Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW, LOTR OR AOC?

Comments

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by willvas

Originally posted by Chieftan

Originally posted by Jeger_Wulf

Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

Man - I'm going to come accross as a fanbois here, but I can't let this stand. I'm fine with WoW graphics - the cartoony aspect grows on you. However, LotRO blows it out of the water.

Game play isn't a WoW clone at all. It's a typical MMO, but no more a clone of WoW, then it is of EQ, UO or any other fantasy, questng MMO.

I had never played a MMO that sent you from one quest NPC to the next until I played WoW beta.  So yes I'm going to say LOTR is a WoW clone when the gameplay is very similar.  Also the difficulty level and all classes being able to solo is very similar to WoW.  Those concepts were unheard of before WoW went into open beta.

Graphics are subjective but the wolves in the starting area look pretty cheap compared to anything in WoW. 

Horizons had it... asherons call 2... all out before WOW.

WOW has nothing original in its game but making the game entirely a theme park.  where horizons and and AC2 were more sandboxish

themeparks>sandbox. Dont come here and think you can insult wow by calling it a themepark.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

You will not get an unbiased answer on these forums. The best advice is  try the other two out and choose the one which feels right  for you.

These will get you started

http://www.ageofconan.com/trial/

https://trial.turbine.com/lotro.php

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by mkafna

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

I would suggest taking a break from WoW until Cataclysm launches. Play and enjoy whatever you want until then.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

in wow... the real game doesn't start until lvl 80 

I disagree. Being 80 is fun and all, but there's alot more to do on the way up, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by arenasb

Originally posted by Josher

If you go from WOW to LOTR you're going to be instantly shocked at how much more boring to play it is.  Boring classes, boring races and combat will seem more simplistic and blah.  The environments will be prettier but they will NOT be more creative.   WOW's combat and control is just heads and tails above anything LOTR can offer and thats what you'll be doing most of the time anyway, unless you just enjoy chatting in town for hours.  But you can do that in any game.  If you want to pay $15 a month to play virtual music play LOTR;)

I totally disagree with this. I went from WoW to LotRO and I have found LotRO much more engaging. LotRO introduces skills slowly, so in the early levels, play is pretty simple. You keep getting significant new skills as you level and pretty soon combat is head-and-shoulders above WoW (IMO.)  There is a reason LotRO has been rated so high for so long - it's one of the best.

LotRO has many great features but in my opinion combat is not one of them. I feel LotRO is a game that you go into to experience. The world, campaign quests, and the overall environment is fantastic. If you enjoy a journey I think LotRO would be the game for you. If you are just a bottom line or end game person than WoW is probably your best bet.

Yeah, LoTR does sound very appealing. It's just hard for me to play the good guy. I"ve always been drawn to the darker races.

• KalefenKalefen Member Posts: 57

I don't want you to think I'm just some 19 year old in his mom's basement posting an opinion.  I have 4 undergraduate degrees  in liberal arts (psych, philo, history (medieval focus), and an 8 course minor in English Lit (which I loved). I did this as a prep (expensive one at that) for Law School because I wanted to be well rounded.  I was divorced in my first year of Law School (lmao right?) and ended up getting a master's degree in education instead (social studies/qualified to handle spec. edu. as well). 

I've played every mmorpg that has made it to a shelf at a computer store since 1999 (EQ1 & 2, UO, Asheron's Call1 &2 (R.I.P.), Dark age of Camelot, Horizons, SWG, Shadowbane, WoW, LOTRO,  Age of Conan, Warhammer, and  a few more from download, countless Asian Grinders, Free to Plays (blah), etc...

And, I'm 40.  Okay - ready for my opinion? :)

----------------------------------

WoW is in my opinion a continuation of the Everquest model of mmorpg manufacturing - minus in depth character races and classes since EQ1 by far surpasses most mmorpgs in that regard other than Dark Age of Camelot. The best community you can get at your level on your dwarf (especially if you aren't on one of the last true RP servers in the mmorpg genre which is Moonguard)  is the influx of people who have /55'd a Death Knight. 

So, in WoW, other than keeping your dungeon group request running, you are solo all the way to 80.  At 80, you will be told that you need to do the same daily quests as often as you can to make gold, then you will constantly look for dungeon groups, then, heroic versions of those dungeon groups as your gear improves. I left wow after 1 80 hunter, 1 70 mage, 1 78 paladin, 1 73 rogue, 6 level 60s....played on both realms.

I just couldn't handle the fact that no matter how long I played, all it took was 1 expansion pack to make the entire game start the grind all over again. In stead of expanding depth with what they had at 60 and continuously fleshing out and broadening the complexity of the game - they made it easier and easier - and ended up slashing old zones just by making new higher level ones. 

You will then build a tank set of gear, and a DPS set of gear, possibly an off tank combination of both or just tank and dps - depends on opinion etc.  Eventually you might eb able to qualify for a pick up group that picks random people from the crowd of many to get into real end game instancing.  However, without good ventrillo communication, and people able to follow the directions of where to stand, what to attack, when to attack, what ability to use and when, on queue, you will get wiped often - and did I meantion you will get wiped often. This gets very frustrating and expensive.  Sometimes (oftentimes) people will point fingers at each other - someone *usually a healer or main tank will suddenly have to leave or go link dead never to return again.

As the months go by of these combination events i.e., heroic dungeon farming for the gear that qualifies you to perform your role in the beginning parts of various intermediate dungeons, you will eventually build two things. 

1. The only way to experience all of WoW end game is to have gear that supports your dps rating, resilience, rating, what have you (there are a number of ratings you might need depending on class and roll/specialization of that class).  This means you will be unable to experience most of end game pve because you will not be able to tank/off tank/dps at respectable levels and the group will  wipe more consistently than before in a PUG event.  Hence, you will grind the heck out of pve and work your way up the "I am geared" food chain. So part 1 is - you need to build up your gear to get pre-req dps/resilience/and otherwise ratings to the expectations of a particular raid event.

2.  You will build a reputation as someone who is friendly, takes advice well, works with a team spirit and is ... all about the team.  The old phrase; there is no I in team supports the WoW mentality in a many ways. 

If you fail at either 1 or 2, you'll be little known and even more quickly forgotten.  If you do not mind spending 3+ nights per week locked into 4+ hours of raiding where you rarely if ever cancel or leave before the end of the raid, then you have a chance to qualify with a raid guild.  This is usually a group of people who you can usually spot prancing around Goldshire or Stormwind in the best gear in the game. These guilds quickly replace and or forget you if you are not 100% on their schedule. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestion is if you like PVE enough to be in WoW - then you might as well go to Lord of the Rings Online (might I suggest Landroval is it as a nice server with mature players who pick actual names from the lore vs say - Ipeedmypands the warrior you get Andromas the warrior, etc.).  LOTRO has a pvp mini game that deals with the Ettenmoors - a place where you can log in an end level monster and do little quests and pvp on against LOTRO free people players (anyone who isn't a  monster).  This is called PvM or player vs monster. Creeps v Freeps as they are called battle for a type of honor point system and whatnot. It's in no way Dark Age of Camelot organized realm warfare but it's better than 18 of the same race class combos beating each other up in a field somewhere and youtube posting that as pvp.

LOTRO is beautiful, your dwarf warrior is arguably much more believable there and valuable (druids and death knights won't replace you in LOTRO for tanking though a Warden might hehe)...And you are in the home of where high fantasy was first coined~!  Why play the replica when you can play the original right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Age of Conan only has 3 races...since inception and seems to care little to expand past that.  It's built on potentially wonderful lore in the Robert Ervin Howard model of fantasy (Conan novels were inspired by his pen pal - H.P. Lovecraft (i.e., Call of Cthulu).  AoC is a rough and tumble world that has a wonderful 1-20 game.  It's very fun at that point.  After 1-20 you can choose various zones to level up in, i.e., Cimmeria, Stygia, Acquilonia, (based on the three races). You have a destiny questline as well that you follow - that explains your unique purpose since your initial shipwreck on Tortage Island (when you were level 1).

If you play on a pvp server - you'll feel what it's like to be farmed near non stop by your own all 3 race class combinations ad naseum.  In a guild your own guild mates can't hurt you - but everyone else will. Hence, the lore is busted, because for one, as a priest of Mitra (as an example) another priest of Mitra outside your guild can and will attack you (they are a lawful abiding peace loving religion according to the books).  As a necromancer of Stygia, you can run through Cimmeria, the land of the northmen where Conan originally hailed from, where magic in any form other than Shamantic is seen as evil, and summon all your undead minions in front of guards and not even get looked at.

The combat system in conan is unique  - you will want a mouse with 2 side buttons so you can program strafing without having to use your keyboard hand which you will want to use for controling directional commands for your attacks. You do have critical effects in combat, like electrocuting and enemy to death (player or npc), or beheading, or throat slicing, or delimbing someone - which is cool but gets to be meh after a few months.

End game has a very water down version of Dark Age of Camelot's castle siege system.  Again, unlike Dark Age, where cultures that fought each other were different on a battlefield, in AoC you'll have the same 3 race guilds killing the same 3 race guilds.  So everyone basically looks the same other than their name being red above their head.

So that's Conan - in my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of those 3 mmorpgs I definitely say LOTRO - especially if you like pve- and Landroval isa nice server. If you don't care about just a few races and lore you never read about and you like a complex pvp system than AoC fills that for you.  They have a decent pve server left with some folks so you might enjoy that as well.

In AoC you won't feel alone since it's smaller more zoned and especially on a pvp server people will be killing you anyway. In LoTRO you'll feel like you are soloing most the time like you did in WoW - because even more restrictive is LOTRO due to their chapter/quest system being so segmented.  So you won't get poo for xp if you aren't on the same exact part of a quest with a LOTRO buddy.  Luckily you can hit a button and see who else is on your quest! How cool is that?

Personally though - I won't play any of these games.  I enjoy organized pvp - closest I can get these days is Warhammer which - well - I don't want to be more negative about them - they've been through the pooper on issues.  LOTRO is a pretty game - you really might be best off with that.

/salute and I hope this helps you

• KalefenKalefen Member Posts: 57

Just curious for the sake of the O.P. as to where the thread posters here are coming from :)

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Andr4599  

themeparks>sandbox. Dont come here and think you can insult wow by calling it a themepark.

Why not?  Since when is it inappropriate to call something what it actually is, like 6 Flags being a Themepark, just as wow is? There's nothing to be ashamed of.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

themeparks>sandbox for people that prefer themeparks over sandboxes.

Fixed.

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

if you have a crap computer stick with wow, if the graphics turn you off like it did for me move to Aion.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by junzo316

I had never played a MMO that sent you from one quest NPC to the next until I played WoW beta.  So yes I'm going to say LOTR is a WoW clone when the gameplay is very similar.  Also the difficulty level and all classes being able to solo is very similar to WoW.  Those concepts were unheard of before WoW went into open beta.
    Graphics are subjective but the wolves in the starting area look pretty cheap compared to anything in WoW. 

This isn't true.  CoH had  NPC questing and it came out 6 months or so before WoW and you also had the ability to solo to max.  Everything didn't start with WoW.  Not saying it started with CoH either just pointing to it as an example.

No I think a very large portion of MMO gameplay that we see now and LOTR included started with WoW. 

Blizzard was so far ahead of the curve that developers were pillaging their ideas while it was still in beta.  They should have patented their damn interface.  EQ2 was overhauled twice--once after WoW open beta started and again after it launched as SOE scrambled to keep up with Blizzard.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Originally posted by Chieftan

This isn't true.  CoH had  NPC questing and it came out 6 months or so before WoW and you also had the ability to solo to max.  Everything didn't start with WoW.  Not saying it started with CoH either just pointing to it as an example.

No I think a very large portion of MMO gameplay that we see now and LOTR included started with WoW. 

Blizzard was so far ahead of the curve that developers were pillaging their ideas while it was still in beta.  They should have patented their damn interface.  EQ2 was overhauled twice--once after WoW open beta started and again after it launched as SOE scrambled to keep up with Blizzard.

I guess it's all opinion with regard to that. IMO it all started with Dungeons and Dragons in Wisconsin. Ultima, then Wizardry brought it to the PC. Various MMOs were made, but EverQuest was the biggest early one. WoW copied existing MMOs and made improvements, but nothing really earthshaking (except it was made by Blizzard.) You are free to disagree. :P

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I can't speak for AoC, but otherwise, it depends on what you want as an MMORPG gamer.

Both WoW and LoTRO are two games that are both geared more towards the casual player with a relatively quick leveling curve, tons of solo content, and PvE, which for awhile at least, is relatively easy.  LoTRO pretty much mimics WoW as far as the leveling curve goes as you'll be moving from quest hub to quest hub quest grinding your way to the level cap.  The main difference in regards to leveling may stem from the fact that you'll simply have more choices on where to level per leveling range in WoW as the world is far larger.  Each time you level a character in LoTRO, you'll pretty much be sticking to the same path for every toon as there aren't as many zones per level range, and the book quests (which you'll want to do in order to progress the story) take you from zone to zone.

Combat wise, you already know what combat is like in WoW, but I found combat in LoTRO to be slow and unresponsive.  I don't know what it is, but it seems like there's always a seconds delay or so after I click every skill for some unknown reason.  Skill responsiveness aside, the overall pace of combat is much slower and less flashy.  Classes in LoTRO also have many skills (so far the majority for my 27 guardian) which are only activated after another attack lands or your character blocks an attack.  It felt very odd, and I didn't like having so many unusable skills on my hotbar.

The biggest difference, however, will most likely be the endgame. Most people will tell you WoW doesn't even begin until 80, which is true in many ways.  I don't have a WoW toon currently at that level range, but I have many friends in college who have 80s in WoW, and I've seen a great deal of the content they take their 80s through.  There is a plethora of dungeons of all difficulties and raids of all sizes which await you in WoW as opposed to LoTRO which few play because of its endgame.  From what I read, there aren't a great deal of endgame instances and even fewer raids as the game is mostly about your journey to the cap, which is at 65 instead of 80.

For a more personal opinion, after growing tired of EQ2 day after day, I recently tried LoTRO and initially enjoyed it, but the more I played and read about it, the more I thought I was wasting my time.  I'm not an endgame nut, but when I level to the cap, I like having fun things to do, and from what I read about LoTRO, there isn't a whole lot of content variety at 65.  Also, with WoW's dungeon finder (what little time I spent with it) I found that groups, even at the mid level ranges come relatively fast, which adds a whole new social aspect to WoW which it never had previously until the cap.  In LoTRO, I know I don't play on the most populated server, but I rarely even see people level 65 shouting LFG  on the global LFG channel much less anyone around my level forming a group for anything.  Lastly, LoTRO has a trait system where if you do some repetitive task, your character gets a bonus ability which you can put in a little slot on your character.  It looked to me sort of like WoW's talent tree or EQ2's AA ability tree only with a lot less skills and game mechanics which make you grind for each specific ability.  Say, for example, kill 500 orcs to receive a +5 bonus in Stamina or use taunt 500 times to get a reduced cast time.  There's also a bit of a gear grind, or so I hear, with the radiant gear that the playerbase seems to despise.  

All in all, I'd say if you're the type of player who wants a game with more realistic graphics (still a bit cartoonish), an overarching story you can actively participate in, a player who prefers soloing, and you feel MMORPGs are more about the journey than the end, give LoTRO a look, but if you enjoy running dungeons and want your character to have something to do at the end game, keep trudging along in WoW.

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

Man - I'm going to come accross as a fanbois here, but I can't let this stand. I'm fine with WoW graphics - the cartoony aspect grows on you. However, LotRO blows it out of the water.

Game play isn't a WoW clone at all. It's a typical MMO, but no more a clone of WoW, then it is of EQ, UO or any other fantasy, questng MMO.

Horizons had it... asherons call 2... all out before WOW.

WOW has nothing original in its game but making the game entirely a theme park.  where horizons and and AC2 were more sandboxish

temper temper.... did i magically hurt your feelings or something?  You consider calling WOW a theme park insulting?  anyway, go get some psychiatric help if it is a problem to you calling it a theme park.  Because it is a theme park and i would say they do it well... too many games have tried copying it and have failed...

so technically i wouldnt call theme parks>sandbox.  sandbox leaves you with more things to do... theme parks can get old and stale after awhile... you need a new ride each year to keep it interesting.. IE.  EXPANSIONS.

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

i truly hope you are kidding... you do realize that many and i do mean MANY MMOs were out before WOW.  AC1... EQ... UO... AC2... DAOC... Horizons... Shadowbane... SWG... AO... etc etc... dont need to keep going...

but are you saying all these MMOs copied WOW?  EQ started in what 1999?  or 1998... dont remember but i know it was in the late 90s... before that was meridian... but sadly its closing its doors.  they copied WOW too?  LOL  dont be rediculous that WOW was teh starter.  Because it wasnt.  and if you want a game that was ahead of its time...

its ASHERONS CALL 2.. the graphics to this day still blow many current games out of the water... shoreline effects.. grass that blows in the wind... motion moving grass and water... dont know if any of you even remember what the game was like.. but it was so far advanced for its time period.  your character got all bloody as he got closer to death... etc.    Hell there was a 3rd disk for that game that was for the most advanced computers that hardly anybody back in the day installed because their computers couldnt take the graphics. 

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
      Quest/Lore Graphics/Animation Design/Style PvP Community Crafting Customization Endgame
    Age of Conan 4 8 9 4 4 3 4 5
    Lord of the Rings online 7 8 10 2 8 6 8 6
    World of Warcraft 7 6 7 7 5 6 4 8

(All IMO, perfect 10's for each category are: Quest Quality: EQ 2, Graphics: none, Design/Style: LotRO, PvP: DaoC, Community: EvE, Crafting: early SWG, Customization: CoX, Endgame: EvE)

Make an informed choice *g*

EDIT : oh perfect ten btw doesn't mean "as good as it could ever get" but "best there is at the moment"

• ConavarConavar Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Ozreth

lotro. great community, great pve, great lore, great graphics, great dev team, mediocre pvp but at least its there to feed the urge. Also, havent played in awhile but the new skirmish system is getting really good reviews.

WoW is FAR past its prime, nothing fun left to do in that game, its pretty mind numbing. In my opinion at least.
    AoC seems to be getting better as the months go by, Id give it some more time though.

From your perspective maybe, but as the OP is at lvl 56 then there is stil plenty to do. Whilst I agree that 'end-game' is a big focus, I always feel that it is ignoring the rest of the game.

At lvl 56 you obviously have played through quite a lot of the older content and I'd recommend carrying on with that. Forget what happens at lvl 80 until you get to lvl 80. With the new grouping system there is ample opportunity to work your way through the content available to you, and once you get into the expansion areas you'll see a lot of improvements graphically. I dont actually play wow atm, but its the game I have gotten the most out of.

There is nothing wrong with either of your other choices  though. LOTRO is a beautiful looking game, with plenty of content. Conan has a different style of combat to either wow or lotro so is worth a look.

Am I right in thinking that Free trials are available for both?

Common sense is not a Sixth sense

• fearless47fearless47 Member UncommonPosts: 34

My advice....

Before jumping ship on your current MMO, try figuring out exactly what it is that is making you feel bored.

Is it because you can not find others to group with?

If this is the case –

1)Try joining a guild that has active characters around your lvl.

2)Talk a friend into playing the game with you

3)Find a girlfriend/boyfriend that likes to play MMO's.

Is it because you do not like your character ?(too slow to lvl, not enough attacks,etc..)

1)Roll another character

2)Ask higher lvl players which classes lvl faster or are more enjoyable.

3)Look on the forums, see what abilities and pluses and minuses each class offers

Do you hate the game play mechanics or graphics?

1)This would be the time to look for another game. It is very doubtful that these two items will change.

The list goes on. But once you narrow that down, then you can figure out if staying in your current game is worth it by making some changes or if you need to move on.

If it is lack of people at your lvl, then your best bet is to just take a break from the game until the next WoW expansion comes out and and people start working their way with the new classes up to your lvl, then restart your account or wait till STOR (Star wars or some other MMO starts up and create a new character. The other games you have listed have been around for awhile and you most likely will have the same problem at lower lvls unless you have friends to play with.

If it is gameplay or mechanics, I would suggest trying the free trials on each game when you can devote a decent amount of time within the trails period to make sure that you like the game before paying money for a sub.

It could be that you just need a break, you can always cancel your account and then resub at a later time.

Anyway, just switching without knowing the reason why you are bored, tends to lead to you just being bored in another MMO. As far as what game should you play, whatever one gives you the most enjoyment.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I would either stick with WoW or give LotR a go.  AoC is completely lackluster compared to those two games at least as far as PvE goes.  I mean it isn't even close.

Still, judge for yourself.  Both games you haven't tried yet, AoC and LotR, have a free trial so I would try them out on your own and see which you like better.  One thing to note however if you do is pending on the trial you do for AoC the bulk of the game does not play like Tortage - the starter zone.  Tortage gives the feel that the game is very story oriented, which is not the case for the game as a whole once you leave that area.  Just a little fyi for those that might think Tortage is how the majority of the game plays for better or worse.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I would either stick with WoW or give LotR a go.  AoC is completely lackluster compared to those two games at least as far as PvE goes.  I mean it isn't even close.
    Still, judge for yourself.  Both games you haven't tried yet, AoC and LotR, have a free trial so I would try them out on your own and see which you like better.  One thing to note however if you do is pending on the trial you do for AoC the bulk of the game does not play like Tortage - the starter zone.  Tortage gives the feel that the game is very story oriented, which is not the case for the game as a whole once you leave that area.  Just a little fyi for those that might think Tortage is how the majority of the game plays for better or worse.

I found the Dungeons of AoC quite good. In reality, I have found most of the pve quests in all of the games pretty darn boring (with a few exceptions such as Lotro's campaign quests). Most involve killing boars, rabbits, bears for their hides, heads, legs or whatever. If you have those kind of quests you might as well have good combat that you enjoy playing and the best combat, at least melee, is AoC.

• Originally posted by SuperXero89

Combat wise, you already know what combat is like in WoW, but I found combat in LoTRO to be slow and unresponsive.  I don't know what it is, but it seems like there's always a seconds delay or so after I click every skill for some unknown reason. 
     Skill responsiveness aside, the overall pace of combat is much slower and less flashy.  Classes in LoTRO also have many skills (so far the majority for my 27 guardian) which are only activated after another attack lands or your character blocks an attack. 
    as opposed to LoTRO which few play because of its endgame.  From what I read, there aren't a great deal of endgame instances and even fewer raids as the game is mostly about your journey to the cap, which is at 65 instead of 80.

You don't need to criticise LotRO to advocate for WoW. WoW seems to be a great game. LotRo is a great game. You can't really go wrong.

Your level 27 guardian has NO idea about combat in LotRO, though. LotRO combat is far superior IMO, but there is room to disagree.

LotRO's endgame is fine for me. I have three 65s and haven't done it all on any of them.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by arenasb
    I found the Dungeons of AoC quite good. In reality, I have found most of the pve quests in all of the games pretty darn boring (with a few exceptions such as Lotro's campaign quests). Most involve killing boars, rabbits, bears for their hides, heads, legs or whatever. If you have those kind of quests you might as well have good combat that you enjoy playing and the best combat, at least melee, is AoC.

To each their own I guess.  The campaign quests are a rather huge difference in quest gameplay in my opinion considering how many there are in LotR.

I found the dungeons in LotR to be a lot more interesting and challenging than in AoC as well. 

Two things I will give AoC however is that there are quite a few dungeons that are open world so can make for some interesting fights when it comes to PvP, however whether this is directedly related to that or not the boss fights generally seem to be more tank and spank oriented in AoC. 

The other thing I will say is generally speaking player combat is more intricate in AoC.  Of course, as you mentioned this depends on the class you're playing because this really isn't the case for caster oriented classes while melee does offer more variety than in Rings outside of Wardens.

Oh...and lastly one edge just about every game in existence has over LotR is when it comes to PvP.  Turbine has made little to no effort in this area so far as AoC goes it has better PvP than Rings.  But so does just about every other game out there.

EDITED: For Clarification - original post was all over the map ;_;

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

i truly hope you are kidding... you do realize that many and i do mean MANY MMOs were out before WOW.  AC1... EQ... UO... AC2... DAOC... Horizons... Shadowbane... SWG... AO... etc etc... dont need to keep going...

but are you saying all these MMOs copied WOW?  EQ started in what 1999?  or 1998... dont remember but i know it was in the late 90s... before that was meridian... but sadly its closing its doors.  they copied WOW too?  LOL  dont be rediculous that WOW was teh starter.  Because it wasnt.  and if you want a game that was ahead of its time...

You're not reading very well.  Most MMOs on the market bear more resemblance to WoW than EQ.  It's been the standard that everybody's copied since it launched. 

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• gogogogonegogogogone Member Posts: 40

None of the above.

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Cmon how can that guy above say that AoC pvp = 4 and WoW pvp = 7 shall i laugh?

It's like saying that Counter Strike 1.5 is better than COD MW2 omg learn to compare

If you are a PvPer and wanna have a skill-needed game for melee classes, go AoC, best pvp combat out, WoW and lotro are just all about spamming skills, it isnt even funny, but yeah world is full of stupid and completely unskilled players that get their brain warm trying to push 4 keys at the same time, if you are clever enough and youve already tried WoW, you should try AoC, lotro pvp is lol, you cant even call it pvp...AoC is for real gamers, WoW is for kids and Lotro is for PvErs, its your choice.

Davirok PvP lvl 5 from Aquilonia RP-PvP server [21+k Frags , 5k Deaths]