bugs, exploits, etc. making it through to release least far as I'm concerned.  Plus, potential engine stability issues and possible dev overlooks that simply make for bad gameplay.  Least in my opinion.

Nice read though overall.  Thanks for the info.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Wtf?  No one finds this alarming?  I don't care if I get to see the whole game myself, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that potentially a large portion of the game won't be tested least by a significant portion of others.

Nope not at all, mainly due to what SE has already done with FFXI for 8 yrs now, and there has never been any betas for any of their expansions or content updates outside of Japan or even their offices that we know of.  Its more than likely done with a ton of internal testers and the devs themselves, or even friends/family of SE, or maybe paid testers...  Anyway, the point is, with every expansion and update to FFXI not once has there been in glaring bugs or huge problems that I recall that were game breaking or stopped anyone from progressing. {Well there was the one time when Castle Zhval had a bug where NMs were able to aggro and hit players through the floors, for a few hrs...that was funny.  It was fixed quickly though!}

I guess since its all focused on PvE and so well unbalanced as it should be, and not having to balance every piece of content with PvP too, not much ever breaks or has the chance too.  I much more prefer to just place complete competence in SE unlike other devs, and they damn sure know how to get things working.  Never do you see things rushed out or incomplete content that barely works and breaks...its just not released unless its all working, and many times if its not ready they clearly say its not ready and it will be added in a later update.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Nope not at all, mainly due to what SE has already done with FFXI for 8 yrs now, and there has never been any betas for any of their expansions or content updates outside of Japan or even their offices that we know of.  Its more than likely done with a ton of internal testers and the devs themselves, or even friends/family of SE, or maybe paid testers...  Anyway, the point is, with every expansion and update to FFXI not once has there been in glaring bugs or huge problems that I recall that were game breaking or stopped anyone from progressing. {Well there was the one time when Castle Zhval had a bug where NMs were able to aggro and hit players through the floors, for a few hrs...that was funny.  It was fixed quickly though!}

I guess since its all focused on PvE and so well unbalanced as it should be, and not having to balance every piece of content with PvP too, not much ever breaks or has the chance too.  I much more prefer to just place complete competence in SE unlike other devs, and they damn sure know how to get things working.  Never do you see things rushed out or incomplete content that barely works and breaks...its just not released unless its all working, and many times if its not ready they clearly say its not ready and it will be added in a later update.

Well, we'll see.  Maybe it is I have just had such a bad experience with some companies that it makes me cringe when a company says that...hehe 

Good to know though.  Thanks.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

yah i wouldnt worry all that much. SE is a giant in the gaming industry so they an probably hire outside offical help to make sure their game works. Like he said FFXI didnt have many problems at all and it didnt show a lot of its game for beta, nor any with expansions. I would much rather have real testers go through the other content for 2 reasons. 1) they know what they are doing and are being paid, so they will be MUCH more  therow (and not whine or complain about features) 2) it saves a lot of suprise. so many people leak beta videos and whatnot these days because of technology and the internet that nothing is really a ...well suprise.

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Wtf?  No one finds this alarming?  I don't care if I get to see the whole game myself, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that potentially a large portion of the game won't be tested least by a significant portion of others.

I much more prefer to just place complete competence in SE unlike other devs, and they damn sure know how to get things working.  Never do you see things rushed out or incomplete content that barely works and breaks...its just not released unless its all working, and many times if its not ready they clearly say its not ready and it will be added in a later update.

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. I have total confidence in the SE development crew. Funny, considering I have virtually zero confidence in any other dev team.

I played thousands of hours of FFXI and never once had an in-game problem (aside from the occasional lag in White View)... ever. I played on PlayStation, so maybe that helped a bit.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Wtf?  No one finds this alarming?  I don't care if I get to see the whole game myself, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that potentially a large portion of the game won't be tested least by a significant portion of others.  I'm not so sure that's real wise on their part.  It opens up the possibility of a lot of bugs, exploits, etc. making it through to release least far as I'm concerned.  Plus, potential engine stability issues and possible dev overlooks that simply make for bad gameplay.  Least in my opinion.

Check the SquareEnix sites for Japan, USA and the EU and you will find under their careers page that they hire in-house testers for their products, and it wouldn't surprise me if they recruit testers from some of the more 'hardcore' Linkshells in FFXI. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Shoju

Check the SquareEnix sites for Japan, USA and the EU and you will find under their careers page that they hire in-house testers for their products, and it wouldn't surprise me if they recruit testers from some of the more 'hardcore' Linkshells in FFXI. 

Well thats nice...who better to test the game in their off time than the ones that designed & coded it all to begin with...hehe