Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3D

razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Just wondering what people can tell me about 3D Vision from nvidia. The reason I ask is 'cause im going to upgrade my monitor and before I do I need to know if its worth getting a 3D ready one to use with 3D Vision if I decide to get it.

Comments

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

3D? What is this sorcery? 

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

I'm not joking. There's seriously 3D stuff now?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

3D vision by Nvidia is a proprietary standard that currently has little to no competition. It has a limited acceptance within the gaming industry. If you want to be on the bleeding edge of the creation of industry standards for 3D video gaming and are willing to accept the risk of Nvidia's version becoming obsolete within a couple of years I'd say go for it.

That is if you have the ability to pay for it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by MattMassacre

I'm not joking. There's seriously 3D stuff now?

Here you go http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Getting the monitor for it wouldn't be a waste.  Alot of companies are adopting an OpenCL and DirectCompute version of Stereoscopic.  There will probably be a 3rd party override soon that you can use to get stereoscopic display in games that don't support such technology as long as they are in 3D.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

The technology is still very new and next to useless atm, I'd wait a year and see has it come more common.

120 Hz monitors are still very expensive considering they are based on very cheap and low quality TN panels. 

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

There is gonna be a lot of movement in 3d this year. I'm gonna wait till next year to make a purchase on it, so there's more than 2 or 3 monitors to pick from, and they have standards worked out, more integrated support in games, and a few 3d movies. Without real game support I hear it's very bland and only a few racing games have really been enhanced for it.

Keep in mind nvidia's active shutter glasses are $200 on top of the monitor. ATI relies on the iz3d monitor w/passive polarity glasses for now. This month ATI's drivers will add support for active shutter glasses with Bit Cauldron's 3d glasses coming out for them in ~6 months. Dunno if this will bring prices down on the glasses or not.

If you are gonna buy a monitor *right now* and wanted a 1680x1050 22" monitor anyway then I'd probably buy a 120hz one but they're $100 more than a 60hz.

If you want a really basic idea of what 3d looks like on your current monitor, you can either in nvidia's control panel enable anaglyphic (red+cyan) 3d, or download iz3d's anaglyphic driver, then put on a pair of those cheap ass red+blue glasses and see how it looks. Color will be bad but you'll at least get an idea of what it's like.

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133

Yea wait atleast a year. Sony and other major companies are coming out with 3D tvs this year and expanding into Blue-ray 3d, Ps3 3D, etc. Link below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/sony/6127650/Sony-to-launch-3D-TVs-in-2010.html

Taken from the link above:

Sir Howard Stringer, the British chief executive of the Japanese company, said that 3D was “clearly on its way to becoming a mass market technology”.

“A variety of issues still need to be addressed, but the 3D train is on the track and Sony is ready to drive it home,” he told delegates at the IFA technology conference in Berlin.

Sir Howard said that 3D had captured the imaginations of film-makers and content creators.

Sony will launch new 3D-compatible models of its popular Bravia range of televisions next year, and Sir Howard added that he hoped other Sony devices, such as its Vaio laptops, PlayStation 3 games console and its Blu-ray high-definition DVD players, would also support 3D content in future.

3D television one of the big stories at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas earlier this year, with many manufacturers throwing their weight behind their technology. A host of companies, including LG and Samsung, outlined plans to make their own 3D television sets, while satellite broadcaster Sky has confirmed that it will launch a 3D channel next year.

The trend is being driven in part by the cinematic success of 3D movies. By the end of the year, there will be more than 7,000 digital 3D screens worldwide, while critics are already heaping praise on Avatar, the new 3D film from director James Cameron.

Sony has not indicated how much its Bravia range of 3D televisions will cost, but the price is expected to run in to thousands of pounds. Hyundai, another 3D TV manufacturer, expects its television to cost around £3,000.

The consumer electronics industry will need to settle on a common 3D standard if it is to avoid a format war similar to the recent long-running battle between the Blu-ray and HD-DVD platforms.

Sony favours active shutter technology, whereby viewers wear electronic glasses that contain tiny shutters that flicker rapidly in sync with the on-screen image to produce a 3D effect. Other companies prefer polarisation technology, which requires users to wear special glasses with different colour lenses.

Sir Howard Stringer said Sony had to find new ways of capturing the imaginations of consumers, and that 3D television was “an exciting new area” where Sony could “lead the industry”.

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Thanks for all the comments and insights. I've aggreed with what the majority of you have said and I'm going to wait a year for more options and hopefully a huge price drop 'cause I see that it's about 500 for the new alienware monitor and then 200 for the glasses. Thanks again

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133

Dont do what this above person said. Wait a year. The 3D stuff out right now isnt that great. Trust me, I have 3D Glasses and even a 3D monitor and it gives you a headache and its not nice quality in 3D.

Why buy Generic and cheap stuff when all the Name Brand (Proven Successors) Companies (Sony, Samsung, etc) Are coming out with the newest and first 3D technology of Digital 3d to TVs. Dont buy junk, you will regret it.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Hmm, disregarding the spam linkpage, I read more about those glasses.. they are shutter glasses and the wired ones are pretty cheap.

Dunno how they compare but it sounds like it's the same exact deal just a smaller square lens since they're older glasses, no idea how well they stay synced.

The advance in steroscopic is coming from the refresh rate on the monitors so these glasses are a way to check it out but without the 120Hz monitor you'll be getting the flickering from low shutter speed per eye (30Hz per eye on a 60Hz monitor). I don't see a reason these wouldn't work on a 120Hz monitor though and I don't think there's any difference from the nVidia ones except the smaller lens.