Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Character Customization Scans

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

New scans revealing information and examples of the character customization of Final Fantasy XIV have surfaced over at FFXIV fansite FFXIVCore.

The talented community there has also gone ahead and translated the scans, so we have a bit of information on some of the customization options we can expect to see in Final Fantasy XIV when it launches sometime next year.

Rolling off some of the customization options, seasoned MMO vets are not likely to be impressed, but for the customization starved fans of FFXI who didn't have much to work with, the information is likely to be received with cheers all around.

This time around players can expect to be able to customize their head/face with band aids, scars, hair color, eye color, facial hair, and facial patterns. Some level of body customization is also available as well, with skin tone changes being confirmed, and adjustments to chest and waist measurement hinted at.

Check out the rest of the scans and information over at FFXIVCore.

Comments

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570

so the clone war is over?

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by nekollx

we will see : )

• sig261sig261 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by nekollx

Sure hope so XD

• OmniproOmnipro Member UncommonPosts: 23

The last two models on the end is that fur?

Aion
    Final Fantasy XI
    Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online

• LorelLorel Member UncommonPosts: 45

This looks very promising.

Lets just hope it will run on my current machine ;)

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Lorel

I really dont care since ill buy it for my PS3. Less chance of crashes, bugs and low spec =P

But really, those character are excellent. The girl in full body has a very beautifully done skin. Very very promising

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Rang Rang those bells

/pass

• GarkwazzlesGarkwazzles Member Posts: 20

Wow! Amazingly done. Glad they decided to step out of the 1A 1B 2A 2B etc option for character customization. One thing I loved about FFXI's character design though, (even when customization was limited) was that I felt like I belonged in the world. Some games just allow for too much customization.

THESE CATAPULTS ARE MINE!!!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Omnipro

The last two models on the end is that fur?

No that's what you call a bad magazine scan.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by tryklon

Originally posted by Lorel

I really dont care since ill buy it for my PS3. Less chance of crashes, bugs and low spec =P

But really, those character are excellent. The girl in full body has a very beautifully done skin. Very very promising

I care, I think it will run on my current machine, buying it for pc, less chance of crashes, bugs and probably better eyecandy.

I will probably make a replica of my hume monk, with additions of tattoos or other things that might be there O.o

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

From what I've read, those scans only seem to show skin, eye and hair color options as well as different color and material type options for the undergarments; not sure what the point is for the latter, but hey... some people like to stand around naked, I guess. They list a number of other options you'll be able to set, like hair style and such.

That said, I'm most interested in seeing what options there will be for the Miqo'te as that's what I'll be playing. But it's good to see more options, regardless.

Anyways... here's a few more screenshots of the world itself... I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time just wandering aimlessly :-p

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Here is a much better high-rez rip from the official site!  enjoy... 

heh beat me by a min, but at least these don't have the horrible CORE tag on every image like they own them...so silly!

Originally posted by Khrymson

Here is a much better high-rez rip from the official site!  enjoy... 

heh beat me by a min, but at least these don't have the horrible CORE tag on every image like they own them...so silly!

Heheh.. Yeah, but at least they're down in a corner of the pic and not covering something an important part of it, like I've seen some sites do. "Oh they're most likely to want to check out this part of the pic, so let's put our logo right over the middle and block it out so they'll see where it's from". /facepalm. I can understand wanting to get the word out about your site, but some people don't have a clue.
    It's almost (but only almost) kind of funny that they seem to be pushing the Roegadyn to the forefront a bit. Personally, I still think they look... weird. But at least they look a bit more "normal" than the Galka do in FFXI; they're just creepy... fat, pasty, white asexual blobs with tails and anger issues.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Now hopefully armor wise it'll be also very diversified, yet looks good on you on the whole...

RIP Orc Choppa

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I never thought that Galka's had anger issues (aside from the character creation screen). In-game their manners and emotes felt more humorous than anything, partly why I loved them in XI and why I'll be one in XIV too. All the best people I met in the game were Galkas, it was like an universal rule. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

I never thought that Galka's had anger issues (aside from the character creation screen). In-game their manners and emotes felt more humorous than anything, partly why I loved them in XI and why I'll be one in XIV too. All the best people I met in the game were Galkas, it was like an universal rule. 

Oh I mean as a race, lore-wise. The whole "we're just being used by the Humes, and WTF... where's my penis?!" thing... There's that underlying bitterness...

And - only half-jokingly - I could sum Galka Anger up in one name: Raogrimm.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by WSIMike                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Yeah, but at least they're down in a corner of the pic and not covering something an important part of it, like I've seen some sites do. "Oh they're most likely to want to check out this part of the pic, so let's put our logo right over the middle and block it out so they'll see where it's from". /facepalm. I can understand wanting to get the word out about your site, but some people don't have a clue. 

Its still just so annoying too me.  Its like maybe if they were at an event and took the pictures themselves or the developer gave them exclusive rights to display them first before their official site or whatever.  Ripping an image and plastering your website on everything, which they do with no remorse is just silly and is almost like desperation to get people to visit their site.

Heck that Zyuu character, admin, site owner...whoever he is, even sent me whispers several times when info was being released on FFXIV that I need to dedicate everything to his site w/ links if I post any FFXIV info, anywhere.  Basically claiming his site was the only one with that info first and nobody else had it...pretty pathetic if ya ask me!

Better get used to them Roegadyn though, there are going to be so many tards playing them cause they are the largest race..heh

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Character looks have absolutely no bearing on the game at all,it is an utter waste of time.You will end up covering the entire body except the face with gear on day 1,so what is the whole purpose of this?Do we really want to turn a possibly good game into a SIMS dressup party?

I don't get the common sense behind it.If this game or any wants to make it meaningful ,your customization options have real meaning,then it is a good idea,but even then,your still going to cover up the entire player with gear,so it is still a waste.

Oh well i guess everyone is stretching for any game news as everyone is frantically awaiting the release of the game.

The only two things that really matter for myself are the combat/class structure and ,the reason to play the game.If the reason is nothing  more than a WOW quest fest,then it's not for me,if it is all about grouping up and having fun with an intrinsic combat/class system then it is definitely for me.I guess the crafting matters a lot as well,i know it will have crafting,i just hope it does not go out into left field with some wacko ideas like the group crafting idea,i don't really like that.

You cannot tell me it is hard to find groups to kill things but not to form a group to craft lol,it kind of sets a double standard,but  i think this is what we may very well see in FFIV,i hope not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Character looks have absolutely no bearing on the game at all,it is an utter waste of time.You will end up covering the entire body except the face with gear on day 1,so what is the whole purpose of this?Do we really want to turn a possibly good game into a SIMS dressup party?
    I don't get the common sense behind it.If this game or any wants to make it meaningful ,your customization options have real meaning,then it is a good idea,but even then,your still going to cover up the entire player with gear,so it is still a waste.
    Oh well i guess everyone is stretching for any game news as everyone is frantically awaiting the release of the game.
    The only two things that really matter for myself are the combat/class structure and ,the reason to play the game.If the reason is nothing  more than a WOW quest fest,then it's not for me,if it is all about grouping up and having fun with an intrinsic combat/class system then it is definitely for me.I guess the crafting matters a lot as well,i know it will have crafting,i just hope it does not go out into left field with some wacko ideas like the group crafting idea,i don't really like that.
    You cannot tell me it is hard to find groups to kill things but not to form a group to craft lol,it kind of sets a double standard,but  i think this is what we may very well see in FFIV,i hope not.

It's not a waste if the customers want/enjoy it. As far as covering up, you assume that every player always walks around with their gear on. Well, not so. Many people socialize in the MMOs they play and they go take the extra effort to change their avatar into "dressed down", non-combat attire to do so.

It's cool if you don't care what your avatar looks like in specific. Many other gamers do. View the two things that matter for yourself, and then apply that concept to others and know that they will have different ones, customization possibly being one of them.

I personally like having many avatar customization options. Having many varied looks within a game race adds to the game world for me. Makes it feel more world and less game. Crafting is another big one for me. And yeah, I don't want group crafting or any crafting "games" like in EQ2. I'd rather they spend the time they would have coming up with some group crafting scheme or mini-games and use it to put in alot of different craftables and maybe have items give different stats/abilities based on being made from different resources.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Well, one thing's for sure. They can't really make crafting less important to the game now, with having the professions as real classes instead of just "less important" role like in the predecessor (or any other themepark really). It's gotta have a big role this time. They've already said you can level to cap only by crafting, which is a good sign, but doesn't tell much about the crafting process itself or if it's enjoyable.

Looks like you can at least dye your armor and attach different symbols to it if you like. That should make it interesting for me at least, finding my own pattern to be recognized from, instead of just having my name attached to the end product alá XI.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Nothing new here! I'm sure this is work in progress...

Still APB will have the best character customization ever made in an online game.

We will have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Vormir

Still APB will have the best character customization ever made in an online game.

Best is a subjective term in this case.

• I hate to be a wet blanket but I was seriously disappointed to see this.

Perfect World and AION have a character customization system that is light years ahead of this.  I would have expected much more from Square Enix. It is basically the same character model with different colors, LAME.

On the positive side the landscape graphics look amazing and hopefully the gameplay will be too.