Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to build a new pc.

lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

I think it's time for a new pc. The one I have now I built almost 2 years ago while on a fairly small budget. It still runs most newer gen games on med-high settings, but I am unable to use fraps with settings turned up. I play Darkfall mostly these days, and would love to record some sieges.

My "budget" will be $1,200 for this endeavor.

The last build I did was mostly my own choices, but I think this time around I would like to have some input on what to get. The main thing I am after is running new games on the highest settings with fraps running, and still getting ~60fps. Would love a good overclocker as well. The build must include a 22" LCD in the price. (I will be selling my old computer to help pay for this one.)

Thanks in advance for any help. I love building new pcs, puts a smile on my face.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Since you are familiar with ocing, I'd go with something like:

i7 920

basic x58 mobo

6 GB cheap kit

5850/5870 radeon

ssd, intel or some indilinx based for OS and +

samsung f3 hdd for storage

antec 300/p183 case

500-600 watt psu, from brands corsair, enermax, seasonic...

sound card depending on how much you want to invest in it

Still probably missing something but that's a good start.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I don't know that you can quite squeeze an i7 920 into $1200 if you need case and monitor and everything.

i7 920 $290
    x58 mobo $200
    6GB DDR3-1600 $150
    Radeon 5870 $400
    Samsung F3 500GB $55
    650W PSU $100
    22" monitor $160
    case $60

Total = $1415

Too much premium on the mobo and CPU :(

I'd probably go:
    i5 750 $190
    P55 mobo $120
    4GB DDR3-1600 $100
    Radeon 5870 $400
    Samsung F3 500GB $55
    650W PSU $100
    22" Monitor $160
    Case $60

Total = $1185

Still a really badass system without some of the excess of the 1st one.

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Waiting for - 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by lilreap2k3

I think it's time for a new pc. The one I have now I built almost 2 years ago while on a fairly small budget. It still runs most newer gen games on med-high settings, but I am unable to use fraps with settings turned up. I play Darkfall mostly these days, and would love to record some sieges.
    The last build I did was mostly my own choices, but I think this time around I would like to have some input on what to get. The main thing I am after is running new games on the highest settings with fraps running, and still getting ~60fps. Would love a good overclocker as well. The build must include a 22" LCD in the price. (I will be selling my old computer to help pay for this one.)
    Thanks in advance for any help. I love building new pcs, puts a smile on my face.

since you havent linked the system you got right now i suggest you hold on to that computer for now.why!

wait till dx11 is more mainstream,since i m positive your actual computer can probably do 64 bit and microsoft donnybrook isnt coming to our favorite mmo(unless blizzard went with the futur in mind and do go with microsoft donnybrook,fairly easy for them!)

the only reason to upgrade  would be dx11 since dx11 is very scarece i dont recommend bying a new computer just for dx11

since i did a new computer 2 week ago,can i tell you how much speed i gained vs my x2 4600

i gained nothing!oh the potential is there but since all our bottleneck are never computer related but more btween the

connector of your computer and wichever server you try to access.you wont gain anything just more useless toy.

instead ask your favority game or application to do these 3 move .

add dx11

add microsoft donnybrook

add 64 bit

once those 3 thing are in place then you can add things like ssd,dx11 graphic card new quad core processor

1600 ram

you ll get more then enough speed just by deactivating paging file if your run 64 bit

but even that is very useless since even the fastest computer cant go faster then the game maker server

all the issue we face right now are mostly on 2 main front

32bit is one so ask everybody to go 64 bit

the amount of player that can be cramed on one map.on paper ONLIVE is a nice idea

but unless you got an unlimited connection .(i sure will never get that since my cable bill would probably be in the 10000 $ per month if i had to stream those llol)

so only one way remain doable for the forseeable futur (next 5 year)

and its microsoft donnybrook!but since you need a centralised style server,it means redesigning some game that werent meant

to be a la donnybrook

the only game i believe(and here its just my nosemeter speaking)that will have donnybrook in 2010 is HALO REACH!

too many secret on the multiplayer side of things .and the only possiblity left for this game is this piece of technology.

MICROSOFT DONNYBROOK!one problem thos since we all know this game will be on xbox.

it literally means no donnybrook for computer in 2010 (but then i could be wrong!)

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Originally posted by lilreap2k3 I think it's time for a new pc. The one I have now I built almost 2 years ago while on a fairly small budget. It still runs most newer gen games on med-high settings, but I am unable to use fraps with settings turned up. I play Darkfall mostly these days, and would love to record some sieges.

since you havent linked the system you got right now i suggest you hold on to that computer for now.why!

http://www.xfire.com/profile/janix2006

My current build is on my xfire profile. Just scroll to the bottom under gaming rig.

Waiting for - 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would wait until April.  You can get a much better system due to new tech hitting the market and a reduction in price.  If you want to use an HD5870, you are going to be limited by your HDD.  Getting a more sophisticated HDD array (SSD or RAID 0) is worth it if you are including such a high end video card.  Also you guys are forgetting about the $105 OS.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

I think most of your system looks quite good. Perhaps I would choose a modular psu to get rid of the cable mess.

In my opinion you are fine with the hdd you have chosen. It will not limit your video-card like the above poster says. An ssd will load your games much faster but once in the games the improvement in performance is very marginal. That money would be much better spent elsewhere.

You could consider going for an i7 860. The price for this cpu is the same as the i7 920 but you could save some money on the mobo and ram. The socket-1156 p55 mobos are much cheaper.  The performance of the 860 is pretty much the same as the 920. Find some reviews of the 860 and see for yourself.

If you want to overclock you should mabye consider another cpu-cooler. It doesen't look very beefy and such small fans are often very noisy. Reading the description on newegg only mentions compatibility with socket 775 so you can't use it anyhow. Another cooler that's very popular these days is the corsair h50. Easy water-cooling at a low cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&Tpk=corsair

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I don't think you really understand why I say a more sophisticated HDD array is a good idea with the HD5870.  When it comes to platter based HDD, they haven't really advanced in the last 10 years.  Still running at 7200RPM, the only thing that has change is the amount of data you can put on it.  Its transfer speeds are limited to 70MB/s  This makes them ideal to hold data, but when you constantly have to fetch data from it by todays demands it can be a hassle.

With todays games most developers are making use of high end video cards by upping the size of textures loaded.  By doing something like going from High texture detail to Very High texture detail, you are atleast upping the memory demands by 4.  Alot of newer games are getting up to 25GB in size which makes it impossible to load all data into memory.  So these large textures must be fetched on a constant basis.  At 70MB/s you are looking at loading every GB at 14 seconds.  For something like Dragon Age on its highest settings you are looking at loading 2GB into memory, and its scenes are relatively small.  Once game companies start adopting 64-bit clients which actually should be happening now, we could be seeing scenes over 4GB and load times from a 7200RPM platter at over a minute.  With an mmo you are looking at data being loaded and unloaded from memory on a constant basis due to how data has to be handled in an open world.  You can control it a bit, but chances are with a standard 7200RPM drive you will get micro-stutter.  If you decide to curb this by lowering texture detail, then what would the point be in getting an HD5870 in the first place?

mm?lets imagine for a second you got a speed connection!
    what is it?
    between 10mb/s to a most 40 mb/s

so you ll end up up with real life speed
    of 1 mbs to 5mbs max?
    so your hdd will never be your limit
    the network is the limit
    until microsoft donnybrook is applied to mmo
    then we ll be hitting the computer speed problem,but until donnybrook is avail for mmo.
    any technobable toy old(5 years ago)or new is completely useless
    speedguide.net give good tip
    kadaitcha.cx give very good tip
    to speed up computer.but not even one of those can help mmo.not one since the limiting factor is from point a to point b,
    or the server is also the limiting factor in a way.yep the only sure way to speed up mmo THE ONLY WAY,is with microsoft.
    donnybrook if there was other ways microsoft would have shown it by now.
    yep annoying you can say that again
    so for me i mdone spending money on ps3,xbox,computer etc since right now all gamer are limited by not one gamer can control.
    only game maker control the microsoft
    donnybrook.
    dx11 would be also usefull, but since its speed increase could only be noticed
    if we could reach game faster,
    its also useless.
    same thing for 64 bit.
    all those techno rely on one factor,
    and that factor isnt avail in game or server yet.
    so dont spend your money for better gaming experience since it wont happen anyway.
    unless you know of a title that do use donnybrook.if you do share with us that title, since there arent many of those out and wont be for at least 3 years
  • LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I don't think you really understand why I say a more sophisticated HDD array is a good idea with the HD5870.  When it comes to platter based HDD, they haven't really advanced in the last 10 years.  Still running at 7200RPM, the only thing that has change is the amount of data you can put on it.  Its transfer speeds are limited to 70MB/s  This makes them ideal to hold data, but when you constantly have to fetch data from it by todays demands it can be a hassle.
    With todays games most developers are making use of high end video cards by upping the size of textures loaded.  By doing something like going from High texture detail to Very High texture detail, you are atleast upping the memory demands by 4.  Alot of newer games are getting up to 25GB in size which makes it impossible to load all data into memory.  So these large textures must be fetched on a constant basis.  At 70MB/s you are looking at loading every GB at 14 seconds.  For something like Dragon Age on its highest settings you are looking at loading 2GB into memory, and its scenes are relatively small.  Once game companies start adopting 64-bit clients which actually should be happening now, we could be seeing scenes over 4GB and load times from a 7200RPM platter at over a minute.  With an mmo you are looking at data being loaded and unloaded from memory on a constant basis due to how data has to be handled in an open world.  You can control it a bit, but chances are with a standard 7200RPM drive you will get micro-stutter.  If you decide to curb this by lowering texture detail, then what would the point be in getting an HD5870 in the first place?

I believe what you say is true, it's just not a big problem with current gen games. A 7200 rpm hdd is fast enough to load textures in pretty much all games of today. I think an ssd or raid would be a good upgrade. It's just not the most important thing for the op when he already is way over his budget. He should wait some time and get it later.

Another thing I would consider if I was getting a new rig is to hold out for nvidias new-gen cards. The gtx360 will likely land at the same price-range as the 5870 and roughly the same performance in dx9 and 10 games, but it will be much faster in dx11. The architecture of atis 5000 series was made for dx 9 and 10. Dx 11 was added as an after-thought and so it doesn't handle that very effectively. Nvidias new architecture was amade for dx11 and really excel in that area.  So if you want a videocard that's a bit future-proof wait  few months for nvidias new-gen cards.

Originally posted by lilreap2k3

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Originally posted by lilreap2k3 I think it's time for a new pc. The one I have now I built almost 2 years ago while on a fairly small budget. It still runs most newer gen games on med-high settings, but I am unable to use fraps with settings turned up. I play Darkfall mostly these days, and would love to record some sieges.

http://www.xfire.com/profile/janix2006

My current build is on my xfire profile. Just scroll to the bottom under gaming rig.

grin!peobably overkill for most game,since often the issue we got arent on the gamer end
    i use same graphic card and i love that card only reason i ll upgrade is because of dx11 but that wont be this year unless a game add microsoft donnybrook then i will need to add a dx11 card but for now its just a feature on a piece of paper.
  • dfandfan Member Posts: 362

To your build:

find cheaper motherboard, every will oc past 4,0 GHz and majority will hit 4,2 GHz.

Find cheaper ram, as it offers very little performance increase over normal 1600 MHz memory, is not required.

What comes to storage discussion, forget raiding hdds instantly. It doesn't give really any increase in performance, can actually be slower too on some cases than one disk. Bottlenecks will still remain and raid doesn't effect them.

Ssd is a great upgrade over hdd, most important thing to put on it is OS. MMOs gain to most benefit from ssd, removing the famous stuttering. With other games it mainly just helps with load times.