Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dvd rom drive x20 vs blue ray drive x4

gaara168gaara168 Member UncommonPosts: 47

ok im building my computer on cyberpowerpc.com ani cant rely decide what would be better a dvd rom drive x20 or a blu ray drive x4 that adds 35 dollars to the price.i wont watch blu rays at all actually cause i watch everything online.but the onl thing thats bothering me is when will pc game companys start using blu discs thats the only thing thats bugging me an hidering ym decision an also what about if someone decides to make a ps3 emulator?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The only thing a blu-ray disc brings to a computer if you aren't interested in graphics quality of a movie is storage capacity. And it's added capacity isn't enough to warrant the majority of game companies to use it over an extra DVD disc. DVDs took over from CD only because they store 5 to 10 times more data than do CDs. The only games that even come close to filling a blu-ray disc are MMORPGs.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I would go with the DVD player.  If you don't plan to watch blue-ray movies then there is little point in investing in one at this time. It's still about 5 to 10 years to early to worry about games coming out on blue-ray and such.

Also its going to be atleast another 5 years before the first PS3 emulators hit the market. Emulating the PS3 hardware isn't a easy task. It's taken all of this time just to get a fully working PS2 emulator that has ok speeds to it. Now imagine having to have twice the power to run a PS3 emulator.  It's going to be awhile.

Also keep in mind with blue-ray drives if you want to play a blue-ray movie on your PC you have to be fully HDCP compliant. Aka your Video card has to support HDCP, Your monitor has to support HDCP, and your OS has to support HDCP.

• gaara168gaara168 Member UncommonPosts: 47

yea thats true so in the end its alot more work then its worth to have no useful ness besides watchen movies an ic an jsut watch that on line with good quality an the ps3 hign was me jsut kinda over thinking things lol but thanks for the help guys

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Most Blu-Ray ROM drives have DVD-ROM capabilities.  Its not really a worthwhile investment as it doesn't have writing capabilities and you don't watch Blu-Ray movies.  However, if you ever become obsessed with Picture Quality it could be something useful.

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219
    jus wanted to say that i just recently received the pc i ordered off of cyberpowerpc and their customer service was really great. phillip yu is the guy if something happens to talk to.
  • gaara168gaara168 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Focus*Bankai

jus wanted to say that i just recently received the pc i ordered off of cyberpowerpc and their customer service was really great. phillip yu is the guy if something happens to talk to.

thanks for the advice man