Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can people that pay co exist with people that don't ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Allods sounds like fun, I would love a WoW clone if it were good quality, and a Full game as resent releases are not.

A few months ago I was all set to re - sub to Dungeons and Dragons Online, to find that they were to change it to ftp.  The very first thing that came to mind was how are the paying and non paying costumers going to co exist.

With Allods, I get the same feeling............ Unless you plan on playing solo, how can you expect to group with such a large scale of variables with others being deeply handicapped vs very strong do to spending a lot in cash shops. Unless you have a notation above your head telling others how equipped you are, you just can't know who your inviting to your groups.

I'm my OPINION  and it's just my opinion, I just can't see anyone playing a ftp game for long, paying or not.  It would be like playing WoW, getting a group together for Scarlet Monastery only to find two players show up naked with no weapons !

It would be BULL CRAP to say that you could find everything ingame that you could pay for.  Many people will just not have what it takes anyway ( that just sounds good on paper ).

Maybe a lot of people play mmo's to solo, but I play to group, but that's just me.

Comments

• LayraLayra Member Posts: 10

Having not played either game I am not sure of the finer details, however I would hope in a situation like this that those who are paying for items, can buy items up to  for example grade 3 out of 5. Where getting the higher grade gear (4 and 5) would only be acheivable by playing the game.

However allsorts of other arguments then get thrown into the equation like: "If I pay for the game, I should get better stuff".

Its certainly a good question, makes me want to give the game a go to see how it works.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

From my limited time in this game it is not a WoW clone, it's quite different & more innovative in many ways.

If you want to play something like WoW, play WoW.

As far as DDO, did yyou even try it out or did you just see the F2P flag & decide it must be as bad as all the other F2P games out there?

I can tell you as a DDO player that the game is set up in such a way that there is no "pay to win" in the same way as other games, sure you can buy xp gain items, & very basic rudimentary gear but there is much better that can be gained in game by playing, you can't buy awesome items in the store, the advantages that the P2P or VIP gain is in the wider variety of content that they have access to, which in turn broadens access to items, F2P is very viable & with the game being predominately PvE anyway there's less need to "compete", you level at the pace you want to, be that steady or race to the finish.

I'm not sure how ALLODS item shop will work out, but so far all the developer interviews have been pointing in a convenience/cosmetics direction, which fits the western mindset better than the eastern.

• ArnzenArnzen Member Posts: 10

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to buy an uber sword of doom to pwn all non-payers into merciless submission.  Rather, for those that use the cash shop, there will be more indirect advantages:  better talent spec tweaking (given the complexity of the trees I think the respecs are gonna happen alot), more bag space, exp pots, etc.  I hear you can farm for the items needed for respecs in game, but its a bit of a grind (which it should be, so the 12 hour a day players can still respec without paying as long as enough time is invested).

If I'm not back in five minutes, just wait longer.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

The cash shop which you can look at in game does not have any armor or weapons available or advantageous stat potions.  It does how ever sell money (can easily get in game), backpacks (you can get in game through really hard grinding), costumes, respec potions (which youc an get in game just really hard grinding), and it sells potions that might up your chances at a successful crafting session.    Personally if you fail at crafting then your just horribly ineffecient at the mini game.

Some of the best gear in game comes from Reputation gear which you start earning right at level 1. (this of course does not count the end game gear since I've not gotten to thsoe areas yet).  You'll earn rep gear from various factions in every area of the game it seems you'll gain new gear this way every 5 levels or so.   There's also atleast 1 - 2 raid mobs in every zones including the noobie zone.  The mob doesnt' drop anything but the quest to kill that mob gives you some really nice green or blue choices.    

Really the only way someone might get an advantage over you is the gold buying feature if the price is cheap enough.  Now after luanch if they pull a Runes of Magic then it might get kinda ugly since RoM started out ok but then the company got Uber Greedy with the shop and made it impossible to play without the shop.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by banthis

The cash shop which you can look at in game does not have any armor or weapons available or advantageous stat potions.  It does how ever sell money (can easily get in game), backpacks (you can get in game through really hard grinding), costumes, respec potions (which youc an get in game just really hard grinding), and it sells potions that might up your chances at a successful crafting session.    Personally if you fail at crafting then your just horribly ineffecient at the mini game.
    Some of the best gear in game comes from Reputation gear which you start earning right at level 1. (this of course does not count the end game gear since I've not gotten to thsoe areas yet).  You'll earn rep gear from various factions in every area of the game it seems you'll gain new gear this way every 5 levels or so.   There's also atleast 1 - 2 raid mobs in every zones including the noobie zone.  The mob doesnt' drop anything but the quest to kill that mob gives you some really nice green or blue choices.    
    Really the only way someone might get an advantage over you is the gold buying feature if the price is cheap enough.  Now after luanch if they pull a Runes of Magic then it might get kinda ugly since RoM started out ok but then the company got Uber Greedy with the shop and made it impossible to play without the shop.

Thanks banthis, great reply :)