Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Elder Scrolls MMO in the Works?

Comments

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

This thread is getting funny.

Folks are projecting all sorts of hopes, dreams, expectations and fears onto this rumor of a game.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment no matter what happens, because odds are it won't be exactly what you're projecting it will be. Bethesda's making an MMO. Look forward to it and leave it at that. Judge it if/ when it gets here.

And pray to whatever gods ye worship that they don't release it UNTIL IT'S READY. I don't care how good or bad the game might ever be, if they follow the now standard MMO industry procedure and release it half-baked and hope to sucker in die-hard fans to pay for the last 20-30% of development, IT WILL FAIL.

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

I'd personally really love to see an Elder Scrolls MMO.

I bet it could work out quite well. A more pve oriented game with a skill system somewhat like Darkfall.

Would certainly have better lore (you won't find a lot of games with great lore like Oblivion)

Could potentially have one of the best immersions an mmo has ever seen.

I can also imagine a certain amount of modding available. (stuff like texture changes for personal use).

I bet it's years away if it ever comes though. But I would really love to see it.

• Pale_RiderPale_Rider Member UncommonPosts: 62

Ive been looking for an elder scrolls mmo for years :D.  If this is true im going to have to upgrade my computer to prepare for the uber fun.  I know both my brothers will play this game with me to haha.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

I'm skeptical.

While I think Oblivion is one of the best sndbox single player fantasy based games out there, I'm not so sure this will translate well to the MMO side of the house.  What makes it the game a great sandbox now is that the world caters to you individually. The lure of being the ultimate hero or villan in the original game is going to be hard to reproduce with thousands of players running around taking on dungeons, taking over wizard towers or trying to become the Grey Fox. 

Here's hoping though.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Guys with all due respect, you should reflect before you speak.

How can you doubt TES transition from single player game to MMO?

TES is the most MMORPG friendly RPG out there, you take Morrowind, build the netcode, add Bosses to the existent dungeons, add a guild system, further develope the excellent crafting, add an AH and there you have it, a sandbox MMORPG.

And that would be by just modifying Morrowind, the single player game.

Can you imagine what Bethesda can do starting from scratch?

C'mon, Blizzard didn't have ny problem translating Warcraft to the MMORPG market.............and it wasn't even an RPG, it was a RTS.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Yes please?

Love the lore of Elder Scrolls games and if tweaked into an mmo, I could be set for quite some time.  It's almost strange that an elder scrolls mmo hasn't been made yet.  

• VanpryVanpry Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

An Elder Scrolls MMO if done well will be great for the mmo genre. Perhaps there is actually mmo hope after all.

Completely agree!

• WolfsheadSkyWolfsheadSky Member Posts: 5

I also don't agree with the skepticism with turning the single player Elder Scrolls experience into an MMOG experience.  Sure, lots of planning and work is necessary to pull it off, but I think they can do it.  Like I said before, if they could put Oblivion gameplay into an MMOG, I'd be in heaven.  Yes, you'd give up the "I'm the biggest studmuffin in the world" that comes with the single player experience but that's an MMOG for you :).  My big question would be the inclusion of pvp.  I absolutely LOVE the idea of pvp in an MMOG from a roleplay perspective.  How can I be an assassin if I can't assassinate anyone?  How can I fight evil as a holy paladin if I can't...er...fight evil? :)  Yet I've never cared for pvp in other MMOGs mostly because of the ridiculous focus on stats on gear.  He who has the most time (or inclination) to play has best gear and therefore has a distinct edge in pvp.  That isn't a scenario I care for.  That is why I like the prospect of this game.  Twitchy-style gameplay without the insane focus on item stats means anyone can jump into the game and hold their own (I believe Mortal Online is going this route).  That is what I would like to see in TESO.

Wolfshead Sky
    www.legendreaders.com

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

The problem is that there is so much that can't be done when there is a multiplayer game as opposed to single player.  The guild missions wouldn't be the same, the exploration might be similar but wouldn't be as rewarding, there wouldn't be the fantastic plots and amount of lore, there wouldn't be the amazing voice acting or compelling townspeople to bother you with in-depth questing that could even put you in a painting searching for an artist.

It would NEED to be sandbox because the game itself is practically a sandbox game.

Edit: And also, @ the person who said it was easier than making an RTS into an MMO (Warcraft) Making an MMO out of an RTS is WAY easier when the lore and everything else is already made and written for you, they just put every one of the major characters into a castle or a dungeon or a tomb and called it a raid boss.  The Lich King, Illidan, and the dragons and such all existed before WoW was made, thus making the transition easy, and many of the skills were already made.

Yes, there will be a watering-down of quests in an MMOG.  The only way to combat that is to have a LOT more writers, quality voice actors to be called upon, and the ability to quickly add it to the game.  That is of course depended on the budget.  Along this vein I would like to see dynamic quests where not every quest from a particular NPC is the same.  The requirements to do a quest can change, the reward can change, the puzzles can change, etc.  That would make the game more immersive I think.

Wolfshead Sky
    www.legendreaders.com

• Bael13Bael13 Member Posts: 29

I hope it's better than their single player version. as it was boring as.

I'd prefer a morrowind approach to the game, as it kept me interested far longer than Oblivion ever did...

Also if its P2P good luck with that i'm out...

To be honest, it took me a while to get into Oblivion as well because I thought it was boring.  I tried the game for about an hour, didn't really care for it even though the graphics were beautiful and then put it on the shelf.  A few months later, I was bored one day and decided to give the game another shot.  During that second go-around, something happened and next thing I knew, it was 4 hours later and I had fallen in love with the game.  From that point on, I had always thought to myself that if Oblivion were an MMOG, then it would be the perfect game.

Wolfshead Sky
    www.legendreaders.com

• MavkielMavkiel Member Posts: 46

I cant work up ANY enthusasm for this project. Bethesda games have been going steadily downhill with each new release. Take a look at daggerfall,morrowind,oblivion,fallout3 each release has had less story/plot from the previous game. I suspect the next game they make will not even bother with a plot or storyline.

• VelniasVelnias Member Posts: 26

They need better character animators and better character artists for one, and for two they need better bug handling.  I don't know if the problem is their QA or their devs, but Bethesda games are often littered with more bugs than I see just about anywhere else.  I say this as someone who has loved the Elder Scrolls series since Daggerfall. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Compared to Bioware games, TES has less guided Storylines.

In fact usually any game of the TES series has only 1 big storyline but hundreds of smaller quests.

Generally in TES, I wait until I explored all the map and finish every little quest before finishing the main storyline.

In bioware games though it is the opposite, I grind on the main storyline and tend to skip the smaller quests.

That's why I say that Bethesda style is more suited to MMORPGs than Bioware.

Because with Bethesda you fall in love for the world and everything that happens in it, while in Bioware games you just care for the storyline

This will be my next MMO, I ve been waiting 10 years for this game.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

oh dear, here comes another AOC.

100's of devs and only 10's of millions of dollars, an MMO does not make... not even close!

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Wait... at the beggining it said a "World of Warcraft" type mmo... Then at the end it says the ultimate sandbox. Those two things are way too contradictory.

If it is in fact an Elder Scrolls mmo that plays like the games then it will not be WoW and then I'd play it, lol. Because i've been waiting for this ever since I played morrowind after having played lineage 1.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I've always felt Morrowind or Oblivion were already well suited to being converted into MMOs, the sandbox style of gameplay and character development could easily be transposed. Granted, Bethesda have no experience with MMOs but I can see them coming up with something great if they build their previous concepts into a new game created from scratch to be an MMO. Their ideas and 'vision' for TES have always been very MMO friendly so I think they'll have a much easier job of transitioning compared to many other DEVs.

Being a popular franchise, however, means the fans will expect a lot. The most important things Bethesda has to be sure to implement is the sandbox playstyle, primary first-person perspective, ALL of the races and the majority of the current mapped TES gameworld. People will be expecting these things unfortunately, and without at least the first three it won't be a TES game...

In terms of story-line potential, I can see them making use of the Aedric and Daedric Gods in some form... maybe involving ALL of them in some sort of larger over-arching story. A true war of the gods perhaps? This would allow for distinct player factions and some interesting expansion potential.

Will be interesting to see how they approach Necromancy and the Fame/Infamy system though, since if the sandbox style of the previous games is followed properly then some players will find themselves outlawed in major cities.

• Tobias4Tobias4 Member Posts: 22

Elderscrolls should always remain a single play RPG. 

Change it to an MMORPG and you'd have to gut most of the features that makes Elderscrolls what it is. How do people not realize this? 

Can you have an MMO where you can kill all NPCs and they stay dead? No. Can you have highly detailed intricate quest lines that change the game world based upon the players actions? No, unless you just put everyone in an instance, then what is the bloody point of an MMO. 

I can see Elderscrolls as a coop RPG at most, NOT an MMORPG. 

• Tobias4Tobias4 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by tro44_1

I just hope it doesnt use the Manual Swing thing like Darkfall.

Also hope it not 1st person required. That I dont want

So you want it to be nothing like Elderscrolls? (this is the problem with making an Elderscrolls MMO) 

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Originally posted by Tobias4

Elderscrolls should always remain a single play RPG. 

Change it to an MMORPG and you'd have to gut most of the features that makes Elderscrolls what it is. How do people not realize this? 

Can you have an MMO where you can kill all NPCs and they stay dead? No. Can you have highly detailed intricate quest lines that change the game world based upon the players actions? No, unless you just put everyone in an instance, then what is the bloody point of an MMO. 

I can see Elderscrolls as a coop RPG at most, NOT an MMORPG. 

The point is, an mmo with the gameplay of the elder scrolls games would be great. Fit in the lore of the game and that just makes it even more appealing. It's not like the game in mmo form will destory any further development into a single-player game. It's just that they could use their already made talent into creating an mmo. Single Player games will always have the upper hand of story and immersion. Take final fantasy for example. They have mmos and single player games. The two feel different completely as what you are saying the ES will be like in comparison. It'd be more like a spin-off.

• lakers4evalakers4eva Member UncommonPosts: 15

If its true they are making it like WOW, how can it be a "true sandbox" game to? Everybody knew that its just a matter of time till Elder Scrolls is going to be made a MMO and i think everybody would expect it to be sandbox style, but if its going to be anything like WOW, then it wont be a Sandbox. Two completely oposit types. Its like its white like black.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Oblivion is one of most boring games ever. Big empty world of nothing. With just terrible animation. All characters moving like they ate wooden stick ... etc ...

But idea of medieval world with magic is interesting, just hope this will not be Oblivion I have tried few times to play.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by ste2000

Compared to Bioware games, TES has less guided Storylines.

In fact usually any game of the TES series has only 1 big storyline but hundreds of smaller quests.

Generally in TES, I wait until I explored all the map and finish every little quest before finishing the main storyline.

In bioware games though it is the opposite, I grind on the main storyline and tend to skip the smaller quests.

That's why I say that Bethesda style is more suited to MMORPGs than Bioware.

Because with Bethesda you fall in love for the world and everything that happens in it, while in Bioware games you just care for the storyline

This will be my next MMO, I ve been waiting 10 years for this game.

Well said, nothing to add.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I just wonder if they will go with real time combat considering every mmo thus far (that has had such) has felt clunky and unresponsive. For indie studios like adventurine and icarus this is understandable and acceptable to a degree, but for a huge IP like ES I just don't see it being successful if it feels unresponsive and unnatural. People will expect such a game to feel polished and highly responsive, is that possible in an MMO at this point?

Everything else with elderscrolls, kinda fits an MMO setting to a degree excluding open theft I would assume. This is the series dubbed the shy mans MMO after all (gameinformer review of morrowind). I still remember them comparing various aspects of game-play to that which you find in EQ and other games at the time, was actually a very interesting review.

I will definitely keep an eye on this games development.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson