Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW, LOTR OR AOC?

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

It really depends on what you want in a game. If you're more of a pvp person, AoC is probably the way to go. If you're more of a pve person, LotRO is untouchable in that arena.

That being said, I think everyone should play to top level in WoW at least once. Despite what the naysayers here would have you believe, it really is a fantastic game, even after all this time.

My recommendation would be to continue playing WoW until you reach level 80, then switch to one of the other two. You'll appreciate their unique features that much more if you do. :)

Agree. Though AoC is leaning more towards PVE more or less now.

• libranimlibranim Member Posts: 139

It's just personal preference that shrouds most of these comments...

not that i care.

1.Stick with wow and find out what it's like in the end, I've known friends who hated the leveling part but loved the end-game content. And... leveling as a warrior is horrid, any melee without sufficient 'healing' will end up being slow in the leveling department so endure and try it out.

2.Lotro is fun, and not, kinda... I've had such mixed feelings about this game that I wouldn't know what to tell you, honestly I have only played it up to level 45 on my lore master and quit because of it's slow combat and rather annoying repetitiveness, which is akin to wow. So yea, wow spoilt me and made me despise leveling in lotro... so if you don't enjoy wow's leveling, you'll most likely find lotro a bore as well.

3.AoC has a different sort of combat, and it's unique and fun... for only so long. You slowly realize that the formula adopted by the game is pretty much the same as the other two games, and while emphasis on pvp is stronger in this game, you really can't enjoy it until you reach the higher levels.

Honestly? do what you want, I don't know. Self preference > our opinion, go explore.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by mkafna

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

I would try Aion if I were you. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

If you're bored with WoW, you're going to get bored with LoTRO. Both are aimed at very casual MMO players, top gear can be get in WoW in 2 days and exactly the same can be said for LoTRO. They are very similar, except LoTRO has way less group  and Raid content, coupled with the most pathetic LFG tool ever seen in an MMO which literally no one in the game uses.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Params7

If you're bored with WoW, you're going to get bored with LoTRO. Both are aimed at very casual MMO players, top gear can be get in WoW in 2 days and exactly the same can be said for LoTRO. They are very similar, except LoTRO has way less group  and Raid content, coupled with the most pathetic LFG tool ever seen in an MMO which literally no one in the game uses.

Patently false nonsense. It will take you at least a week of heavy grinding in both games to get the good stuff; top gear will take several weeks unless you're in a hardcore guild/kinship. That being said, there are more important things than gear. Is it really that difficult to slow down and enjoy the games for what they are?

Especially with LotRO - the game is about the journey, not the destination.

<3

• MeberakMeberak Member Posts: 27

Start Eve Online.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
    --Socrates

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

If you go from WOW to LOTR you're going to be instantly shocked at how much more boring to play it is.  Boring classes, boring races and combat will seem more simplistic and blah.  The environments will be prettier but they will NOT be more creative.   WOW's combat and control is just heads and tails above anything LOTR can offer and thats what you'll be doing most of the time anyway, unless you just enjoy chatting in town for hours.  But you can do that in any game.  If you want to pay $15 a month to play virtual music play LOTR;)

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Meberak

Start Eve Online.

That or Darkfall. I've played all the games listed and they all got boring, why not make a radical change to something that has a fantastic endgame?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Originally posted by Josher

If you go from WOW to LOTR you're going to be instantly shocked at how much more boring to play it is.  Boring classes, boring races and combat will seem more simplistic and blah.  The environments will be prettier but they will NOT be more creative.   WOW's combat and control is just heads and tails above anything LOTR can offer and thats what you'll be doing most of the time anyway, unless you just enjoy chatting in town for hours.  But you can do that in any game.  If you want to pay $15 a month to play virtual music play LOTR;)

I totally disagree with this. I went from WoW to LotRO and I have found LotRO much more engaging. LotRO introduces skills slowly, so in the early levels, play is pretty simple. You keep getting significant new skills as you level and pretty soon combat is head-and-shoulders above WoW (IMO.)  There is a reason LotRO has been rated so high for so long - it's one of the best.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Jeger_Wulf

Originally posted by Josher

I totally disagree with this. I went from WoW to LotRO and I have found LotRO much more engaging. LotRO introduces skills slowly, so in the early levels, play is pretty simple. You keep getting significant new skills as you level and pretty soon combat is head-and-shoulders above WoW (IMO.)  There is a reason LotRO has been rated so high for so long - it's one of the best.

LotRO has many great features but in my opinion combat is not one of them. I feel LotRO is a game that you go into to experience. The world, campaign quests, and the overall environment is fantastic. If you enjoy a journey I think LotRO would be the game for you. If you are just a bottom line or end game person than WoW is probably your best bet.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by dreamscaper

It really depends on what you want in a game. If you're more of a pvp person, AoC is probably the way to go. If you're more of a pve person, LotRO is untouchable in that arena.

That being said, I think everyone should play to top level in WoW at least once. Despite what the naysayers here would have you believe, it really is a fantastic game, even after all this time.

My recommendation would be to continue playing WoW until you reach level 80, then switch to one of the other two. You'll appreciate their unique features that much more if you do. :)

Agree. Though AoC is leaning more towards PVE more or less now.

From the upcoming patch notes it seems that AoC is adding quite a bit to pvp. I think AoC is a great game (albeit I have not reached level 80, probably changes there) but I feel the biggest problem of the game is the low population.

• SkarothlockSkarothlock Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by arenasb

LotRO has many great features but in my opinion combat is not one of them. I feel LotRO is a game that you go into to experience. The world, campaign quests, and the overall environment is fantastic. If you enjoy a journey I think LotRO would be the game for you. If you are just a bottom line or end game person than WoW is probably your best bet.

I quit wow last June, played DDO for a bit in the summer but by September I was off MMO's.  I just recently signed up for the free trial to LotRO and I am having fun with it.  The initial game play seems similar to wow (similar enough that if you had played wow finding your way around the UI is easy enough) but the skills and combinations start to change rapidly.  It is strictly pve (from what I have seen and read).  I am pretty sure I'll sub to it when the trial is over.

Skaroth

*Edit* I played horde in WoW so the races are interesting enough for me, and I like the classes.  I like the Lore Master because it is challenging to play well (i.e. stay alive solo) and it offers so many options to game play.  Pets, heals, debuffs, cc, dd, buffs, dot, etc... and I am only level 18.  The cool thing about the class is that when I get a new skill (every two levels like wow) I am not, at first, sure how, or when, or against what, I will use it. 

See the violence inherent in the system!

• Originally posted by arenasb

I guess we will have to disagree. I've played WoW, DAoC, EQ2, and LotRO to max level. I find LotRo to be the equal of any of them in combat, and IMO superior to WoW.

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

Go for wow.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

LotRO combat is fun. I can take down enemies from 40 meters away whereas if I played the same class in WoW, I'd have to get a tanking pet to distract the mob for me. That being said, I can't take a lot of damage and if I'm faced with multiple equal-level mobs, I have to run. Something that's rarely done in WoW these days. LotRO combat keeps you on your feet and makes you pay attention more than WoW (of course, in WoW raids or PvP, you have to pay attention, but that is certainly not where the majority of combat takes place). Same with general AoC combat (though obviously that's a bit different with the directional attacks and whatnot).

I'd recommend LotRO for the above reason and for reasons already mentioned - beautiful world, excellent PvE/quest quantity and quality, and a great community. The one glaring weakness is LotRO's substandard PvP, so if you enjoy to PvP a lot, then I'd recommend WoW... eh... well, to be honest, I couldn't really recommend any of the three. LotRO may be substandard, but WoW was, is, and will always be unbalanced. AoC, during my brief time that I spent there, didn't have really great PvP (in my opinion). It may have improved, but the PvP community was almost as bad as, say, Darkfall's. Quite unpleasant. Sieges are always fun, though. Still, if I really had to recommend one out of your three choices, I say WoW. More because of polish and fun combat than anything else.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by mkafna

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

Warriors are one of the most limited classes in the game.  If you're bored with him try playing something else.  Druids can be tanks, healers, melee dps or caster dps.  Paladins can be healers, tanks or melee dps.  Shaman with their totems have a ton of depth as either caster dps, melee dps or healing.  I never gave a thought to playing druids until I had been in the game a couple years and now I regret not givng them a chance earlier on.

Plus you can level up in the PVP battlegrounds or group all the way to 80.  It's now easier to find a group in WoW than in any other MMO on the market.  You can still solo all the way if that's your thing.

AOC technically has the best grapnics but you have to put up with longer load times and a game that tapers off drastically after the low levels.

LOTR is kind of like WoW on a lower budget.  Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

Man - I'm going to come accross as a fanbois here, but I can't let this stand. I'm fine with WoW graphics - the cartoony aspect grows on you. However, LotRO blows it out of the water.

Game play isn't a WoW clone at all. It's a typical MMO, but no more a clone of WoW, then it is of EQ, UO or any other fantasy, questng MMO.

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

It's annoying how fanboys think everything is a WoW clone

Do they really think WoW is fully original?

They've copied features from other games. As games (not just mmos) always do.

They copy features, add their own touch. And you've got yourself a new game. 

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Be aware though LoTRO has the worst example of an LFG system, nobody in the game uses it (you'll have to scan the chat channels to groups shouts), and more and more group content is being deleted with every update, also you'll be very disappointed when it comes to end-game raiding.

Otherwise, LoTRO *IS* a fantastic PVE game, make no mistakes. The lore feels genuine, graphics are pretty, community is good.

• Originally posted by Params7

Be aware though LoTRO has the worst example of an LFG system, nobody in the game uses it (you'll have to scan the chat channels to groups shouts), and more and more group content is being deleted with every update, also you'll be very disappointed when it comes to end-game raiding.
    Otherwise, LoTRO *IS* a fantastic PVE game, make no mistakes. The lore feels genuine, graphics are pretty, community is good.

Yes, LotRO's LFG is very poor and people just use the /lff channel.

Whether you will be disappointed in the end-game raiding depends on what you want. When I left WoW, it was all about 40-man raids, which I despised.  It probably has changed since then. LotRO's raids are 12-man or 24-man. I like those better, but whether you will I can not say.

I like the lore much better. Saving Bill (the pony) was nice. Fighting the Watcher was nice. Finding the well that Pippin knocked the bucket down was nice. Watching the Fellowship leave Rivendell was nice. We are all in Mirkwood now, and I'm really looking forward to Rohan.

Honestly, any of the games is probably fine. IMO what makes or breaks the MMO is what kind of Kin/Guild you wind up in.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

Man - I'm going to come accross as a fanbois here, but I can't let this stand. I'm fine with WoW graphics - the cartoony aspect grows on you. However, LotRO blows it out of the water.

Game play isn't a WoW clone at all. It's a typical MMO, but no more a clone of WoW, then it is of EQ, UO or any other fantasy, questng MMO.

I had never played a MMO that sent you from one quest NPC to the next until I played WoW beta.  So yes I'm going to say LOTR is a WoW clone when the gameplay is very similar.  Also the difficulty level and all classes being able to solo is very similar to WoW.  Those concepts were unheard of before WoW went into open beta.

Graphics are subjective but the wolves in the starting area look pretty cheap compared to anything in WoW. 

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818
    Originally posted by Chieftan

Some of the graphics and animations look a bit dodgy.  The gameplay is basically another WoW clone with dot-to-dot questing.

I had never played a MMO that sent you from one quest NPC to the next until I played WoW beta.  So yes I'm going to say LOTR is a WoW clone when the gameplay is very similar.  Also the difficulty level and all classes being able to solo is very similar to WoW.  Those concepts were unheard of before WoW went into open beta.

Graphics are subjective but the wolves in the starting area look pretty cheap compared to anything in WoW. 

LOTR is like 2 different games when it comes to the models and the actual environment.  The landscapes in LOTR are really beautiful, but the models and art design are pretty blah and generic.   

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

EQ2 did the quest hub to quest hub as well, and it was released prior to WoW, just not by much. i find the gameplay in LOTRO to be much more full filling, as each class plays relatively uniquely to each other. the difficulty is something that is bothering me, as it continues to get easier. starting at launch, was actually a difficult game, compared to what starting now is. that does make me sad.

Graphics are not really subjective, as much as style is. one can not possibly compare WoW and LOTRO side by side, and say that WoW has better graphics. they can prefer the style, of course, but saying it has better graphics borders on just being silly. i for one, find the wolves in LOTRO to be more impressive graphically to anything in WoW, on my rig.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

This isn't true.  CoH had  NPC questing and it came out 6 months or so before WoW and you also had the ability to solo to max.  Everything didn't start with WoW.  Not saying it started with CoH either just pointing to it as an example.

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

Horizons had it... asherons call 2... all out before WOW.

WOW has nothing original in its game but making the game entirely a theme park.  where horizons and and AC2 were more sandboxish